• Yes

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 78.2%

• Total voters

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course they would would have done that. Throw in a 7th down the road and they'd have eaten a lot of that salary. It's not uncommon in the NFL. You need to read more about how trades work in the NFL.

LMAO I think you are grossly overvaluing the value of a 7th GROSSLY

I know plenty, but thanks for the recommendations. Any literature specifically I should pick up? :)

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I strongly don't believe NE was interested in eating any cost from a guy they were cutting regardless. The draft equity for a one year rental it would have taken them to be willing to do that IMO wasn't going to be worth it.

It was 5.8 m for rest of season, Carolina gave up a 2023 6th round pick...what would gute have had to offer maybe a 2022 5th round pick to get NE to eat a few million of that 5.8 by restructuring it to signing bonus

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was 5.8 m for rest of season, Carolina gave up a 2023 6th round pick...what would gute have had to offer maybe a 2022 5th round pick to get NE to eat a few million of that 5.8 by restructuring it to signing bonus

My bet a 4th minimum. Not worth it for a guy you will not have beyond this year anyways. NE has not been the type of organization to eat cost to move guys either.

Reaction score
I think we should take the player that helps the most with the least amount of $ spent (best value). I don’t care if it’s ST.
While I’d personally like to go DL (Mercilus, Preston, Gary can get it done outside) I also recognize 2 things which have either caused some internal friction or lubricated the parts and made them function smoothly in the past).

1. Agree or Disagree or defend is immaterial. The fact is we’ve been stingy on giving Rodgers resources at WR overall compared to the norm. I understand that can be a compliment to him of sorts (no pun intended) but our focus on D has almost been to a fault.

2. The success of 1996 team was built on FA.

1992 Reggie White and the later addition here of

1996 Santana Dotson changed the entire complexity of our Defense. We were Fearsome, Literally the Fearsome 4.

1992 Frank Winters became a mainstay in GB for a decade.

1996 Desmond Howard. SB MVP? What else can I offer?

1996 1/2 Andre Rison. It was the the 2nd play of the game and a 54Yard TD in the SB that stands as one of the most memorable events in Favre’s career.

2006 Ryan Pickett DT (Rams) Was it coincidence him and Raji changed the outcome against the Steelers?

Is it coincidence that we got aggressive in 1996? I hear Kevin Greene a callin’. The time is now!
I’d trade this weeks Win for a stud in a heartbeat. Maybe we need a good beatdown to instigate a trade a few days later (see Dallas vs GB 1996)

Back to my thoughts. If we had another DL upfront that is a game changer and we get J’aire back? watch out! .

Last edited:

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must have a great deal of experience as an NFL General Manager. First of all the Packers could have reworked an existing players contract and easily been able to afford him or they could have thrown an additional low draft choice in the future and that small anount of salary would have been absorbed by New England.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must have a great deal of experience as an NFL General Manager. First of all the Packers could have reworked an existing players contract and easily been able to afford him or they could have thrown an additional low draft choice in the future and that small anount of salary would have been absorbed by New England.

Doubt any past NFL GMs utilize forums - I just think many fans grossly over simplify or think things operate so easily or simple, when they truly don't is all.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should take the player that helps the most with the least amount of $ spent (best value). I don’t care if it’s ST.
While I’d personally like to go DL (Mercilus, Preston, Gary can get it done outside) I also recognize 2 things which have either caused some internal friction or lubricated the parts and made them function smoothly in the past).

1. Agree or Disagree or defend is immaterial. The fact is we’ve been stingy on giving Rodgers resources at WR overall compared to the norm. I understand that can be a compliment to him of sorts (no pun intended) but our focus on D has almost been to a fault.

2. The success of 1996 team was built on FA.

1992 Reggie White and the later addition here of

1996 Santana Dotson changed the entire complexity of our Defense. We were Fearsome, Literally the Fearsome 4.

1992 Frank Winters became a mainstay in GB for a decade.

1996 Desmond Howard. SB MVP? What else can I offer?

1996 1/2 Andre Rison. It was the the 2nd play of the game and a 54Yard TD in the SB that stands as one of the most memorable events in Favre’s career.

2006 Ryan Pickett DT (Rams) Was it coincidence him and Raji changed the outcome against the Steelers?

Is it coincidence that we got aggressive in 1996? I hear Kevin Greene a callin’. The time is now!
I’d trade this weeks Win for a stud in a heartbeat. Maybe we need a good beatdown to instigate a trade a few days later. Boy, If we had another DL upfront that is a game changer and we get J’aire back? watch out!

I'm with you in wanting defensive trade if we trade. DL/DE type or OLB with third option CB.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way tynimiller the Packers had 7.1 million in cap space the day Stephon Gilmore was traded. He was affordable.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way tynimiller the Packers had 7.1 million in cap space the day Stephon Gilmore was traded. He was affordable.

I know at the time we had right around that figure. However, we were already on phone with Jaylon and you don't want to dip below $2M-$3M for unknown moves needed throughout the season without crippling the ability to handle injuries or even at times activatations. You cannot just scalp the cap to zero. Which is why you had to convince NE IMO to eat an additional $2M minimum but probably around $3M.

D

Deleted member 6794

He is due 15M next year...with $7.5 dead if cut IF I am interpreting his contract right - Capt or someone can correct me if wrong please. Gute would be slitting his wrists deeper doing that trade if so though.

Cooks has no guaranteed money left on his contract. If the Packers would trade for him at the deadline and move on from him after this season the move wouldn't result in any dead money counting against their cap.

The Packers were in the running for all pro cornerback Stephon Gilmore. The 31-year-old player had a base salary of $7 million in 2021 after signing a five-year, $65 million contract with the Patriots in 2017 and being advanced $5 million of his 2021 earnings in the 2020 season. The Panthers are set to pay Gilmore $5.8 million over the rest of the season.

The Packers currently don't even have $5.8 million of cap space. It would have been close to impossible to fit Gilmore's deal under the cap.

Davante Adams is currently the only player on the roster with a base salary of over $2 million. And it seems he's not interested in extending his contract at this point.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With Tonyan done for the year, if the Packers are going to trade for a player, TE would seem to be the smart move.

Giants are shopping Evan Engram. Falcons might part with Hayden Hurst.

If they wanted to bring back a familiar face, Richard Rodgers could possibly be plucked off the Eagles PS.

Trey Burton and Tyler Eifert are both Free agents. Not sure what their current playing condition is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm with you in wanting defensive trade if we trade. DL/DE type or OLB with third option CB.
I know DL isn’t always flashy. But having another stud to rotate in and allowing those current OLB to come in on stunts and get a running start would be formidable.
Much of what I’d like to see us achieve is getting under 20pts per game allowed. That’s an area I feel real comfortable in our O having a high rate of success outscoring. We’re right at 21pts now, getting J’aire back and a slightly better push in the middle would get us in that 18-20 range, which is bordering on stingy

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With the news that Z Dog is back in GB and feeling like a new man, we are now pretty loaded at OLB...Smith X 2, Gary, Merc, Garvin and Hamilton.

I would rather see the offense improved with adding a TE or WR.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Corner is easily the number one need. Jaire may come back but he could also be lost again with this shoulder issue.

After that, I wouldn’t mind help on the DL and/or pass catcher. I’d prefer an F tight end to a wide receiver but that’s hair splitting.

On the defensive front, they need to make sure they don’t overuse and burn out Clark. You don’t want to be playing big men at 80+% snap counts.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Kyle Fuller is the hardest player for me to figure among those rumored to be in the block.

He’s 29 years old, so you wouldn’t think he’s due for a massive decline. But what you read is that he isn’t playing well. It’s hard to attribute that to scheme or coaching when Fangio is there. But it’s also hard to know if it’s really his fault as it seems that virtually their entire secondary is struggling.

It’s obviously up to the pro scouts in Green Bay to decide if Fuller can still be an asset at corner. But he has a lot of experience in this style of defense, he’s affordable if it’s true that Denver would eat half his salary, and it makes sense that he would be available.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Packers should try to trade for Marlon Mack and Evan Engram. Should be able to acquire for little investment. Play for the Super Bowl.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I have no idea if Engram can be the player he was drafted to be, but I do have to say for him that he’s been in a pretty terrible situation his entire time in NY.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I have no idea if Engram can be the player he was drafted to be, but I do have to say for him that he’s been in a pretty terrible situation his entire time in NY.
I feel like he is a perfect fit for a MLF offense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I feel like he is a perfect fit for a MLF offense.

I don’t know about perfect as I don’t know how sure handed he is or how he operates as a blocker, but I do think you could do a lot of the same stuff with him as they were doing with Tonyan, and he would offers maybe some more upside athletically.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Kyle Fuller is the hardest player for me to figure among those rumored to be in the block.

He’s 29 years old, so you wouldn’t think he’s due for a massive decline. But what you read is that he isn’t playing well. It’s hard to attribute that to scheme or coaching when Fangio is there. But it’s also hard to know if it’s really his fault as it seems that virtually their entire secondary is struggling.

It’s obviously up to the pro scouts in Green Bay to decide if Fuller can still be an asset at corner. But he has a lot of experience in this style of defense, he’s affordable if it’s true that Denver would eat half his salary, and it makes sense that he would be available.
I'm not sure I've watched Denver at all this year so I'm not sure what Fuller's issues are, but I will say that for some players you kind of lose your spirit a little bit when you aren't playing for a contender. I'm not saying it's the case with him, but it's incredible sometimes what joining a SB contending team can do to generate better play.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure I've watched Denver at all this year so I'm not sure what Fuller's issues are, but I will say that for some players you kind of lose your spirit a little bit when you aren't playing for a contender. I'm not saying it's the case with him, but it's incredible sometimes what joining a SB contending team can do to generate better play.
Agreed, look at Mercilus. His pressures increased coming here.
I think at the deadline it's a trade for a WR2, TE and backup RB as our options. Not suggesting all 3. We've tried out a number of CB's this year and I think they may feel set there, whether or not we do. I just can't see them trading for a CB.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Feasible trade targets from teams who should/could be selling at the deadline at CB, DL, TE, and WR.

Guys I am interested in are in bold. The less likely to be traded, the further down the list.

Cornerback:

-Kyle Fuller, Broncos

-Steven Nelson, Eagles
-Joe Haden, Steelers
-J.C. Jackson, Patriots

Defensive Line:

-Austin Johnson, Giants

-DeMarcus Walker, Texans
-Lawrence Guy, Patriots
-Chris Wormley, Steelers
-Matthew Ioannidis, Washington
-Quinnen Williams, Jets

Tight End:

-Evan Engram, Giants
-Hayden Hurst, Falcons

-Eric Ebron, Steelers
-Mike Gesicki, Dolphins
-Gerald Everett, Seahawks

Wide Receiver:

-Brandin Cooks, Texans
-Marvin Jones Jr, Jaguars
-James Washington, Steelers
-Jamison Crowder, Jets
-Jakobi Meyers, Patriots

Reaction score
Agreed, look at Mercilus. His pressures increased coming here.
I think at the deadline it's a trade for a WR2, TE and backup RB as our options. Not suggesting all 3. We've tried out a number of CB's this year and I think they may feel set there, whether or not we do. I just can't see them trading for a CB.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. I like all the positions mentioned. But by far TE has become an instant priority and I’d offer that it’s not even a close debate right now.
It’s become such an important position in this league and nearly all the top contenders have a really good pass catching TE (or 2). If you think about it, Our Offense operated near its peak when Tonyan elevated his game. When Tonyan dropped off some, so did our propensity to be efficient near the end zone.

The second option for me is another bonafide WR that would demand attention from our opponent. That’s a 180 change from me wanting a Defender. Rodgers has earned the right to get a weapon without asking. That’s also a 180 change for me.

Last edited:

Members online