Timid Coaching Staff

dmoss

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope last year was a learning experience for the coaching staff. They pretty much gave our friends in Minnesota the two victories by not letting our powerful defense play ball. The Pittsburg game the same thing. What is with a 3 man rush and letting veteran quarterbacks have all day to find an open receiver??? It makes our defense that has worked hard to not letting completions all day look bad. If you give an anyone at any level all day he will complete passes. How many years will we have an opportunity to have a powerful offense and defense but allow other teams to walk down the field 10 and fifteen yards a play because being afraid to give up a long play. Do they make a habit of giving up long plays? Had Pittsburg made a big play maybe we would have at least had time left on the clock for a possible come back. Let the defense do what they are being paid to do. And they are doing it well!! We had the chance to be in the super bowl last year and I hope to again this year. Besides that tell me one game we have won using a cautious offense and a prevent defense that we have won?? But how many have we lost?? We need a coaching staff with a killer instinct no lead is enough until the clock has expired. Vincent Thomas Lombardi coached to win. Remember Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing. If the defense has not allowed the other team to score with their normal defense don’t change it. Why try to fix something that’s not broke. Let the offense continue to score no matter what the score is and let the defense play their game no matter what the score and we will win.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
"Powerfull Defense" .... ???

What team were you watching last season ? ... - Couldn't have been the Packers ... The defense last season was not "Powerfull" ... - Better than what many people said it was ... however very FAR away from being "Powerfull" ...

OP
OP
D

dmoss

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typical reply from a Minnesota fan. But when they let the defense play the second half they sure shut down the Vikings last year!! What defense was you watching?? They are as fine a defense in the NFL as it gets. There is not another team in the NFL that wouldn’t want to have them.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I hope last year was a learning experience for the coaching staff. They pretty much gave our friends in Minnesota the two victories by not letting our powerful defense play ball. The Pittsburg game the same thing. What is with a 3 man rush and letting veteran quarterbacks have all day to find an open receiver??? It makes our defense that has worked hard to not letting completions all day look bad. If you give an anyone at any level all day he will complete passes. How many years will we have an opportunity to have a powerful offense and defense but allow other teams to walk down the field 10 and fifteen yards a play because being afraid to give up a long play. Do they make a habit of giving up long plays? Had Pittsburg made a big play maybe we would have at least had time left on the clock for a possible come back. Let the defense do what they are being paid to do. And they are doing it well!! We had the chance to be in the super bowl last year and I hope to again this year. Besides that tell me one game we have won using a cautious offense and a prevent defense that we have won?? But how many have we lost?? We need a coaching staff with a killer instinct no lead is enough until the clock has expired. Vincent Thomas Lombardi coached to win. Remember Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing. If the defense has not allowed the other team to score with their normal defense don’t change it. Why try to fix something that’s not broke. Let the offense continue to score no matter what the score is and let the defense play their game no matter what the score and we will win.

I noticed that Capers seemed to "call off the dogs" as well against the big name QBs. It's almost like he thinks if he blitzes these guys they'll torch him. Yet New Orleans clearly showed that blitzing works against the big name QBs. All those years we had Favre, teams that held back got burnt worse than teams who unleashed the hounds. I don't know why Capers hasn't seen that in all the game films. Yes, once in a while Favre or Roethlisberger will burn you on a blitz, but more often than not it takes them and their receivers out of rhythm. Philadelphia seems to have perfected this tactic. I think blitzing someone like Favre, now, is also very important because he doesn't run like he used to when he was young. Mr. Capers; UNLEASH THE HOUNDS!

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Typical reply from a Minnesota fan (...)

Thanks for the laugh ! *cheers*

- You are new here, I can tell that ... - Because if you had been reading these forums regularly you would know that I'm not a "Minnesota" fan perce, but rather a "Football" fan ... And my "ties" to the Packers are probably alot closer than you may think they are ...

(...) But when they let the defense play the second half they sure shut down the Vikings last year!! What defense was you watching?? (...)

"Shut down" ? - Again I have to ask ... What games were you watching ? Apparently not the ones from last season ...

"Let the defense play" ... I'm sorry but that comment almost made me spit out coffee on my laptop ...

(...)They are as fine a defense in the NFL as it gets. There is not another team in the NFL that wouldn’t want to have them.

This "Great and Powerfull Defense" gave up way too many scores last season - Lets just hope they don't repeat last weeks pre-season game ...

I noticed that Capers seemed to "call off the dogs" as well against the big name QBs. It's almost like he thinks if he blitzes these guys they'll torch him. Yet New Orleans clearly showed that blitzing works against the big name QBs. All those years we had Favre, teams that held back got burnt worse than teams who unleashed the hounds. I don't know why Capers hasn't seen that in all the game films. Yes, once in a while Favre or Roethlisberger will burn you on a blitz, but more often than not it takes them and their receivers out of rhythm. Philadelphia seems to have perfected this tactic. I think blitzing someone like Favre, now, is also very important because he doesn't run like he used to when he was young. Mr. Capers; UNLEASH THE HOUNDS!

- Yet for all the blitzing the Saints still didn't manage to sack Favre once, and was still soundly beat on their own turf, all though they (The Saints) did manage to squeeze out the win in OT ...

More often than not - If you keep blitzing QB's like Manning, Favre and the likes, more often than not, you will find yourself on the receiving end, rather than on the opposite ...

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Thanks for the laugh ! *cheers*

- You are new here, I can tell that ... - Because if you had been reading these forums regularly you would know that I'm not a "Minnesota" fan perce, but rather a "Football" fan ... And my "ties" to the Packers are probably alot closer than you may think they are ...

"Shut down" ? - Again I have to ask ... What games were you watching ? Apparently not the ones from last season ...

"Let the defense play" ... I'm sorry but that comment almost made me spit out coffee on my laptop ...

This "Great and Powerfull Defense" gave up way too many scores last season - Lets just hope they don't repeat last weeks pre-season game ...

- Yet for all the blitzing the Saints still didn't manage to sack Favre once, and was still soundly beat on their own turf, all though they (The Saints) did manage to squeeze out the win in OT ...

More often than not - If you keep blitzing QB's like Manning, Favre and the likes, more often than not, you will find yourself on the receiving end, rather than on the opposite ...

I don't know about that. Like I said; Philadelphia has it down to a science. And in that playoff, the pressure DID force at least one very crucial turnover, an interception. Teams did the same things to the Packers when Favre was in Green Bay, and when rushed, sometimes he burned them, but many times he threw the int.

This is from the NFL.Com official game stats and analyses; "While some might suggest the Vikings had a host of unforced errors, the Saints' relentless pressure resulted in five turnovers. Williams' aggressive game plan featured five- and six-man pressures with man coverage on the outside to force Brett Favre into hurried throws. Additionally, the blitz-heavy strategy allowed the Saints to pummel Favre. Although the Saints' emerging pass rush led to two interceptions, it was the defense's pursuit of the ball led to six forced fumbles (three recovered by the Saints), including two inside the red zone. Thanks to its overwhelming advantage in the turnover battle (5-1), New Orleans will represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. -- Bucky Brooks"

OP
OP
D

dmoss

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank You. That is what I have been saying all along. Let them play.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
we only play the vikings for 2 games....

True, but if we had won those two games last year, where would we have finished in the division?

I'll add a caveat to high pressure theory; Peyton Manning statistically completes a very high percentage of passes against pressure. This is probably due to the format he has in which he can call a larger number of different plays from the line of scrimmage than many QBs.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
True, but if we had won those two games last year, where would we have finished in the division?

I'll add a caveat to high pressure theory; Peyton Manning statistically completes a very high percentage of passes against pressure. This is probably due to the format he has in which he can call a larger number of different plays from the line of scrimmage than many QBs.

Most posters on this board were sure aswell last season that the Pack would sweep the Vikings ...

The Packers has one of the NFL's most potent offenses, however their Defense and ST unit isn't as great as the former ..., - I just don't see Capers "history" is about is about change this season either ...

Not having made any substantial moves in order to strenghten the defense (yet again) this off season only makes me believe, with the tougher schedule ahead, that the Pack won't finish as great as they did last season ...

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Most posters on this board were sure aswell last season that the Pack would sweep the Vikings ...

The Packers has one of the NFL's most potent offenses, however their Defense and ST unit isn't as great as the former ..., - I just don't see Capers "history" is about is about change this season either ...

Not having made any substantial moves in order to strenghten the defense (yet again) this off season only makes me believe, with the tougher schedule ahead, that the Pack won't finish as great as they did last season ...

I can't disagree there. I wanted to see a free agent acquisition which would boost the defense. I didn't think our D got near enough pressure on QB's last year and this year we will be facing a series of teams with good offenses.

Members online

Latest posts