• Yes

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 78.2%

• Total voters

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also thought of Callahan but I see him solely as inside help. He has graded very well.

Casey would be excellent but like my Xavier Rhodes option would need his team to lose another time or two before deadline.

Hill is a solid one I overlooked.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

King was doomed with the fan base as soon as TT passed on T.J. Watt to trade down and take him instead.

Then King seemingly broke out in 2019 and started garnering a lot of positive attention, which just further incentivized his critics to make that case that he sucks.
The thing is Dantes, a player can come from College football and enter the draft and stink it up when they get to the Pro`s. Has there been a player who might even be a legend now and came straight into ANY team and make an IMMEDIATE impact ?. Okay, you guys see more than I do as you grew up with it, but I`ve never seen it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You're right Bill. Dislike of King is more emotional than logical. A lot of people, including me, just can't get over that GB could have had TJ Watt who was selected shortly after King by the Steelers.
Just to clear things up. The Packers could have selected TJ Watt with their first round pick (#29), but elected to trade out of the first round with the Browns and pick up their second round pick (#33) and a 4th round pick (#108). The Browns used that pick to select David Njoku, TE, Miami and then the Steelers took Watt with the 30th pick. The Packers selected King with the 33rd pick in the draft and Vince Biegel with the 4th round pick. Biegel was a complete bust.

I

Just to clear things up. The Packers could have selected TJ Watt with their first round pick (#29), but elected to trade out of the first round with the Browns and pick up their second round pick (#33) and a 4th round pick (#108). The Browns used that pick to select David Njoku, TE, Miami and then the Steelers took Watt with the 30th pick. The Packers selected King with the 33rd pick in the draft and Vince Biegel with the 4th round pick. Biegel was a complete bust.

But we are supposing that TJ would have made the same impact here with different coaching and personnel around him.

It`s one of the reasons I hate statistics. Statistics don`t mean a thing to me.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The thing is Dantes, a player can come from College football and enter the draft and stink it up when they get to the Pro`s. Has there been a player who might even be a legend now and came straight into ANY team and make an IMMEDIATE impact ?. Okay, you guys see more than I do as you grew up with it, but I`ve never seen it.

I don't quite follow you here.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As always, terms like 'immediate impact' are entirely subjective. However, without much research, there's a team in Wisconsin that's had players with names like (for example) Matthews, Raji, Bulaga, and Alexander that I would consider meet the criterion. :)

I

I don't quite follow you here.
The pont I was trying to make unsuccessfully is yes we didn`t take TJ, but what is to say he would have been a great success here ? Different coaches, different personnel too. The chances are he might have been, but we don`t know. Has there been many rookies who have gone into a team and made an instant impact ?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But we are supposing that TJ would have made the same impact here with different coaching and personnel around him.

Agreed, although I was one, of many, that really wanted the Packers to draft TJ in that spot. I had watched him his whole career at Wisconsin and every season, just like his brother JJ, he got bigger and better. That said you are right, he could have become a Packer, sustained an injury or flopped with Capers. I think the odds of the later are low, he came out of College ready for the NFL. King came out as a big question mark injury wise and CB's tend to be a crap shoot anyway.

I

As always, terms like 'immediate impact' are entirely subjective. However, without much research, there's a team in Wisconsin that's had players with names like (for example) Matthews, Raji, Bulaga, and Alexander that I would consider meet the criterion. :)
I`ll get my jacket......goodnight !

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The pont I was trying to make unsuccessfully is yes we didn`t take TJ, but what is to say he would have been a great success here ? Different coaches, different personnel too. The chances are he might have been, but we don`t know. Has there been many rookies who have gone into a team and made an instant impact ?

Oh, he 100% would have been successful here. He's a freakshow athlete with one of the best work ethics in the game if what you read is true.

But that said-- I wasn't trying to argue that King should be despised because of that draft day situation. I was merely giving you my theory as to why the guy is such a lightning rod for fan criticism.

I

Oh, he 100% would have been successful here. He's a freakshow athlete with one of the best work ethics in the game if what you read is true.

But that said-- I wasn't trying to argue that King should be despised because of that draft day situation. I was merely giving you my theory as to why the guy is such a lightning rod for fan criticism.

I never took it any other way mate. Just MY take on it.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, it isn't that he makes more mistakes than some other non-elite players on our team - it is purely because some of his mistakes are the type that result in opposing team getting points. King is a roller coaster ride as I put it that no one picks over others to ride, but the line is short and still is fun in sections - he can throw out a game where he looks elite and then get burned for 200 yards and 2 tds the very next.

Yup, the mistakes he makes seem to be bigger than those made by others. Whether true or not its a perceived reality.

King was doomed with the fan base as soon as TT passed on T.J. Watt to trade down and take him instead.

Then King seemingly broke out in 2019 and started garnering a lot of positive attention, which just further incentivized his critics to make that case that he sucks.

There is probably more to this than some would care to admit. To many fans its not as much because King is King its because he is not Watt.

