Too early to talk draft?

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, we just won the big game, and the Lombardi trophy is finally resting where it should be. But if we've learned anything about TT this year, we know he's already looking ahead. I'm pretty sure he has backup plans for 30 players going on IR next year (Kidding....kind of).

That being said, even after winning the biggest game on the biggest stage against one of the biggest and best teams, we still have room for improvement. As fans we should all want to repeat (duh), so I pose this question:

What 1 position (1 position, not 2, 3, 4 or more) could we use the most help at next year? Or maybe not help, but more depth?

Here's my Q&D analysis of our positions, both talent-wise and depth-wise. I tried to use green and yellow, but trying to read words in bright yellow just hurt my brain.

QB:Talent: Fine
Depth: Fine (unless Flynn goes somewhere in the offseason)

RB: Talent: Fine
Depth: Fine (Starks has looked good, Grant was reliable from day 1)

OL: Talent: Fine
Depth: Not fine (LG still sketchy, Clifton is old, Bulaga is still learning)

WR: Talent: Fine (someone please give James jones some stick'em, though)
Depth: Fine (Driver will come back, and even if he doesn't we're fine)

TE: Talent: Fine
Depth: Not fine (Finley went down, didn't hear from any of our TEs after that)

FB: KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHN

DL:
Talent: Fine
Depth: Fine (Jolly may even come back some day)

ILB: Talent: Fine
Depth: Not fine (either Barnett or Hawk will be out, I'd bet)

OLB: Talent: Fine
Depth: Fine (may question me on this one, but our LB coach and Capers got walden and zombo involved right away, and they were nobodys)

CB: Talent: Fine
Depth: Not Fine (J.Bush may have had a Super Bowl INT, but he also lost hines ward in the corner of the end zone)

FS: Talent: Fine
Depth: Not fine (I'm pretty sure I could run pass coverage better than our backups)

SS: Talent: Mediocre (Peprah was a fine replacement, but we need a real playmaker)
Depth: Not fine (Peprah was the starter, what else do you need to know?)

K: Talent: Questionable (Mason makes some long ones, then misses some, then makes a few, then misses a clutch one)

P: Talent: Fine

Following that picture (which is my amateur fan-biased view of things), I say we make OL top priority. Aaron is our most valuable asset, and I don't want his career to end because he got sacked too many ******** times. Also, didn't analyze (if you could really call this an analysis) depth at kicker and punter, because who the hell has more than 1 kicker or punter on the game day roster?

And yes, I had someone in mind as a matter of fact. It's questionable that he'll drop to us at the last pick in the 1st round (that has such a nice ring to it :happy0005:), but Nate Solder is a beast of a human being and if trained well could not only help in protection, but also throw people out of the way for Grant and/or Starks.

Thoughts? Opinions? Also, just in case you forgot while reading this beast of a thread, WERE WORLD CHAMPIONS BABY! THE PACK IS BACK!!!!!!!!

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Peter King seems to think Jones will leave as a FA and Driver might retire.

So, I'm not so sure how fine we are at WR anymore if that all happens.

OP
OP
PackisBack

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too early.

That was more of a rhetorical question. Why even waste space on the server by replying to it if you thought that? Did you read any of it? I'm just as high on this win as everyone else, but it's a business, and real champions are in it for the long haul. I know we're fans, and we don't have to train or make decisions thus allowing more time to gloat and bask in the spotlight, but that same principle gives us the ability to look a little further ahead than we probably should. C'mon man.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The draft is my favorite subject when it comes to football.. It is easier to do when your team isn't playing so this year I havent done as much because WE JUST WON THE SUPER BOWL! So let it begin!

OP
OP
PackisBack

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peter King seems to think Jones will leave as a FA and Driver might retire.

So, I'm not so sure how fine we are at WR anymore if that all happens.

Taking Peter King at his word is a crapshoot, although he did pick us in the preseason (along with almost every other pundit and analyst :happy0005::happy0005:)

Looking at the team as it is now, WR is probably our 2nd deepest position next to DLine.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we're ok at Safety, we've got a couple young guys on IR that add depth there. I think Quarless and Crabtree both need a good offseason like Finely had 2 years ago to make him a LOT more dependable, TE's I think we're fine.

We for sure could use another WR/KO/PR, OL and DL line help, OLB help and maybe a couple other spots but nothing is glaring

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
I say start a 2012 Draft thread too, just in case there's a lockout this year.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never too early. Someone to replace Jones could be an option with the first pick. Maybe get another CB, or a guard. Love me some draft talk.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like the Packers to look offensive line and corner. I think it's apparent we are not very deep at corner as when Woodson and Shields went down our secondary struggled. Clifton won't be around forever and a guy like Castonzo could be on one side with Bulaga on the other could really set the offensive line for a long time.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we do have a draft section of the forum...

Kuhn is a FA I believe.
I think we really need a compliment to Matthews on OLB.
Depending on who is available I could see them going MLB high in the draft and part ways with what we have.
Oline is still an issue as we will lose at least one member and Clifton is getting old, but who knows what Lang has. He did well against peppers.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OLB is not fine.

Who is good in coverage? Not Zombo... Not Walden.. Neither are very strong and won't overpower any lineman.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That was more of a rhetorical question. Why even waste space on the server by replying to it if you thought that? Did you read any of it? I'm just as high on this win as everyone else, but it's a business, and real champions are in it for the long haul. I know we're fans, and we don't have to train or make decisions thus allowing more time to gloat and bask in the spotlight, but that same principle gives us the ability to look a little further ahead than we probably should. C'mon man.

Don't talk to me like that.. Besides there is an entire section for draft if you're done celebrating..

OP
OP
PackisBack

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we do have a draft section of the forum...

Kuhn is a FA I believe.
I think we really need a compliment to Matthews on OLB.
Depending on who is available I could see them going MLB high in the draft and part ways with what we have.
Oline is still an issue as we will lose at least one member and Clifton is getting old, but who knows what Lang has. He did well against peppers.

If it's a huge deal I'm sure a mod could move it and make it the official thread or whatever. I'm here to talk football not which section the post belongs in.

As for Kuhn being a FA, TT has a rep for keeping our guys in GB, I don't think he'll be going anywhere. It's not like he's slated to make 10 million. I think because of the Capers scheme just about anyone with athletic talent could be the other OLB. As long as our DLine keeps getting a push and CM3 keeps doing his thing that's the last of our worries.

Didn't think about getting rid of Barnett and Hawk, but keeping on the topic of how TT does things, that's certainly not out of the question. Bishop will stay obviously. Have you seen any standout MLBs that are draft eligible? I haven't looked at that position much honestly.

OP
OP
PackisBack

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OLB is not fine.

Who is good in coverage? Not Zombo... Not Walden.. Neither are very strong and won't overpower any lineman.

Like I said, in my eyes that position is covered in the scheme. most of the time our OLBs don't play coverage; we play a lot of Nickel package instead to get an extra DB out there. And from what I remember, Walden did pretty well before he got injured, and Zombo had a sack in the biggest game of the season.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see the Packers letting Barnett go, Hawk stepped it up and became the glue of this defense. He'll be cheaper and has stepped up his game too

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it's a huge deal I'm sure a mod could move it and make it the official thread or whatever. I'm here to talk football not which section the post belongs in.

As for Kuhn being a FA, TT has a rep for keeping our guys in GB, I don't think he'll be going anywhere. It's not like he's slated to make 10 million. I think because of the Capers scheme just about anyone with athletic talent could be the other OLB. As long as our DLine keeps getting a push and CM3 keeps doing his thing that's the last of our worries.

Didn't think about getting rid of Barnett and Hawk, but keeping on the topic of how TT does things, that's certainly not out of the question. Bishop will stay obviously. Have you seen any standout MLBs that are draft eligible? I haven't looked at that position much honestly.

Being a badger fan i spend more time watching the big 10 so hopefully I am not too biased but wilson from Illinois is a beast but not project really high so we have a legit shot at getting him.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeXDO4o9NU0]YouTube - Martez Wilson Highlights 1 YouTube sharing[/ame]

OP
OP
PackisBack

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being a badger fan i spend more time watching the big 10 so hopefully I am not too biased but wilson from Illinois is a beast but not project really high so we have a legit shot at getting him.

Watched the video and definitely liked what I saw. He looked like he had really good speed for a LB too I'm gonna go check and see if he has any logged 40 times anywhere now. Of course highlight videos are what they are, and they show the best but not the worst LOL.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how to embed a video but here is a link for Martez Wilson vs Ohio St. It really isn't a highlight video just a video of about all the plays you can see Wilson. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_kX-cfzjjw"]YouTube - Martez Wilson vs Ohio State[/ame]

Edit I guess I do know how to embed a video lol.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO i think we need to take a look at another good pass rusher on the outside opposite of clay and maybe even a good inside linebacker for rushing and coverage. O-line needs some more Beef and Definitely one more play making wideout that can hold on to the critical balls. (Larry Fitz... ya i know it'll never happen.):happy0005: Ya baby please no lock out... we have to go back this feels too good... i want a dynasty!

OP
OP
PackisBack

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another WR wouldn't hurt in the later rounds either.

Yeah it wouldn't hurt at all. Nothing like giving the Super Bowl MVP more weapons haha! And I agree if it happens it should be a developmental pick in the late rounds. No need to waste high picks and lots of money on a Dez bryant, you see how far he carried the cowboys this year.

Members online

Latest posts