Training Camp, 2021

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Are #s 2 and 3 something you're hearing or seeing a lot of? I saw one poster react that way, and am not seeing "tailspins" or hearing cries for Funchess' job from others that I know in real life (of a variety of sociopolitical leanings).

I ask because you appear to be responding to me, so I'm bristling a little bit at what seems like a lotta vitriol born out of my posting.

No vitriol. Just my honest thoughts and an attempt to pull both "sides" together into perspective (i.e. two people, apparently disagreeing, can by making good points that don't contradict). I know it probably seemed like I was directing #2 and #3 at you because I was replying to you, but that's not the case. I replied to you only because that was my attempt to forward the discussion. And yes, I was referring to the exact post you're referencing as the tailspin-- the guy who called for Funchess' job and then acted shocked that people didn't agree with that.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No vitriol. Just my honest thoughts and an attempt to pull both "sides" together into perspective (i.e. two people, apparently disagreeing, can by making good points that don't contradict). I know it probably seemed like I was directing #2 and #3 at you because I was replying to you, but that's not the case. I replied to you only because that was my attempt to forward the discussion. And yes, I was referring to the exact post you're referencing as the tailspin-- the guy who called for Funchess' job and then acted shocked that people didn't agree with that.

Understood. Also understood and fine with me to leave this all for another thread -- I love discussing the tough stuff w/those who are interested/sincere/earnest, but recognize there's better spots.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Reading a lot of positive buzz for UDFA Innis Gaines, safety from TCU.

He's apparently earned some snaps with the one's.

Tipa Galeia is also supposed to be having a strong camp and may be pushing to make the roster as the 4th guy at OLB.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Folks, as always, consider the source. The poster didn't have any click-bait opinions on anything to do with the Pack (which does seem strange, given their history), so they jumped on this.

FWIW, I'm happily married to an Asian-American, and I don't have a problem with it.
It was a dumb comment but not mean spirited and IMO not racist, and he apologized. Time to move on and evaluate him based on his football skills. I don't expect a repeat of his comment in any form.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tipa Galeia is also supposed to be having a strong camp and may be pushing to make the roster as the 4th guy at OLB.
Whether he's on the 53 or PS (twitchy OLB may be sought after by other teams?) dude needs to hit the protein shakes and weight room hard this year. 6'-5", 229 lbs. Definitely a place for his skillset (speed rush & counter moves) but needs to add power to the equation for regular playing time. Excited to see him in action, though.

Looking forward to the young OL's fighting for a roster spot: Myers (of course), Braden, Newman, Runyan & Van Lanen pushing the vets. Nijman's last chance to show he's an NFL player.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far, the buzziest guys I'm reading about...

Elgton Jenkins: Has apparently looked rock solid at LT.

Juwann Winfree: Has garnered a lot of positive attention (may he leap frogs St. Brown and/or Funchess?).

Jordan Love: Showing a lot of progress and some remaining rough edges.

Josh Myers: Poised to start and play well immediately.

Ben Braden: Has worked his way in the discussion to start until Bakhtiari is back.

T.J. Slaton: Plays up to his size.

Chandon Sullivan: Has the much ballyhooed "star" position on lock so far.

Eric Stokes: Lots of rookie moments.

Josh Jackson: Trying to get cut.

Kabion Ento: Might be working his way into taking Jackson's place.
Thanks for putting this together Dantes. Jenkins is even better than we all thought, and Jackson a lot worse. Jackson will likely be cut to make room for Stokes. At this point, Jackson is a liability out there (well, he has been for a few years). I really thought he would be special, but hey, it's the NFL. Jenkins surprised to the upside, so things even out I guess.

Again, well done.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Looks like injuries are starting to mount.

Latest Packers injury/DNP list: Aaron Jones (hamstring) Kenny Clark (groin) Rashan Gary (groin) Juwann Winfree (shoulder) Equanimeous St. Brown (hamstring) Kamal Martin (knee) Randy Ramsey (ankle) Chris Blair (ankle)

Any of these serious?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Latest Packers injury/DNP list: Aaron Jones (hamstring) Kenny Clark (groin) Rashan Gary (groin) Juwann Winfree (shoulder) Equanimeous St. Brown (hamstring) Kamal Martin (knee) Randy Ramsey (ankle) Chris Blair (ankle)

Any of these serious?
Don't know but hamstring is almost always problematic, and takes a lot of time to heal. But who knows?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Any of these serious?
Pretty sure all are "precautionary" right now except for Ramsey who is pretty serious. Will be "listed" (IR?) as part of Tuesday's cut-downs to 85.

Krabs

Reaction score
I know the Packers have had some good O-lines in the past and it is always a point of emphasis for them. However, does anyone remember such a deep offensive line going into the season before? There's some major battles going on to make this roster.

Jenkins, what a pick this guy has been. Sounds like he is going to start for Bakh. He's been running first team snaps at LT. He can literally, and has played, anywhere on the line. Runyan and Braden have been competing to be the starting left guard. Runyan was good last year and Braden has been the talk for a while now. I was a little suspect on Braden, but it appears he is coming into his prime and with all the competition it appears everyone is pushing each other. We know what Rodgers said about Myers and all indications are that he is a lock to start at center with a solid backup in Hanson. Then we have Patrick at right guard, who is a seasoned veteran. Then Turner at RT with Kelly backing him up. Oh, and they're all gigantic human beings. "The average of the (assumed) top eight guys along the offensive line is somewhere around 6-5 and 314 pounds". - Packers Wire

Maybe it is not the most dominant line they have had, but it is deep and we know how injuries go with the offensive line. Lastly, this is all with Bakh on the PUP. Rodgers should stay clean with Jones and Dillion finding plenty of running room. This will be fun to see how it all plays out.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins' cap # in '21 is $1.8Mil, and $2.1Mil in '22 (his last under contract)... he's in line for a HUGE payday when Gute extends him next year. With his position-flexibility and being an absolute stud I think he gets paid like a LT in the $20-$23Mil/yr range (similar to Bakh). More reason to clear cap in '22.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins' cap # in '21 is $1.8Mil, and $2.1Mil in '22 (his last under contract)... he's in line for a HUGE payday when Gute extends him next year. With his position-flexibility and being an absolute stud I think he gets paid like a LT in the $20-$23Mil/yr range (similar to Bakh). More reason to clear cap in '22.
That's probably why they'll either have to tag Adams for one year or let him walk. Jenkins is a lot younger and can play all five O line positions. If Adams and Rodgers are gone next year, maybe they have some cap to go after other talent. I'm most worried about the QB spot, but who isn't?

Krabs

Reaction score
That's probably why they'll either have to tag Adams for one year or let him walk. Jenkins is a lot younger and can play all five O line positions. If Adams and Rodgers are gone next year, maybe they have some cap to go after other talent. I'm most worried about the QB spot, but who isn't?
I don't think they let Adams walk. They will figure out a deal for him this year. Then they will worry about Jenkins next season. If I were a betting man I would put money on both of them being Packers for an extended amount of time yet.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they let Adams walk. They will figure out a deal for him this year. Then they will worry about Jenkins next season. If I were a betting man I would put money on both of them being Packers for an extended amount of time yet.
I certainly hope you're right! And I hope they find a QB who can get the ball to Adams, among others.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know the Packers have had some good O-lines in the past and it is always a point of emphasis for them. However, does anyone remember such a deep offensive line going into the season before? There's some major battles going on to make this roster.

Jenkins, what a pick this guy has been. Sounds like he is going to start for Bakh. He's been running first team snaps at LT. He can literally, and has played, anywhere on the line. Runyan and Braden have been competing to be the starting left guard. Runyan was good last year and Braden has been the talk for a while now. I was a little suspect on Braden, but it appears he is coming into his prime and with all the competition it appears everyone is pushing each other. We know what Rodgers said about Myers and all indications are that he is a lock to start at center with a solid backup in Hanson. Then we have Patrick at right guard, who is a seasoned veteran. Then Turner at RT with Kelly backing him up. Oh, and they're all gigantic human beings. "The average of the (assumed) top eight guys along the offensive line is somewhere around 6-5 and 314 pounds". - Packers Wire

Maybe it is not the most dominant line they have had, but it is deep and we know how injuries go with the offensive line. Lastly, this is all with Bakh on the PUP. Rodgers should stay clean with Jones and Dillion finding plenty of running room. This will be fun to see how it all plays out.
Any word on when they expect to play Bakhtiari? Thanks.

Krabs

Reaction score
What do you know that I don't?
Hanson is on the bubble for sure. Solid might be the wrong word. A potential solid back up in Hanson might be a better way of putting it. He got injured last year but was the anchor of Oregon's line when he was there. Bakh, Jenkins, Turner, Myers, Patrick, Kelly, Runyan and Braden make eight, but with Bakh on the PUP.

That leaves Newman, Van Lanen, Nijman, Hanson, Cronk, Johnson, Dietzen, and Capra to battle it out for two or three spots. I'm guessing three make it because of the Bakh injury. Newman was a 4th round pick and I think he makes it. Then I think you look at Hanson. I think he makes the squad. So again, solid was probably the wrong choice for Hanson. I think he is there though. I'm excited about this O-line.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hanson is on the bubble for sure. Solid might be the wrong word. A potential solid back up in Hanson might be a better way of putting it. He got injured last year but was the anchor of Oregon's line when he was there. Bakh, Jenkins, Turner, Myers, Patrick, Kelly, Runyan and Braden make eight, but with Bakh on the PUP.

That leaves Newman, Van Lanen, Nijman, Hanson, Cronk, Johnson, Dietzen, and Capra to battle it out for two or three spots. I'm guessing three make it because of the Bakh injury. Newman was a 4th round pick and I think he makes it. Then I think you look at Hanson. I think he makes the squad. So again, solid was probably the wrong choice for Hanson. I think he is there though. I'm excited about this O-line.
The last three will probably be Newman, Hanson, and Nijman. It is a solid O line, and it doesn't sound like they will miss too many beats at C. Rodgers seems happy with Myers and he would know.

The entire offense looks good. I think Amari Rodgers will be a valuable asset to the receiving corps, and he should be especially useful on the jet sweep and RPO plays and STs. I'm hoping Cobb has some moves in him. I get that Rodgers wanted him back, but given the way Rodgers develops chemistry with certain guys, I'm ok with that.

Bottom line is that this is most likely the Last Dance with #12. He's been a jerk, but so has the Packer FO. Fans forgive quickly, especially when the wins pile up.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts