Tonight will tell

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think tonights game will be telling since over half of it will be our first string again theirs. Cincinnati has a very good defense so we will so what our offensive line will do. I am worried about the pack on several levels and hope we see the old Favre. My prediction, they dominate our OL and Favre and other QB'S have little time to set up and passing game is poor. On offense the bengals run Rudi Johnson and he gets 5 yards per carry. final score bengals 27, Packers 10.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
see, these are the types of posts you get when most of the ppl that post on this forum aren't from WI. they don't go to games, go to practice or read articles.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
edit...dang it, dh - i forgot i'm supposed to ignore your posts! arrrrrgh!!!

having said that, i'm not sure that tonite is the be all/end all gauge of the season to come. in fact, i'd go as far to say that preseason means very little. but then again, i'm from illinois so i guess i don't know much.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's pre-season. Simply a glorified practice against a different set of uniforms. Of course you want to see your team playing well (especially if you are sitting in a full-price stadium seat) but the fact that they do or don't really, IMHO, has no bearing on the season outcome.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackinSteel said:
It's pre-season. Simply a glorified practice against a different set of uniforms. Of course you want to see your team playing well (especially if you are sitting in a full-price stadium seat) but the fact that they do or don't really, IMHO, has no bearing on the season outcome.

For the last 40 years, the third pre-season game is like the regular season. both teams play their starters into the third quarter. it is the final warm up to the regular season.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to believe that this game will give us a good glimpse at the TYPE of team we have. It will indicate character, ability to learn, to adapt and fight the odds. IOW, HEART! Will this OL find the extra something to give Ahman Green his chance to excel? Will the OL give Favre the time to go through his progressions? Will the D realize just how important their role is this year? More so than other years? Will Fergy FINALLY realize that his #2 job could slip away if he doesn't make his play equal his mouth? Will Davenport see the handwriting on the wall? Lots of questions should be answered tonight. VERY important PS game for Pacfker fans.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure the starters are in the game longer. However, you have to think the McCarthy and staff have haven't gameplanned. Neither do they want to "give away" their offense to upcoming regular season opponents.

I keep seeing similar discussions on the Steeler's board - they are 0-3 and half the board is panicking while the other half agrees with me. Pittsburgh didn't score an offensive touchdown in the '05 preseason and things turned out ok for them :lol: Indy last year was 0-5 yet undefeated until late November if I recall.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
I think tonights game will be telling since over half of it will be our first string again theirs. Cincinnati has a very good defense so we will so what our offensive line will do. I am worried about the pack on several levels and hope we see the old Favre. My prediction, they dominate our OL and Favre and other QB'S have little time to set up and passing game is poor. On offense the bengals run Rudi Johnson and he gets 5 yards per carry. final score bengals 27, Packers 10.
Actually Pax i think you are wrong on that I dont think the OL will struggle as much as you think. Bottom line as a good OL can make a run game look good a run game can help an OL mature. I believe that GB gets this one as a W under its belt.

GB 21 Bungles 14

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the match up because they can run the ball and while Palmer might not play a whole lot he will be one of the better QB's we face when you look at our schedule.

A good challenge for the "D".

Our offense should be able to do some things against these guys which is important in their progress. There "D" lives and dies by the turnover and that's exactly what we want to turn around this year.

So there's a challenge for the "O" to keep it going after last week AND not turn it over.

It's a road game. We have to be able to play well on the road.

So I like the game for what we can take from it.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we will be able to learn somthing tonight....Probably that our O line isnt very good, and that the "West Coast Style offense" that we were doing last week is the answer. Hope we stick with it.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i will be looking at the running game in the first quater because green will play. that should give us a good prediction of how the running game will be the rest of the season.

im sure favre will be fine as long as the o line is good.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, I have to watch the game on the computer at work so I am looking forward to reading all your insight after the game. Cheers all !!!

OP
OP
P

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
see, these are the types of posts you get when most of the ppl that post on this forum aren't from WI. they don't go to games, go to practice or read articles.

So I don't live in Green Bay and have never been there. I have been a loyal Packer fan for 40 years and read and follow everything I can about them. I see every game on Direct TV and reruns of the practice games on the NFL network. What exactly about my post do you have problems with other than your rant about not being in Wisconsin. :roll: :?:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I really don't think Pre Season says much about the team, but more so on the players. Sounds stupid doesn't it?

IF the team were going against 1s with their 1s for four quarters, then yes. You can make a fair assessment of the team.

That's not the case though. Ever in preseason.

Instead you get coaches putting players in at certain times to see how they handle the situation and to gauge the outcome.

Pre Season is not to gauge teams, its to gauge players.

OP
OP
P

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
I really don't think Pre Season says much about the team, but more so on the players. Sounds stupid doesn't it?

IF the team were going against 1s with their 1s for four quarters, then yes. You can make a fair assessment of the team.

Instead you get coaches putting players in at certain times to see how they handle the situation and to gauge the outcome.

Players are the team. And it will give us an idea of the OL which from where I stand is little different than last year and was the big weakness then.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
Zero2Cool said:

Players are the team. And it will give us an idea of the OL which from where I stand is little different than last year and was the big weakness then.

I don't think you understood what I was saying. lol

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as they get through it without any injuries, it's ok.
Of course i want them to win, as i think it helps the team's mental situation. If they stink it up, they might carry it over into the Bears game, and we don't want that!

mineral723

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
paxvogel said:
Actually Pax i think you are wrong on that I dont think the OL will struggle as much as you think. Bottom line as a good OL can make a run game look good a run game can help an OL mature. I believe that GB gets this one as a W under its belt.

GB 21 Bungles 14
amazing.

Staff online

Latest posts