Time to sign a free agent on defense

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have zero interest in making 3 players the highest paid players at their positions.

while not on defense, I like Garrett Graham for TE.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, 5 this year. Plus hurt the last game and left.

Regardless...Byrd's not an injury prone player.
Regardless, we all know Thompson will not buy the most expensive item on the FA menu like that.
No chance.

Tier 2 or tier 3 safety might have a chance though.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless, we all know Thompson will not buy the most expensive item on the FA menu like that.
No chance.

There was a time when many said Thompson would never trade up in the draft. I don't think he's as inflexible and stuck in his ways as people think. I think he's open to seeking improvements, especially given the current state of the defense.

Tier 2 or tier 3 doesn't help us the way that a tier 1 would. We thought Morgan Burnett was a tier 2 or tier 3.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No chance.

Why did you change my quoted post to misquote me? Seems kind of unethical.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why did you change my quoted post to misquote me? Seems kind of unethical.
quoted for accuracy.

(seemed kind of unethical you tried to sell to our readers he only missed 3 games the past 4 years, when truth was he missed 5 this season plus another 1 the final week when he left early like Sam Shields did.)

Anyway, this is an off-season TT has a lot of his own guys as free agents. More than any other year I think here.

This would not be the time TT does a 180 and signs a high-priced free agent like Byrd.
Even Woodson and Pickett didn't have many other teams knocking at their door. But Byrd will.
TT don't play that game.

How does Bernard Pollard work for you?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have my attention. Always looking for new guys

Former badger, was one of the better players on the texans this past year. Shouldnt be too expensive. consistent player. Garrett and his wife are former badger athletes.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you're right...

Then again, how many here predicted the giant deal for Hawk, or the big deal for Jones?

Hawk took a pay cut and he's the most under-appreciated player on the whole team.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There you have it anti free agency folks, "we don't have to do this every year".
Safety is a BIG hole that needs filling, NOW, and draft and develop is not in the cards this year because there ain't much on the draft board.
No, there's not. Clinton-Dix is about it. I'm sure there's one or two other potential stud safeties, but the rest of them are kind of a crap shoot.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No chance.

Wouldn't that still be a significant upgrade over our bottom tier safeties opposite Burnett?
I say that with one caveat: I am still intrigued by the potential of Sean Richardson. His size and athleticism is pretty good. He may be very good once he gets some more time on the field.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
quoted for accuracy.

(seemed kind of unethical you tried to sell to our readers he only missed 3 games the past 4 years, when truth was he missed 5 this season plus another 1 the final week when he left early like Sam Shields did.)

Anyway, this is an off-season TT has a lot of his own guys as free agents. More than any other year I think here.

This would not be the time TT does a 180 and signs a high-priced free agent like Byrd.
Even Woodson and Pickett didn't have many other teams knocking at their door. But Byrd will.
TT don't play that game.

How does Bernard Pollard work for you?

Seriously, because I accidentally got a number wrong by 2? And immediately corrected it when you pointed it out? That's not unethical. That's an honest mistake, I didn't "try" to do anything, I got the number wrong by 2. Unethical would be if I purposely put down the wrong number to deceive posters.

There is nothing you are going to say about 5 games vs. 3 or Byrd leaving the last game that is going to change anything. Byrd is not injury prone, and injury concerns will not be a factor in his new contract.

Would you have avoided extending Jordy Nelson after the 2012 season due to "injury concerns"? Since he was reliable his entire career and then missed 4 games because of injury.

Pollard is okay. I guess anything would be an improvement, but he's not going to add that playmaker aspect to the defense.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pollard is okay. I guess anything would be an improvement, but he's not going to add that playmaker aspect to the defense.
"Okay" might be a lot better than what we got back there now.
Also, this guy is "physical".
And he might be a guy who forces the others back there to be held accountable for their tackling, their physicality. Maybe bring an edge back there we haven't seen since Chuck Cecil. Or maybe Le'Roy Butler.

Burnett is awful.
Watch that GIF I posted of the Kapernick 50 yard run. Burnett just walked up and got himself way out of position, creating the huge lane for Colin to take off and run. And he was given an extension by us? For that, that tackling ability? Or his ballhawking skills that led to zero interceptions?

We need help back there in the back hole.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. If Raji wanted to cash in as a Packer, he should have done so 2 months ago when the offer was made. If anything, when they look at his actual production and realize that Boyd can do anything Raji has done the last 2 years, they'll let him go. If $8M wasn't enough then, it won't be now. Thompson isn't the idiot some of you like to think he is. If it's a choice between Shields or Raji, he'll go with Shields.

we will see bro....we will see. hopefully that's the case.

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully he can find a few good ones later in free agency when he doesn't have to overpay like with Woodson and Pickett. Good free agents the first week are always overpaid for and often don't work out.

Woodson was worth it.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Tramon has started lobbying for some veteran help:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...it-packers-defense-b99178362z1-238988831.html

"You're challenged with young guys," Williams said to a couple of reporters at his locker. "Talented, young guys get played, but the game is still fast for them because they don't understand what teams are trying to do, they don't understand the scheme fully, they don't understand what the scheme can do for them, if they understand it.
"That's what you're faced with. Plus, the preparation. A lot of guys thought they knew how to prepare when they were in college, but then you get to the league and you find out there's another level to preparation. That's what you're faced with, with young guys. Even though we say it's a young league, yeah, it's a young league.
"It's an old league, too, because old guys make the league go."

First of all, I think it's good to see Tramon step into more of a leadership role. I commented before the season that the Packers, and especially the defense, might suffer from losing Woodson's leadership. I had hoped somebody might step into the role, but the obvious veteran candidates, Matthews, Hawk and Pickett tend to lead more by example.

"Williams said he would express his opinions about the need for more veterans, but he wasn't demanding anything be done."

Found this statement interesting. I wonder if it's a subtle reference to the apparent "requests" of our former quarterback.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers and Clay?

I'm glad he re-signed Matthews but yes he overpayed for Matthews imo. But hey, Matthews is really the only force on our defense so....good for him. When you have a bunch of average players around one superstar you have to overpay sometimes.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...it-packers-defense-b99178362z1-238988831.html
"You're challenged with young guys," Williams said to a couple of reporters at his locker. "Talented, young guys get played, but the game is still fast for them because they don't understand what teams are trying to do, they don't understand the scheme fully, they don't understand what the scheme can do for them, if they understand it.
"That's what you're faced with. Plus, the preparation. A lot of guys thought they knew how to prepare when they were in college, but then you get to the league and you find out there's another level to preparation. That's what you're faced with, with young guys. Even though we say it's a young league, yeah, it's a young league.

So is that him saying the def scheme is okay???

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

First of all, I think it's good to see Tramon step into more of a leadership role. I commented before the season that the Packers, and especially the defense, might suffer from losing Woodson's leadership. I had hoped somebody might step into the role, but the obvious veteran candidates, Matthews, Hawk and Pickett tend to lead more by example.

"Williams said he would express his opinions about the need for more veterans, but he wasn't demanding anything be done."

Found this statement interesting. I wonder if it's a subtle reference to the apparent "requests" of our former quarterback.

Woodson will be available :)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad he re-signed Matthews but yes he overpayed for Matthews imo. But hey, Matthews is really the only force on our defense so....good for him. When you have a bunch of average players around one superstar you have to overpay sometimes.

Say Clay was a free agent last year, the contract he got with the Pack, is that what he would have got from a Dallas, Redskins or who ever?

Members online

Latest posts