TN-LA Trade Impact (if any)

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This trade has zero impact on us at 27. As I said before, it only impacts picks 1-10 (1-15 at most). If a team trades up to select Lynch now, then that means they were selecting Lynch (or a QB in general) before this trade even happened. This doesn't mean players like Bosa, Jack or someone falls to pick #27, LOL. The same players that were likely going to be there at 27, will still be there at 27 after this trade.
To be fair. With a run on QBs early. meaning top 2 picks are QB, and Lynch more than likely going around #20 rather than #30 maybe... This could delay a run an another position... That alone could change the whole face of the first round. The butterfly effect in a way...

For instance, Tunsil being there later might get a team to grab him, rather than Ramsay. Sparking a run at OT... A team who needs secondary help would take Ramsay now rather than the top CB, which could have spurred a run on CBs. But didnt... Now the CBs slip. This could be the difference between a CB being top player on our board, vs a OT.

But in the nature of the beast. We will never know. with 32 teams, I bet you could do the 1st round twice, EXACTLY THE SAME order, and prospects.... And come out with different results. Its so many moving parts. Timing. Feeling the moment....

Another way I think if could effect GB greatly, is talked about in the Paxton Lynch topic... I think if he slipped to #27, Greenbay could trade back with a team that needed him, and make a haul of high draft picks in the process... Now the talk is he will be going mid-late 1st round, out of supply and demand... So our chances of such a trade a much smaller IMO.

the trade doesnt effect us much, but it does change things...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
the trade doesnt effect us much, but it does change things...
Tennessee is now sitting on a larger pile of draft picks. They have the ammunition to easily move back into the mid-late first round. Then again they'd probably target someone that was going to be gone anyway. Only if they call TT does it really affect GB. Of the 5-7 players that were originally going late 20's before this trade, 5-7 of them should still be going there.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You still haven't provided a reasonable explanation as to why three or even more players drop to the Packers spot because of one team selecting a QB.

Read Eli's post.

First of all it will be pretty tough for Thompson to trade the 121st and 127th pick as those belong to the Vikings and Bears respectively. I guess you're talking about the Packers compensatory picks in the fourth round (#131 and #137) which can't be traded though.

Typos on my part. I was staring at a lot of numbers in rows and columns.

Put down the pipe son and slowly back away. On a draft and develop team that may need to rebuild its OL, DL, and OLB positions over the next 2 seasons should dump its 2,3,and fourth round picks to get one of several players. That tells me right there that ain't any of them very special. I'll gloss over the non tradeable comp picks and your (hopefully) typos for now.

Yes, typos. With smart restructuring and fiscal responsibility I believe the OL can be salvaged. Hell had TT let Perry walk we might not be so worried about this scenario.

To be fair. With a run on QBs early. meaning top 2 picks are QB, and Lynch more than likely going around #20 rather than #30 maybe... This could delay a run an another position... That alone could change the whole face of the first round. The butterfly effect in a way...

For instance, Tunsil being there later might get a team to grab him, rather than Ramsey. Sparking a run at OT... A team who needs secondary help would take Ramsey now rather than the top CB, which could have spurred a run on CBs. But didnt... Now the CBs slip. This could be the difference between a CB being top player on our board, vs a OT.

But in the nature of the beast. We will never know. with 32 teams, I bet you could do the 1st round twice, EXACTLY THE SAME order, and prospects.... And come out with different results. Its so many moving parts. Timing. Feeling the moment....

Another way I think if could effect GB greatly, is talked about in the Paxton Lynch topic... I think if he slipped to #27, Greenbay could trade back with a team that needed him, and make a haul of high draft picks in the process... Now the talk is he will be going mid-late 1st round, out of supply and demand... So our chances of such a trade a much smaller IMO.

Thank you for posting that, that was next on my list of evidence. Based on everyone's logic here either you're really high on the prospects of your own mocks or believe the "Experts" have determined a set draft order that will not change whatsoever. I quite frankly am flabberghasted that you people think this doesn't affect us. The entire Draft is a domino effect. Just make sure all of you call me "Swami" come May 1st.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Like taking all your savings, and investing in the lottery for retirment... Im sorry but this trade is crazy!

I completely agree that a real franchise QB is worth a move like this. And the only rookie QB i wouldve considered for something like this is Luck. Who was touted as the #1 a year before he left school, and called a once a generation prospect....Or for an established young star QB...
But Wentz and Goff? Nobody even knows who is #1. Most mocks had Tunsil picked first. I seen Ramsey 1st too. Either way, these QBs are not as good as most #1 overall QBs IMO. Based solely on this theory...

You also added 3 franchises failed in 30 years... And the GM decides to go all in the very first hand dealt??? I mean? Are they going for 4?

Here is how I see this going..... See Brown franchise record the last 5 years... If you consider the two1st ,two high 2nds, and two 3rds are all or nothing. You MIGHT get a good franchise qb? You might draft brady quinn, brandon weeden, and johan manziel, all at once if this rookie somehow doesnt handle the nfl, la, becoming a multi millionaire in the land of big pimpin'... All at once. Lol

This reminds me of herschel walker and the ricky williams trades... Truely amazing rbs in a running league. Even those didnt work out...
I remember hearing about the walker trade and thinking the Cowboys are going to be winning some super bowls soon. Mike Lynn has got to be the dumbest guy on the planet. I totally agree that a cant miss guy like Luck is the only time a trade like this is a good move. It's a total bonanza for the Titans.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tennessee is now sitting on a larger pile of draft picks. They have the ammunition to easily move back into the mid-late first round. Then again they'd probably target someone that was going to be gone anyway. Only if they call TT does it really affect GB. Of the 5-7 players that were originally going late 20's before this trade, 5-7 of them should still be going there.
There's a possibility that they could trade for GB's pick in the first round if there was a coveted player available, though I'm not sure we'd get much in return. the LA deal doesn't really mean much otherwise, at least that we can forsee at this point.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For all those who don't think Lynch can go Top 20 at this point:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...axton-lynch-to-visit-broncos-dines-with-bills

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000653399/article/memphis-paxton-lynch-visiting-jets-saints

3 QBs in the Top 20 means 3 possible outstanding defensive players that could possibly fall to #27 that might not have happened prior to this trade. Like I said 3 out of the 8 players I listed possibly being available, such as Lee, Ragland, and Reed/Robinson

Which again also means Jones, Cook, and Hackenberg all slide up to the top of Round 2, no later than the middle of the round, with the Broncos possibly selecting one at 31st Overall.

I'm calling it, Round 1 will be a run on QBs. - YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!!!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
3 QBs in the Top 20 means 3 possible outstanding defensive players that could possibly fall to #27 that might not have happened prior to this trade.

What exactly are we hearing from you that we haven't read in other mock drafts the past several months? Both Lynch AND even possibly Cook have been talked about as possible first round picks. If teams want one of them and feel they need to get them earlier, they will, the Rams-Titan trade didn't change this. But back to the OP, the Rams-Titans trade had little or no effect on who will be available for the Packers at #27. As of today, before and after that trade, the same 26 teams will be picking before the Packers pick, the same 40-50 players that have been talked about as potential first rounders are still out there. What would create a change, for the Packers, would be if teams with similar needs from 15-26 start trading down or out of the first round and teams with less similar needs take their places. Otherwise, until the draft finally starts and teams start picking and/or moving around in the draft, not much has changed for the Packers. I'm hoping for runs on QB's, CB's, RB's, S's and Punters (just seeing if anyone is reading this crap) before its time for the Packers pick.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping for runs on QB's, CB's, RB's, S's and Punters (just seeing if anyone is reading this crap) before its time for the Packers pick.
If there was a punter guaranteed to be able to put it inside the 20 from anywhere on the field, and from your own 40 on in, they were able to put it inside the 10, I'd take him pretty early :) Of course I have never seen a punter like this in my life, but having the ability to flip the field on every single possession would a huge advantage. Even if we have only mediocre linebackers :)

On a serious note, of course every team that picks before Green Bay is going to impact who we pick. Just like every draft. But largely, once you get outside the top 10, drafts tend to be a bit erratic and unpredictable anyway, it's not as if we know right now who we're getting and this trade somehow changes it. Sure they have ideas, and maybe the trade changes some probabilities by some unpredictable and variable amount, but overall, we're going to most likely have the same handful or slightly better of guys with 1st round grades to pick from at #27, as we did before this trade happened.

D

Deleted member 6794

Typos on my part. I was staring at a lot of numbers in rows and columns.

Well, it's still true that compensatory picks can't be traded.

3 QBs in the Top 20 means 3 possible outstanding defensive players that could possibly fall to #27 that might not have happened prior to this trade. Like I said 3 out of the 8 players I listed possibly being available, such as Lee, Ragland, and Reed/Robinson.

Geez, Goff and Wentz would have been drafted within the top 15 even without this trade happening meaning it doesn't result in three defensive players dropping to later in the first round. It's possible other QBs will be drafted before the Packers selection at #27, although it wouldn't be smart, but the Rams/Titans trade won't affect this either.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This trade has zero impact on us at 27. As I said before, it only impacts picks 1-10 (1-15 at most). If a team trades up to select Lynch now, then that means they were selecting Lynch (or a QB in general) before this trade even happened. This doesn't mean players like Bosa, Jack or someone falls to pick #27, LOL. The same players that were likely going to be there at 27, will still be there at 27 after this trade.
It could lure a team to take the best OT that formerly was not going to be available to them. So maybe they take him instead of a DT...Then dominoes continue to fall

D

Deleted member 6794

It could lure a team to take the best OT that formerly was not going to be available to them. So maybe they take him instead of a DT...Then dominoes continue to fall

The trade will most likely result in players in the top 15 being picked in a different order but will hardly have any impact on who will be available once the Packers are in the clock.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The trade will most likely result in players in the top 15 being picked in a different order but will hardly have any impact on who will be available once the Packers are in the clock.
One player is all we care about. If one player who maybe wouldn't have fallen to us before now falls, that's the effect I'm talking about. I'm not saying 5 guys fall or anything like that, just one.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pure speculation on my part, but with today's Cleveland/Eagles trade the 1st round may be significantly affected. Cleveland (#8) could be angling for Paxton Lynch which could force other QB-needy teams to start looking at tail-end of round 1 for Cook (or even Hackenberg if John Gruden hasn't completely lost his marbles). The 5th year option on 1st rounders adds a lot of value to a QB who may have gone in the 2nd but can be grabbed in late 1st.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It sounds like the Eagles-Browns trade all but guaranteed Goff and Wentz will be the first 2 players taken. Guessing the Eagles felt the need to jump ahead of both the Browns and 49'ers to get one of the two QB's. The Chargers (#3) and Cowboys (#4) have to be smiling with these two trades. If either the 49ers or Broncos are wanting the next best QB (Lynch), or even 4th best (Cook), they both must be wondering where they need to be to get one of them. Would love to see Denver move past the 49'ers to secure Lynch. LOL.....more QB's taken earlier....better for that #27 pick.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought the Browns would do this, or at least try to. With all the QB misses over the years, I expect them to try to build a dominant D and good ground game with a servicable passing game. Al la Tampa Bay way back. Good strategy I think. RBIII should be good enough to run a ground and pound offense and make a few throws here and there.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#32 pick is 2nd round... would only cost Cleveland's #32 & their 4th rounder #99 (per the trade value chart) to move up to pick 27-30 if they have a willing partner, giving them the 5th year option on QB #5.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#32 pick is 2nd round... would only cost Cleveland's #32 & their 4th rounder #99 (per the trade value chart) to move up to pick 27-30 if they have a willing partner, giving them the 5th year option on QB #5.
If they like Lynch, they might trade back a few spots and pick up another pick.
I'd like to see the Pack move up to the early 20's if a player they like is there. We have nine picks, IMO we have maybe five or six position's available, maybe less on the 52 man roster. Late round or undrafted guys may have a better chance to make the practice squad. Hopefully we have an injury free preseason, as far as starters goes.

D

Deleted member 6794

Aside of Goff and Wentz, who will most likely be drafted first and second, there isn't another quarterback available worthy of a first round pick.

But it's possible that several desperate teams will reach for QBs in the first round, hopefully resulting in players targeted by the Packers still being on the board at #27.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Aside of Goff and Wentz, who will most likely be drafted first and second, there isn't another quarterback available worthy of a first round pick.

But it's possible that several desperate teams will reach for QBs in the first round, hopefully resulting in players targeted by the Packers still being on the board at #27.

They have been saying all along this is one of the weakest QB classes in awhile, so its fun to see all these teams who are in desperate need of a QB scramble.

Previously I hadn't really read much on either Wentz or Goff, but now that I have, it sounds like both are somewhat of gambles to be considered franchise QB's, yet alone trade what both the Rams and now the Eagles did to get either of them. It will be interesting to see how this turns out for both teams. I'm just glad that if it doesn't work out for them, they are both NFC teams. :) I'm also happy not to be a Rams or Eagles fan, since if this doesn't work out for them, the trade may set your team back several years.

D

Deleted member 6794

Previously I hadn't really read much on either Wentz or Goff, but now that I have, it sounds like both are somewhat of gambles to be considered franchise QB's, yet alone trade what both the Rams and now the Eagles did to get either of them. It will be interesting to see how this turns out for both teams. I'm just glad that if it doesn't work out for them, they are both NFC teams. :) I'm also happy not to be a Rams or Eagles fan, since if this doesn't work out for them, the trade may set your team back several years.

I´m especially shocked to see what the Eagles gave up to move into the second spot. Including their trade with the Dolphins to move up to #8 earlier this offseason they gave up a total of 3,055 points according to the draft value chart (assuming they end up in the same spot in next year´s draft), Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell while receiving a total of 2,708 points in return.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have been saying all along this is one of the weakest QB classes in awhile, so its fun to see all these teams who are in desperate need of a QB scramble.

It has to be far from the weakest. Look at 2013-EJ Manuel was the first QB selected:poop:
That draft was garbage overall. 2014 was stacked.

Staff online

Latest posts