TN-LA Trade Impact (if any)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
They have a stout defense and an offense that can rely primarily on a great RB. Even if the passing offense is vanilla, they should be okay. Remember this is a team that finished in the middle of the pack last season with marginal QB play. They should be better even if only slightly.
Not so sure that Goff or Wentz is going to make a big difference in year 1. It's still a steep price (#1 in 2017) to pay IMO. What it ends up costing them, we won't know until the end of the 2016 season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt about it, they took a big gamble. Too much for my blood. I'd much rather be the Titans in this instance, but it certainly will add some excitement heading into the draft and NFL season. Gives us something to talk about anyway.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the first round works out that way with Floyd, Ragland, Billings and Reed gone the Packers should either try to trade back or select Corey Coleman.

BTW I agree this trade doesn't affect the Packers at all.

I'm with you bro. If Corey Coleman is sitting there at 27, its going to be REALLLLL hard to pass on him (depending who else is on the board too of course, as you said) - Coleman would give us a true speed demon opposite Jordy.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/04/nfl_draft_rumors_jets_reportedly_made_serious_offe.html

This convinces me that this trade seriously does effect our draft. Goff and Wentz could go #1 and #2 respectively. So that leaves a foot race for Lynch. With that being said, that pushes picks like Ramsey, Jack, Bosa, Buckner, and Eliott get pushed back to teams that may not have had a chance in hell to pick them beforehand. I have the 49ers, Bills, Jets, and Chiefs possibly trying to jump to get Lynch.

And speaking of Jack(and Smith)....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...nfirm-concern-for-myles-jack-and-jaylon-smith

D

Deleted member 6794

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/04/nfl_draft_rumors_jets_reportedly_made_serious_offe.html

This convinces me that this trade seriously does effect our draft. Goff and Wentz could go #1 and #2 respectively. So that leaves a foot race for Lynch. With that being said, that pushes picks like Ramsey, Jack, Bosa, Buckner, and Eliott get pushed back to teams that may not have had a chance in hell to pick them beforehand. I have the 49ers, Bills, Jets, and Chiefs possibly trying to jump to get Lynch.

Why should it affect the Packers draft in any way??? The same 26 teams will still select in the first round before the Packers do.

I don't see the Chiefs and Bills picking a QB in the first round.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, the number stays the same but trades affect WHO is chosen and WHEN. Before this trade you had probably one QB selected in the Top 5, and then 2 more possibly selected outside of the Top 20 maybe even falling to the 2nd Round. Now that you have a scenario where 2/3 potential 1st Round QBs are now gone in the Top 5, that last QB's value now goes up. And like I said that means 2 players who previously were probably considered locks for the Top 5 are now Top 10 picks, maybe even Top 15 depending on the team. That pushes some considerable talent down. Which means anywhere from 2-4 players that TT would love to have but probably thought he'd never have a serious chance at; such as Lee, Ragland, Ogbah, Dodd, and Lawson are now potentially available at #27 Overall.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, the number stays the same but trades affect WHO is chosen and WHEN. Before this trade you had probably one QB selected in the Top 5, and then 2 more possibly selected outside of the Top 20 maybe even falling to the 2nd Round. Now that you have a scenario where 2/3 potential 1st Round QBs are now gone in the Top 5, that last QB's value now goes up. And like I said that means 2 players who previously were probably considered locks for the Top 5 are now Top 10 picks, maybe even Top 15 depending on the team. That pushes some considerable talent down. Which means anywhere from 2-4 players that TT would love to have but probably thought he'd never have a serious chance at; such as Lee, Ragland, Ogbah, Dodd, and Lawson are now potentially available at #27 Overall.

I'm sorry but there's no way that several players drop 2-4 spots because of two teams that would have picked ahead of the Packers anyway swapped their first rounders.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I think your logic is flawed. Just because a player is highly rated doesn't mean a GM is going to pick them regardless of need. If that's the case the Giants would draft Bosa if he were still available right?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I think your logic is flawed. Just because a player is highly rated doesn't mean a GM is going to pick them regardless of need. If that's the case the Giants would draft Bosa if he were still available right?

Only way I see the Ram-Titan trade effecting teams after the #15 pick is if it creates a sudden "arms race" for teams who want either Lynch or Cook. A team like Denver, who pick after the Packers, might try to trade down with a team who would have otherwise had someone the Packers wanted on their board. Pick swaps can have a total ripple effect, but seriously doubt just a swap of the #1 and #15 alone will create much of a ripple up to #27.

H

HardRightEdge

Big news in the NFL today with the Tennessee-LA trade for the #1 pick. Wow, bet you never see that kind of deal from TT unless he's the guy getting all the picks. Anyway, the obvious question here is, does this trade have an impact on players available to the Packers at #27 with 2QB's now likely going in picks 1 and 2? With Tunsil now no longer an option at #1, how does this play out down the line? Does another QB sneak in earlier than expected or does that #3 drop to Rd 2? Does that eat up another DL option for the packers or leave them with perhaps a higher option at OT than expected?

Your thoughts folks?
It's was a crap shoot to start with at #27. It still is.

H

HardRightEdge

According to the Jimmy Johnson draft value chart:

TEN gave up the #1 pick (3,000) + #113 (68) + #177 (21) = 3,089 points

STL gave up 2016 picks at #15 (1,050) + #43 (470) + #45 (450) + #76 (210) = 2,180 points

In addition, TEN will also receive STL's 1st. and 2nd. round picks next season. If we assume STL finishes in 2016 where they did in 2015. TEN will receive 2016's #15 (1,050) + #76 (210) = 1,260 points

TEN's 2016/2017 total = 2,180 + 1,260 = 3,440 points.

By this method, the difference is 351 points in TEN's favor, which equates approximately to a #55 pick. That's fairly close considering the 2017 picks have to be discounted because TEN has to wait for them.

Jerry Jones compared this trade to the Herschel Walker trade. C'mon man. They were using your boy's chart!

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

So I was trying to find a mock draft before the trade today, just to see where people were shifting predictions. I ran across this one. Granted its from Forbes Magazine.....but does the guy follow the Packers at all? Look at his projected pick at #27.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...nd-two-weeks-before-the-draft/4/#b19ce8c5770f
The Packers lost 2 CBs to free agency last season and took CBs in the first and second rounds.
The Packers lost 1 CB to free agency this year.
Ergo, the Packers will take a CB in the first round.

That's as deep as this thinking goes, and it's not the only mock I've seen where it was a CB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Jerry Jones compared this trade to the Herschel Walker trade. C'mon man. They were using your boy's chart!

:laugh: Since I couldn't give you both an "informative" and a "funny" rating with one post

Despite the "Jimmy Math" almost working out, I still wouldn't be happy with the trade if I was a Rams fan. Odds of hitting on 6 picks (Titans) over 3 picks (Rams), favors the Titans IMO. Especially, when the Titans are using those 2 picks in 2017 for a #5 and a #37 :D

Last edited:

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why should it affect the Packers draft in any way??? The same 26 teams will still select in the first round before the Packers do.

I don't see the Chiefs and Bills picking a QB in the first round.

FWIW NFL Network was discussing teams that could trade up for Paxton Lynch and a
Bills' beat writer mentioned that the team has been trying to extend QB Tyrod Taylor
but he may prove too costly and Lynch maybe an option.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers lost 2 CBs to free agency last season and took CBs in the first and second rounds.
The Packers lost 1 CB to free agency this year.
Ergo, the Packers will take a CB in the first round.

That's as deep as this thinking goes, and it's not the only mock I've seen where it was a CB.

I'm surprised he didn't have us picking a QB at #27 with that kind of logic, I mean with the loss of Tolzien!

What he didn't seem to consider was the Packers seemed to have hit on potential starters with both picks last year, as well as a decent prospect in Gunther as an UDFA and already had Shields. I will take that young upcoming group over Williams, House and Heyward any day.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

What he didn't seem to consider was the Packers seemed to have hit on potential starters with both picks last year, as well as a decent prospect in Gunther as an UDFA and have Shields. I will take that group over Williams, House and Heyward any day.
Not only are 6 of the top 7 DBs from last season returning for 2016, 5 of those 6 are signed through 2017, including both starting perimeter corners, both safeties, and Rollins the presumptive nickel corner once Hyde departs in FA after this season. Rollins might put Hyde on the bench anyway this season.

It's hard to imagine a position group in less need of a 1st. round pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

:laugh: Since I couldn't give you both and "informative" and a "funny" rating with one post.
Thanks for the 2-fer, even if you can't award it. I'll be contacting the mods asking for a "that was a winning post that I liked, both informative and funny" emogi. :tup:
Despite the "Jimmy Math" almost working out, I still wouldn't be happy with the trade if I was a Rams fan. Odds of hitting on 6 picks (Titans) over 3 picks (Rams), favors the Titans IMO. Especially, when the Titans are using those 2 picks in 2017 for a #5 and a #37 :D
I can imagine how the trade negotiation went. I hear the Rams badmouthing themselves...new town, rookie QB, cutting a bunch of vets..."we're more than a year away". I hear TEN saying, "you'll have your QB, those vets were old, and the new locale will energize your franchise." ;)

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can imagine how the trade negotiation went. I hear the Rams badmouthing themselves...new town, rookie QB, cutting a bunch of vets..."we're more than a year away". I hear TEN saying, "you'll have your QB, those vets were old, and the new locale will energize your franchise." ;)[/QUOTE]

Energize. lol Those poor Rams fans... they are like YEAAAAAAY!!!!!!! AWWWWWWWWW!!!!!! and the sadness lasts 10 years.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's hard to imagine a position group in less in need of a 1st. round pick.

Agreed, I think even most of us hacks said that months ago. Besides QB, the secondary is the least of our worries. Of course all that could go up in smoke with news of Randall, Shields, Rollins and Hyde all getting pulled over driving 90 MPH with a lit joint, a bag of cash, guns and 200 lbs of weed and Morgan Burnett riding shotgun in the trunk.

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only way I see the Ram-Titan trade effecting teams after the #15 pick is if it creates a sudden "arms race" for teams who want either Lynch or Cook. A team like Denver, who pick after the Packers, might try to trade down with a team who would have otherwise had someone the Packers wanted on their board. Pick swaps can have a total ripple effect, but seriously doubt just a swap of the #1 and #15 alone will create much of a ripple up to #27.

I'll accept that. But I'm telling you, teams are going to bumrush Lynch. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!!!

As a matter of fact I'm going to keep an eye out for potential Lynch visits, I bet somewhere in the area of 2-4 teams give Lynch a private workout, because now they might have to pull the trigger on him instead of maybe Goff or Wentz sliding into the Top 15.

Not to mention what do you think that does to the value of Cardale Jones, Christian Hackenberg, and Connor Cook?

I have Lynch going to the Bills or Jets at #19 and #20 respectively. If not the Chiefs at #28(the Chiefs have met with Lynch multiple times since the combine). Now obviously the Chiefs at #28 does nothing for us.....until the 2nd Round that is, but more on that later.

Based on my board if the Bills or Jets take Lynch, then I'm thinking Darron Lee, Reggie Ragland, Emmanuel Ogbah, Kevin Dodd, Shaq Lawson, Kenny Clark, and Jarran Reed/A'Shawn Robinson will be available at #27. (Not all of them obviously, but I'm thinking 3 out of the proposed 8.) Obviously I'm hoping for Ragland.

Now here's where it gets interesting, the only Broncos QB worth mentioning right now is Mark Sanchez; and with how hard Elway tried to trade for Kaepernick he obviously wasn't happy going into the Pre-Season with him as the #1. It's been said he really liked Dak Prescott, who is slated to go in the 3rd, but can Elway afford to wait that long?

The Broncos pick at the bottom of every round until the 5th. Jones, Hackenberg, and Cook, will all be gone by #63. So either they trade out of the 1st to grab Prescott in the mid to late 2nd Round or they reach for Jones at #31. Either way that probably leaves an extra DL/LB who should have been gone already by the time we're back on the clock.

PIPE DREAM - TT trades #57, #88, #121, and #127 for #31 and drafts what's left of possibly Ogbah, Reed/Robinson, Butler, and Bullard and then we sit tight until we pick again at #122.

D

Deleted member 6794

That has absolutely nothing to do with the Rams/Titans trade affecting which players will be left on the board at #27. Smart general managers select the player presenting the best value with position of need factoring into the decision.

FWIW NFL Network was discussing teams that could trade up for Paxton Lynch and a
Bills' beat writer mentioned that the team has been trying to extend QB Tyrod Taylor
but he may prove too costly and Lynch maybe an option.

While it's possible the Bills will draft a QB in the first round the Rams/Titans trade has no influence on that decision either.

I'll accept that. But I'm telling you, teams are going to bumrush Lynch. YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!!!

Not to mention what do you think that does to the value of Cardale Jones, Christian Hackenberg, and Connor Cook?

It's nothing new that teams reach for a quarterback. Aside of Goff and Wentz there isn't any other prospect worthy of a first round available in this year's draft though.

I have Lynch going to the Bills or Jets at #19 and #20 respectively. If not the Chiefs at #28(the Chiefs have met with Lynch multiple times since the combine). Now obviously the Chiefs at #28 does nothing for us.....until the 2nd Round that is, but more on that later.

Based on my board if the Bills or Jets take Lynch, then I'm thinking Darron Lee, Reggie Ragland, Emmanuel Ogbah, Kevin Dodd, Shaq Lawson, Kenny Clark, and Jarran Reed/A'Shawn Robinson will be available at #27. (Not all of them obviously, but I'm thinking 3 out of the proposed 8.) Obviously I'm hoping for Ragland.

You still haven't provided a reasonable explanation as to why three or even more players drop to the Packers spot because of one team selecting a QB.

Jones, Hackenberg, and Cook, will all be gone by #63.

I would be surprised if Cook is gone by #63 and shocked if either Jones or Hackenberg have already been drafted at that point.

TT trades #57, #88, #121, and #127 for #31 and drafts what's left of possibly Ogbah, Reed/Robinson, Butler, and Bullard and then we sit tight until we pick again at #122.

First of all it will be pretty tough for Thompson to trade the 121st and 127th pick as those belong to the Vikings and Bears respectively. I guess you're talking about the Packers compensatory picks in the fourth round (#131 and #137) which can't be traded though.

In addition none of the guys you mentioned are worthy of trading away four picks to move up into the first round again.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
PIPE DREAM - TT trades #57, #88, #121, and #127 for #31 and drafts what's left of possibly Ogbah, Reed/Robinson, Butler, and Bullard and then we sit tight until we pick again at #122.
Put down the pipe son and slowly back away. On a draft and develop team that may need to rebuild its OL, DL, and OLB positions over the next 2 seasons should dump its 2,3,and fourth round picks to get one of several players. That tells me right there that ain't any of them very special. I'll gloss over the non tradeable comp picks and your (hopefully) typos for now.

H

HardRightEdge

Agreed, I think even most of us hacks said that months ago. Besides QB, the secondary is the least of their worries. Of course all that could go up in smoke with news of Randall, Shields, Rollins and Hyde all getting pulled over driving 90 MPH with a lit joint, a bag of cash, guns and 200 lbs of weed and Morgan Burnett riding shotgun in the trunk.
...while Clinton-Dix is at home knitting, so it would not be all bad.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This trade has zero impact on us at 27. As I said before, it only impacts picks 1-10 (1-15 at most). If a team trades up to select Lynch now, then that means they were selecting Lynch (or a QB in general) before this trade even happened. This doesn't mean players like Bosa, Jack or someone falls to pick #27, LOL. The same players that were likely going to be there at 27, will still be there at 27 after this trade.