Thoughts About Last Week's Game

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Been a week or so since I've been on here so I thought I would post my thoughts on last week's game if anyone is interested.

-Even though it may seem minor, I think it was big that Crosby was able to drill all three FGs even though they were all fairly easy. Crosby is definitely a confidence guy and going 3/3 is always a confidence boost.

-There seemed to be a lot of blown coverages. Too often there would be wide, wide open receivers for Carolina.

-Desmond Bishop's roughing the passer was a bad call.

-Speaking of Bishop, he's really good against the run. Sheds offensive linemen well and is a very sure tackler. He's also a great blitzer. Probably the most underrated guy on the team.

-If Tramon Williams is defending Lafell on the 1st touchdown, it's an INT. Jarrett Bush was in good position but did not turn his head and find the ball.

-We are really struggling to get a pass-rush. Matthews is being double-teamed almost every play and no one else is stepping up to win their one-on-ones. We miss Jenkins in that area. Need Jones or Walden to step up.

-Jim Mora is not a very good color guy. At one point, he was talking about how it was a good thing that the Panthers committed a holding penalty when they were two yards from the end zone. I couldn't follow what he was saying at all.

-That 1st quarter was a perfect storm for Carolina but our D holding them to two FGs was huge. Very good red zone D by us.

-Even when we were down 13-0, the team seemed very calm. Rodgers was still joking on the sideline and nobody seemed panicky or tight.

-Starks is a much better runner than Grant is right now. Plus, Starks was in on the no-huddle which must mean they trust him enough in pass protection.

-Like 90% of NFL fans, I was shocked to see that the Panthers gave $72 million to something named Charles Johnson. After watching the game, I see why they did give him that money. He's an athletic pass-rusher who doesn't give up on plays. Still not worth $72 mil but a very good player.

-Special teams coverage was much improved this week.

-Morgan Burnett is very hit-or-miss. I feel like he was responsible for a few of the blown coverages but you can see he's really athletic and can hit people.

-Run D was about as good as it gets.

It was obviously not our best game yet we still managed to put up 30 points on the road. This reminded me a lot of the Miami and Washington games last year. Their composure and poise was impressive in what was an awful start to the game. It might be that the offense carries the team this year, much like the D did last year. I'm not panicked about our pass D but it is concerning that we've given up over 800 yards through two games. The blame falls on both the pass rush (blitzes specifically) and the secondary.

Carolina is an improved team who could win 5 or 6 games this year. A win is a win, and if we play somewhere between New Orleans and Carolina, I think we beat the Bears.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well put.
Done without complaining. Nice.

I would like to add that the Packers have won 8 in a row.
They are the best team in the NFL right now.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Great points indeed.

I didn't get to watch the game, but I was panicking watching the game tracker seeing Carolina up 0-13 on us, but what really scared me was McCarthy going for it on 4th down and not getting it near the end of the 2nd quarter. That had me worried, cause he isn't a coach to do that often, and we all known it's come back to haunt Bill Bilechek more than once.

OP
OP
Future

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
Well put.
Done without complaining. Nice.

I would like to add that the Packers have won 8 in a row.
They are the best team in the NFL right now.

I think we're top 2 right now. The Patriots look very good as well though I believe our D is a notch better than Ninkovich and co.

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great points indeed.

I didn't get to watch the game, but I was panicking watching the game tracker seeing Carolina up 0-13 on us, but what really scared me was McCarthy going for it on 4th down and not getting it near the end of the 2nd quarter. That had me worried, cause he isn't a coach to do that often, and we all known it's come back to haunt Bill Bilechek more than once.

I was surprised to see McCarthy come out and say he made the wrong call there. It was in his weekly Q&A column on Packers.com, he said it was too risky at that point.

BoilerUp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-Even when we were down 13-0, the team seemed very calm. Rodgers was still joking on the sideline and nobody seemed panicky or tight.

I completely agree with this. Even though we were down 13 to 0 I never really was worried or anything. Each time I thought good job D, you were put in a tough spot and only let up 3 points (other than the first drive). I have so much confidence in Aaron and the the rest of the offense that it's ok if we go down early, we definitely have the fire power to come back.

Were we down 13 to 0 at the end of the 1st? I don't really remember, i just remember that I think we only had 2 possesions in the 1st quarter, which I think speaks pretty decently for our D to only hold them to 13 points. The D would have had 3-4 sacks if the QB wasn't Cam Newton, he ran out when we would get really good pressure on him.

And my last point is I was really happy to see Mike stay with the running game even though we were down early. I swear every time Starks touches that ball it's almost a guaranteed 8 yards!

GBPack90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I completely agree with this. Even though we were down 13 to 0 I never really was worried or anything. Each time I thought good job D, you were put in a tough spot and only let up 3 points (other than the first drive). I have so much confidence in Aaron and the the rest of the offense that it's ok if we go down early, we definitely have the fire power to come back.

Were we down 13 to 0 at the end of the 1st? I don't really remember, i just remember that I think we only had 2 possesions in the 1st quarter, which I think speaks pretty decently for our D to only hold them to 13 points. The D would have had 3-4 sacks if the QB wasn't Cam Newton, he ran out when we would get really good pressure on him.

And my last point is I was really happy to see Mike stay with the running game even though we were down early. I swear every time Starks touches that ball it's almost a guaranteed 8 yards!

I agree with them being calm after going down 13-0, I on the other hand was not..

OP
OP
Future

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score

Yes and we only had one possession in the first quarter.

Footballoutsiders.com (a kind of sabermetrics for football) has Starks as the most efficient running back in the league by a decent margin over the #2 back.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
-Jim Mora is not a very good color guy.
No kidding – IMO this qualifies as understatement.

- Morgan Burnett is very hit-or-miss. I feel like he was responsible for a few of the blown coverages but you can see he's really athletic and can hit people.
This is what Pro Football Weekly had to say about Burnett: “In the first two weeks of the season, Burnett might have been the Packers' best defender. Playing much more aggressively in his second season, he came up with a sack and two huge takeaways (interception and fumble recovery) in Green Bay's too-close-for-comfort 30-23 victory over the Panthers.” Burnett also had a tackle for loss last Sunday. And that came after a 7 tackle, 7 assist performance in the season opener.

OP
OP
Future

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
No kidding – IMO this qualifies as understatement.

This is what Pro Football Weekly had to say about Burnett: “In the first two weeks of the season, Burnett might have been the Packers' best defender. Playing much more aggressively in his second season, he came up with a sack and two huge takeaways (interception and fumble recovery) in Green Bay's too-close-for-comfort 30-23 victory over the Panthers.” Burnett also had a tackle for loss last Sunday. And that came after a 7 tackle, 7 assist performance in the season opener.

It's clear that he can be a playmaker but he gave up that long pass to Greg Olsen (not entirely his fault, he shouldn't be put in that situation). Thanks for posting the tidbit though, cool stuff.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Great points indeed.

I didnt like the play either...It was a medium pass on sideline...A screen, a cross to Finley something more high % would have been better...But if it did work MM would been a genius
lol

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Been a week or so since I've been on here so I thought I would post my thoughts on last week's game if anyone is interested.

-Even though it may seem minor, I think it was big that Crosby was able to drill all three FGs even though they were all fairly easy. Crosby is definitely a confidence guy and going 3/3 is always a confidence boost.

-There seemed to be a lot of blown coverages. Too often there would be wide, wide open receivers for Carolina.
That is my point about not having Tramon in there...I havent seen that many blown coverages in a while, and the common factor is Tramon wasnt there..Maybe it still would have happened on one or 2, but there were a lot in the Panther game..

-Desmond Bishop's roughing the passer was a bad call.
I thought Des did a text book tackle as well..But watching the replay, what I think made it a flag was he lifted him up..Or at least it appeared to me he lifted Cam up then drove him into the ground..Anyone else think he might have lifted him up some?? It might have been slight but I recall him doing that

-Speaking of Bishop, he's really good against the run. Sheds offensive linemen well and is a very sure tackler. He's also a great blitzer. Probably the most underrated guy on the team.
Much better then Nick ever was if you ask me...

-If Tramon Williams is defending Lafell on the 1st touchdown, it's an INT. Jarrett Bush was in good position but did not turn his head and find the ball.
So you are admitting that Tramon not there really hurt us...Even if we dont score on the "Tramon int" it turns the whole game around...Panthers dont kick off, and we dont fumble and the Panthers dont go up 13-0

-We are really struggling to get a pass-rush. Matthews is being double-teamed almost every play and no one else is stepping up to win their one-on-ones. We miss Jenkins in that area. Need Jones or Walden to step up.
I agree 100% about missing Jenkins, I brought it up when he left...That is about the only non move the Pack have done in ages, that really pissed me off...I know they have their reasons, but it doesnt make sense right now

-That 1st quarter was a perfect storm for Carolina but our D holding them to two FGs was huge. Very good red zone D by us.
The Packers werent truly prepared for how Cam could play..I think they wanted him to beat them and concentrate on stopping the run..By the time they figured out they needed to adjust, that is when it started to turn

-Starks is a much better runner than Grant is right now. Plus, Starks was in on the no-huddle which must mean they trust him enough in pass protection.
Starks will get the bulk of carries each week until it is very very apparent Grant is no longer the starter..And in my eyes, that is already happening.

-Morgan Burnett is very hit-or-miss. I feel like he was responsible for a few of the blown coverages but you can see he's really athletic and can hit people.
He is still young and that stuff will happen....Didnt play a ton last year cuz of the injury..This year no offseason stuff to help him along...By midseason he will show you why they picked him

I'm not panicked about our pass D but it is concerning that we've given up over 800 yards through two games. The blame falls on both the pass rush (blitzes specifically) and the secondary.

As you and I have talked about b4...I think the 400 yards vs the Panthers was skewed w/o Tramon in there..Then the last drive w/o Collins really hurt as it led to a td and another 80 yards..

From the time the Panthers scored 13, they didnt score anymore points until Collins left

Then you add in NO and Panthers needed to pass at the end to score brings up the #'s Anytime your up by at least a TD with less then a few minutes to go, that team 99% of the time will pass..And they could get 80 yards or so real fast..

OP
OP
Future

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
That is my point about not having Tramon in there...I havent seen that many blown coverages in a while, and the common factor is Tramon wasnt there..Maybe it still would have happened on one or 2, but there were a lot in the Panther game..

I thought Des did a text book tackle as well..But watching the replay, what I think made it a flag was he lifted him up..Or at least it appeared to me he lifted Cam up then drove him into the ground..Anyone else think he might have lifted him up some?? It might have been slight but I recall him doing that

Much better then Nick ever was if you ask me...

So you are admitting that Tramon not there really hurt us...Even if we dont score on the "Tramon int" it turns the whole game around...Panthers dont kick off, and we dont fumble and the Panthers dont go up 13-0

I agree 100% about missing Jenkins, I brought it up when he left...That is about the only non move the Pack have done in ages, that really pissed me off...I know they have their reasons, but it doesnt make sense right now

The Packers werent truly prepared for how Cam could play..I think they wanted him to beat them and concentrate on stopping the run..By the time they figured out they needed to adjust, that is when it started to turn

Starks will get the bulk of carries each week until it is very very apparent Grant is no longer the starter..And in my eyes, that is already happening.

He is still young and that stuff will happen....Didnt play a ton last year cuz of the injury..This year no offseason stuff to help him along...By midseason he will show you why they picked him

As you and I have talked about b4...I think the 400 yards vs the Panthers was skewed w/o Tramon in there..Then the last drive w/o Collins really hurt as it led to a td and another 80 yards..

From the time the Panthers scored 13, they didnt score anymore points until Collins left

Then you add in NO and Panthers needed to pass at the end to score brings up the #'s Anytime your up by at least a TD with less then a few minutes to go, that team 99% of the time will pass..And they could get 80 yards or so real fast..

The play where I thought Tramon would have had a pick was maybe a 10 yard play? It wouldn't have affected the total yardage very much.

Des is a big hitter and driving Cam into the ground was what got the flag. I see why they threw it but to me they should've let it go.

And the last drive the Panthers had was by far the worst because of that 60 yard bomb we gave up to Steve Smith. Regardless if Collins, Tyrone Culver or Marquand Manuel are in there, we should not be giving up plays over the top in that situation.

Also, I don't want you to think I have anything personal against you, I just hold a different opinion. I enjoy your posts and am amazed that you, among others, took the time to read that novel I printed up there.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The play where I thought Tramon would have had a pick was maybe a 10 yard play? It wouldn't have affected the total yardage very much.
Yardage wouldnt have changed but the score would have..

If your talking about Panthers 1st TD, in prev post you said Tramon would have picked it off...

So Panthers dont score, then we dont fumble insuing kick off and they dont get that FG and make it 10-0 right away..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgaz...ars-O-line?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|PKR-News

This was posted on another thread..But bears repeating considering it echoes my thoughts and is communicated a lot better then I was doing

That their pass rush was little more than a minor nuisance to Drew Brees and Cam Newton might not be reason enough for defensive coordinator Dom Capers to be concerned.

Looking back, when you watch the tape, we’ve got a ton of quarterback pressures and hits, even when we played New Orleans,” Packers defensive end Ryan Pickett said Friday. “We sacked Drew Brees three times, and he gets rid of the ball quick. You can’t really get to Cam the way he steps up and runs the ball, so it’s hard to gauge the pass rush from that.

This is my argument with Tramon being gone that hurt the Pack vs the Panthers, and we that we got some pressure on Cam

Capers also was handcuffed last week because he couldn’t blitz cornerback Charles Woodson. Without cornerback Tramon Williams, who missed the game because of a bruised shoulder, Woodson was needed exclusively in coverage. “We were a different defensive team last week with Tramon out of there,” Capers said.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Definitely. Just so long as he doesn't get hit in the backfield, he's golden.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
My final thoughts of the Panthers game, the W will help in December and thats that its in the past.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts