Three Packers make Pro Bowl.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Our receivers suck. I'm not sure how you can put the blame on Rodgers when he is still putting up Pro Bowl numbers and his receivers simply have no size, speed, or strength to beat press coverage and can't catch. Rodgers is the only thing on this offense that is giving us a chance this year, with his ability to scramble and make plays when the receivers are too slow to get open.

And let's not refer to the performance of the receivers in years past, when defenses adjusted their scheme in order to limit Nelson and opened things up for these guys. The fact that every team plays man against us and shuts the receivers down should tell you something.

Sorry, I disagree. This is as much on Rodgers as everybody else.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, I disagree. This is as much on Rodgers as everybody else.
You realize even the greatest QBs have competition percentages in the 60 pct range? As in, they miss a lot of throws. Criticizing Rodgers for not being absolutely perfect on every rare occasion that a receiver is open or yelling at him for not seeing an open receiver is just an impossible standard to hold him to, since no QB has ever been anywhere close to perfect.

On the other hand, the receivers aren't doing a much more simple job on a consistent basis-getting open and catching the ball. Making the QB's job easier. It's safe to assume that if there were better receivers out there, like Nelson, Rodgers would be doing a much better job.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His play isn't passing the eye test. He's not the same guy this season.
That's what happens when you are surrounded with subpar talent. Brady threw a pick 6, 50% completion, and turned the ball over multiple times against a bad Eagles defense when Gronk was out. And he was talked about like he should hang up his cleats until Gronk made a full recovery last year, then he was regarded as the best QB ever.

He's not the same guy because they are missing #1 WR. It's not like he all of a sudden forgot how to throw a football. If you don't think there's a huge correlation between the two, then you're crazy.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

You realize even the greatest QBs have competition percentages in the 60 pct range? As in, they miss a lot of throws. Criticizing Rodgers for not being absolutely perfect on every rare occasion that a receiver is open or yelling at him for not seeing an open receiver is just an impossible standard to hold him to, since no QB has ever been anywhere close to perfect.

On the other hand, the receivers aren't doing a much more simple job on a consistent basis-getting open and catching the ball. Making the QB's job easier. It's safe to assume that if there were better receivers out there, like Nelson, Rodgers would be doing a much better job.

Whoa there......I DID NOT say this is ALL on Rodgers, but I think it delusional to believe all around are failing HIM. He clearly seems to be missing a half step this season.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He's not the same guy because they are missing #1 WR. It's not like he all of a sudden forgot how to throw a football. If you don't think there's a huge correlation between the two, then you're crazy.
No, he didn't all of a sudden forget how to throw a football but I have never seen him miss so many receivers by a wide margin so often as I have this season - and it’s not when he’s throwing the ball away. If you believe you’re seeing the same pinpoint-accurate Aaron Rodgers that we’ve seen in past seasons I won’t call you crazy but I don’t know what you’re watching. Yes, the receivers are struggling to get open consistently and the OL has been banged up and inconsistent and the running game has been inconsistent. And in addition to all that, Rodgers has missed open receivers like he never has in the past. Thankfully, I’ve seen less of that over the past few games.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So a 10-4 shouldn't have anyone on the pro bowl? Man our fan base can be entitled sometimes. If the team isn't the Super Bowl favorite they are not worthy of any accolades. Has anyone watched enough guard play to say sitton isn't worthy? Maybe 2/3 of the vote, players and coaches, think Rodgers in a down year is still one of the best.

There are always complaints out there but I think often there are just a lot of good players close in grading to each other. I look at the Vikings and they only got 1 guy in and at 9-5 you would expect a couple more. But if you look at it more closely there is a good explanation. There next three best players have missed a quarter of the season with injury. Smith Barr and Joseph all would have had a chance to make it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
So a 10-4 shouldn't have anyone on the pro bowl? Man our fan base can be entitled sometimes. If the team isn't the Super Bowl favorite they are not worthy of any accolades. Has anyone watched enough guard play to say sitton isn't worthy? Maybe 2/3 of the vote, players and coaches, think Rodgers in a down year is still one of the best.
What does a team’s record have to do with whether or not a player on that team deserves to be a pro bowler? The best player at a position could be surrounded by crappy players on a crappy team, but he’s still the best player at his position in spite of his team’s record.

Some Packers fans are certainly spoiled or entitled but IMO that has nothing to do with this. I haven’t watched every game of every OG but I have watched every Packers play – many twice – and I can tell you Sitton’s performance has significantly declined this year, due to injury IMO. All of us have watched Rodgers and you don’t need stats to know he has not been his usual self this season, even taking into account the “talent” around him. BTW, the stats tell the same story. The problem IMO is the voters. The fans are biased and can’t watch anything close to every starter in the league and many lack the ability to evaluate OL play, for example. The coaches and players have the ability but don’t watch every starter in the league either. Why would the Packers players and coaches spend time during the season studying players from teams they don’t play? (The Packers only play 12 of the 31 other teams in the league.) And why would players and coaches study players who play on the same side of the ball they do? That’s why IMO it’s turned into a popularity contest based mostly on previous seasons. If the league wanted an objective process it would probably have to hire some service to do the evaluation.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the league wanted an objective process it would probably have to hire some service to do the evaluation.

This is an interesting idea, that I have never thought of and really like... I wonder how the veteran players who get in on name recognition would like that.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is an interesting idea, that I have never thought of and really like... I wonder how the veteran players who get in on name recognition would like that.
That would probably depend upon how many contracts have bonuses tied to being named to the pro bowl. My guess is that used to be more prevalent before than it is now, but I really don't know.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

There are always complaints out there but I think often there are just a lot of good players close in grading to each other. I look at the Vikings and they only got 1 guy in and at 9-5 you would expect a couple more. But if you look at it more closely there is a good explanation. There next three best players have missed a quarter of the season with injury. Smith Barr and Joseph all would have had a chance to make it.
This is a load of crap. Explain Damarcus Ware. He has missed more time than all three of those Vikings mentioned. Luke Kuechly has missed 3.5 games.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a load of crap. Explain Damarcus Ware. He has missed more time than all three of those Vikings mentioned. Luke Kuechly has missed 3.5 games.
Seriously do you complain every time I comment on the Vikings? There wasnt even anything remotely crap in what I said. I actually said they had 4 Pro Bowl caliber guys but just got unlucky they got hurt when they did. I cant explain Ware other than proven players get the benefit of the doubt too often. I can explain Kuechly. He is maybe the best linebacker in football. None of the 3 Viking players are as good as him in my mind and he didnt miss much more time than them. I would have no argument against them but dont think they got snubbed or anything.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Seriously do you complain every time I comment on the Vikings? There wasnt even anything remotely crap in what I said. I actually said they had 4 Pro Bowl caliber guys but just got unlucky they got hurt when they did. I cant explain Ware other than proven players get the benefit of the doubt too often. I can explain Kuechly. He is maybe the best linebacker in football. None of the 3 Viking players are as good as him in my mind and he didnt miss much more time than them. I would have no argument against them but dont think they got snubbed or anything.
No, I'm pointing out that missing playing time has zero to do with not making the Popularity(Pro) bowl. Players miss playing time every year and make it.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares about The Pro Bowl? How many people actually watch it? How many players refuse to play in it (a very smart decision btw)? All Pro teams selected by the AP or Sporting News are more prestigious, more indicative of excellence, and don't carry the risk of injury in a meaningless exhibition. I would imagine there are big bonuses paid for inclusion on a first or second team All Pro list--especially the Sporting News' lists that are recognized by the NFL in its official players records. The Pro Bowl popularity poll and game ought to join the "Losers Bowl" in the NFL scrapheap.

Rogers won't be an All Pro this year, which he's been 3 times so far in his career (currently tied with no. 4) . But if you believe in QBR, he currently ranks 8th in the league, which isn't bad for an "off year".

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay deserves it no question. Through the first half of the year, he was a candidate for DPOY. He has leveled off, but is still playing very well.

Rodgers has also put up Pro Bowl numbers. We are just used to him be so amazing, that it seems like he's not doing well.

I'd say that Shields, Daniels, Raji, and Peppers have all played a Pro Bowl level also. I don't know how they compare to other guys at their positions though.

Clay Matthews is an average inside linebacker, at best. He's one of the best 5 OLBs in the NFL but he hasn't played that position. He leads the Packers in missed tackles and he's not very good at actually hitting the correct gaps in the run game. The decision to move him inside was necessary last year but the fact that nobody was brought in to allow him to move outside is one of the more baffling decisions made this past offseason; apparently the Packers were content to marginalize their best defensive player and hurt the team at two positions (since bringing in a decent ILB would have improved both ILB and OLB).

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay Matthews is an average inside linebacker, at best. He's one of the best 5 OLBs in the NFL but he hasn't played that position. He leads the Packers in missed tackles and he's not very good at actually hitting the correct gaps in the run game. The decision to move him inside was necessary last year but the fact that nobody was brought in to allow him to move outside is one of the more baffling decisions made this past offseason; apparently the Packers were content to marginalize their best defensive player and hurt the team at two positions (since bringing in a decent ILB would have improved both ILB and OLB).

Considering the Packers currently have a rookie starting at ILB, it's completely false to say nobody was brought in. The injury to Barrington early on makes Clay playing inside necessary.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
A late 4th rounder. Problem solved.
Mike Daniels was taken three picks later in the 2012 draft. Just say'n. IMO Thompson and staff saw Randall and Rollins as better values (and also needs BTW) than the ILBs available at those picks. And I believed them when they said Ryan was a good value where he was picked. We really won't know for a season or two IMO.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Daniels was taken three picks later in the 2012 draft. Just say'n. IMO Thompson and staff saw Randall and Rollins as better values (and also needs BTW) than the ILBs available at those picks. And I believed them when they said Ryan was a good value where he was picked. We really won't know for a season or two IMO.
I hear the kid drafted by the Saints was impressive. Fine about Daniels, but I don't know how that addresses Ryan, or the half arsed attempt to fill a need.
I like Randall and Rollins, but wouldn't you consider them lateral moves and not improvements to the team at positions of need? The reason they were picked was because Williams and House were allowed to walk, thereby creating an additional hole.
Safety wasn't taken care of for what, 3 years? TE is heading into year 3 as a sore spot. ILB is still an issue. There's too much 'on the cheap and coach 'em up' IMO.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear the kid drafted by the Saints was impressive. Fine about Daniels, but I don't know how that addresses Ryan, or the half arsed attempt to fill a need.
I like Randall and Rollins, but wouldn't you consider them lateral moves and not improvements to the team at positions of need? The reason they were picked was because Williams and House were allowed to walk, thereby creating an additional hole.
Safety wasn't taken care of for what, 3 years? TE is heading into year 3 as a sore spot. ILB is still an issue. There's too much 'on the cheap and coach 'em up' IMO.

Paying too much for House and Williams wouldn't have made sense either. Randall and Rollins are probably both better than House already too.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paying too much for House and Williams wouldn't have made sense either. Randall and Rollins are probably both better than House already too.

Agree on Williams and House. It seems like this team is always chasing or holding the line instead of being aggressive and getting over the hump.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Fine about Daniels, but I don't know how that addresses Ryan, or the half arsed attempt to fill a need.
It was a response to your posting, "A late 4th rounder. Problem solved." Daniels was taken at almost the exact same point in the draft and as a late 4th rounder he did solve a problem.

Members online

Latest posts