TN-LA Trade Impact (if any)

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big news in the NFL today with the Tennessee-LA trade for the #1 pick. Wow, bet you never see that kind of deal from TT unless he's the guy getting all the picks. Anyway, the obvious question here is, does this trade have an impact on players available to the Packers at #27 with 2QB's now likely going in picks 1 and 2? With Tunsil now no longer an option at #1, how does this play out down the line? Does another QB sneak in earlier than expected or does that #3 drop to Rd 2? Does that eat up another DL option for the packers or leave them with perhaps a higher option at OT than expected?

Your thoughts folks?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I tried to play out the same thing, but I really don't see it impacting the #27 player available that much if at all. Same # of QB's will probably come off the board before the #27 pick. Basically, 26 guys come off the board, by the same teams that were ahead of us before the trade. A benefit might be seen by some of the teams picking 3-14 though. Cleveland may have gotten hosed, if they wanted Wentz over Goff and the 49'ers equally hosed if they wanted Goff over Lynch.

Now if teams with similar needs as the Packers, trade out of the 16-26 pic spot with teams with different needs as the Packers, that would help :D

From what I have seen, having a team like Atlanta or Buffalo trade out of the first would benefit us, since both appear to have similar defensive needs as the Packers.

I actually think if nobody is there at #27, that TT is that excited about, he will trade out of the first with a team picking early in the second to add another pick. The 4 teams scheduled to pick after the Packers don't appear to have the same needs. Maybe the Titans would trade the #33 and #76th pick for our #27?

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does nothing to impact us at all. When trades happen at the top of the draft like that, the back half wont be feeling any ripple effects. So its status quo. The only teams this will effect are picks 1-10 honestly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I figure Ted and Co. have a bunch of contingency plans picking as late in the round as we do. They have to, because there are a lot of things that can happen before. I don't think this changes a ton of things, other than the Titans are poised to really improve their team and the Rams better hit an Aaron Rodgers type homerun with their pick.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LMAO! How would we pass on Spence and Dodd for a CB. Man, just about anyone does mock drafts now.
Dream scenario. Unfortunately that dream is a nightmare. Reed going to the Seahawks one pick before ours? Uggggh. Dallas benefits greatly.

I think Cleveland all along thought they were getting Wentz. I think if Tenn kept the pick that OT was the pick, it made so much sense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Cleveland all along thought they were getting Wentz. I think if Tenn kept the pick that OT was the pick, it made so much sense.

Can't find the article now, but a few weeks ago I read that Cleveland was toying with the idea of trying to swap picks with the Titans, just to assure themselves of not losing Wentz. Maybe they didn't offer the Titans enough to do it, but if someone made the decision in Cleveland not to, thinking Wentz was in the bag, they are scrambling right now on evaluating Goff. The Browns organization just can't catch a break on a QB.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This trade is nuts for a new team in a new city. Basicly two years of 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks??? maybe Im missing something, but is Wentz that good? I remember not long ago, people wondering who would go #1??? Now they are so sure on wentz that they trade 6 high picks for him??? Crazy IMO.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This trade is nuts for a new team in a new city. Basicly two years of 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks??? maybe Im missing something, but is Wentz that good? I remember not long ago, people wondering who would go #1??? Now they are so sure on wentz that they trade 6 high picks for him??? Crazy IMO.
Must think he's at least as good as John Hadl.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dream scenario. Unfortunately that dream is a nightmare. Reed going to the Seahawks one pick before ours? Uggggh. Dallas benefits greatly.

Yea, Im convinced who ever I decide I REALLY want, come draft day, Seattle will steal them..... Vernon Butler comes to mind... Or Ragland slips...

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Several sources speculating that Jared Goff will be the Rams pick.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fisher was quoted as saying they made this trade at this time so that they can have 2 weeks to debate between Goff and Wentz. Right now they are leaning towards Goff but they could easily flipflop. Honestly I hope they take Wentz. Wentz causes the most fallout in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 6794

LMAO! How would we pass on Spence and Dodd for a CB. Man, just about anyone does mock drafts now.

If the first round works out that way with Floyd, Ragland, Billings and Reed gone the Packers should either try to trade back or select Corey Coleman.

BTW I agree this trade doesn't affect the Packers at all.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fisher was quoted as saying they made this trade at this time so that they can have 2 weeks to debate between Goff and Wentz. Right now they are leaning towards Goff but they could easily flipflop. Honestly I hope they take Wentz. Wentz causes the most fallout in my opinion.
Did you hear that? I keep seeing him not saying anything other than "we have someone in mind". I did see a quote from Titans saying they did it now so they can focus on players based on their extra draft slots, that is, players at 15, they should have those 2 2nd rounders covered.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A franchise QB is worth all that and more. It's also a funny market and the excitement generated by this will help fill the seats. 3 NFL teams have left LA in the last 30 years because of lack of support. Getting a face for the franchise may have some to do with marketing, but I still think it is a sound football decision as well.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A franchise QB is worth all that and more. It's also a funny market and the excitement generated by this will help fill the seats. 3 NFL teams have left LA in the last 30 years because of lack of support. Getting a face for the franchise may have some to do with marketing, but I still think it is a sound football decision as well.
I agree. A Franchise QB is worth even more than what the Rams gave up. But if they do pick the right QB, look out for them in a couple of years.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Like taking all your savings, and investing in the lottery for retirment... Im sorry but this trade is crazy!

I completely agree that a real franchise QB is worth a move like this. And the only rookie QB i wouldve considered for something like this is Luck. Who was touted as the #1 a year before he left school, and called a once a generation prospect....Or for an established young star QB...
But Wentz and Goff? Nobody even knows who is #1. Most mocks had Tunsil picked first. I seen Ramsey 1st too. Either way, these QBs are not as good as most #1 overall QBs IMO. Based solely on this theory...

You also added 3 franchises failed in 30 years... And the GM decides to go all in the very first hand dealt??? I mean? Are they going for 4?

Here is how I see this going..... See Brown franchise record the last 5 years... If you consider the two1st ,two high 2nds, and two 3rds are all or nothing. You MIGHT get a good franchise qb? You might draft brady quinn, brandon weeden, and johan manziel, all at once if this rookie somehow doesnt handle the nfl, la, becoming a multi millionaire in the land of big pimpin'... All at once. Lol

This reminds me of herschel walker and the ricky williams trades... Truely amazing rbs in a running league. Even those didnt work out...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like taking all your savings, and investing in the lottery for retirment... Im sorry but this trade is crazy!

I completely agree that a real franchise QB is worth a move like this. And the only rookie QB i wouldve considered for something like this is Luck. Who was touted as the #1 a year before he left school, and called a once a generation prospect....Or for an established young star QB...
But Wentz and Goff? Nobody even knows who is #1. Most mocks had Tunsil picked first. I seen Ramsey 1st too. Either way, these QBs are not as good as most #1 overall QBs IMO. Based solely on this theory...

You also added 3 franchises failed in 30 years... And the GM decides to go all in the very first hand dealt??? I mean? Are they going for 4?

Here is how I see this going..... See Brown franchise record the last 5 years... If you consider the two1st ,two high 2nds, and two 3rds are all or nothing. You MIGHT get a good franchise qb? You might draft brady quinn, brandon weeden, and johan manziel, all at once if this rookie somehow doesnt handle the nfl, la, becoming a multi millionaire in the land of big pimpin'... All at once. Lol

This reminds me of herschel walker and the ricky williams trades... Truely amazing rbs in a running league. Even those didnt work out...
First of all, I think Wentz is going to be very good. I understand more GMs are saying Goff 'is the pick to trade up for', but what do I know? QB, like no other position, can make or break a team. I know there are examples to the contrary, but the obvious fact is that a quality QB improves your team like no other position. Is there risk involved? Of course. But it isn't as great as you think. Some QBs have failed, like Carr, mostly because he went to a very bad team in the Texans and got beat to a pulp before he fully developed. The Rams have a very good defense and a great RB to help take pressure off. Wish they had a better line - there is some talent there, but they are young. Some young QBs fail because they don't care - like Jamarcus Russell. Took the $45M and started to enjoy life at the expense of working out or studying. I don't see that in either Wentz or Goff.

I think both of these guys will be at a minimum serviceable Eli Manning/Rothlesberger types. Good enough to win a superbowl with but not necessarily elite Rodgers/Newton carry the team level. I like Wentz because by all reports he is an all around good guy who is very focused on football.

Besides, none of the picks you traded away were guaranteed either. If you look at statistics, you only hit on half of your picks in the 2nd round? So they traded away 2 or 3 good players at a 50-50 shot at a franchise QB. Seems like a good risk to me.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Besides, none of the picks you traded away were guaranteed either. If you look at statistics, you only hit on half of your picks in the 2nd round? So they traded away 2 or 3 good players at a 50-50 shot at a franchise QB. Seems like a good risk to me.

I agree with most of what you said, the one part of the trade that would be sticking in my craw if I was a Rams fan is the 2017 #1. That could potentially be a huge pick. Rookie QB for Rams, an injury or two and Titans may be sitting with a very high pick next year courtesy of the Rams. I don't mind bartering away known picks, but that 2017 #1 IMO would have been a deal breaker if I am a Ram fan. Who knows, maybe they put terms on it, but I didn't see that in anything I read. The Rams are a pretty decent team on paper and maybe feel they only are a good QB away from contention, but I doubt its a Rookie QB that has them finishing in the top 1/2 of the league next year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most of what you said, the one part of the trade that would be sticking in my craw if I was a Rams fan is the 2017 #1. That could potentially be a huge pick. Rookie QB for Rams, an injury or two and Titans may be sitting with a very high pick next year courtesy of the Rams. I don't mind bartering away known picks, but that 2017 #1 IMO would have been a deal breaker if I am a Ram fan. Who knows, maybe they put terms on it, but I didn't see that in anything I read. The Rams are a pretty decent team on paper and maybe feel they only are a good QB away from contention, but I doubt its a Rookie QB that has them finishing in the top 1/2 of the league next year.
They have a stout defense and an offense that can rely primarily on a great RB. Even if the passing offense is vanilla, they should be okay. Remember this is a team that finished in the middle of the pack last season with marginal QB play. They should be better even if only slightly.

Members online

Latest posts