To me the Packers are like the Yankees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of the New York Yankees baseball team.
What I am a fan of is the concept.
Because of their rich history and dynasty, to me they ARE baseball.
Like all the other teams could fall off the face of the earth or disappear but the NY Yankees would still be there.
That's how I feel about the Packers.
Same kind of rich history and greatness through all of they're years. They are the ONLY football team that really matters. All the others are just filler.
I know this is biased and a homer's point of view but that's how I feel about our Green Bay Packers in comparison to all the other teams.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But please let's not emulate them doing great in the regular season and choking in the Playoffs. They have one world championship since 2000.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't necessarily agree with this thread, and I hate the yankees. I think the yankees and lakers are two sports franchises that are far and above every other franchise in the three major sports. I think the packers are the richest in football history but I think the importance and history of the yankees is richer, deeper, and more historically important to their respective sport than the packers is to football. That is my take, I don't expect everyone to agree, this is a very interesting topic though, got me thinking for sure.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well this team certainly isnt RUN like the yankees. and thats a great thing.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I get the concept, ff, and I agree. Love 'em or hate 'em, the Yankees are a deity associated with the "all American" aspect of MLB. When folks think of National League Football and it's origins, I'd like to think that Green Bay Packers is the first thing that comes to mind. Signed, GBG, aka Biased Homer-ette.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have wished that this concept and thread title were more like "To Me The Packers Are Like Kleenex." Everyone associates Kleenex with facial tissue. Same with Frisbee. I'd take either of those comparisons over the Yankees! Point taken though. The Packers are an icon, maybe not the face of the league, but an icon.

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't necessarily agree with this thread, and I hate the yankees. I think the yankees and lakers are two sports franchises that are far and above every other franchise in the three major sports. I think the packers are the richest in football history but I think the importance and history of the yankees is richer, deeper, and more historically important to their respective sport than the packers is to football. That is my take, I don't expect everyone to agree, this is a very interesting topic though, got me thinking for sure.

Yanks & Packs have 2 things in common: Winning & a detestation of losing......that's all there is to know...and they're very good at both

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
.......or the Mets, Royals or Pirates

NYY 27 championships in 40 attempts
27 — New York Yankees, AL: (1923, 1927, 1928, 1932, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1943, 1947, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1956, 1958, 1961, 1962, 1977, 1978, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2009)
11 — St. Louis Cardinals, NL (1926, 1931, 1934, 1942, 1944, 1946, 1964, 1967, 1982, 2006, 2011)
7 — Boston Red Sox, AL (1903, 1912, 1915, 1916, 1918, 2004, 2007)
5 — New York Giants, NL (1905, 1921, 1922, 1933, 1954)

as you can see the next 3 have 23 combined.....any other questions

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers dont go around trying to grab all the best "names" in the league. The mentality is to build through the draft and make the team grow in strength, preparing for a cohesive unit.
The Yankees are run more like the 2011 Eagles...and you see how well that worked out.

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers dont go around trying to grab all the best "names" in the league. The mentality is to build through the draft and make the team grow in strength, preparing for a cohesive unit.
The Yankees are run more like the 2011 Eagles...and you see how well that worked out.

I really have to say......and I dont say things like this often here......you're an utter fool to compare NYY to the Eagles

The Yanks can "buy" whoever they want.......it's part of the system.......they pay a heavy luxurytax for that privilege.....are you one of those guys who thinks everything should be fair?

Free agency in Football is a lot different than MLB

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Posada, Cano, Bernie Williams, Pettitte, Mariano all came thru their system

If they dont sign names Boston, Philly, the Giants or the Dodgers might...it all comes down to wanting to win......bottom line....Pack fans know all about winning as evidenced by 13 titles........you sound like my dad & my uncles God rest all their souls.....they were jealous Met and Old Brooklyn Dodger fans who detested the fact that NYY beat them like rented mules...as you can see I'm much more passionate about NYY than NYG.......lol

SNAP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How many championships do the Eagles have.....Phillies.........Flyers?

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I understand what our trying to say but to me, the Yankees are the best team money can buy. A bunch of mercenary's in pin stripes. They have a few names that stay on their rosters their whole career but most of the talent they bring in are high priced free agents. If MLB had a cap system the Yankees would be just another large market team with a history.

I can't believe they couldn't have refurbed Yankee stadium to upgrade it. How do you just throw away the house that Ruth built. That just solidified their legacy as far as I was concerned.

I would never compare the Packers to the Yankees. The only thing in common is the teams are old and have won a lot of championships. The similarities stop there.

If I were to look to a team that I consider represents baseball I would go with the cubs or Redsox. Old stadiums, loyal diehard fans who have stayed thru the longest dry spells in sport.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I must have offended you for you to reply 3 different times. Calm down there buddy. There's a reason you only have 13 likes....

In addition, the Packers are not HATED nationwide.

FearThePack

13x World Champs!
Reaction score
The Packers and Yankees both have won the most championships in their respective sports. But there are HUGE differences in how both teams accomplished those championships. The Yankees go out and buy a large majority of their talent because they play in the biggest market in sports, they can afford to do so. Is that right or fair? No, because not every team has an equal chance. And the luxury tax? Please, that's a joke. It doesn't even come close leveling the playing field.

The Packers on the other hand, can't just go out and buy the best players as the NFL actually cares about keeping it an even playing field for all teams.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Our team can't be run like the yankees because of the difference in caps between football and baseball. I hate the yankees, I am a cardinals/twins/rangers fan. You have to admit the yankees do a great job of filling up their stadium, selling jerseys, getting publicity, and putting out a consistently winning team every year. I wouldn't say 27 titles is "not winning all the marbles"

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our team can't be run like the yankees because of the difference in caps between football and baseball. I hate the yankees, I am a cardinals/twins/rangers fan. You have to admit the yankees do a great job of filling up their stadium, selling jerseys, getting publicity, and putting out a consistently winning team every year. I wouldn't say 27 titles is "not winning all the marbles"

come on man, you cant add the Brewers to that list of favorite teams ?! :p GO BREW CREW! WI SPORTS FOR THE WIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts