time to come clean guys

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay who on here during the off season was begging for the packers to pick a certain FA or trade for someone who was available?

Name the Player and how they have done so far this season.

Its time for some people to earn some praise and some more to eat some crow!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ill go first, I wanted Leon Washington, and I hated the idea of picking up LT. Seem like a wash I guess.

+RAY+

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted to see Julius Peppers or Ladanian Tomlinson... But we know how that turned out..

With Kampman gone, I thought Peppers would have made a great replacement. And Ive made it clear on here before that I didnt like Jackson as our 2nd and really dont like him now that he's our sad starter. I knew we were just inches away from the running game state that we are in now.. One good hit on Grant, and it would be down the tubes. Hell, I even wanted Westbrook despite his concussion history.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I suggested/wanted Donald Penn (LT) of Tampa Bay.

I couldn't tell ya how he is doing. I haven't seen a single Bucs game, but has to be miles better than Clifton.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I wanted Jahvid Best. Badly.

Hate to say I told you so, so I won't. :p

And I wanted Brandon Banks, who you might've saw run a punt back 51 yards against Philly on Sunday.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

And I wanted Brandon Banks, who you might've saw run a punt back 51 yards against Philly on Sunday.

Good call with Best, I wanted him too when someone posted his highlight videos on here. I must have watched them about 10 times lol. I was pretty sure he was the best RB out of the draft even though people were higher on Spiller.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh come on, this isnt just gloating guys! Where are all the Merriman fans? Only Ray is going to come forward and say he wanted Westbrook? I know about 1/2 the board was drooling over him! What about Ted Ginn?

The thing that turned me away from Peppers was the attitude and the asking price.

I dont know if I ever commented on him but I thought thomas Jones was done, and in KC he looks to be doing well in the two back system.

Two seasons ago I really wanted the Pack to sign Ray Lewis, but alot of teams seemed to shy away from him due to age.

A player I never even thought about but has been great so far is van den bosh. Always can use a guy with a motor like that.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I wanted Ginn. I'll cop to that. Merriman too.

Given Jordy Nelson's newfound fumblitis, and our inability to get a consistent pass rush if Clay's neutralized, I still want both of them. :lol:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Best was the reason we WON against the Lions. Slipped in the first INT, and coughed the ball. Just saying...

The guys I really wanted, not considering Bulaga falling (wanted him when we had the chance) were Charles Brown from USC and Jerry Huges from TCU.

So far, both haven't been playing much, so I can't tell...

FA, I would have liked a shifty back, like Washington or Taylor, but I don't remember lobying for anyone. Could be wrong, and will promptly accept it if someone throw it in my face lol

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember wanting TT to draft Kindle real bad but what happened to him was such a fluke I cant really say if he would have worked out or not for us. **** we might still get him, since I think the Ravens signed him to only a 1 deal.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I really wanted Peppers. It's hard to get our hopes up for anything though with TT at the helm.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Peppers wasn't an OLB, nor a 3-4 DE. He had never played a down in that scheme, nor he had the body type to play any of those positions.

You really wanted Peppers?
Did you watch the game last Monday? Anywhere they put Pepper's on the line, he dominated, unless he was held. I'd be willing to bet he could thrive in any kind of scheme. He wanted to get out of Carolina so he could play in a 3-4 anyways, where he thought he'd be better off. So yes, I would have loved to have seen Peppers in Green and Gold trading sacks with CM3 and Jenkins.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you watch the game last Monday? Anywhere they put Pepper's on the line, he dominated, unless he was held. I'd be willing to bet he could thrive in any kind of scheme. He wanted to get out of Carolina so he could play in a 3-4 anyways, where he thought he'd be better off. So yes, I would have loved to have seen Peppers in Green and Gold trading sacks with CM3 and Jenkins.
Anywhere they put him WHERE? On the 4-3 DL? Oh that's right...

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Anywhere they put him WHERE? On the 4-3 DL? Oh that's right...
My point is that him being moved around on the line, regardless of whether it was a 4-3 or not shows that he is flexible. If they needed to roll double teams his way, at the least that would open up lanes for our other pass rushers. Like I said, he wanted to play in a 3-4 because he thought it would suit him better and while, no, there's no proof that he would be a stud, likewise, you don't know that he wouldn't be.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is that him being moved around on the line, regardless of whether it was a 4-3 or not shows that he is flexible. If they needed to roll double teams his way, at the least that would open up lanes for our other pass rushers. Like I said, he wanted to play in a 3-4 because he thought it would suit him better and while, no, there's no proof that he would be a stud, likewise, you don't know that he wouldn't be.
Have heard of a certain Aaron Kampman, that played on both sides of the line? Peppers didn't play DT with the Bears, so he didn't play all over the line. Don't use that as evidence that he could work out, because that's preposturous. He would have to play in a completely different stance, that he never played before, would have to cover, which he did to some success, but it's a different thing dropping occasionally than dropping all the time.

Players fail from 3-4 to 4-3 and vice versa all the time. So far, I can't remember a single sucesfull conversion. Can you? It's a whole different game.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Have heard of a certain Aaron Kampman, that played on both sides of the line? Peppers didn't play DT with the Bears, so he didn't play all over the line. Don't use that as evidence that he could work out, because that's preposturous. He would have to play in a completely different stance, that he never played before, would have to cover, which he did to some success, but it's a different thing dropping occasionally than dropping all the time.

Players fail from 3-4 to 4-3 and vice versa all the time. So far, I can't remember a single sucesfull conversion. Can you? It's a whole different game.
I'll admit, it's definitely a tough switch, there are a lot of DE's like Kampman that struggle with it. But there are also a lot of DE's that come out of college where they played in a 4-3 and do fine as a DE or OLB in a 3-4. One more time, if Peppers wanted to play in a 3-4, why not see what he could do? He's certainly big enough and athletic enough to work as a DE in a 3-4.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll admit, it's definitely a tough switch, there are a lot of DE's like Kampman that struggle with it. But there are also a lot of DE's that come out of college where they played in a 4-3 and do fine as a DE or OLB in a 3-4.
You have to agree that it's very different for a 23 year old kid to learn a new scheme, than it is for a 30 year old vet to lose his habits...

One more time, if Peppers wanted to play in a 3-4, why not see what he could do? He's certainly big enough and athletic enough to work as a DE in a 3-4.
100 million reasons why. Literally.

Look, I get it. The guy is a beast. But cost benefit it was ridiculous. He's 30, he had never played in the 3-4, and he wanted to be the highest paid defender in the NFL.

BTW, the Packers are #1 in sacks with 16. Clay Matthews leads the league with 7. We're fine in that depth. Cullen Jenkins has 4 sacks, before someone goes out sayng that we should get another viable threat outside CM3.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
You have to agree that it's very different for a 23 year old kid to learn a new scheme, than it is for a 30 year old vet to lose his habits...

100 million reasons why. Literally.

Look, I get it. The guy is a beast. But cost benefit it was ridiculous. He's 30, he had never played in the 3-4, and he wanted to be the highest paid defender in the NFL.

BTW, the Packers are #1 in sacks with 16. Clay Matthews leads the league with 7. We're fine in that depth. Cullen Jenkins has 4 sacks, before someone goes out sayng that we should get another viable threat outside CM3.
I see your point in the cost-benefit ratio, which is, I'm sure, why we didn't get him to begin with. I know it was a pipe dream to get a player of his caliber without drafting him first, whether or not we needed him. Regardless, the OP asked to fess up who we wanted in the offseason, and I wanted Peppers. Better off on our team than on the Cubbies anyways.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts