Trade Scenario

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do you guys think of trading for Jimmy Goropollo? I hear the Pats were actually interested in 2nd rd pick for him during the off season. We're currently 4-3, so we're very much still alive for the playoffs and division.. but not if they keep losing winnable games. It would be a rental with Goropollo until yrs end...but he's as good as gone after this season in New England as well, so I'm sure they'd take offers for anything they can probably get for him vs him just leaving for nothing. He hasn't played a lot but from what I've seen he's clearly better than both Hundley and Callahan. He's also a mobile guy with a much better throwing arm than both as well.

I think if this team can at least be 6-6 by the time Rodgers starts throwing again, there's a possibility that he can come back and get us into the playoffs..but they have to be at least 500. or better.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
The Patriots will not give up a second round pick for Jimmy G. They most likely are not trading Jimmy G at all considering Brady's age and the fact they already traded Jacoby Brissett. Also, does not make sense for us to take Jimmy G for 6-8 games. He will be a starting QB somewhere, likely New England unless some team wants to give up two first rounders for him. Nothing about this trade scenario really makes any sort of sense.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I trust that Brett Favre or Drew Brees could step in and play reasonably well after a few games of acclimation, but not a limited QB like JG. No quarterback walks into a new offense and just picks it up. We would surely lose a few games just during the acclimation phase.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots will not give up a second round pick for Jimmy G. They most likely are not trading Jimmy G at all considering Brady's age and the fact they already traded Jacoby Brissett. Also, does not make sense for us to take Jimmy G for 6-8 games. He will be a starting QB somewhere, likely New England unless some team wants to give up two first rounders for him. Nothing about this trade scenario really makes any sort of sense.

Which is exactly why he's on the market now right? Especially with all these injured QBs or mediocre starters. You did read the part about him being a free agent after this year right? Or how about Brady wanting to ply 3-4 more years? So yes, it does actually make sense.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear the Pats were actually interested in 2nd rd pick for him during the off season.

1. He was a 2nd round pick for the Pats. No way they'll trade him back for 2nd round pick considering the time/effort they spent on his development. And teams like Browns will pay lot more to land him.
  2. Brady is 40 this season may retire if they win the SB this year. At best, I see him playing for 1 more year and (even then may share time with JG). Giselle want's him to retire too! Doubt Pats will let go of the best backup QB in the league this close to transition.
  3. JG won't come. He wants to be a starter and we can't promise that next season. It'd be stupid for him to jump now. And winning in new offence is difficult and may end up detrimental for him if he doesn't' pick this up fast.
I see him being Pats main QB next season if they win SB this time or maybe after next one, if they don't win it this year.

No Trade.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Which is exactly why he's on the market now right? Especially with all these injured QBs or mediocre starters. You did read the part about him being a free agent after this year right? Or how about Brady wanting to ply 3-4 more years? So yes, it does actually make sense.
There has not been trade rumors on Jimmy G since the end of last season. John Kraft has since stated it would take two first round picks for the kid. Yes he is supposed to be an FA this year, IF the patriots do not pay him. Which they have the cap space to pay them. And yes BRADY wants to play another 3-4 years, but have you seen him throw the ball this year? If not, I highly recommend watching a game. Brady is declining. Do not look at his stat lines, actually watch him play as I do every single week. He is throwing the ball about 2 feet behind every player on 80% of his passes. Luckily for him he has guys with great hands making unbelieveable catches. He is moving around the pocket well right now, but throwing the ball about as good as Brett Hundley. So while Brady may want to play another 3-4 years, BB is going to play the best QB and by next year, most people in New England think that guy is Jimmy G.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I trust that Brett Favre or Drew Brees could step in and play reasonably well after a few games of acclimation, but not a limited QB like JG. No quarterback walks into a new offense and just picks it up. We would surely lose a few games just during the acclimation phase.

You mean like Sam Bradford did for the Viqueens last year...after literally like a week of practice? I swear some of you guys are stuck inside a box. It's not impossible.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  1. He was a 2nd round pick for the Pats. No way they'll trade him back for 2nd round pick considering the time/effort they spent on his development. And teams like Browns will pay lot more to land him.
  2. Brady is 40 this season may retire if they win the SB this year. At best, I see him playing for 1 more year and (even then may share time with JG). Giselle want's him to retire too! Doubt Pats will let go of the best backup QB in the league this close to transition.
  3. JG won't come. He wants to be a starter and we can't promise that next season. It'd be stupid for him to jump now. And winning in new offence is difficult and may end up detrimental for him if he doesn't' pick this up fast.
I see him being Pats main QB next season if they win SB this time or maybe after next one, if they don't win it this year.

No Trade.

You do realize that the guy can go to any team he wants after the season right? You're talking like he's going to be there next year for sure. He's get more looks playing now than sitting on the bench waiting for TB to get injured. You guys crack me up.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean like Sam Bradford did for the Viqueens last year...after literally like a week of practice? I swear some of you guys are stuck inside a box. It's not impossible.
Except Rodgers could be back this year and most definitely will be back next year. They were saying Bridgewater was a year or possibly career ending injury and they had their defense in place and the offense was heavy on running the ball.

hardly the same situation. anyway, not a chance in hell I give a 2nd rounder for a guy that isn't going to take us anywhere and will be gone next year.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except Rodgers could be back this year and most definitely will be back next year. They were saying Bridgewater was a year or possibly career ending injury and they had their defense in place and the offense was heavy on running the ball.

hardly the same situation. anyway, not a chance in hell I give a 2nd rounder for a guy that isn't going to take us anywhere and will be gone next year.

We can agree on him being gone next season...but how do you know he wouldn't take the Packers anywhere? Are you a physic? i Like Goropollo, I think he could thrive in a West Coast style of offense.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do realize that the guy can go to any team he wants after the season right? You're talking like he's going to be there next year for sure. He's get more looks playing now than sitting on the bench waiting for TB to get injured. You guys crack me up.

Belichick has always paid importance to consistency, so it all depends on how many years they think they can persist with Brady. It'll take them couple of years to draft/trade and develop another QB, so not really a 2018 specific problem for them.

They can always put a Franchise tag on him and get him to stay for one more year. Financially it'll not be favourable to the Pats ofc, but if they believe it'll help long term, the short term cost may be considered worth the while.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can agree on him being gone next season...but how do you know he wouldn't take the Packers anywhere? Are you a physic? i Like Goropollo, I think he could thrive in a West Coast style of offense.
Not even the greatest QB in the league could take this team to the SB. Why would we waste resources for anyone else?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since when have we run a west coast offense? I don’t think they even know what a slant route is

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not even the greatest QB in the league could take this team to the SB. Why would we waste resources for anyone else?

That's probably the exact attitude Ted Thompson has. Which is exactly why they only have one SB appearance haha. Why trade draft picks for guys with experience who can help the greatest QB in the league take this team to antoher SB?? That's a terrible ideal haha smh

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Belichick has always paid importance to consistency, so it all depends on how many years they think they can persist with Brady. It'll take them couple of years to draft/trade and develop another QB, so not really a 2018 specific problem for them.

They can always put a Franchise tag on him and get him to stay for one more year. Financially it'll not be favourable to the Pats ofc, but if they believe it'll help long term, the short term cost may be considered worth the while.

Lol who puts the franchise tag on a backup QB?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More psycho than psychic, but if this were the beginning of the year and not halfway thru I may entertain the idea, of if he would be here longer or if I thought he could carry the team if Rodgers wasn't able to come back and give us a shot in the postseason. I'm not convinced he would, so no thank you on 2nd rounder or more to rent him for a half season

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More psycho than psychic, but if this were the beginning of the year and not halfway thru I may entertain the idea, of if he would be here longer or if I thought he could carry the team if Rodgers wasn't able to come back and give us a shot in the postseason. I'm not convinced he would, so no thank you on 2nd rounder or more to rent him for a half season

If you can get a guy via trade or FA that can help you win ball games you do it. The Packers realisticly have 3 more loses before they are in serious trouble of not making the playoffs at all and they could realistically Lose the next 3 games with what's going on with the defense and offense. They HAVE to find a spark after the bye week. Even if that means finding another QB.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why in the world would the Pats do that? Especially with a team that is exhibit A in the NFL on how to derail a season when the starting QB goes down. Situation is reversed and I'm killing TT for trading away a backup during the season for a 2nd round pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IMO, the Packers should have made a move on a vet QB last week, instead of promoting Callahan. Callahan was sitting on the PS, getting developed, why even promote him and pretend he is ready? If you think Hundley is having problems, imagine #7 going down and Callahan having to step in. Then who does TT sign? No matter what QB was brought in after AR went down, Hundley is your starter until he gets hurt or is ineffective. Both of those scenarios are still in play. The trade deadline is in one week (10/31) and much like the CB position last year, I don't see TT doing anything but staying pat with his own guys. This season seems to rest on the shoulders of Hundley and unless he figures things out quickly, I don't see more than 2-4 wins on our remaining schedule.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why in the world would the Pats do that? Especially with a team that is exhibit A in the NFL on how to derail a season when the starting QB goes down. Situation is reversed and I'm killing TT for trading away a backup during the season for a 2nd round pick.

I'll take a second round pick for Hundley! :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The reason the Pats won't be trading JG is pretty simple. One, what if Brady goes down? Two, even if Brady doesn't retire and JG is allowed to walk in free agency, they get a nice compensatory pick out of the deal. Maybe this roster is incorrect, but it doesn't even appear like the Pats even have a #3 QB on their roster, PS or IR? No way are they trading away their only insurance.

http://www.patriots.com/team/roster

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's just it tho, Brady has said a dozen times he wants to play into his mid 40's. I don't see them putting the franchise tag on Jimmy G.

Maybe. This is where it gets dicey. If they decide to go with Brady, they would be fixed with Brady for next 3 years (time for them to recruit and develop one more backup). If Brady deteriorates interim they'll get stuck.

Let's see what BillB does!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, the Packers should have made a move on a vet QB last week, instead of promoting Callahan. Callahan was sitting on the PS, getting developed, why even promote him and pretend he is ready? If you think Hundley is having problems, imagine #7 going down and Callahan having to step in. Then who does TT sign? No matter what QB was brought in after AR went down, Hundley is your starter until he gets hurt or is ineffective. Both of those scenarios are still in play. The trade deadline is in one week (10/31) and much like the CB position last year, I don't see TT doing anything but staying pat with his own guys. This season seems to rest on the shoulders of Hundley and unless he figures things out quickly, I don't see more than 2-4 wins on our remaining schedule.
I'm not sure I see much difference. Both Hundley and Callahan looked decent in their first preseason, both actually making the original 53 with Hundley being named the number 2. I don't think either one has much more than the other with the exception of Hundley being a 5th round pick out of a bigger school. I really don't think either one is ready to lead this team, but I'm not ready to say Callahan is an automatic downgrade to Hundley.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts