1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Time to re-do playoff system?

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by longtimefan, Dec 22, 2010.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,979
    The Niners can win the division with a 7-9 record..

I think the NFL is going to look into something to add 2 more teams to the playoffs..

Would be a shame that a 7-9 team gets in but a 10-6 or 11-5 doesnt

2. GrnNGldGrl

GrnNGldGrl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I agree wholeheartedly. A 7-9 team should not go over a 10-6 team. But this raises the issue of "We're the best team in the division, doesn't that count for anything?" I'm torn as to what's less controversial. Giving 2 more teams per conference, a chance in the playoffs, which starts this attitude of "Give everyone a chance" or Eliminate teams based on records, in which case, what's the point of the division? Maybe the NFC West should just pick up their game a little, and we wouldn't have to worry about it. Sorry, no hate to the NFC West but, C'MON MAN!

3. GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +132
    So what are we saying, that the first time in 90 years, a less than 8-8 team makes the playoff, we start changing all the rules. Let us not jump to hasty conclusions. The system has worked out pretty well...so we get a bump in the road one year. Leave it alone for now. So an NFC West team makes the playoffs...how long do you think they will last...and even if they win the SB, at least it will become a trivia question. If it ain't broke ...don't fix it!

4. kali3

kali3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    If a below .500 team wins a division and the 4th seed in the playoffs you can have some strange things happen.

For example is if you had 2 division rivals battling for the division title (and the 3 seed) where the loser gets a wild card (the 5th seed) the losing team winning the wild card might have an easier game vs the below .500 division winner than the 3rd seed team who could face a good wild card team.

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,099
    Do they deserve a playoff spot? yes. Do they deserve a home game? No.

6. PackerFan87

PackerFan87 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    I don't think the current rules should change.

...Unless that division is going to be crap for the next few years. :p

7. robdog

robdog Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +308
    Do not redo the playoff system. The system is perfect. Just because the collective NFC West is a POS doesn't mean we need to completely redo the system. Football is basically perfect with minor hiccups.

Side note: please vote no to the 18 game schedule... (will not make the NFL better)

8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,099
    I support getting rid of 2 pre season games. Such a screw job that packer fans are stuck paying full price for games that are bogus. As a club season ticket holder I hate getting stuck forking out nearly $600 per preseason game.

The extra 2 games I could take it or leave it.

9. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +471
    This is how I feel.

Winning your division should get you a guarenteed playoff spot. Then when the playoffs start they should be reseeded.