Time to sign a free agent on defense

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get it and usually I'm right there with ya but after following this defense very closely the last few years I am losing hope and patience that it will ever be a dominant defense with how things are going. I feel like we're right where we were last year, and the year before only now we don't even want to sign most of the players the team has supposedly developed that are free agents. Doesn't seem to be working. If we let some of these guys go the packers are way way under the cap. Enough to make some "big moves."

Bottom line for me and I don't know about others in here but I am sick and tired of my beloved packers "losing to the 49'ers and Harbough. " Makes me want to puke. With everything that has happened to Rodgers and all things considered. I really think this team needs to be built to win the next few years. pack only scored 20 pts against the niners. Our make-shift injured D held them mostly to field goals in red zone. We haven't been as good this last year in redone especially with Rodgers and Finely going down. I have fantasies about getting Rodgers another weapon in the red zone like "jimmy Graham". I mean we were set to pay finely 8 mill until he got injured. It Probably will never happen but I can dream.

I'll admit, Graham would be nice, but I don't see the cap room with so many free agents of our own. Yes, we won't keep them all, but then we still need money to replace the ones we don't.

We'll then better re-sign jones or get a TE to replace Finely's production

Resigning Quarless would work for me.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's funny, then tell me how the Packers are going to beat the 49'ers next season and compete with the "stinky bears" and all there weapons?
Let me ask you this, about those 49ers, and their weapons.

How close was the game vs SF this weekend? Answer, very close. One catch by Hyde and we win.
Or one stop on one of those 3rd & longs on that last drive, and we maybe win.
So it was close no?

Would you say were were, therefore, just "a few pieces" away from beating them?
Logic would say yes probably.

• How about these pieces:
  • OLB Matthews, instead of Mulumba. Would that have been enough? I think so.
  • OT Bulaga instead of Barclay or Bakhtiari.
  • TE Jermichael Finley instead of Quarless.
  • CB Shields instead of House.
  • CB Hayward instead of Hyde.

We already HAVE/HAD those pieces. We were just BS unlucky to lose so many key guys.
The Niners were not missing any real key guys to their team. None. Carlos Rogers and their FB, that's it. A backup WR.

Adding Jimmy Graham is a pipe dream. Just don't get your hopes up it won't ever happen.
I've learned that over the Thompson years.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Let me ask you this, about those 49ers, and their weapons.

How close was the game vs SF this weekend? Answer, very close. One catch by Hyde and we win.
Or one stop on one of those 3rd & longs on that last drive, and we maybe win.
So it was close no?

Would you say were were, therefore, just "a few pieces" away from beating them?
Logic would say yes probably.

• How about these pieces:
  • OLB Matthews, instead of Mulumba. Would that have been enough? I think so.
  • OT Bulaga instead of Barclay or Bakhtiari.
  • TE Jermichael Finley instead of Quarless.
  • CB Shields instead of House.
  • CB Hayward instead of Hyde.

We already HAVE/HAD those pieces. We were just BS unlucky to lose so many key guys.
The Niners were not missing any real key guys to their team. None. Carlos Rogers and their FB, that's it. A backup WR.

Adding Jimmy Graham is a pipe dream. Just don't get your hopes up it won't ever happen.
I've learned that over the Thompson years.

Yeah I'm right there with ya. I agree with all of that. Just sucks we couldn't get them at Lambeau. I know Graham will never happen. Somehow it would be nice to re-place Finely's production because I think jones is gone and Finely won't be coming back to Packers. I don't see any other Finely type TE's as free agents.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading over some threads, and reading what Tramon Williams said. I just remembered either reading an article, or talking to a friend about the steelers linebackers. It took Timmons 3 years before he became a starter. He was a backup for those 3 seasons behind the starters to learn the defence. (facts might be a bit off just going off the top of my head).

They draft Linebackers knowing full well they won't start until years 2,3, or 4. We drafted Perry to be something he just wasn't ready for. This system will work but we need veterans to play while the young ones learn the system. I still think Capers needs to go. but Ted needs to add some veteran players to this defence.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not one for hyperbole or reading into comments and things like that. I really liked however what Rodgers said yesterday about opening up a "new" window for this Packers team to make a bunch of playoff runs.

Honestly, I have not been this excited about the team in years either. We know damn well that Rodgers and MAC and Ted talk on another level. I'd be willing to bet there's talk of doing whatever it takes to get the defense in order and that's what Rodgers is talking about.

Just doing the math on this...we don't need to really invest much in the draft on the O side of the ball...or in free agency on that side. We need to go all in on the defense again.

This offense is full of proven play makers. I disagree that the O-line needs tons of help. I think this is the best shape we'll be in going into next season in years for the O-line.

Let's draft for defense and if they are out there, snag some decent free agents if the price is fair.

Take a long look at the rosters of the other teams in our division. It's been years since I felt this way but I think we are head and shoulders better than any of them. I'm laughing at the Bears fans thinking their offense is so much better than the Packs. Nope... I'd take Lacey over Forte, our 4 quality receivers over their 2 and certainly Rodgers over Cutler!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not one for hyperbole or reading into comments and things like that. I really liked however what Rodgers said yesterday about opening up a "new" window for this Packers team to make a bunch of playoff runs.

Honestly, I have not been this excited about the team in years either. We know damn well that Rodgers and MAC and Ted talk on another level. I'd be willing to bet there's talk of doing whatever it takes to get the defense in order and that's what Rodgers is talking about.

Just doing the math on this...we don't need to really invest much in the draft on the O side of the ball...or in free agency on that side. We need to go all in on the defense again.

This offense is full of proven play makers. I disagree that the O-line needs tons of help. I think this is the best shape we'll be in going into next season in years for the O-line.

Let's draft for defense and if they are out there, snag some decent free agents if the price is fair.

Take a long look at the rosters of the other teams in our division. It's been years since I felt this way but I think we are head and shoulders better than any of them. I'm laughing at the Bears fans thinking their offense is so much better than the Packs. Nope... I'd take Lacey over Forte, our 4 quality receivers over their 2 and certainly Rodgers over Cutler!

I like the optimism. I agree that the offense will be just fine. All those clamoring for offensive line improvements just need to look at recent Super Bowl winners. Not one of them had anything close to a dominant oline. The Giants had a terrible oline for both their titles.

Our defense needs help but counting on the draft for that help is a pipedream, we've seen how much help rookies provide our defense. We need to bring in some free agents, hopefully at safety to try and correct some of the breakdowns we have because of our youth.

I have to disagree on the Lacy vs Forte comparison though. Forte is twice the receiver that Lacy is and he's just as good a runner (different but just as good). I hate the Bears too but we need to keep our feet on the ground occasionally.

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know TT loves to develop through the draft and for the most part i applaud that strategy, but at times a free agent signing is in order. Unfortunately, our greatest needs on defense are also the shallowest positions in this draft. Clearly, if by chance Clinton-Dix or Mosley are available when we pick at #21, we are going to draft one. Other than that, there really aren't too many prospects for immediate impact.

Rodgers is in his prime and will be for the next 5-7 years. We don't have time to develop players at both of those positions. I think it's time to open the check book and make a serious play at Jairus Byrd. Bills franchised him last year, so he's got a green light. Would he be expensive? Yes. Would he be worth the investment? Hell yes!

If we sign one guy, that's the one I want. His impact would be immediate and substantial. A guy like him makes the entire defense better. He's my signee. Who would you sign?

As much as I would love for us to go after Byrd our best best for a Safety is the draft and I say open the check book towards bringing in another playmaker in the front 7 because Clay can't do it all and get serious depth at LB with healthy players, and GOD AWFUL a LT pls!

D3uc3

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For the most part I believe your right offensively our only focus should be bringing back James Jones I think our system is the best system for his skill set as in Flynn, Defensively we don't need a lot just another solid S, LB's, DL that fit into the scheme (Capers coachable) and focus on the contracts that we want to bring back.

TCHickman24

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say we, as fans, take the initiative and buy a billboard to get TT's attention.

Have Arod looking out of a window with the caption stating, "The window is closing. Upgrade the D."

You move, TT.

Side note: Please don't take this too seriously.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Want to know who is a free agent?

Here's where to see the best lists..... https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/07/2014-pff-free-agency-tracker/

Here are the SAFETIES : https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/01/2014-free-agent-safeties/

Note where Woodson is.
And MD Jennings, if you can find him.
Pollard, Whitner, TJ Ward are the best bets.
I also am a bit intrigued by Carolina's Michael Mitchell, age 27.
Rated as about average, he's a significant upgrade over what we have now, and will be cheap.

Watch him Sunday vs the 49ers.

At INSIDER LINEBACKER, I really like:
Arthur Moats, from Buffalo. Only 26, I wanted him in the draft when he came out.

I don't know much about these #3 & #4 guys on PFF here, but they have great numbers, and could be bargains as they aren't big names?
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/01/2014-free-agent-linebackers/

If you're not sold on Nick Perry as OLB, here's their OLBs https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/01/2014-free-agent-edge-defenders/

LOVE Orakpo. They (Washington) let Laron Landy get away 2 years ago.....
Jason Worilds of the Steelers is a 9.5, I like him a lot. Only 26 yrs old.
Everson Griffin of the Vikings too... he was Nick Perry at USC before Perry. He's also 26.

Note how our OLB convert Mike Neal grades out there.
They believe we can do a lot better.
Remember, when we drafted Neal, it was a jaw-dropper. He wasn't rated that high on anyone's Draft Guides/Books, ESPN, etc.

I was like "whooooooo?"

Last edited:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So my (realistic except Orakpo) Wish List:

OLB Brian Orakpo $$$$ (as costly as Jairus Byrd, but a way better player)
OLB Jason Worilds $$
OLB Everson Griffen $$
OLB O'Brien Schofield $

ILB Arthur Moats $$ or $$$
ILB Dekoda Watson $
ILB Vincent Rey $ or $$

S T.J. Ward $$$ or $$$$
S Donte Whitner $$ or $$$
S Bernard Pollard $$
S Michael Mitchell $ or $$

Note Woodson, overall grade was okay despite being in a new defense.
Certainly a helluva lot higher grade than MD Jennings and Jerron McMillian. And Burnett sadly.

Holy crap, look how bad Malcolm Jenkins is! Wow.

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to bring Woodson back. Alot of people said he was done but he had a very solid year in Oakland. He just wants to win another SB and it's not about the money so he would be fairly cheap. If we keep the old man (capers) Woodson already knows his defense so it won't be hard for him to adjust. Maybe draft a guy for Woodson to groom for about a year. All the db's had swag when Woodson was here. Can't replace a guy like that.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the main thing is that we don't need a TERRIFIC safety, we just need a guy back there that won't screw up, won't be a liability and can ensure the rest of the defense is where it needs to be. People keep saying Byrd and yeah, he'd be amazing. However, signing a mid-tier guy like Chris Clemons would be a tremendous boost to this team. Husain Abdullah is another guy that won't cost nearly as much as Byrd and would be a massive upgrade.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the main thing is that we don't need a TERRIFIC safety, we just need a guy back there that won't screw up, won't be a liability and can ensure the rest of the defense is where it needs to be. People keep saying Byrd and yeah, he'd be amazing. However, signing a mid-tier guy like Chris Clemons would be a tremendous boost to this team. Husain Abdullah is another guy that won't cost nearly as much as Byrd and would be a massive upgrade.
BERNARD POLLARD.
He's 29, which is 8 years younger than Woodson.
He's in great shape. He's PHYSICAL, which is something this defense, especially the DB's, have been missing for too long.

He's a competitor who has emotion out there and wants to win.
He doesn't just go through the motions out there like you see from MD Jennings.
He's got experience and smarts. He made $1.6 mil this season. He was a catalyst for the Ravens Super Bowl backfield last season. He won't cost too much, certainly less than what we are paying Burnett for not being a good tackler and for not coming up with either a single interception or a single forced fumble.

But those 2 will make a much better tandem than we have had for awhile.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

<YEP that was flagged. But you know why Wayne dropped it? He heard Bernie's footsteps

Members online

Latest posts