Thompson

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Several years ago I moved from Wisconsin South to a resort area so people from back home come down from time to time on vacation. One year a group of golfers from my high school team made it down and we went out and split up teams and knocked the white ball around.

I was up against the guy that was the #1 player on our golf team when I was a sophmore. He's a good player but I was having a great day and we were about even going into the last couple of holes. Matt's about 140 out and hitting like nine iron into the green. He hits this horrible sounding shot which gets about half as high as he was looking for that bounces ten yards in front of the green, rolls up the right side, down the slope, and ends up two feet from the cup. It felt like the shot took five minutes.

Matt looks over at me smiling and says "ugly............but BIG boobs."

Now Ted Thompson shows up in Green Bay with that hair and those eyes. Many aren't certain if it was him or Holmgren that really built the Seahawks.
He gives Sherman a reassuring extension and then fires him for Mike "who again"? He ****** off J. Walker and let's what many Packers feel is the best guard tandem EVER get away.
His answer for getting The Might One help on offense? Of course, he immediately goes after DEFENSIVE guys.

He won't spend money in FA but signs Woodson whose probably seen his best days. He replaces another FA mistake with a somebody that looks like he got off a boat from a country with no indoor plumbing and the guys run around wearing flowery shirts with multi-colored birds on their shoulders.

He ultimately guts the center of the offense other than Favre replacing Henderson with a guy that's never played fullback and A. Green with a guy for a six round pick that probably wouldn't have made the team he was on anyways and three lineman who never played a professional football game before.

He's drafted like one guy (Hawk) that anyone thought he would and nobody knows anything about most of the rest of 'em and has this INSANE habit of choosing players who happens to play the position that seems the DEEPEST we have in the FIRST FREAKING round every year.

But here we are boys, belly up to the bar, NFC North Champs, winners of EIGHTEEN of the last twenty two, and the youngest team in the NFL. We can all stand around and voice our opinions all we want but all I can say is this " we might be talking ugly.....but BIG boobs."

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heh. I'm not a boobs man so that analogy doesn't work for me.

But I get what you're saying.

I don't care how we win, as long as we don't win by cheating. I just care that we win. 2008 will be the true test of Ted Thompson. Can we win without Favre? If we can, then all the doubters need to shut up. If we can't, then the doubters actually were making good points.

I'm guessing we can. I'm praying Rodgers, Grant, Driver, Jennings, Lee, Kampman, Hawk, Harris, Woodson, Barnett, et cetera all stay healthy. If so, we should at least win the Wild Card round of the Playoffs.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heh. I'm not a boobs man so that analogy doesn't work for me.

But I get what you're saying.

I don't care how we win, as long as we don't win by cheating. I just care that we win. 2008 will be the true test of Ted Thompson. Can we win without Favre? If we can, then all the doubters need to shut up. If we can't, then the doubters actually were making good points.

I'm guessing we can. I'm praying Rodgers, Grant, Driver, Jennings, Lee, Kampman, Hawk, Harris, Woodson, Barnett, et cetera all stay healthy. If so, we should at least win the Wild Card round of the Playoffs.

We are BETTER than the other teams in the North and will win the North. Minny and the Bears are still without QB's that can get it done and Detroit is Detroit.
I believe that what is going unnoticed because it isn't as **** as signing an All Pro DE is the fact that GB will be coming back with essentially the same team of young players with one more year under their belts. Will Jennings, Hawk, Jones, Poppinga, Spitz, Colledge, Bigby, Rouse, Bush, Grant, Jackson, Harrell, Blackmon, all not be better players this next year? They were all basically KIDS last year just getting started in this league.

I'll take 10 or 12 guys improving with experience over the addition of one or two guys that might help a team any day.

And that's why McCarthy believes they will be better than last year and I think he's right.

There's definately more to it than BF just pulling a huge year out his rear end. There's a LOT of reasons he did what he did last year. Buying into the scheme in the first place being one of them.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post, warhawk. There is a chance that last year was a bit of a fluke and the Packers will come back down to earth, like the Saints did, but I think we'll be fine.

During Thompson's first year as GM, my sister was at Lambeau Field before a game and here comes this older guy riding his bike through the parking lot, and as he passes by, she notices that it is Ted Thompson. He continues riding his bike right on through one of the gates into the stadium.

I wonder how many NFL GM's ride their bicycle to the stadium? My sister's thought was, "This guy is either out to lunch or he's some kind of weird genius." So far it's looking more like the latter. Let's hope so.

OP
OP
W

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Good post, warhawk. There is a chance that last year was a bit of a fluke and the Packers will come back down to earth, like the Saints did, but I think we'll be fine.

During Thompson's first year as GM, my sister was at Lambeau Field before a game and here comes this older guy riding his bike through the parking lot, and as he passes by, she notices that it is Ted Thompson. He continues riding his bike right on through one of the gates into the stadium.

I wonder how many NFL GM's ride their bicycle to the stadium? My sister's thought was, "This guy is either out to lunch or he's some kind of weird genius." So far it's looking more like the latter. Let's hope so.

What I get a kick out of is all the insanity his insanity has caused. I know three or four guys that hung around here that are probably bouncing off rubber walls somewhere because of him.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are BETTER than the other teams in the North and will win the North. Minny and the Bears are still without QB's that can get it done and Detroit is Detroit.
I believe that what is going unnoticed because it isn't as **** as signing an All Pro DE is the fact that GB will be coming back with essentially the same team of young players with one more year under their belts. Will Jennings, Hawk, Jones, Poppinga, Spitz, Colledge, Bigby, Rouse, Bush, Grant, Jackson, Harrell, Blackmon, all not be better players this next year? They were all basically KIDS last year just getting started in this league.

I'll take 10 or 12 guys improving with experience over the addition of one or two guys that might help a team any day.

And that's why McCarthy believes they will be better than last year and I think he's right.

There's definately more to it than BF just pulling a huge year out his rear end. There's a LOT of reasons he did what he did last year. Buying into the scheme in the first place being one of them.

Oh, agreed we'll win the North. But you can win a division and still have to fight in the Wild Card round.

As for us improving from within, agreed. We may have a shot at winning the SB this year.

However, I'm the kind of guy who has lower predictions, then when we surpass those expectations, the year is magical. For instance, I said 8-8 last year. We smoked that, and '07 was one of my favorite years watching the Packers so far.

I'm predicting 10-6 and losing the 2nd round of Playoffs this year. Hopefully we smoke that.

Members online

Latest posts