Tracking the 2023 Green Bay Roster

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers fill immediate roster holes with free agents and draft towards where the expiring contracts are occurring a year out.

Aside of Moore, who hasn't played much since coming off a serious injury, the Packers haven't signed any free agents this offseason though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Aside of Moore, who hasn't played much since coming off a serious injury, the Packers haven't signed any free agents this offseason though.
They generally do that post draft even into the summer. There are still hundreds of players available with NFL experience who are unsigned.

Reaction score
Standard stuff going back to 1963 when Paul Hornung and Alex Karras got suspended for a year.
I believe it. It’s still harsh. Think for a second about how much player Compensation $$ is lost if they have a 2nd contract. We’re talking a ton of money in todays world.

It’s like for every bet they made they lost $50,000 per bet. Not too smart!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I believe it. It’s still harsh. Think for a second about how much player Compensation $$ is lost if they have a 2nd contract. We’re talking a ton of money in todays world.

It’s like for every bet they made they lost $50,000 per bet. Not too smart!
Exactly....on the "not too smart" part, but harsh? Not really IMO. This should be basic lesson 101 for these guys. You don't bet on games, no matter the circumstances or how much. I get the rule, the NFL would lose a good portion of its audience if fans thought the games were in any way rigged by the participants.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly....on the "not too smart" part, but harsh? Not really IMO. This should be basic lesson 101 for these guys. You don't bet on games, no matter the circumstances or how much. I get the rule, the NFL would lose a good portion of its audience if fans thought the games were in any way rigged by the participants.
Yup.Gambling has always been the cardinal sin in professional sports. Anything that can ruin the integrity of competition cannot be tolerated. Any player can and will be replaced.

D

Deleted member 6794

They generally do that post draft even into the summer. There are still hundreds of players available with NFL experience who are unsigned.

I don't expect the Packers to be heavily active in free agency even after the draft either. While it's definitely possible to find a gem for a bargain at that point most of the veterans who would improve the talent level on the roster without a doubt are gone at that point anyway.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect the Packers to be heavily active in free agency even after the draft either. While it's definitely possible to find a gem for a bargain at that point most of the veterans who would improve the talent level on the roster without a doubt are gone at that point anyway.
Yeah I looked at the free agent receivers out there and the cupboard is pretty bare. I wouldn’t mind a veteran presence out there.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah I looked at the free agent receivers out there and the cupboard is pretty bare. I wouldn’t mind a veteran presence out there.

I think the cupboard is pretty empty at most positions. But, while it's difficult there's nevertheless a chance to find impact players for reasonable deals.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup.Gambling has always been the cardinal sin in professional sports. Anything that can ruin the integrity of competition cannot be tolerated. Any player can and will be replaced.
I agree, the bigger issue I have with it, is how the NFL is a sponsor of gambling and promotes it heavily. I could see the writing on the wall a few years ago and here we are today, the system promotes gambling from your couch from an app. They've made it so easy, they sponsor and promote. I understand why players definitely can't have that around them or be a part of it, but I'm also about walking the walk. The NFL should be doing better IMO.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, the bigger issue I have with it, is how the NFL is a sponsor of gambling and promotes it heavily. I could see the writing on the wall a few years ago and here we are today, the system promotes gambling from your couch from an app. They've made it so easy, they sponsor and promote. I understand why players definitely can't have that around them or be a part of it, but I'm also about walking the walk. The NFL should be doing better IMO.
Agree. It may not be entrapment but it dang sure is enticement for many of the weaker willed players who have family and "hanger ons" that could stand to significantly gain from various gambling scenarios. I think it's just a matter of time before it rears its ugly head. We aren't talking about a league chock full of perfect citizens here.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agree. It may not be entrapment but it dang sure is enticement for many of the weaker willed players who have family and "hanger ons" that could stand to significantly gain from various gambling scenarios. I think it's just a matter of time before it rears its ugly head. We aren't talking about a league chock full of perfect citizens here.

Spot on. Would be like a bar owner holding AA meetings in a bar. "We absolutely don't want you to drink, but we encourage all the patrons around you to start guzzling."

Let's face it, the NFL is a BIG money making machine and like a lot of big businesses, they are always going to play both ends of the moral stick, depending on which one they believe makes them the most money in the long term.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
some questionable players/characters, some questionable bets get out with acquaintances, a few head scratching "instant replay" expansions that sway games and the integrity is undermined and gone and the whole thing comes crashing down.

Boxing used to be a thing, hardly anybody cares anymore. Football thinks its on a different path. We'll see.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not sure if you updated yet @tynimiller

Updated Roster Count: 86 of 90
  1. Jordan Love, QB
  2. Sean Clifford, QB
  3. Danny Etling, QB
  4. Aaron Jones, RB
  5. AJ Dillon, RB
  6. Patrick Taylor, RB
  7. Lew Nichols III, RB
  8. Tyler Goodson, RB
  9. Christian Watson, WR
  10. Romeo Doubs, WR
  11. Jayden Reed, WR
  12. Samori Toure, WR
  13. Dontayvion Wicks, WR
  14. Grant Dubose, WR
  15. Bo Melton, WR
  16. Jeff Cotton, WR
  17. Malik Heath, WR
  18. Deuce Watts, WR
  19. Luke Musgrave, TE
  20. Tucker Kraft, TE
  21. Josiah Deguara, TE
  22. Tyler Davis, TE
  23. Austin Allen, TE
  24. Nick Guggemos, TE
  25. Camren McDonald, TE
  26. Henry Pearson, TE
  27. David Bakhtiari, OL
  28. Elgton Jenkins, OL
  29. Josh Myers, OL
  30. Jon Runyan, OL
  31. Yosh Nijman, OL
  32. Zach Tom, OL
  33. Royce Newman, OL
  34. Sean Rhyan, OL
  35. Rasheed Walker, OL
  36. Caleb Jones, OL
  37. Luke Tenuta, OL
  38. Jake Hanson, OL
  39. Jean Delance, OL
  40. Kadeem Telfort, OL
  41. Kenny Clark, DL
  42. Devonte Wyatt, DL
  43. TJ Slaton, DL
  44. Colby Wooden, DL
  45. Karl Brooks, DL
  46. Jonathan Ford, DL
  47. Chris Slayton, DL
  48. Jason Lewan, DL
  49. Rashan Gary, OLB
  50. Preston Smith, OLB
  51. Lukas Van Ness, OLB
  52. Kinsgley Enagbare, OLB
  53. Justin Hollins, OLB
  54. Jonathan Garvin, OLB
  55. La’Darius Hamilton, OLB
  56. Keshawn Banks, OLB
  57. De’Vondre Campbell, ILB
  58. Quay Walker, ILB
  59. Isaiah McDuffie, ILB
  60. Eric Wilson, ILB
  61. Tariq Carpenter, ILB
  62. Jimmy Phillips, ILB
  63. Jaire Alexander, CB
  64. Eric Stokes, CB
  65. Rasul Douglas, CB
  66. Keisean Nixon, CB
  67. Corey Ballentine, CB
  68. Shemar Jean-Charles, CB
  69. Carrington Valentine, CB
  70. Kiondre Thomas, CB
  71. Benjie Franklin, CB
  72. Tyrell Ford, CB
  73. Darnell Savage, SAF
  74. Rudy Ford, SAF
  75. Tarvarius Moore, SAF
  76. Dallin Leavitt, SAF
  77. Anthony Johnson Jr., SAF
  78. Innis Gaines, SAF
  79. James Wiggins, SAF
  80. Benny Sapp, SAF
  81. Christian Morgan, SAF
  82. Anders Carlson, K
  83. Parker White, K
  84. Pat O’Donnell, P
  85. Matt Orzech, LS
  86. Jack Coco, LS

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to assume they have an offer in place to bring back Amos. Our safety room is brutal right now.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to assume they have an offer in place to bring back Amos. Our safety room is brutal right now.
He already counts $7.95mil dead $ on the cap, there's no more money left to pay him. Hope Gute doesn't sign him to a ridiculous 4 yr/$32mil deal at vet min in '23 and a dead money hit of $10-$12mil in '27. Clear cap room now, let older vets leaIMHO. that's the prudent way forward, imho.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Gute was asked about that yesterday and all he said was:

“We’ve been in communication with him along the way.”

They shouldn't break the bank on him. I'd be content to see what we have at Safety and find improvements after cuts are made.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of me senses they may wait till they get a look more at rookie minicamp or some workouts just what they have. IF Anthony Johnson shows signs of the guy some thought he was - they may hold off spending a ton on Amos...I do know they're all much higher on Ford than much of the outside....and who knows what Moore can be for us, plus if Savage shows out like an improved version of his great rookie year instead of his bummer years since, there is a good chance the Safety room is more than we think....BUT that is a big IF.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Part of me senses they may wait till they get a look more at rookie minicamp or some workouts just what they have. IF Anthony Johnson shows signs of the guy some thought he was - they may hold off spending a ton on Amos...I do know they're all much higher on Ford than much of the outside....and who knows what Moore can be for us, plus if Savage shows out like an improved version of his great rookie year instead of his bummer years since, there is a good chance the Safety room is more than we think....BUT that is a big IF.
Totally agree. Much like the OL, I think the Packer coaches like what they have more than some fans. I also think with an improved DL, the secondary is going to look better. Add to that a healthy Gary and LVN, the front 7 might be the best one that we have seen in a long time.

If this was a Super Bowl bound team, I could see the desire to try and resign Amos or another top S. However it isn't, save the capital, keep developing what you have and see what you need in 2024.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay finally gonna sit down and update the OP...apologies ya'll not the late correcting I envisioned.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hope Gute doesn't sign him to a ridiculous 4 yr/$32mil deal at vet min in '23 and a dead money hit of $10-$12mil in '27.
I hope we don't see this practice used until they know what they have in Love and figure out what needs to be done to fill holes with Veterans.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Call it whatever you want "Getting over the Rodgers hangover", "Fresh Start With Love", etc. But I am pumped for the upcoming season. Not because I think that the Packers will be great in 2023, but just excited for most of the talk to center around the whole team....and oh yeah, firing Joe Barry. :D Hey, maybe even Joe will make strides this year too, time for some positive Packer energy!

Members online

Latest posts