Trade idea!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

packerpower

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Howdy folks, first time poster, long time fan. I have ALWAYS had great trade ideas for the Packers, and one of them almost happened exactly how I called it several years ago. HERE is my proposition for this year:

Packers trade: Clay Matthews, Jermichael Finley, 3rd round pick.

TO

Browns trade: Josh Cribbs, 1st round pick (#7), Alex Mack.

WHY THIS IS A GREAT TRADE is because Clay Matthews and Jermichael Finley are UNPROVEN. They showed flashes last year, but they might prove to be a flash in the pan. Josh Cribbs is a proven playmaker, and Mack, well, he's better than anyone on our OFFENSIVE (pun intended) line. Not only that, but the Packers get the #7 pick, which they can use to draft the top LEFT TACKLE available at #7!

Aaron Rodgers is looking promising, but he does not need a tight end. Only rookies do, and he's far from a rookie now. Get value for Finley while we can, and get a guy who can do it from anywhere on the field in CRIBBS.

CLEARLY this deal would make our team much better, and I believe the Browns would take it.

:happy0005:

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can say is...."o?"

Let's toss in Lambeau field, and 2 of our 3 Super Bowl trophies while we're at it....:suicide:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kick returners last about 2 good seasons then they are done. Trading proven players for unproven is a huge risk. There is zero chance of this even being considered by management.

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TO

Wouldnt mind having Cribbs, Mack, or the 1st round pick... but giving up Matthews....would be hard giving up. First round draft pick last year...that did pretty good in the 3-4....A.J. Hawk instead would be fine by me....However i doubt the Browns would accept that.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49wEr2le4G0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49wEr2le4G0[/ame]

packerfan191

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion, that trade will never happen. Matthews is too good. I think it is awesome having both Hawk and Matthews.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Howdy folks, first time poster, long time fan. I have ALWAYS had great trade ideas for the Packers, and one of them almost happened exactly how I called it several years ago. HERE is my proposition for this year:

TO

WHY THIS IS A GREAT TRADE is because Clay Matthews and Jermichael Finley are UNPROVEN. They showed flashes last year, but they might prove to be a flash in the pan. Josh Cribbs is a proven playmaker, and Mack, well, he's better than anyone on our OFFENSIVE (pun intended) line. Not only that, but the Packers get the #7 pick, which they can use to draft the top LEFT TACKLE available at #7!

Aaron Rodgers is looking promising, but he does not need a tight end. Only rookies do, and he's far from a rookie now. Get value for Finley while we can, and get a guy who can do it from anywhere on the field in CRIBBS.

CLEARLY this deal would make our team much better, and I believe the Browns would take it.

:happy0005:
You are joking right. Mathews and Finely are first round caliber players, Finely has the potential to be something special in this league.

I could see your point about the TE, but Finely is much more than your standard TE, with the current state of our O-line, we still need a TE in this offense.

At this point it could be argued that Finely is our #1 receiver, if not with the age of DD he is our #2 guy next year.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummmm the # 7 overall pick is unproven. Hawk was picked ahead of that.........and everyone was saying how good he was and he was the safest pick in the draft..(I like Hawk and think he's good but not great)

Why would we want Cribbs........when we can get McCluster in the draft. He is younger.....and will cost less. As far as Mack is concerned........we will probably address the o line in the first 2 rounds of the draft.

Last but not least.............people already don't like TT. If he made that trade...........he would be in the unemployment line in no time. After they searched his locker, desk, and auto for a crack pipe.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WHO IS THIS GUY!!!!!

Are you kidding me???? Let's trade Rodgers and our 1st rounder for Seneca Wallace!!!!

My God! This has to be the worst idea I've ever seen... I'm seriously considering locking this thread or putting it in the Smack Talk area...

A1MEANGREEN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
.people already don't like TT. If he made that trade...........he would be in the unemployment line in no time. After they searched his locker, desk, and auto for a crack pipe.[/QUOTE]
now thats funny. i am with you on that

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that you're a Browns fan LOL. But seriously that trade will never happen. I can see where you're coming from on the Matthews being unproven, he reminds me of AJ Hawk where his rookie stats seem out of this world but continues to disapoint year after year. However Finley on the other hand is not so unproven. He was great last year when he did see some time (see TB, Lions, Panthers games in '08. Finley confirmed what the coaches saw in him in '08 with his monster '09 campaign. Finley is a consistent player who seems on the right track every season.

+RAY+

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get rid of Matthews?? You surely can't be freakin serious!!! Clay Matthews is a beast!!

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that you're a Browns fan LOL. But seriously that trade will never happen. I can see where you're coming from on the Matthews being unproven, he reminds me of AJ Hawk where his rookie stats seem out of this world but continues to disapoint year after year. However Finley on the other hand is not so unproven. He was great last year when he did see some time (see TB, Lions, Panthers games in '08. Finley confirmed what the coaches saw in him in '08 with his monster '09 campaign. Finley is a consistent player who seems on the right track every season.

I sure hope Mathews is not a repeat of Hawk. Your fears can be justified though. Our easy schedule last year may have attributed to Mathews stats, he did not show really well in the playoff game and some of his performances against the better teams were not so exciting.

Yet he was a rookie, lots of different looks and things to learn.

It will be interesting to see who has more sacks next year, Mathews or Jones.

I agree with you on Finely, you can see constant improvement and consistency in his play, Mathews play at the end of the season was not so consistent.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sure hope Mathews is not a repeat of Hawk. Your fears can be justified though. Our easy schedule last year may have attributed to Mathews stats, he did not show really well in the playoff game and some of his performances against the better teams were not so exciting.

I agree with you on Finely, you can see constant improvement and consistency in his play, Mathews play at the end of the season was not so consistent.

Well the reason why Matthews didn't really show up the last two games was because they played really conservative with him. Seattle and Arizona in weeks 16 and 17 were already done with their seasons. However, WTF on Matthews not showing well in the playoffs?? He has 5 Tckls, 1 Sack, 1FF. What do you want from him?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When you look at Matthews' rookie stats, yeah, you can think about guys such as Hawk, or Kamerion Wimbley, who had 11 sacks in his rookie year and then faded away.

But take a look at HOW those sacks were made, and the plays he made.

----

I had a discussion with Aaron Nagler of CheeseheadTV a while ago because of Kampman. He said that Kampman got all his sacks in clear passing downs, to which I argued that a lot of the other sackers also get it that way, and that being (in that moment) the 3rd best sacker in the league wasn't small feat.

But he was right. Kampman gets his sacks not by outstanding play, but by being able to solely concentrate on the passer, and by his big motor.

CM3, on the other hand, plain beats his opponents.

He has the best balance I've seen from a pass rusher in a while. He's able to dip, turn the corner is a hearthbeat, and get to the QB.
NFL Videos: Playbook: Packers defense
1:10 in the vid, you'll see what I'm talking about. That's just impressive.

Actually, just look at the whole vid, and you'll get a sense to what kind of player we have.

-----

He's not unproven. The fact that the Cardinals double teamed AND chip blocked him the entire game, and yet he still came away with a sack, a fumble forced AND a fumble recovered speaks volumes to what kind of monster he is.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you look at Matthews' rookie stats, yeah, you can think about guys such as Hawk, or Kamerion Wimbley, who had 11 sacks in his rookie year and then faded away.

But take a look at HOW those sacks were made, and the plays he made.

----

I had a discussion with Aaron Nagler of CheeseheadTV a while ago because of Kampman. He said that Kampman got all his sacks in clear passing downs, to which I argued that a lot of the other sackers also get it that way, and that being (in that moment) the 3rd best sacker in the league wasn't small feat.

But he was right. Kampman gets his sacks not by outstanding play, but by being able to solely concentrate on the passer, and by his big motor.

CM3, on the other hand, plain beats his opponents.

He has the best balance I've seen from a pass rusher in a while. He's able to dip, turn the corner is a hearthbeat, and get to the QB.
NFL Videos: Playbook: Packers defense
1:10 in the vid, you'll see what I'm talking about. That's just impressive.

Actually, just look at the whole vid, and you'll get a sense to what kind of player we have.

-----

He's not unproven. The fact that the Cardinals double teamed AND chip blocked him the entire game, and yet he still came away with a sack, a fumble forced AND a fumble recovered speaks volumes to what kind of monster he is.

I was just about to mention that as well. Now that teams are concentrating more on Matthews this should open up some opportunities for our other linebackers. I expect Brad Jones or a possible rookie to take advantage of this next season so we can generate more pressure. At the same time I hope it doesn't hinder our defense to where Matthews is consistently getting double teamed but our other pass rushers still can't fight their way to the QB.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the reason why Matthews didn't really show up the last two games was because they played really conservative with him. Seattle and Arizona in weeks 16 and 17 were already done with their seasons. However, WTF on Matthews not showing well in the playoffs?? He has 5 Tckls, 1 Sack, 1FF. What do you want from him?

Ya i forgot about his individual performance in the playoff game, kinda lost that with our over all performance of our defense in that game.

I am not predicting anything about Mathews. I just temper a lot of things last year by the night and day difference in the quality of our opponents. WE will see this year what kind of team we have.

OP
OP
packerpower

packerpower

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WHO IS THIS GUY!!!!!

Are you kidding me???? Let's trade Rodgers and our 1st rounder for Seneca Wallace!!!!

My God! This has to be the worst idea I've ever seen... I'm seriously considering locking this thread or putting it in the Smack Talk area...

I can see you do not have an open mind... nor respect for diehard fans putting their ideas out there.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good example Mr. Moderator.

And why do you wear a sig with Kampman in it...?

What does Kampman have to do with this thread? Are you implying that us not retaining him was a bad move? He didn't fit into this defense so there was not point in keeping him. Plus it's not like the Packers didn't try. TT offered him a $5 million/yr contract but Kampman decided he wanted to go somewhere that allowed him to play DE.

OP
OP
packerpower

packerpower

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does Kampman have to do with this thread? Are you implying that us not retaining him was a bad move? He didn't fit into this defense so there was not point in keeping him. Plus it's not like the Packers didn't try. TT offered him a $5 million/yr contract but Kampman decided he wanted to go somewhere that allowed him to play DE.

Never should have switched to the 3-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts