1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Timing of Williams Trade

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by wils0646, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Fan4Life

Fan4Life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Jason Taylor was DPOY in 2006. He wants a shot at a SB... and knows it ain't gonna happen in MIA.

Pulling off this trade would be a tremendous coup for TT - equivalent, IMHO, to Wolf signing Reggie White.

Probably too good to be true..

2. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know his injury history?

I know he was DPOY along with being a pro bowler last year, ('06-'07) can anyone tell me if he was in PB this most recent season?

That says 2nd + 4th to me.....

3. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I'll go for that!

Bring him in.

4. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Faneca's too good for "visits" this offseason. He is said to be declining all offers for meetings with interested teams, looking only for the highest dollar contract.

Sounds like a guy who's motivated by the payday, and do we really want or need someone like that in GB? I'll pass, thanks.

5. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I'll be the first person this year to say it. Or, Joe Johnson.

6. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry Bozz - I too lost Faneca fever when he refused to visit anyone.

7. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Packone refer yourself to the banned thread in the Attrium... :lol:

Never mention that name again.. :p

8. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Guess I should hit the Atrium more often. My narcissism is saying yummy.

EDIT: Although, many seem to think the Tuna will take Chris Long DE in this years draft. Then it may make sense.

9. Fan4Life

Fan4Life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Jason Taylor is NOTHING like Joe Johnson. He's a bonafide "super star" who, at 34, finds himself on a rebuilding team with a new GM ready to change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense.

Did anyone catch that the 'fins just inked a deal with Calvin Pace? That might be a signal that JT is moving on...

10. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd take Taylor over Corey Williams any day considering the depth the Packers have at DT and the lack of a pass rush to compliment Aaron Kampman.

I to agree it's unlikely. I also doubt that some rumor posted on a blog is true but for the record, I'd give a 2nd for jason Taylor. Just putting it out there. If someone else can then I will too. :D

11. Gattocheese

Gattocheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Didnt they use Jason Taylor as a small LB in some sets as well?

12. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +645
    yeah, he dropped into coverage in some schemes. i wouldn't think twice about giving up a 3rd rounder for him, if there were lots of offers for him, i wouldn't be mad if ted gave them a round 2 pick

13. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    Jason Taylor was cut by Miami, and Signed by Dallas he ain't coming.

As for Faneca, I don't want him. He's too old, and was part of a Steeler O-Line that gave up 47 sacks last year. We can do better in the draft at Guard believe me.

14. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +645
    Taylor signed with Dallas? linky?

15. BryanAschenbrenner

BryanAschenbrenner Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe you are thinking of Thomas.

16. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +645
    that was more excitement than i'm used to at 7:30 on a saturday morning!

17. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    Doh! You're right, I was thinking of Zach Thomas. Good grief what's wrong with me LOL. Thank you for catching that.

18. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You just never know.
    Most likely they did the deal now because all three sides reached an agreement. (Keep in mind that Cleveland would not have made the deal if they were not sure that they could get Corey to agree to a long term deal.
    If they wait until DRAFT DAY!!!! that would not have left the Browns enough time to work things out with Corey. Plus the fact that Corey not knowing about the potential trade may well have rejected GB's franchise offer.
    The sooner tis was done the better it was for everyone. If TT uses his extra cap room to pick up someone else that is just a bonus.

19. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    I don't think players can reject the Franchise tag. But certain types of Free Agents can be signed away if they offer a high enough salary + Draft picks.

20. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +645
    compensation for a franchise player is 2 first round picks... has that ever even happened before?

21. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    I think that's only if its the Exclusive Franchise tag, like what the Raiders did with their Corner, I don't think Williams got that sort of tag, and I'm betting the trade was initiated by Green Bay, so we lose a bit in that situation. Yes it has happened before can't remember the last time it happened though.

22. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the compensation is also 2 first round picks for the non exclusive version of the tag that so many players got this year...

Browns GM Phil Savage mentioned that without doing the trade for their second round pick, the Browns would've had to give up two first round picks to land Williams.

23. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +645
    no, the non-exclusive franchise tag simply means that the player is allowed to "shop himself" to other teams, get an offer sheet, and allow his current team to match it. if the current team does not match it, the other team must give 2 first rounders as compensation.

Exclusive rights franchise players can not shop themselves and cannot sign offer sheets. essentially, the 2 first round picks deal is only for non-exclusive franchise players.

Also, Cleveland's paper reported that Cleveland approached GB about obtaining Corey in a trade. GB did not approach them.

24. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    Ah that makes more sense then, Thanks for the clarification.