Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Fat Dogs

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all due respect, that isn't a plan, that is a simple notion. What is your plan in 2022? Will you draft the replacement? Trade for him? Sign a FA? When will this guy you begin to look for step in and replace Rodgers? How long on his rookie deal will he play before he is an above average QB? When does he want to renegotiate his contract if that happens?

I get what you want, you want absolutely no money committed to Rodgers, while having a rookie QB step right in and can lead the Packers to a Super Bowl because you have used the savings to strengthen the roster around him. It's a wonderful concept, but the reality of it is, if every team could do that, we would have 32 Super Bowl winners every season. What happens when it doesn't work? What happens when that 2 year window of a "cheap QB" turns into a $35M+ commitment, have you closed the window?

I don't think you are conceptualizing what the Packers are trying to do. They are not going all in on one year, they are trying to keep a 13-3 team together as much as possible, improving with only so much of their assets, with an eye on the future with other assets. This is unlike what some teams that had many years of losing have done, while finally hitting on a Rookie QB that made them a winner.

It will be no easy task to transition QB's and keep winning, especially for a team that relies so heavily on their current QB, but I see what Gute and **** are doing, as giving the Packers a real chance at doing so.

Here’s another scenario. What If Rodgers absolutely balls out this season. His stock is sky high. He assumes the writing is on the wall and decides he wants out sooner than later. He is given permission to seek a trade. The packers take a couple of firsts and roll with Love. The next few seasons are mediocre at best and we decide to move on from Love and draft a QB high.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol.

Again, not at all what I said. Good grief. Try again, kiddo.

You literally said he would've went over Mitch if he was more polished. The reality is the Bears took a huge gamble on a player with limited college experience and they failed

Good grief your constant mental gymnastics must get tiring. :roflmao:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You literally said he would've went over Mitch if he was more polished. The reality is the Bears took a huge gamble on a player with limited college experience and they failed

The point is that with his physical skills, if he was thought of as polished, he's going much higher than he did. Mahomes was not viewed as a polished player coming out of college. That's the point.

Reaction score
Again, not at all what I said. Good grief. Try again, kiddo.
I’ve been watching too much Charlie Brown because if this ain’t Charlie Brown sentiment? Nothing is! :tup:

Here’s another scenario. What If Rodgers absolutely balls out this season. His stock is sky high. He assumes the writing is on the wall and decides he wants out sooner than later. He is given permission to seek a trade. The packers take a couple of firsts and roll with Love. The next few seasons are mediocre at best and we decide to move on from Love and draft a QB high.
That’s not so far fetched and of course we’re talking hypotheticals here (if Rodgers plays at a high level he’ll likely stays and I think that’s what the Staff is carefully watching) But If GB was awarded a 1st and 2nd or even TWO 1st rounders in 2021-2022? Gute could easily afford to grab a second QB early in 2022 or 2023 with all that firepower.

You could have not one but two day 1 draft level QB’s competing for the starting role. It would essentially double the probability of landing a capable starter. It would also give us a nice temporary contingency plan there at QB. Not to mention we’d have the ability of eventually trading our #2 QB (who could have a 5th year option) and investing at another position. It’s no different than a team using the draft to acquire one, but they’d get a QB with a year of camp and preseason to look at.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

The point of what he said should be obvious. You're totally missing it.

Mahomes was draft 12th overall. With his tools, had he been as polished coming out as some people are claiming, he would have gone in the top 3. It has nothing to do with the Bears picking Trubisky. It has everything to do with how he was perceived as a prospect.

The fact that you can't seem to understand this is what's tiring.

OP
OP
Fat Dogs

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve been watching too much Charlie Brown because if this ain’t Charlie Brown sentiment? Nothing is! :tup:

That’s not so far fetched and of course we’re talking hypotheticals here (if Rodgers plays at a high level he’ll likely stays and I think that’s what the Staff is carefully watching) But If GB was awarded a 1st and 2nd or even TWO 1st rounders in 2021-2022? Gute could easily afford to grab a second QB early in 2022 or 2023 with all that firepower.

You could have not one but two day 1 draft level QB’s competing for the starting role. It would essentially double the probability of landing a capable starter. It would also give us a nice temporary contingency plan there at QB. Not to mention we’d have the ability of eventually trading our #2 QB (who could have a 5th year option) and investing at another position. It’s no different than a team using the draft to acquire one, but they’d get a QB with a year of camp and preseason to look at.

This is the last thing I would want but it’s possible. Rodgers is saying all of the right things but he has to be a little bitter. Why not command a trade to a contender for one last championship push. He could wait three years but why? His skills will only diminish and he knows the challenge of a new offense and unfamiliar receivers.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know no one really wanted a QB before the draft but Love seems to have grown on many. The mass has a way of influencing others. The more you read and hear the better an idea becomes. It happens to the best of us. I had no thought about an heir apparent for Rodgers but now I think its a smart idea ( obviously not love.) Now I’m wondering how many of you would trade Love for a Queen, Josh Jones, Mims, or pitman right now? I’m not saying to go back to the draft because losing that fourth would be a deal breaker. I’m just saying a strait up trade for one of those players. I really don’t think many on this board would.

Well I'd say....

1. You forgot to put Jordan Jefferson on that list in your poll. Probably the one player I'd trade for Love if indeed it happened. But it's a moot point.

2. I think the reason most people myself included are supportive of Love is because...

a. While I didn't think we needed our next QB this year, if we do have the guy even a couple years early, that's at least something we can cross off our list. Plus, while Rodgers plan is to be here into his 40s, you never know when an injury could end a QBs career prematurely like it did with Troy Aikman, Steve Young, Trent Green and Kurt Warner.

b. In the meantime, we have had some pretty lousy backups in here since Matt Flynn left. If Love proves to develop well and be an asset as a backup, there is something to be gained there.

So while I agree that QB shouldn't have been a priority in this draft, there is still good use we can put it to since we've done it.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anything is possible, say a catastophic Theismann-like or Bridgewater-like injury to Rodgers in 2020. Or Rodgers misses a few games and Love wins those games. These are not likely scenarios. The fact the Packers converted $11 mil of roster bonus to signing bonus, putting more dead cap into 2020+ just this past December should tell you there is no plan to turn the page at this time. You have to be a Rodgers hater or click-baiter to not see this.

The likely scenario is Rodgers plays 16 games, or however many there actually are, Love remains an unknown quantity, and dumping Rodgers for a one year $5 mil in cap savings will not going to happen. Maybe Love gets a start in the last game after the #1 seed is locked up. :rolleyes: Love would have to do something exceptional in multiple starts to make the 2022+ Rodgers cap savings attractive.

This is better viewed on par with the Patriots draft of Garoppolo in 2014. Brady was the same age as Rodgers is now. The Patriots had not won a Super Bowl in nine years, making two losing appearances. Perhaps the Packers might have gotten there a couple more times in the Rodgers era playing in a chronically sh*tty division like the AFC East and landing a couple more #1 seeds after 2011. Of course Brady won that 2014 Super Bowl and the clock was re-set.

While there is a lot of LaFleur and Gutekunst mind-reading going on, with a perspective in some quarters that the Packers are of a mind to re-form this offense into some version of the 2018 Titans, you're as likely to get Love as Mariotta-redux as anything else. Be careful what you wish for.

Anyway, when rumors had it that Kraft and Belchick were in disagreement over trading Garoppolo, with Belichick reportedly wanting to keep him, they could not have payed both. Kraft won out as of course he would. In this case, you better check with Murphy. He's still the uber-GM with Gutekunst, LaFleur and Ball still reporting to him. He's also the guy who negotiated Rodgers last extension going into the 2018 season. That was when a Rodgers trade would have been interesting as I said at the time, given his cheap years remaining before the extension and the picks that might have been landed in trade.

Maybe Gutekunst and LaFleur were not happy about more backloading of Rodgers cap last Decenber. Or maybe not. Maybe this is more about having a back-up in training, a replacement for some future undeterminable date, a RB to replace the incumbents heading to free agency, and a desire to use more, or more effective, lead back run sets with that 3rd. round pick. Mind read that, and the draft value of those picks in that scenario.

There's at least a 4th. No problem with drafting a developmental/backup QB, Love's a decent prospect and fits the bill, but he's a poor draft value.

His fall-off in his performance from 2018 to 2019 could be accounted for in the turnover of starters in his 2019 offense, 9 players I think it was. He was playing under a new OC. I've seen it mentioned that a new Utah State OC in 2019 = new system, but that was not the case. Let's stick with the graduation rate.

https://usustatesman.com/utah-state-football-fall-camp-mike-sanford-jr-offensive-coordinator/

That was the Mountain West, however, with a 2018 schedule that looked like this:

https://utahstateaggies.com/sports/football/schedule/2018

Love has the physical tools, but there isn't much evidence that the more important mental aspect of the game is sufficient with this serious step-up in competition and speed of the game.

I would not have had a problem if they took him or in the 3rd. round, or Hurts at that spot, instead of a glorified fullback. These players were not be available at that spot, one would say? Well, tough. Go with Fromm in the 4th, not the physical specimen one would prefer but purportedly a guy with a high football IQ having played against top competition.

Having watched Josh Allen several times the last couple of years with Buffalo, my local market team, he's in need of a breakout in year 3. Take away the running ability and he's not the much of a QB despite that 70 yard arm, size and productive legs, evidence to date saying he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer as football IQ goes. There is a litany of first round "franchise of the future" QBs who fit this profile but did not work out. It is more likely Love will be next on that list as anything else.

I think the odds of Fromm gettig off the bench for a start in front of a heathly Allen in 2021 is greater than the Packers parting ways with Rodgers after 2020. This is by way of saying the echo chamber and click-bait purveyors don't find much drama in that story, without a peep in the local press about what's wrong with Josh Allen in a place where getting to the playoffs requires looking past what might be rotten in Denmark.

Ding ding ding

Winner post right here

I don't put much stock into articles written by opinion heads who are completely clueless as to what the end game is here with the Love pick. I think what you mentioned about the Brady and Garropolo situation would be the most likely scenario we're looking at here.

Bottom line is while I know sometimes Rodgers gets flack here when he has those off games, there's no question he gives us the best chance to win hands down. Any talk of trading him for anything in 2021 is just catastrophically stupid and a terrible idea when you likely have no clue what you got in Jordan Love after this season.

Reaction score
Ding ding ding

Winner post right here

I don't put much stock into articles written by opinion heads who are completely clueless as to what the end game is here with the Love pick. I think what you mentioned about the Brady and Garropolo situation would be the most likely scenario we're looking at here.

Bottom line is while I know sometimes Rodgers gets flack here when he has those off games, there's no question he gives us the best chance to win hands down. Any talk of trading him for anything in 2021 is just catastrophically stupid and a terrible idea when you likely have no clue what you got in Jordan Love after this season.
I think it’s logical that the only way Love sees a starting role isn’t until 2022 (his 3rd season). That’s considered our “contract out” and it would take both Rodgers regressing further (for any variety of reasons) and Love showing promise. Otherwise it’s far more plausible in 2023 or Rodgers gets a short term deal. Much can happen in three seasons.

Like you said, in the meantime, Love does provide value because he commands a roster spot. Nobody stays in the 53 unless they present value, regardless of how some novice fans try to spin it.

One could even present this question for thought? If each team was forced to make additional roster cuts from the traditional #53 until they chose to lose their backup QB. At which roster spot would they kick their #2 QB to the curb on average? We know it wouldn’t be the first #22 players (11 Offense, 11 Defense) plus the P & K. But we also know he’s not the first to go either? Backup QB position presents value even if he never sees the field. He’s the most important backup after the starting roster.
I’ll start.. I put QB#2 just before the #34/#53 spot. Actually maybe a tad sooner because Love could play ST if needed. I’d call him a top #30 type roster spot.
Some Posters in here are acting like #2QB would be a practice squad level value (or worse)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

But If GB was awarded a 1st and 2nd or even TWO 1st rounders in 2021-2022? Gute could easily afford to grab a second QB early in 2022 or 2023 with all that firepower.

Love bot working out as planned should be the only reason for the Packers to invest another early rounder on a quarterback. Nobody should hope for that to happen.

Any talk of trading him for anything in 2021 is just catastrophically stupid and a terrible idea when you likely have no clue what you got in Jordan Love after this season.

The Packers most likely won't have a clue about how Love works out once they hand the reigns over to him no matter when tgat happens.

Backup QB position presents value even if he never sees the field. He’s the most important backup after the starting roster.

Actually maybe a tad sooner because Love could play ST if needed. I’d call him a top #30 type roster spot.

Backups that actually play for a significant amount of snaps are more important than a backup quarterback not seeing the field the entire season.

I highly doubt the Packers plan on using Love on special teams. Aside lf Taysom Hill all other QBs in the league combined to have 30 snaps on ST last season.

OP
OP
Fat Dogs

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I'd say....

1. You forgot to put Jordan Jefferson on that list in your poll. Probably the one player I'd trade for Love if indeed it happened. But it's a moot point.

2. I think the reason most people myself included are supportive of Love is because...

a. While I didn't think we needed our next QB this year, if we do have the guy even a couple years early, that's at least something we can cross off our list. Plus, while Rodgers plan is to be here into his 40s, you never know when an injury could end a QBs career prematurely like it did with Troy Aikman, Steve Young, Trent Green and Kurt Warner.

b. In the meantime, we have had some pretty lousy backups in here since Matt Flynn left. If Love proves to develop well and be an asset as a backup, there is something to be gained there.

So while I agree that QB shouldn't have been a priority in this draft, there is still good use we can put it to since we've done it.

I’m assuming you meant Justin Jefferson. I didn’t include him or any other prospects that went before the Love pick at #26. I agree that a reliable backup QB is important. I didn’t put much thought into it pre-draft but your right. Things happen. That being said... I’m also assuming that most anti lovers have my thought process. We took an unproven Mountain West QB who was turnover prone to (non NFL caliber DB’s) in the 1st. We can talk about his lack of weapons until we are blue in the face. Love had one decent 2018 (nothing spectacular like the mass would have you believe.) His highly touted 2018 season handed us 5 games under 200 yards. I think comparing Love to Tim Boyle and not Mahomes is probably a little more realistic.

Last edited:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It will all depend upon if Love is as good as Gute and MLF think he could be and why they drafted him in the first place.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the last thing I would want but it’s possible. Rodgers is saying all of the right things but he has to be a little bitter. Why not command a trade to a contender for one last championship push. He could wait three years but why? His skills will only diminish and he knows the challenge of a new offense and unfamiliar receivers.

Rodgers has to know we can't trade him right now. And who's to say he can't try for one last championship with the Packers? He should be even better this year with a full season in this new offense under his belt.

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They made their move. Jordan Love will be our QB after Rodgers' contract expires. This is the reality, we better get used to it.

OP
OP
Fat Dogs

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has to know we can't trade him right now. And who's to say he can't try for one last championship with the Packers? He should be even better this year with a full season in this new offense under his belt.

My scenario suggests a holdout. We know Rodgers is a competitor but he knows the packers will be in position to trade him after next season. Yes, he could make a run with the packers but would he want to knowing the organization is prepared to move on? This would put us in a horrible spot. We wouldn’t know what we had in love but 2 firsts for an aging QB that doesn’t want to be here? This is purely hypothetical but wouldn’t the FO have to at least think about it? Especially since their hope is that Love is the heir apparent.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not comparing them.

There is just a TON of revisionist history going on with the Rodgers selection and Mahomes scouting coming out of college. The predominant thing I recall reading on Mahomes was "This won't work in the NFL." If he was as polished as some are insinuating, he would've gone over Trubisky.

Obviously nobody expected Mahomes to be the best in the NFL but most analysts said he needed work and time, not that he couldn't cut it. He got both and, importantly, he's with a coach who has a long track record of being exceptional at teaching offense and he has amazing weapons around him.

I expect Love to eventually be the starter but he's not the prospect that Mahomes was, nor do the Packers have a proven top offensive coach and tremendous offensive talent. Those might come in time, but fans shouldn't look at Mahomes as a comparison for Love; it's not accurate and it's certainly unfair.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m assuming you meant Justin Jefferson. I didn’t include him or any other prospects that went before the Love pick at #26. I agree that a reliable backup QB is important. I didn’t put much thought into it pre-draft but your right. Things happen. That being said... I’m also assuming that most anti lovers have my thought process. We took an unproven Mountain West QB wiho was turnover prone to (non NFL caliber DB’s) in the 1st. We can talk about his lack of weapons until we are blue in the face. Love had one decent 2018 (nothing spectacular like the mass would have you believe.) His highly touted 2018 season handed us 5 games under 200 yards. I think comparing Love to Tim Boyle and not Mahomes is probably a little more realistic.

Yes, Justin J, I guess the name Jordan is on the brain right now.

And I really don't think we're going to find hardly any QBs to compare to Mahomes. That guy isn't gold, he's platinum and likely going to be the main attraction QB of the league for the next couple decades the way Peyton Manning was for a while.

Also, while it's not entirely unprecedented to trade a rookie fresh off the draft line, a move that the Chargers did with Eli Manning, it doesn't happen very often for good reason. Also, I can agree that Love may have been a bit overvalued, but if that's the case, I'd say trying to trade him then would be like trying to sell a brand new car fresh off the lot that now becomes greatly depreciated. So what would another team give for him? A pick somewhere in next year's draft maybe, but that would do nothing to help us this season. And Gute would probably just waste that pick anyway.

The real sentiment isn't anti-Love (or at least not yet), it's anti Gute. His competency at GM has to be seriously questioned right now. No I'm not saying he's done everything bad, I appreciate getting Alexander, the Smiths, and Savage, but there's been several glaring needs on this team for the last three years or so that he has abjectly failed to address.

3 offseasons to address the issues at WR. Hasn't done it.

Ridiculous loading of the active roster with 6 TEs every year. BAD.

He has gotten some new personnel this year at ILB and OL, but still highly questionable as to whether these moves are adequate.

I would like to at least see what we can do with Love before we decide to just ship him out. But Gute himself is coming across as anything but a genius. If we make our hoped for 9-7/10-6 record and the playoffs this year, I'm OK with giving him another crack at the offseason. Anything short of that though and he should be drop kicked out of here and a new outsider GM who actually knows what he's doing brought in.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I`m not having a go at you personally but sometimes I despair on here. We are fans, lets TRY and trust those who know a bit more than we do...….That`s why they are paid to do the job. No offence intended.
Yeah that’s well said Bill. I think most of us have articulated why we don’t like this draft. In these dark days, I’ll go with you and give the benefit of the doubt to the guys who live and breathe this stuff, and look forward to a new season with some hope. (Hope is in short supply these days anyway.). The FO guys know more than we do, for starters......

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
They made their move. Jordan Love will be our QB after Rodgers' contract expires. This is the reality, we better get used to it.

Not necessarily. Ideally yes, because that probably means Love worked out and is going to be a decent QB. They didn't draft Love to immediately replace Rodgers. This will play out and the way in which it will, will become more clear in the next 1-4 years. There are multiple outcomes from this, some of which would still have Rodgers in Green Bay until he retires.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think comparing Love to Tim Boyle and not Mahomes is probably a little more realistic.

Funny how Tim Boyle was an UDFA and Love was predicted by most experts to be a top 50 pick....not sure how you come up with your comparison being a more realistic one?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Yeah that’s well said Bill. I think most of us have articulated why we don’t like this draft. In these dark days, I’ll go with you and give the benefit of the doubt to the guys who live and breathe this stuff, and look forward to a new season with some hope. (Hope is in short supply these days anyway.). The FO guys know more than we do, for starters......

Thanks Joe. I just think we have to give the kid a chance to prove himself.

OP
OP
Fat Dogs

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny how Tim Boyle was an UDFA and Love was predicted by most experts to be a top 50 pick....not sure how you come up with your comparison being a more realistic one?

Tim Boyle also played in a college conference not known to produce NFL caliber players defenders. He also had trouble reading these defenses and threw a lot of picks to lesser competitors.

OP
OP
Fat Dogs

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Justin J, I guess the name Jordan is on the brain right now.

And I really don't think we're going to find hardly any QBs to compare to Mahomes. That guy isn't gold, he's platinum and likely going to be the main attraction QB of the league for the next couple decades the way Peyton Manning was for a while.

Also, while it's not entirely unprecedented to trade a rookie fresh off the draft line, a move that the Chargers did with Eli Manning, it doesn't happen very often for good reason. Also, I can agree that Love may have been a bit overvalued, but if that's the case, I'd say trying to trade him then would be like trying to sell a brand new car fresh off the lot that now becomes greatly depreciated. So what would another team give for him? A pick somewhere in next year's draft maybe, but that would do nothing to help us this season. And Gute would probably just waste that pick anyway.

The real sentiment isn't anti-Love (or at least not yet), it's anti Gute. His competency at GM has to be seriously questioned right now. No I'm not saying he's done everything bad, I appreciate getting Alexander, the Smiths, and Savage, but there's been several glaring needs on this team for the last three years or so that he has abjectly failed to address.

3 offseasons to address the issues at WR. Hasn't done it.

Ridiculous loading of the active roster with 6 TEs every year. BAD.

He has gotten some new personnel this year at ILB and OL, but still highly questionable as to whether these moves are adequate.

I would like to at least see what we can do with Love before we decide to just ship him out. But Gute himself is coming across as anything but a genius. If we make our hoped for 9-7/10-6 record and the playoffs this year, I'm OK with giving him another crack at the offseason. Anything short of that though and he should be drop kicked out of here and a new outsider GM who actually knows what he's doing brought in.

The post wasn’t about trading Love. It was word play to attract attention. It should probably be changed to avoid confusion. Love isn’t being traded. Rodgers future in GB can go a number of ways. I know most of my posts about Love are negative but I really do hope he proves me wrong. I love this team and I will cheer no matter who plays QB.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The post wasn’t about trading Love. It was word play to attract attention. It should probably be changed to avoid confusion. Love isn’t being traded. Rodgers future in GB can go a number of ways. I know most of my posts about Love are negative but I really do hope he proves me wrong. I love this team and I will cheer no matter who plays QB.

That would be easier to believe if you weren't comparing Jordan Love to Tim Boyle.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Tim Boyle also played in a college conference not known to produce NFL caliber players defenders. He also had trouble reading these defenses and threw a lot of picks to lesser competitors.

Again, if you want to think that Love and Boyle are a fair comparison simply because they both played in "a conference not known to produce NFL caliber players defenders", that is your prerogative. Would love to compare the rest of your scouting notes on Love with those of actual NFL scouts.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts