Should NFL Owners And The NFLPA Put Pressure On The League To Overturn More PI Or Non PI Calls?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, being able to challenge pass interference was supposed to make sure uncalled big penalties were not missed, but it seems they failed. Last night it happened again in a big play that cost a team a division and impacted the playoff seeding.

Now, some may see it as a little poetic justice for what happened in 2012 with the fail Mary and all that also impacting the seeding, but God knows when this kind of thing might come up again in a big playoff or superbowl game. I say if any piece of PI can be seen period on a replay, overturn the damn call. Coach sees it on a jumbotron and throws the red flag, overturn it.

Also, Carroll couldn't throw his red flag last night since it was under two minutes. Take away that rule and allow coaches to throw the flag any time that clock still has time on it. The automatic review crew is going to miss things, so challenges remaining then will make sure they don't.

Anyway, I say owners and players union should pressure the league to make these changes and make sure even close PI calls are overturned. What happened last night must not be allowed to continue.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overturning penalty calls was and is a stupid stupid idea. The NFL knows this and just wanted to do something to appease stupid fans. There is no intent to overturn any bit the most blatant calls. I half expect the Saints to get screwed by someone over turning a call on them. Just to teach them a lesson.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pressure must be put on to overturn the missed calls ... All of them!!! Replay works, so use the damn thing and overturn then.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
What slows down the game even more is replay, if this just appeases the stupid fan get rid of it all even replay and just let the call by the officials stand.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I know is it's gonna suck when the next collective bargain agreement comes around.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, being able to challenge pass interference was supposed to make sure uncalled big penalties were not missed, but it seems they failed. Last night it happened again in a big play that cost a team a division and impacted the playoff seeding.

Now, some may see it as a little poetic justice for what happened in 2012 with the fail Mary and all that also impacting the seeding, but God knows when this kind of thing might come up again in a big playoff or superbowl game. I say if any piece of PI can be seen period on a replay, overturn the damn call. Coach sees it on a jumbotron and throws the red flag, overturn it.

Also, Carroll couldn't throw his red flag last night since it was under two minutes. Take away that rule and allow coaches to throw the flag any time that clock still has time on it. The automatic review crew is going to miss things, so challenges remaining then will make sure they don't.

Anyway, I say owners and players union should pressure the league to make these changes and make sure even close PI calls are overturned. What happened last night must not be allowed to continue.
You said stars...but I think you meant qb stars.

Mark igramm
Julio Jones
Derrik henry
All from alabama

Reaction score
I would only condone this if teams could challenge any call that holds an instant change of possession (4th down attempts, turnovers, scoring plays) Actually they already cover scoring plays so just amend it. Teams should be held accountable though and only if they have a TO to gamble. Also if the call on the field stands they lose their TO.

That would eliminate the bulk of frivolous replays and mainly relegate it to game deciding calls (similar to scoring reviews)

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Current replay rules require an automatic booth review for any scoring plays or turnovers. A 4th down attempt would count as a turnover.

I'd be fine with the proposal to have an extra official in the booth monitoring replay. He could have the ability to chime in to officials' discussions on the field, either weighing in with what we all see on tv or letting the officials know if there is video evidence that should be reviewed.

I think that Pandora's box is already open. We already allow instant replay to slow down the game. Let's get most of the calls right if we can. I always liked the time limit though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Z-Dog penalty is a perfect example of how a blown call can really cost a team. Bad enough that the Packers got penalized 15 yards, but the blown call nullified an interception. I don't think there was one person, besides maybe Saints fans, that thought that was a penalty. Once again, that was a penalty that negated a change of possession and in Football, just one turnover can change the outcome of a game.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Z-Dog penalty is a perfect example of how a blown call can really cost a team. Bad enough that the Packers got penalized 15 yards, but the blown call nullified an interception. I don't think there was one person, besides maybe Saints fans, that thought that was a penalty. Once again, that was a penalty that negated a change of possession and in Football, just one turnover can change the outcome of a game.

Is there a video of that play on the interwebs somewhere?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is there a video of that play on the interwebs somewhere?
The NFL admitted it was a bad call..video after article.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On one of the podcasts, they said that in a press conference last week that LeFluer loosely stated that the league said 'My bad' in response to the call. He didn't directly give their official response, but all of the sportswriters understood what he was saying. The league can't go back and retroactively change the outcome after the game, so it doesn't really matter. If anything, they will just re-emphasize with the refs to make sure that we aren't just penalizing big hits. That's a tough one, because at game speed, Winston's head shot back with the force of the hit. From behind I would assume that it looked like contact with the head. I don't blame the ref. I mildly blame the league. It's a tough rule to administer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's a tough one, because at game speed, Winston's head shot back with the force of the hit. From behind I would assume that it looked like contact with the head. I don't blame the ref. I mildly blame the league. It's a tough rule to administer.
Simple fix, have a ref in the box that can buzz down and say "it was a totally blown call, pick up the flag, Packers ball". The FOX crew and television viewers knew it was a blown call within seconds of it happening. I don't remember who said it, probably Joe Buck, but an easy call to get right with someone upstairs being able to correct it.

Now some are going to argue that this will just slow up what they perceive as already a slowed up game. Well that is when the leagues first has to decide when that call from upstairs can be made and when it can't be. ie....how much did that call effect the game? Change a turnover, first down, score? Remember, this isn't the call coming from down on the field, like a challenge. It is a trained person in he box, with instant video replay seeing something that was blatantly missed and calling down to get it corrected.

Second, I would rather slow the game down a minute or two for each of those bad calls, if it means getting them right and potentially changing the outcome of a game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
as bad as it was i'm still a "get officials with a good eye and the stones to make a call and move on" camp. Slow it down for that one and there will be 2 others that will be just as impactful as as the past season after season of replay has taught us, there will still be controversy even after they make a call half the time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
as bad as it was i'm still a "get officials with a good eye and the stones to make a call and move on" camp. Slow it down for that one and there will be 2 others that will be just as impactful as as the past season after season of replay has taught us, there will still be controversy even after they make a call half the time.
I knew you would eventually chime in ;)

Honestly, I could see them doing away with the whole challenge flag crap and just switching to this and maybe saving time. Those challenge flags are usually tossed out at the last second and then you got refs looking at a tiny little monitor on a sometimes cold, rainy, windy field. Yes, I know they are conferring with New York or wherever now, but simplify it and continue reviewing scoring plays, but let the booth dictated any other "bad calls." 5 instant booth reversals would probably take less time than a coaches challenge for something that doesn't get overturned anyway.

Members online

No members online now.