Trading #14 pick

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, the usual thread for the coming season.

There's some discussions online about trading #14 with bills (who may go for Josh Allen, QB before the Cardinals) and getting #21 and #22 instead.

We pick Josh Jackson at #21 and Marcus davenport at #22 instead.

So, what's your thoughts on them?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I like Jaire Alexander better then Jackson but combine will tell a lot. I also like Harold Landry over Davenport as Landry is more refined.

Under this scenario I would take #21 Courland Sutton and #22 Harold Landry then hope we can get Jaire Alexander in 2nd round or trade back up to get him. That would be ideal as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with you but I'll switch it up slightly.

I'll take Will Hernandez and Courtland Sutton. This shores up the Guard spot and gives us Jordy's heir. In the 2nd Round I'm looking for Leighton Van der Esch from Boise State if his combine numbers don't catapult him into the 1st Round. If not, I like Taven Bryan from Florida. We need someone who can play 5 technique opposite Daniels.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm with you but I'll switch it up slightly.

I'll take Will Hernandez and Courtland Sutton. This shores up the Guard spot and gives us Jordy's heir. In the 2nd Round I'm looking for Leighton Van der Esch from Boise State if his combine numbers don't catapult him into the 1st Round. If not, I like Taven Bryan from Florida. We need someone who can play 5 technique opposite Daniels.

Taven Bryan would be nice. Get a corner in FA and draft another one later.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the things so many fans have cried about is that it is hard to get good players when picking as low as the Packers have been. Now that we have a higher pick some want to trade back. I'm not saying that's bad if you could do the trade with the Bills and get the 21,22 picks but I would be totally opposed to trading back into the 20s for 1 pick and some later round picks. We should have plenty of those. That is unless we could fleece the Cardinals like the 49ers fleeced the Bears last year. Get an extra pick or two for moving down 1 spot just so they can get their QB and we don't trade the pick to the Bills. We may have to throw in some of those later round picks for the Bills to go for it. According to the value chart they would be on the short end of the stick by about 500 points

I have no idea what players I would go for at 21,22 but it would make for an exciting day 1.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have an abundance of picks this year... I'd rather see us trade up once or twice instead of trading down...

If we trade down... Getting #21 and #22 for #14 and #45 seems decent, but I'd rather see us trade Buffalo for their first pick (#21) and their 2nd round pick (#53) in exchange for our #1 (#14) and #4 (#110) with them also adding in next years #1. Leaving us with these picks.

Buffalo #21
Packers #45
Buffalo #53
Packers #76
3rd Comp
Packers #141
5th Comp
5th Comp
5th Comp
Packers #172
Packers #206

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There's some discussions online about trading #14 with bills (who may go for Josh Allen, QB before the Cardinals) and getting #21 and #22 instead.

Assuming Josh Allen is still on the board at #14.

Assuming the Bills want to make that trade.

Assuming the Packers want to make that trade.

Assuming both those players are available at #21 & #22.

That's too much assuming for me, I'll just wait and see what happens.......:D

H

HardRightEdge

#14 is 480 points light on the Johnson value chart relative to #21 and #22. You'd have to give up the Packers #45 pick to make it even.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
think this thread belongs in draft section. but id like the trade with Bills. I expect other teams to even trade up to reach for players like every year.

H

HardRightEdge

We have an abundance of picks this year... I'd rather see us trade up once or twice instead of trading down...

If we trade down... Getting #21 and #22 for #14 and #45 seems decent, but I'd rather see us trade Buffalo for their first pick (#21) and their 2nd round pick (#53) in exchange for our #1 (#14) and #4 (#110) with them also adding in next years #1.
#21 + #53 = 800 + 370 = 1,170

#14 + #110 = 1,100 + 110 74= 1,174

There is no way you're getting Buffalo's 2019 1st. round pick in that deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if the Bills want....what they see as their QB for the next 10+ years.....they will glady overpay. teams do it every year. 100-500 points on a scale wont matter if they feel they got their guy. Thats the beauty of it...its not an even trade. You want to try to take advantage of that situation if your Green Bay.

Reaction score
This year the trade scale is skewed at the top. This QB crop is the best (according to most experts) in a decade. No way does the scale hold to the point at QB this year

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The trade I mentioned above is basically equal points wise 1174 Packers vs 1170 Bills... The first rounder next year would most likely be around 12-25, but those points don't count when trading. It will only be a possibility if there is a run on QB's before us and basically leaving only one QB left of the top echelon.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about we actually keep a somewhat high draft pick while we finally have one for once and use it instead of trading down for another marginal starter or two?

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
How about we actually keep a somewhat high draft pick while we finally have one fpr once and use it instead of trading down for another marginal starter or two?

Well if they do it right they could get 3 top 50 players. I don't know the last time that's happened.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i would like to see us keep 14....and try to mass another 2nd or 3rd round pick. it seems the early 2nd round will have some nice value...in WR CB TE

Reaction score
The trade I mentioned above is basically equal points wise 1174 Packers vs 1170 Bills... The first rounder next year would most likely be around 12-25, but those points don't count when trading. It will only be a possibility if there is a run on QB's before us and basically leaving only one QB left of the top echelon.
Similar to my theory. but my prediction is if the Jets or Denver locks a starting QB in FA it improves the chances of a trade back because those top echelon QBs slip a little further to #14. It’s been said that the Bills could move into the top 5. I doubt it because that would show almost a desperation level and would be very very costly and far beyond their 1st rounders to the tune of mortgaging themselves in a year where QBs are held at a premium (this year if anything).
How about we actually keep a somewhat high draft pick while we finally have one fpr once and use it instead of trading down for another marginal starter or two?
Because it’s another option. I understand your logic but you always keep your options open and work probability.
For instance let me give you a scenario where hypothetically pick #14 and he gets injured and winds up on the sideline all year (Dalvin Cook?) No ThankYou!! Plus there is zero guarantee your ideal top couple picks is even there at #14.

Scenario 2: Denver, Browns, Jets etc.. get a QB in FA then only 2 QBs get picked top 13.
Then there is a run on Defenders (assuming you personally want a Defender?) so ever mock Defender you’ve been salivating on for 2 months is gone because out of 11 remains picks prior to us.. 7-8 are Defense. Now what? Grab a guy that should be picked 20-something??
Again NoThankYou!

We may pick #14 and that’s a strict reality. But if we go in stubborn with blinders on we could end up getting another Datone Jones and I’m not at all ok with that. The chances of pick #21 and #22 both getting seriously injured or both failing is far less likely. There may not be that much difference between a #14 and #21 especially in the scenario with 2 high grades QBs being picked between #14-#20 (you’re already guaranteed to make sure #14 is a QB) Thats a total of 5 (or less) picks different plus a high level QB still hanging around with teams like, Arizona, Chargers (who very well could be use a Successor) or any other team to trade up for a QB (Steelers? Etc..) ready to make a move That’s hardly a career changing player difference in overall quality in most books.

Finally, this year is special because we have the draft capital to do the trade back and consolidate by moving up to overall multiple high picks. We have plenty of late rounders to work this deal while still leaving adequate selections. It’s much better than cutting 3-4 later round draft picks to make roster IMO. I’d rather do some form of consolidation to move up in a round or 2.

It’ll all depend FA and if teams like the Bills jump right past us and we may never even get the chance, but we shouldn’t just throw in the towel on a trade back either.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

if the Bills want....what they see as their QB for the next 10+ years.....they will glady overpay. teams do it every year. 100-500 points on a scale wont matter if they feel they got their guy. Thats the beauty of it...its not an even trade. You want to try to take advantage of that situation if your Green Bay.
The difference between a 5th. rounder and and 1st. rounder is a lot more than 100-150 points and teams do not do it every year. 25 years after he fact, despite the implications of the rookie salary scale, the NFL still adheres closely to Johnson's formulation with notable exceptions being uncommon.

There's a phrase for expecting somebody will do something unnecessarily to your advantage: "wishful thinking".

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering the first guys quote, we would be crazy not to make the trade, and I’ve seen mocks with us picking both those guys at 14. I doubt Buffalo would do that, 21 and 22 would get you into top 10 pick.
Now, if it did happen, and with all the picks we have later we could trade two for on and move up then.

Reaction score
i would like to see us keep 14....and try to mass another 2nd or 3rd round pick. it seems the early 2nd round will have some nice value...in WR CB TE
Or somewhere in between like move to the Chargers pick at #17 so they can pass the Cards. for a QB. That’s only 2 picks later and would probably get us another 2nd day selection.

H

HardRightEdge

The trade I mentioned above is basically equal points wise 1174 Packers vs 1170 Bills... The first rounder next year would most likely be around 12-25, but those points don't count when trading.
Nobody gives away a 1st. round pick for free.

Reaction score
Considering the first guys quote, we would be crazy not to make the trade, and I’ve seen mocks with us picking both those guys at 14. I doubt Buffalo would do that, 21 and 22 would get you into top 10 pick.
Now, if it did happen, and with all the picks we have later we could trade two for on and move up then.
Again, the QB value this year is being underestimated and IMO you can add a couple hundred points towards the top of the scale.
You’ll also have non QBs elite level players slip further if there is a run. Browns, Giants, Jets, Denver and someone to trade up for a QB ahead of us (perfect). That means we’d be picking a top 8-9 non QB position which gives us one heck of a player at #14.
Trade back or Not... Works good both ways being in the middle

H

HardRightEdge

Again, the QB value this year is being underestimated and IMO you can add a couple hundred points to the scale.
While QB desperation may escalate every year among the have nots, the talent in this current crop , if one envisions running a pro style offense, is not impressive.

Members online

Latest posts