This coupled with what I said above makes him the man with the biggest target on his back and the favorite whipping boy.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Watt would likely be even better in Green Bay...
Yup, the mistakes he makes seem to be bigger than those made by others. Whether true or not its a perceived reality.

There is probably more to this than some would care to admit. To many fans its not as much because King is King its because he is not Watt.

This coupled with what I said above makes him the man with the biggest target on his back and the favorite whipping boy.

For me personally its because Kings mistakes are mainly due to an astonishing lack of awarness...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For me it wasn't just that we gave up the opportunity for Watt, as much as it was TT once again using a high pick for someone in the secondary. Then he doubled down on taking Josh Jones a Safety in the 2nd round. Not sure if it was TT or his scouts, but he really sucked when it came to drafting DB's, at least in his final 4 drafts (5 DB's in the first 2 rounds). Hell, the results were so bad, Gute had to double down on it and select 2 more in his first draft (2018). Fortunately, he struck gold with Alexander and whiffed with Jackson.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

To be fair to his critics, he's also really bad.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One guy I liked as a budget option for the Packers' DL in the offseason was Austin Johnson. He was a solid interior DL for the Titans over the course of his rookie deal, signed a one year contract with the Giants in 2020, and then re-upped with them this year on another one year deal.

He's 27 years old, he's played about 56% of the snaps for the Giants this year, and has apparently played pretty well. He has the versatility to spell both Clark and Lowry, which would be really helpful because I don't think Clark's 80+ snap % is sustainable.

His base salary is only 1.5M, which means that if he was a Packer today, he would only count 882K against the cap for the rest of the season.

The Giants seem to be going nowhere fast, and Johnson is a free agent after this season. Furthermore, they've made a huge investment into one iDL (Leonard Williams) and will want to do it again in the next 18 months with another (Dexter Lawrence). If you're going to be that pot committed to two defensive linemen, you're going to want to populate your depth with rookie contracts.

So, for me, Johnson combines a lot of factors that make him a great target: he plays a position of need, he's versatile, he's cheap relative to the cap, he ought to be available, and he shouldn't cost much to acquire in terms of trading assets.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One guy I liked as a budget option for the Packers' DL in the offseason was Austin Johnson. He was a solid interior DL for the Titans over the course of his rookie deal, signed a one year contract with the Giants in 2020, and then re-upped with them this year on another one year deal.

He's 27 years old, he's played about 56% of the snaps for the Giants this year, and has apparently played pretty well. He has the versatility to spell both Clark and Lowry, which would be really helpful because I don't think Clark's 80+ snap % is sustainable.

His base salary is only 1.5M, which means that if he was a Packer today, he would only count 882K against the cap for the rest of the season.

The Giants seem to be going nowhere fast, and Johnson is a free agent after this season. Furthermore, they've made a huge investment into one iDL (Leonard Williams) and will want to do it again in the next 18 months with another (Dexter Lawrence). If you're going to be that pot committed to two defensive linemen, you're going to want to populate your depth with rookie contracts.

So, for me, Johnson combines a lot of factors that make him a great target: he plays a position of need, he's versatile, he's cheap relative to the cap, he ought to be available, and he shouldn't cost much to acquire in terms of trading assets.

Really really like this approach and player

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Good find Dantes. Go get him for us!

D

Deleted member 6794

Tell Aaron you will bring in a WR, but he needs to sign an extension to alleviate the cap number than trade Love.

The Packers can't create any cap space for this season by restructuring Rodgers' contract as he's getting paid the veteran minimum base salary.

Can anyone give me a sound financial analysis of how much of a cap hit we would take this year if we traded for Xavien Howard, Brandin Cooks or OBJ? (And hence if any of these players would be doable given that we are signing Mercilus)

If the Packers acquire any of those players at the trade deadline they would count the following vs. their cap in 2021.

Howard $6.7 million
Cooks $1.7 million
OBJ $8.1 million

Some ideas at corner. For some of these, the teams would have to move into the mindset of a "seller" in the next week or so. Most likely, no move is forthcoming.

-Casey Hayward, Raiders: Seeing a bounce back season in Vegas on a cheap, one year deal.

I highly doubt the Raiders will end up being sellers at the deadline.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Look at the skill set of Watt. Those skills transfer anywhere. He's unique.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup it mirrors the Jaylon type deal - he's still getting paid this year by Texans so essentially chose Green Bay for a chance.

Yep its one of the benefits of having a fhof qb...hopefully they both make an impact ad hopefully gutey keeps adding talent where/when he can

Id like to see a wr, dl, cb not necessarily in that order

Brandin Cooks seems reasonable with a 1.6 m cap hit

Howard a very remote possibility...that 6.7 m is prorated so will be a little lower each week that goes by til the deadline...

Johnson seems to be an easy one...

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This isn’t statistics… TJ was dominant in college …and did indeed make an impact his rookie year in Pittsburg. I feel very confident in saying he would have been highly successful anywhere.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts