Tracking the 2023 Green Bay Roster

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call it whatever you want "Getting over the Rodgers hangover", "Fresh Start With Love", etc. But I am pumped for the upcoming season. Not because I think that the Packers will be great in 2023, but just excited for most of the talk to center around the whole team....and oh yeah, firing Joe Barry. :D Hey, maybe even Joe will make strides this year too, time for some positive Packer energy!

Down the stretch last year when Joe essentially was told he had to start listening and doing more what the players wanted they did better. I’m praying that was a shift in him and knows he cannot go back to the old.

This defense has too much talent to be as bad as it was last year at times.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Down the stretch last year when Joe essentially was told he had to start listening and doing more what the players wanted they did better. I’m praying that was a shift in him and knows he cannot go back to the old.

This defense has too much talent to be as bad as it was last year at times.
I'm hoping that an improved DL, some development from the young guys and more continuity from the coaches, will finally give the Packers a defense to talk about...good talk that is.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's cool is the pressure is off this year. We can literally just let the games unfold and not have the expectation that this is a win-now team. If Jordan comes out and blows the doors off of the NFC then awesome, but if he struggles I'm cool with that too as long as he's showing growth and potential.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's cool is the pressure is off this year. We can literally just let the games unfold and not have the expectation that this is a win-now team. If Jordan comes out and blows the doors off of the NFC then awesome, but if he struggles I'm cool with that too as long as he's showing growth and potential.
I hate doors...Jordan needs to blow them off! ;)

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Totally agree. Much like the OL, I think the Packer coaches like what they have more than some fans. I also think with an improved DL, the secondary is going to look better. Add to that a healthy Gary and LVN, the front 7 might be the best one that we have seen in a long time.

If this was a Super Bowl bound team, I could see the desire to try and resign Amos or another top S. However it isn't, save the capital, keep developing what you have and see what you need in 2024.
I think this whole draft and strategy is aimed at 2024.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd argue that is the perspective the draft should be handled every year...otherwise trade all your picks for one specific prospect that you think individually does the most for now and build the roster otherwise with just UDFAs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Krabs, correct me if I am wrong. The point I think both of us were trying to make is that the Packers didn't need to panic and try to draft strictly for need in 2023. Nor did they go out and sign free agents strictly to impact 2023. Both are a different approach then we have seen in the last several seasons. With Rodgers and teams that were finishing at the top each regular season, the Packers were making more moves designed to address the present. That doesn't say that they weren't still keeping an eye on the future. The Packers loaded up with 13 drafted players and I think 12 UDFA's now, this is what I would view as building a roster for the future.

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Krabs, correct me if I am wrong. The point I think both of us were trying to make is that the Packers didn't need to panic and try to draft strictly for need in 2023. Nor did they go out and sign free agents strictly to impact 2023. Both are a different approach then we have seen in the last several seasons. With Rodgers and teams that were finishing at the top each regular season, the Packers were making more moves designed to address the present. That doesn't say that they weren't still keeping an eye on the future. The Packers loaded up with 13 drafted players and I think 11 UDFA's now, this is what I would view as building a roster for the future.
Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at. We didn't move up to take guys like Watson to try to have an immediate impact player. Van Ness is a little bit more of a project with higher potential than other DL that might have a bigger impact next season as opposed to long term growth. Of course, immediate impact players would be awesome, but this team is now a year or two away from being truly competitive. It has much more of a building for the future feel than a win now mode. If that makes sense. I always want to win, but the cap situation they are in next season, $57 million in dead money, doesn't provide the flexibility to buy players. In 2024 they will have over $50 million in cap space. They can re-sign key players and go shopping. They can let this group progress without a huge emphasis on a Super Bowl run and the stress that goes with it.

Please understand, I'm not advocating for losing. I want to watch a win every single game. I'm also realistic about this roster. It will take some time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In 2024 they will have over $50 million in cap space. They can re-sign key players and go shopping. They can let this group progress without a huge emphasis on a Super Bowl run and the stress that goes with it.
Spot on.

I would just add that some present needs were really clear (TE, WR, backup QB, 3rd EDGE, Kicker) before this draft and Gute went after them. While OL & S may have looked like needs to some, its pretty obvious that by the draft and what has been said since, the Packers felt that they currently might have the talent for those positions already on the team and thus are content to wait and see if they are right.

2023 is going to be a good year to see just how good of a QB we have or don't have. As well as a good litmus test for a relatively young OL and DB's. The Packers should come out of 2023 with 3 things; a healthy cap, better knowledge of their QB situation, as well as other positions and potentially, high draft picks in each round.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Interesting article on RAS and how other teams fared. Given that the Packers had 13 picks and I am guessing, many of the later round picks tended to have lower scores, pretty good job by Gute with drafting athletic players.

Reaction score
Krabs, correct me if I am wrong. The point I think both of us were trying to make is that the Packers didn't need to panic and try to draft strictly for need in 2023. Nor did they go out and sign free agents strictly to impact 2023. Both are a different approach then we have seen in the last several seasons. With Rodgers and teams that were finishing at the top each regular season, the Packers were making more moves designed to address the present. That doesn't say that they weren't still keeping an eye on the future. The Packers loaded up with 13 drafted players and I think 12 UDFA's now, this is what I would view as building a roster for the future.
Winner winner Chicken Dinner!

Reaction score
Interesting article on RAS and how other teams fared. Given that the Packers had 13 picks and I am guessing, many of the later round picks tended to have lower scores, pretty good job by Gute with drafting athletic players.

I only counted 2 teams with more Green RAS players than the Packers.

One thing that the “experts” in the media fail to recognize. When you have 13 drafted players?! You can afford to miss on several prospects and your draft score is still high.

E.g.. If I have 100 draft selections and you have 10 and I miss on 90% and you miss on just 50%?
I still have 10 A-grade players where you have only 5 A-grade players.

It’s quite simple I really don’t understand how these draft scoring expert’s can miss such a rudimentary concept. They must’ve grown up with chewing gum and Valley Girls

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I only counted 2 teams with more Green RAS players than the Packers.

One thing that the “experts” in the media fail to recognize. When you have 13 drafted players?! You can afford to miss on several prospects and your draft score is still high.

E.g.. If I have 100 draft selections and you have 10 and I miss on 90% and you miss on just 50%?
I still have 10 A-grade players where you have only 5 A-grade players.

It’s quite simple I really don’t understand how these draft scoring expert’s can miss such a rudimentary concept. They must’ve grown up with chewing gum and Valley Girls
Agree.

I'm not even going to attempt it, because the final results wouldn't mean all that much. One could take the "draft value" of each pick (not player) and multiply it by the RAS of the player selected with that pick, add them all together and divide by number of picks and it might be a better comparison number between teams.

Simply put, 5 high RAS players selected in Rounds 1-4 are probably going to be more valuable than 5 selected in rounds 5-7. Will that translate onto the field? Who knows.

Reaction score
Agree.

I'm not even going to attempt it, because the final results wouldn't mean all that much. One could take the "draft value" of each pick (not player) and multiply it by the RAS of the player selected with that pick, add them all together and divide by number of picks and it might be a better comparison number between teams.

Simply put, 5 high RAS players selected in Rounds 1-4 are probably going to be more valuable than 5 selected in rounds 5-7. Will that translate onto the field? Who knows.
Sure. I haven’t given it too much thought, but your weighted concept by draft round makes perfect sense. It’s a proven fact (I think Captain or someone in a debate posted it some time ago) that success increases by draft placement (by round or in general not by individual pick). Not a huge surprise that Day1 is more successful than Day3 as a whole.

I suppose weighing the earlier Rounds by success and diminishing as the later Rounds unfold. The other point that is important is numbers of selections should be applied to increase/decrease that score some. Also the RAS should increase that a small amount or by a factor.

It would be fun to implement a chart using past Round Draft success % as a primary aspect. Then compensatory picks and added draft picks from the leagues natural Round 1-7 selections lifting the score appropriately. It’s a great thought there.

We could create our own Packer Backer Draft grid using past success and applying it to future success rates. Similar to the Jimmy Johnson points grid. I’ll think about this it would be a very interesting concept to have a calculator applying “RAS to Rounds”.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sure. I haven’t given it too much thought, but your weighted concept by draft round makes perfect sense. It’s a proven fact (I think Captain or someone in a debate posted it some time ago) that success increases by draft placement (by round or in general not by individual pick). Not a huge surprise that Day1 is more successful than Day3 as a whole.

I suppose weighing the earlier Rounds by success and diminishing as the later Rounds unfold. The other point that is important is numbers of selections should be applied to increase/decrease that score some. Also the RAS should increase that a small amount or by a factor.

It would be fun to implement a chart using past Round Draft success % as a primary aspect. Then compensatory picks and added draft picks from the leagues natural Round 1-7 selections lifting the score appropriately. It’s a great thought there.

We could create our own Packer Backer Draft grid using past success and applying it to future success rates. Similar to the Jimmy Johnson points grid. I’ll think about this it would be a very interesting concept to have a calculator applying “RAS to Rounds”.

You got the idea! The only reason I said total it all up and divide by the number of picks, was to compare it to other teams. I guess if you were going to get that number each year, you could compare it to each year of Packer selections too.

Similar to the Jimmy Johnson points grid. I’ll think about this it would be a very interesting concept to have a calculator applying “RAS to Rounds”.

WE can call it the "PB Old School Draft Rating 101"

Reaction score
You got the idea! The only reason I said total it all up and divide by the number of picks, was to compare it to other teams. I guess if you were going to get that number each year, you could compare it to each year of Packer selections too.

WE can call it the "PB Old School Draft Rating 101"
Yes. This would be fun for a select group of us who follow the draft closely.
I appreciate the name, but it’s too self righteous there as it’s all of our ideas and I’d be asking input from others doing this. I wouldn’t take credit like that or I might be the only one using it! ;)

The Songwriter in me likes
“RAS Roundup”

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Boy if Cox has his crap together and can stick to playing football, this guy is going to be a very good UDFA signing. The more I read and watch, the more I love this signing. Even with his being kicked off 2 teams, this guy had him as a 3rd round value.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This isn't just some small school guy, beating up on weak teams either. He looked dominate against SEC teams.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Boy if Cox has his crap together and can stick to playing football, this guy is going to be a very good UDFA signing. The more I read and watch, the more I love this signing. Even with his being kicked off 2 teams, this guy had him as a 3rd round value.

Those guys often don’t work out. However they come with an easy option to part ways if necessary. No harm in giving a guy a chance. Sometimes those behaviors are just a lack of maturity and the player grows out of it. His intensity is wonderful IF it can be corralled.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Those guys often don’t work out. However they come with an easy option to part ways if necessary. No harm in giving a guy a chance. Sometimes those behaviors are just a lack of maturity and the player grows out of it. His intensity is wonderful IF it can be corralled.
I've watched that video 3 times now and each time, I see things I love. There is no question in my mind, this guy was an absolute STEAL.....IF he just plays football. I am honestly more impressed with his film than I am with LVN's and I really like LVN.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So FTR Cox was a guy I had in my notes last college season as a Top 50 or so potential guy. Had he come out this year his grade was a third for me but I wasn't touching him till UDFA due to his mental issues.

Yes, if he gets his **** together, he legit could be very quickly one of our better depth guys this year and a contributor someday beyond.

Staff online

Latest posts