Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Jones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep love

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 6794

If the front office thinks Rodgers is a broken down old athlete who won't be able to stay healthy moving forward, the trade theory makes more sense. But it might benefit Love to sit and learn for at least a season.

There's no way the Packers can trade Rodgers at this point as the team would take an additional cap hit of $29.5 million for this season.

We signed Rodgers to his deal and we drafted Love nothing will change that fact so IMO there is no sense harping on it.

What's the point of having this forum in that case anyways???

In this hypothetical, you'd have the full benefit of a starting QB on his rookie deal in 2022-2023, with the ability to build around him more extensively in FA, and the ability to invest more around him with draft capital.

Once again, with cap space being allowed to be rolled over into next season there's no way to have the full benefit of a starting quarterback on a rookie deal until 2023.

No it wouldn't, if traded next year we free up 5 mill (and eat like 30 mill) and then correct me if I'm wrong, but he'd be off the books so we'd have Love cheap thereafter for 3 years giving a ton of cap availability.

The Packers would still have $31 million in dead money counting against their cap in 2021.

It would only be 2 years of having Love on his rookie deal (excluding 5th year option) and no Rodgers on the books.

Unless the Packers tear up his rookie deal, Love will be the same price, for 4 years, we know that already. So people saying that he could be cheap aren't thinking about it in the right way IMO. Now if you say "We Trade Rodgers at the end of 2020 and absorb the cap hit, than starting in 2022, the QB position is one that is "cheap" for the Packers.", you are viewing it in the right light.

You continue to ignore that the dead money occurring by trading Rodgers limits the cap space available in future years no matter what.

Who is saying to trade Rodgers for an unknown rookie QB?

There are people saying, "If Love has shown that he's good and ready, and other teams are willing to trade high assets for Rodgers, that is something that should be considered."

True, but Love will have a hard time proving that he's good and ready without getting meaningful playing time next season.

I also believe that his new team would be paying him his escalators/incentives:

• 2020-2023 Escalators ($1M Max)
    72.5 offensive snaps: $100,000 (earned in 2020)
    + divisional playoff game: $120,000 more (earned in 2020)
    + NFC Championship: $130,000 more
    + Super Bowl: $150,000 more
    $100,000 each for Top 3 in Passer Rating, Comp. %, INT %, Yards per Att., TD Passes ($100,000 earned in 2020)

We're talking about peanuts here.

It is always important to look to the future for any business. In some ways the team may be more likely to win a Super Bowl in 2-3 years without Rodgers (trades and extra cap space for free agents, plus a more balanced team).

It's important to look at the current state of the roster as well. Unfortunately Gutekunst completely ignored that in this year's draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
True, but Love will have a hard time proving that he's good and ready without getting meaningful playing time next season.

Come on Captain, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

So tell me, what your plan would have been to replace Rodgers? I will make it easier for you, you don't need to advance scout or give me names and you can assume the Packers will probably be picking in the back 1/3 of the draft. Please include the parts about when your draft pick will be ready to be a starting QB and how that plays into your notion of the importance of having a quality starting QB on a rookie deal.

D

Deleted member 6794

So tell me, what your plan would have been to replace Rodgers? I will make it easier for you, you don't need to advance scout or give me names and you can assume the Packers will probably be picking in the back 1/3 of the draft. Please include the parts about when your draft pick will be ready to be a starting QB and how that plays into your notion of the importance of having a quality starting QB on a rookie deal.

It's pretty easy, with Gutekunst restructuring Rodgers deal at the end of last season increasing the dead money for him to $17 million in 2022 it would have been smart to wait until the '22 draft to begin looking for a replacement.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the FO assessment is that they're unlikely to find a better QB prospect in the late first round in the next few years though... you take your guy when you have the chance. There can be no question about it, they think Love is the guy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's pretty easy, with Gutekunst restructuring Rodgers deal at the end of last season increasing the dead money for him to $17 million in 2022 it would have been smart to wait until the '22 draft to begin looking for a replacement.

With all due respect, that isn't a plan, that is a simple notion. What is your plan in 2022? Will you draft the replacement? Trade for him? Sign a FA? When will this guy you begin to look for step in and replace Rodgers? How long on his rookie deal will he play before he is an above average QB? When does he want to renegotiate his contract if that happens?

I get what you want, you want absolutely no money committed to Rodgers, while having a rookie QB step right in and can lead the Packers to a Super Bowl because you have used the savings to strengthen the roster around him. It's a wonderful concept, but the reality of it is, if every team could do that, we would have 32 Super Bowl winners every season. What happens when it doesn't work? What happens when that 2 year window of a "cheap QB" turns into a $35M+ commitment, have you closed the window?

