Titans game Duds and Duds

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How the hell does RR get more snaps than Montgomery and Cobb!!! Every time I see that scrub run out there in the 4 wr set instead of a guy who can actually separate it makes me hate this offense even more. He's flanked out as a wr against a corner. He may be biggger but he's slow and doesn't break tackles. Use a real Wr!!

Also our route combinations are terrible. No wonder why guys ain't open.

My favorite alignment was when they shifted Starks out of the backfield to play outside WR. Pure genius! No way Montgomery could have played WR better than Starks....

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Oh come on. It isn't just your oline and you know it. They have were brutal at tackle going into the year and addressed it with an aging declining guy in Smith. Their defense now looking average after the bears worked them, the redskins moved the ball whenever necessary and the Lions did at the end of the game. The Vikings are not dominating turnovers anymore so they are losing games.

The Packers are garbage right now but the Vikings are not any better. The Vikings could be 5-7 soon with Arizona Detroit and Dallas coming up
Yup. Losing two left tackles, the right tackles and having the line not be same for two games in a row isn't having any effect on the run game at all. Of the Starting tackles from last year, one retired, one is on IR. Of those starting this year, we are now going with the third one going to IR. Our starting left guard will most likely move over to tackle and a 2nd year undrafted lineman will most likely take his spot. But, yeah, the o-line isn't the problem.

BTW, if you didn't notice, the Skins didn't score a TD after the 1st quarter.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My favorite alignment was when they shifted Starks out of the backfield to play outside WR. Pure genius! No way Montgomery could have played WR better than Starks....
Stark's actually looked pretty good out there, what's the issue? His TD pass was as good as anything you could expect. And I imagine he offers a bit better pass protection option if need be over Monty. Rodgers can keep him in or send him out depending on what he sees.

Regardless, for his first game back, he was better than I expected

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What stood out to me was this:
Most likely, the answer lies somewhere in between those two extremes. However, that won't stop the skeptics from suggesting that Rodgers has slipped from the ranks of the league's elite quarterbacks (as the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn did last month) and that McCarthy could or should be fired if the Pack's downward trajectory continues this season.

"I'm gonna disagree with all of that," Bulaga said. "That's just noise from the outside coming in here. I don't think there's anybody better than Aaron, to be honest with you. And the coaches put us in great position to make plays every single week."
I dunno how to take that.
Either take it as it is because Brian is a player and has more access to the inner workings or else Brian is doesn't mean it but is just saying that because they are both on the same team.
You ever notice how coaches and players don't play the blame game no matter how bad the team is doing?
They are always saying, "It's all on me/us." instead of pointing fingers.
Or what if Brian is wrong? This is his first team. So how does he know that the coaches are really putting them in the place to make great plays every week?
Perhaps there could be something better from the coaches and he doesn't realize what that could be. He is just doing what they tell him.
In any case, I'm not buying any excuses as long as the Pack keeps on losing. If they do, then yeah, it's time for McMoron's exit and other coaching changes.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. Losing two left tackles, the right tackles and having the line not be same for two games in a row isn't having any effect on the run game at all. Of the Starting tackles from last year, one retired, one is on IR. Of those starting this year, we are now going with the third one going to IR. Our starting left guard will most likely move over to tackle and a 2nd year undrafted lineman will most likely take his spot. But, yeah, the o-line isn't the problem.

BTW, if you didn't notice, the Skins didn't score a TD after the 1st quarter.

Didn't say your oline wasn't a problem just that it isn't your only problem. With healthy tackles and ap you weren't able to run the ball at all. Nothing changed there. Sure the injuries have hurt bad that oline was already bad. Now it is really bad. Kahlil isn't good. Smith isn't good. Long was terrible.

The skins may not have scored a td after the first quarter but they scored 4 times in the second half and scored when they needed to. The Vikings only scored 1 of 4 quarters.

The oline is an easy scapegoat. So is the kicker but the defense has given up 22 points per game over the past 4 games against 3 offenses ranked in the bottom half of scoring offenses. They have become a good not great defense who isn't getting a lot of turnovers. Look at the last three games. Chicago ran over them. The Lions scored twice late when they needed it. The redskins scored on their last 4 drives when needed. Don't get me wrong I wish I had the vikings defense but it isn't elite right now. You can blame the oline but the last three weeks the defense got beat up by one of the worst offenses in football and blew 2 2nd half leads

They have no running game. They are not returning kicks for tds. They can pass for yardage some games but don't scare you. With a not elite defense that will lose you games. You can say it is just injuries on the oline just like Packer fans can say it is just injuries at cb but that would be short sighted

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stark's actually looked pretty good out there, what's the issue? His TD pass was as good as anything you could expect. And I imagine he offers a bit better pass protection option if need be over Monty. Rodgers can keep him in or send him out depending on what he sees.

Regardless, for his first game back, he was better than I expected

The issue is that McCarthy actually stumbled across a pretty good offensive piece in the Bears game when they used Montgomery. Yet, somehow, when the Packers need to play a pass heavy game to catch up, McCarthy decides that James Starks and Richard Rodgers are the guys that need to be on the field. Starks can only catch the ball on screen passes and then only gets what's blocked for him, so no, Starks' three catches for eleven yards were pretty bad considering the situation the team was in.

You really think James Starks playing outside wide receiver is scary to a defense? My issue isn't that Starks was playing, it's that Montgomery basically didn't play at all and, when McCarthy was forced to innovate against the bears, Montgomery looked like one of the Packers best offensive weapons. Seems ridiculous to ignore that in favor of a decent RB that will get the team nothing special on offense.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The issue is that McCarthy actually stumbled across a pretty good offensive piece in the Bears game when they used Montgomery. Yet, somehow, when the Packers need to play a pass heavy game to catch up, McCarthy decides that James Starks and Richard Rodgers are the guys that need to be on the field. Starks can only catch the ball on screen passes and then only gets what's blocked for him, so no, Starks' three catches for eleven yards were pretty bad considering the situation the team was in.

You really think James Starks playing outside wide receiver is scary to a defense? My issue isn't that Starks was playing, it's that Montgomery basically didn't play at all and, when McCarthy was forced to innovate against the bears, Montgomery looked like one of the Packers best offensive weapons. Seems ridiculous to ignore that in favor of a decent RB that will get the team nothing special on offense.

Not only this. He's to blind to see his offense is played out as well. He calls plays that put the WRs in position to have to win one on one every down ...vs drawing up something that's designed to get them open. Their most productive offense is Rodgers scrambling around waiting for guys to uncover.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And again,is it stubbornness,pride,or just plain arrogance? He trots Starks and RR out there over Monty and possibly Allison. You could put Allison outside and put Jordy in a quasi TE position like last week. I saw on X's and O's and somewhere else where they aligned Jordy similar to a TE and he was a target in the middle of the field and made it easier in the outside receivers. There again,something new works and MM goes away from as if he is trying to prove his old plays work just as good or better. I swear after his press conference today he has p***ed me off. End rant:)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Running backs offer all sorts of benefits being on the field. Stark's had a decent game all things considered. I don't know the situations he was on the field, all I know is, he was effective and his TD run was as good as you could have expected from anyone.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Running backs offer all sorts of benefits being on the field. Stark's had a decent game all things considered. I don't know the situations he was on the field, all I know is, he was effective and his TD run was as good as you could have expected from anyone.

I'm not againstt running backs, it's just that non-elite RBs like Starks don't make the defense think, just keep a linebacker in and assigned to Starks. A guy like Montgomery, on the other hand, forces the defense to make sacrifices; do you take a linebacker out and put in a corner? If so, packers have the advantage in running, if the defense leaves in a linebacker then you can motion Montgomery out and force the defense to show Rodgers what they're playing.

Starks is a decent player but he doesn't do anything special for the offense. Montgomery opens up a ton of offensive options for the team that Starks just can't replicate. Luckily for Starks, McCarthy is uncomfortable with change.

D

Deleted member 6794

This draft is stocked with good corners, but I think it would be awesome to draft one high and then sign someone like Haden. Won't happen, but it'd be nice.

Haden is under contract with the Browns through the 2019 season meaning the Packers would have to trade for him.

How the hell does RR get more snaps than Montgomery and Cobb!!! Every time I see that scrub run out there in the 4 wr set instead of a guy who can actually separate it makes me hate this offense even more. He's flanked out as a wr against a corner. He may be biggger but he's slow and doesn't break tackles. Use a real Wr!!

Last season Rodgers at least had sure hands catching the ball. Unfortunately he has started to drop easy completions this year as well.

Their most productive offense is Rodgers scrambling around waiting for guys to uncover.

Actually the Packers offense has been most successful with Rodgers getting into a rhythm by throwing short to intermediate passes in under three seconds.

And again,is it stubbornness,pride,or just plain arrogance? He trots Starks and RR out there over Monty and possibly Allison. You could put Allison outside and put Jordy in a quasi TE position like last week. I saw on X's and O's and somewhere else where they aligned Jordy similar to a TE and he was a target in the middle of the field and made it easier in the outside receivers.

Interestingly Nelson led all receivers on yards per route run out of the slot entering week 10. Maybe the Packers should use him there nore often like the Cardinals have done with Fitzgerald over the past 1 1/2 years.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not againstt running backs, it's just that non-elite RBs like Starks don't make the defense think, just keep a linebacker in and assigned to Starks. A guy like Montgomery, on the other hand, forces the defense to make sacrifices; do you take a linebacker out and put in a corner? If so, packers have the advantage in running, if the defense leaves in a linebacker then you can motion Montgomery out and force the defense to show Rodgers what they're playing.

Starks is a decent player but he doesn't do anything special for the offense. Montgomery opens up a ton of offensive options for the team that Starks just can't replicate. Luckily for Starks, McCarthy is uncomfortable with change.
He doesn't have to scare them, but with a starting guard out and turnstile Barclay in, and then losing a starting LT who is very good at pass protection, Starks most definitely keeps them from licking their chops and killing Aaron Rodgers. Add in the fact he was pretty effective that game, I find it hard to take issue with him being out there.

I like Montgomery out of the backfield, I like him lined up all over, but as usual, poor passes by Rodgers at bad times, bad drops receivers at bad times and no defense for a half of football makes it tough to win.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's why I was saying it's not likely to happen. Would be nice to not have to worry about our secondary though.

I was just mentioning that the Packers can't sign Haden as he's under contract for three more seasons but would most likeky have to give up an early draft pick to acquire him.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just mentioning that the Packers can't sign Haden as he's under contract for three more seasons but would most likeky have to give up an early draft pick to acquire him.

And?? So give one up then. They will likely have to take a corner as soon as 1st or 2nd rd anyways. Especially if Shields is released or decides to hang up his jersey. Sadly The Packers don't have a single cb on the roster who can play man to man besides Shields. Randle isn't the #1 corner of the future as well. I honestly think he'd be better suited at FS and slide Haha to strong. We can do without Burnett. He hasn't been that good since his rookie season and he stays hurt.

D

Deleted member 6794

And?? So give one up then. They will likely have to take a corner as soon as 1st or 2nd rd anyways. Especially if Shields is released or decides to hang up his jersey. Sadly The Packers don't have a single cb on the roster who can play man to man besides Shields. Randle isn't the #1 corner of the future as well. I honestly think he'd be better suited at FS and slide Haha to strong. We can do without Burnett. He hasn't been that good since his rookie season and he stays hurt.

I agree the Packers are in need of a #1 cornerback with Shields likely to be done. I would rather address the position either via free agency or an early draft pick than to trade for one though.

It's a distinct possibility Randall is better suited to line up at free safety making Burnett expendable.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry and Jones are both set to become free agents next offseason. There's no reason for the Browns to trade for either of them.

No reason for them to trade for Collins who is going to be a free agent as well, but they did. This way they get their 3rd back and a good defensive talent.

D

Deleted member 6794

No reason for them to trade for Collins who is going to be a free agent as well, but they did.

They can't trade for a player right now because the league's trade deadline has passed though. It for sure doesn't make any sense to do it after the season once they could sign either of them as free agents if the Packers decide to part ways.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They can't trade for a player right now because the league's trade deadline has passed though. It for sure doesn't make any sense to do it after the season once they could sign either of them as free agents if the Packers decide to part ways.

Crap, I forgot the deadline passed. I don't pay attention to that date because we are never involved lol

Sky King

Reaction score
And again,is it stubbornness,pride,or just plain arrogance? He trots Starks and RR out there over Monty and possibly Allison. You could put Allison outside and put Jordy in a quasi TE position like last week. I saw on X's and O's and somewhere else where they aligned Jordy similar to a TE and he was a target in the middle of the field and made it easier in the outside receivers. There again,something new works and MM goes away from as if he is trying to prove his old plays work just as good or better. I swear after his press conference today he has p***ed me off. End rant:)
It's as though everything he calls (that works) should only serve the purpose of setting-up those core plays that he would prefer to run. His stubbornness will be his undoing, if it hasn't done that already.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
To bad it's to late for any type of trade. Stuck with undrafted free agents running around in the secondary.

Don't forget about the quality free agents still available and poaching of PS players from other teams.......there is still time to build a Super Bowl team! :tup:

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts