Trade idea--Jermichael Finley to the Patriots??

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/po...-te-jermichael-finley-to-new-england-patriots

So, in the minutes after the New England Patriots released tight end Aaron Hernandez,@NateJackson25asked a question that I couldn't resist: Would you offer Green Bay Packers tight end Jermichael Finley to the Patriots for a second-round draft pick, as suggested via Twitter by former Packers safety LeRoy Butler?

Edited the tile, you made it sound like they traded him..
Edited the content as you had entire story..That is not how we allow things to be done...Only a small portion of the story is allowed

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Finley's ability but am a realist about his chances of being with the Packers in 2014. We've been stockpiling tight ends for years, I'd say that we finagle a first round pick out of Patriots. I'm not sure that I'd trade him for a low 2nd round pick. Maybe it could be negotiated as conditional, either a low first round or high second round pick depending on how the Patriots do this season.

It's worth noting that TT and Belichik have a history of trading picks on draft day, so one could reason that the relationship is solid enough to discuss this trade.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. We are not getting a 1 out of him for 1 yr rental with another team
2. It leaves us bare at TE
3. Too late in the offseason for the pack to do this.
4. We can prob pick up a 3rd when he leaves as a comp pick, an extra rd wouldn't be worth having such a drop off at the position

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So who would play TE for us? A Quarless coming off a severe injury or a too short Williams? puleeze!

It would have to be a # 1 for me too give any consideration to such a trade.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
No way anyone gives up a 1st for Finley at this point and it would be tough even for a 2nd. Maybe by 2nd cutdown, and if Quarless & company show they can be competent, TT finagles a 3rd or even a 2nd. That frees up some salary cap to roll over next year for Shields, Raji, and the rest. Don't expect Belichek to be panicking and desperate for a TE yet.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the Pats are desperate at this point, I can see something big coming the Packers way to get a quality TE.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think about doing it only because the Patriots are trading us a draft pick. If the past is any indication when TT trades with the Patriots for a draft pick it always works out unbelievable well for us, Jennings, Matthews, Hayward.

but realistically I would not want to do it for reasons IVO has already stated.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we did win a Super Bowl without Finley. I'm not dismissing his talent, but it's not a gaping hole. Rodgers also doesn't use Finley like a tight end, so really another WR can take his place and we do have young talent at TE. I agree that viewed as a one year rental, it's not an attractive deal but the Patriots can lock him into a long term contract.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Brady lost a lot of his trusted weapons this year. No reason for it to be the same case with Rodgers (Driver, Jennings, Finley)

I would trust our plethora of backups to cover us though if they gave us something absurd like a 1st.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. Finley has all the tools to be the best tightend in football, he just has to get his head together. I'll go out on the limb and say he has a better year than gronk if he stays healthy.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm just tired of waiting for him to get his head together. My hope is that we can get something for him before he goes in free agency to another team that hopes he can get his head together.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a two edged sword with Finley. If he has a very good year which I expect then he'll probably walk for a compensatory third which is essentially a fourth round pick.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Well the Pats are desperate at this point, I can see something big coming the Packers way to get a quality TE.
Didn't they recently sign Ballard from the New York football Giants? He blocks better than Finley and is a passable receiver.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't they recently sign Ballard from the New York football Giants? He blocks better than Finley and is a passable receiver.

Going from 2 all pro TE and centering the offense around them to Jake Freaking Ballard is not passable. That being said no way they trade a 1st for a 1 year rental. The packers have all the leverage in the situation and teams just dont walk into the trade being completely behind the 8 ball like that. He will be a packer this year and we will get close to what his market would be right now in a comp pick if I had to guess.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Finley is going to be a beast this season, The running game will open up some lanes with no double coverage. Finley will catch the wining touchdown in the SB with time expiring. We will all rejoice and bask in his glory.

The Patriots win their division in spite of all their receiver and TE woes because God will guide Bradys arm now that Tbone is there, that and the AFC East sucks teabags. Bill knows this, this is why he got Tbone, I hear they have also found the lost arc and will carry it in front of all plays.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Butler--maybe this isn't such a bad idea......but I suspect Finley will play out of his mind in preparation for free agency.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough one...Jennings and Driver are gone, Jones and Finley are UFAs after this season. There is uncertainty at these positions.

That said, we would...in this hypothetical...be dealing from a position of strength. Demand a first rounder for him and if they won't give it up then we keep him. I don't think they'd ever give up a first for him anyways. But why not try?

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Butler--maybe this isn't such a bad idea......but I suspect Finley will play out of his mind in preparation for free agency.
That's what makes Finley such a tough player to figure out. Still young, very talented...just needs to put it together. I know we've been saying that for years but he still is quite young.