I don't think you are conceptualizing what the Packers are trying to do. They are not going all in on one year, they are trying to keep a 13-3 team together as much as possible, improving with only so much of their assets, with an eye on the future with other assets. This is unlike what some teams that had many years of losing have done, while finally hitting on a Rookie QB that made them a winner.

It will be no easy task to transition QB's and keep winning, especially for a team that relies so heavily on their current QB, but I see what Gute and **** are doing, as giving the Packers a real chance at doing so.

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hoping a franchise QB develops out of a draft class in 2022 isn't better than having the right guy in your sights and then getting him now. I agree with the above posters who think that Gute (and likely LaFleur) think that Love is the next face of this franchise. How many franchises set themselves back multiple years by taking a QB in the first who doesn't pan out, just because they need a QB now (Trubisky, Bortles, Manziel, Haskins probably, there are so many recent QB's to choose from). I mean, if Gute is wrong and Love is only an average QB, he's probably fired and may never be a GM again. Stakes are always high.

D

Deleted member 6794

What is your plan in 2022? Will you draft the replacement? Trade for him? Sign a FA? When will this guy you begin to look for step in and replace Rodgers? How long on his rookie deal will he play before he is an above average QB? When does he want to renegotiate his contract if that happens?

It would have been way too early to speculate about how the Packers could have addressed the quarterback position in 2022. With Rodgers contract including a significant amount of dead money until then that would have been the perfect time to look for his replacement in the draft though.

As a side note, with the rookie wage scale in place players are not allowed to renegotiate their rookie contracts until the completion of the third season in the league.

I don't think you are conceptualizing what the Packers are trying to do. They are not going all in on one year, they are trying to keep a 13-3 team together as much as possible, improving with only so much of their assets, with an eye on the future with other assets.

I fully understand what the Packers are trying to do but would have preferred them to mainly focus on surrounding Rodgers with enough talent for next season to make them a legit Super Bowl contender in 2020.

Hoping a franchise QB develops out of a draft class in 2022 isn't better than having the right guy in your sights and then getting him now.

The difference would have been the ability to improve the talent around Rodgers for this season as well as fully benefitting from having a starting quarterback on a rookie deal.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference would have been the ability to improve the talent around Rodgers for this season as well as fully benefitting from having a starting quarterback on a rookie deal.

Right, but what if the draft in 2022 is a Cutler, Leinert, Young level year where they set you back years because they're just not good enough. Take the guy you want now when you can IMO. These guys are probably already thinking 3-4 years ahead anyway, maybe they don't see a guy who we can get with half the talent as Love given that we're perpetually in the lower part of each round. No way we get a chance to select Trevor Lawrence or the like.

D

Deleted member 6794

Right, but what if the draft in 2022 is a Cutler, Leinert, Young level year where they set you back years because they're just not good enough. Take the guy you want now when you can IMO. These guys are probably already thinking 3-4 years ahead anyway, maybe they don't see a guy who we can get with half the talent as Love given that we're perpetually in the lower part of each round. No way we get a chance to select Trevor Lawrence or the like.

It's probable that Love ends up not being an improvement over the quarterbacks you mentioned. The Packers acted as if Lawrence dropped to them though.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is always important to look to the future for any business. In some ways the team may be more likely to win a Super Bowl in 2-3 years without Rodgers (trades and extra cap space for free agents, plus a more balanced team). The Love pick was the Packers hedging their bets and diversifying their portfolio in a genius manner.

So, in your opinion, what's the tipping point of not helping the current team vs helping the future? For me, it would be when the current team is bad, not 13-3.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you recall how raw all the analysts thought Mahomes was coming out of college?

Yes, and Mahomes was still far more polished than Love. People need to stop comparing Love to Mahomes, aside from both having big arms they're not really comparable college prospects. Love, when throwing to covered receivers, lead FBS in INTs. Love was terrific throwing to open guys but he's not polished enough to make tight throws and more than a quarter of his completions in 2019 were on screen passes.

I'm not trying to say he CAN'T be good, but he's a long way from where Mahomes was coming into the league (that's not a knock, obviously Mahomes was REALLY effing good). Love needs to learn to read defenses and throw the ball into tight windows. People blame 2019 on his poor offensive weapons but many of his mistakes in 2019 were just failures to throw accurate passes and read defenses.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're forgetting roster bonuses, workout bonuses, likely incentives etc etc.

Its more then "just" the base salary

No, I'm not. Rodgers has exactly one more roster bonus due in 2021, a total of 3 $500,000 workout bonuses in his final three years.

It was hyperbole to say he'll cost as much as a rookie, but his final three years, without signing bonus aren't that expensive for a top-10 QB in the NFL. My point is, trading expensive player that are still owed significant portions of signing bonus is advantageous for the team receiving that player, because they don't have to account for it.

Reaction score
Yaaaawn... sorry. I just woke up from a 2 day nap and noticed I’ve been taking my wife’s sleeping pills by mistake since April

WE DRAFTED WHAT! :x3::eek:

:)In all seriousness though. Why would we trade a player whom just about every team passed on throughout a 5 hour process?

Last edited:

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Rodgers' comments at his press conference today, they cannot trade Love. Rodgers will not re-sign with the Packers. He didn't say it straight out, but it was clear.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Rodgers' comments at his press conference today, they cannot trade Love. Rodgers will not re-sign with the Packers. He didn't say it straight out, but it was clear.

Were people really expecting him to get another contract with the Packers a month ago?

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers is under contract with the Packers for four more seasons.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This entire offseason has been LaFleur revamping the offense for an aging Rodgers and bolstering the defense to improve against the run. Everything makes sense so far including the Love pick (the older a quarterback gets, the more likely they are to become injured AND regress due to injury).

I'll say this: I much rather have Love backing up Rodgers this year than Boyle.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers has a good season, and the staff feels that Love is ready to start in year 2, the FO could have a very interesting decision on their hands.

I am working with the assumption that unless he's just a total bust, Love is the guy starting in 2022. I don't believe they would draft a QB in the first round and sit him for three years. I say that with full understanding that Rodgers sat three seasons, but I'm just giving my opinion that it won't be the case this time.

So what if a team wants to give up a really nice haul for Rodgers? What if someone offered a 1st and a 2nd, a la the Carson Palmer trade? If the FO has plans to give the reigns to Love in 2022 regardless, then does it make sense to pass on that kind of draft capital, even if it means eating a huge chunk of dead money?

In this hypothetical, you'd have the full benefit of a starting QB on his rookie deal in 2022-2023, with the ability to build around him more extensively in FA, and the ability to invest more around him with draft capital. That would be pretty alluring, despite the costs associated with moving on from Rodgers early.

Of course Rodgers sat for 3 years... ;)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If Rodgers has a good season, and the staff feels that Love is ready to start in year 2, the FO could have a very interesting decision on their hands.

I am working with the assumption that unless he's just a total bust, Love is the guy starting in 2022. I don't believe they would draft a QB in the first round and sit him for three years. I say that with full understanding that Rodgers sat three seasons, but I'm just giving my opinion that it won't be the case this time.

So what if a team wants to give up a really nice haul for Rodgers? What if someone offered a 1st and a 2nd, a la the Carson Palmer trade? If the FO has plans to give the reigns to Love in 2022 regardless, then does it make sense to pass on that kind of draft capital, even if it means eating a huge chunk of dead money?

In this hypothetical, you'd have the full benefit of a starting QB on his rookie deal in 2022-2023, with the ability to build around him more extensively in FA, and the ability to invest more around him with draft capital. That would be pretty alluring, despite the costs associated with moving on from Rodgers early.

Of course Rodgers sat for 3 years... ;)

;)

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RRyder, I think many people, perhaps most, were hopping Rodgers would finish his career in GB. I was. Now I think there's very little chance of this, and I think this is so because of his personal response to the draft. The GM didn't try to improve now, and nobody thought to take a few minutes to give him a heads up.
He might or might not be offended, but he clearly knows they don't see him as quite the partner/leader he thought they did or wants them to.
What's the old saying? People will forget the specifics but they won't forget how you made them feel. The way he talks about leaving now is different from a year ago.
Clearly I am guessing a lot about a guy's thoughts, but this is about more just a draft pick.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, and Mahomes was still far more polished than Love. People need to stop comparing Love to Mahomes, aside from both having big arms they're not really comparable college prospects. Love, when throwing to covered receivers, lead FBS in INTs. Love was terrific throwing to open guys but he's not polished enough to make tight throws and more than a quarter of his completions in 2019 were on screen passes.

I'm not trying to say he CAN'T be good, but he's a long way from where Mahomes was coming into the league (that's not a knock, obviously Mahomes was REALLY effing good). Love needs to learn to read defenses and throw the ball into tight windows. People blame 2019 on his poor offensive weapons but many of his mistakes in 2019 were just failures to throw accurate passes and read defenses.

I am not comparing them.

There is just a TON of revisionist history going on with the Rodgers selection and Mahomes scouting coming out of college. The predominant thing I recall reading on Mahomes was "This won't work in the NFL." If he was as polished as some are insinuating, he would've gone over Trubisky.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not comparing them.

There is just a TON of revisionist history going on with the Rodgers selection and Mahomes scouting coming out of college. The predominant thing I recall reading on Mahomes was "This won't work in the NFL." If he was as polished as some are insinuating, he would've gone over Trubisky.

One team decided to trade up for Mitch, who started a grand total of ONE YEAR at NC, therefore Mahomes wasn't as polished :confused:

Members online

Latest posts