This explains the Packers running game

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a lot of frustration on this board with the Packers running game.
I don't blame you.
I would like to see massive yardage more often on more carries as well.
But if you look at what's posted below that should clear up some things why Mike does what he does with the run.
May not be the best thing, but it seems to be working for the strategy they have.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ask-vic/article-1/They-are-who-I-thought-they-were/84d0ca31-34fe-4a29-8ddf-5282136b9e0e

Nick from Water Mill, NY
Vic, I see Green's run average this past Sunday wasn't great, yet, he still had a lot of touches. Does a higher run average affect the defense's respecting the run more than the amount of touches, or doesn't it matter? Also, can an offense be considered to have pass/run balance regardless of yards per carry?
The balance between run and pass is determined solely by the attempts for each. When you display a commitment to the running game, you make the front seven respect the run. When you rush for big chunks, you make the safeties respect the run. Merely attempting to run the ball will help slow the pass rush. If you want to be able to sell play-action, as it pertains to the deep ball, you need to run for big chunks.

Go here to see a video:
http://www.packers.com/media-center...-protect/2af42dad-28f6-46e0-8111-e79d1a34db0a

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That just solidifies the fact that a better run game helps in all areas. The only thing our poor run game does now is somewhat slow the pass rush. A decent run game would open up play action and give Rodgers a lot more time. In general it would open up so much more of the play book.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't have an elite running back, but I doubt Adrian Peterson would do well behind this offensive line right now. It's near the bottom of the league in both run blocking and pass blocking: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol What I don't get is that the line can be great, as against Houston and Chicago; and they can stink other weeks. Either the players just don't get up for games, or there is poor preparation, schemes and line calls. Probably, it's all of the above. It's up to MM to fix it, which is exactly what he did at the end of 2010.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year we had a combined rushing total of over 1,150 yards out of Grant and Starks. Not great but certainly better than this year. So far this year through half a season we have 450 yards from Benson and Green. Benson would have helped our play action.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
We don't have an elite running back, but I doubt Adrian Peterson would do well behind this offensive line right now. It's near the bottom of the league in both run blocking and pass blocking: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol What I don't get is that the line can be great, as against Houston and Chicago; and they can stink other weeks. Either the players just don't get up for games, or there is poor preparation, schemes and line calls. Probably, it's all of the above. It's up to MM to fix it, which is exactly what he did at the end of 2010.

Arod got smoked during the Bears game. They sacked him like mad....we also sacked the crap out of cutler

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last season we ranked 27th in league rushing, and we currently rank 22nd.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our o-line can't block and the backs don't have vision or power...that's why. All you have to do is watch a Packers game to see why they can't run the ball.

Green and Yellow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Running the ball effectively would benefit us unbelievable; it would greatly improve our PA success, force DBs to think twice about bump n running the WRs, would help move the chains consistently, and would make pass blocking easier for the line. I don't know how a offensive line as talented as ours gets abused like it does.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Running the ball effectively would benefit us unbelievable; it would greatly improve our PA success, force DBs to think twice about bump n running the WRs, would help move the chains consistently, and would make pass blocking easier for the line. I don't know how a offensive line as talented as ours gets abused like it does.

According to some ppl it's not that important to be able to run the ball.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know who your comment is targeted at rodell330, but I'll address it regardless. Some of us believe that running the ball is not as important as throwing the ball in today's game - the distinction is between "not that important" and "not important as the passing game." I believe that you still need to make the effort and pick up yards, but not if it decreases your passing production.

AP could gain yards behind this line. He's not running behind anything arguably better in Minneapolis. Benson was showing good progress before getting hurt. Let's not forget that he had zero acclamation time with this offense and only had a handful of games before injury. A good running back would be very effective in this offense. We'd all love Emmitt Smith behind Rodgers who throws to Jerry Rice. It's just not always feasible in today's NFL that aspires to ensure parity amongst teams.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We just need to draft better at rb...TT has yet to draft a guy that can replace Ahman Green.

so in all fairness he deserves (TT) a lot of blame to for this sorry run game. If you are not going to draft a guy to be the "gu"....then go find a guy to be the "guy". get it guy? ha. Yes he signed Ced Benson but he's injured so now he has a chnace to fix it, but he will prolly just be cool with what we have. Lack thereof

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Green is only one year removed from knee reconstruction. The packers think he has alot of upside and is our back of the future. So why not give him the experience now early on in the season just as they are having to do with all the young guys on Def. I believe that MM and TT think he will develop and are committed to giving him the time just as they are with other players. He has shown flashes of the speed he is capable of when he hits the hole. He just has to learn to find the spot and make his cut. Time will tell.

TT already went to FA once for a back. I would be stunned if he were to eat up cap going after another this late in the season. Our run game is what it is IMHO.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Our o-line can't block and the backs don't have vision or power...that's why. All you have to do is watch a Packers game to see why they can't run the ball.

Our line might be poorly ranked, but Benson was doing ok behind it. 3.5 ypc. Also, Cobb's three touches went for 20+ yards each time. Even Kuhn has an average of 3.5 ypc.

But, Green sits below 3 ypc.

One thing I noticed is that, most of the time, Green goes down immediately after first contact. He does not stiff arm, bullrush, or bounce off of anyone. He displays no agility, spins, or balance of any special ability. Except for once this season, IIRC, he never displays any effort to juke past a defender. He simply runs straight forward, gives the defender a good straight-line upright target and gets tackled. Several times last Sunday, he was out in the open (check down passes) but he failed to break a single tackle or avoid the first defender. Sure, he averaged 12 yards on his four passes, but he simply doesn't show the capability or desire to break one open.

To me, that is what is missing. A better o-line would be great, but if the RB had a bit more thirst, that would be equally beneficial.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our line might be poorly ranked, but Benson was doing ok behind it. 3.5 ypc. Also, Cobb's three touches went for 20+ yards each time. Even Kuhn has an average of 3.5 ypc.

One thing I noticed is that, most of the time, Green goes down immediately after first contact. He does not stiff arm, bullrush, or bounce off of anyone. He displays no agility, spins, or balance of any special ability. Except for once this season, IIRC, he never displays any effort to juke past a defender. He simply runs straight forward, gives the defender a good straight-line upright target and gets tackled. Several times last Sunday, he was out in the open (check down passes) but he failed to break a single tackle or avoid the first defender. Sure, he averaged 12 yards on his four passes, but he simply doesn't show the capability or desire to break one open.

To me, that is what is missing. A better o-line would be great, but if the RB had a bit more thirst, that would be equally beneficial.

Exactly. You know who runs hard? Frank Gore runs hard, Marshaw lynch runs hard, and Dimarco murray runs hard. We just need somone like that. No tip toe burgalars

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT hasn't put much commitment into drafting a RB. He's drafted three guys so far with DeShawn Wynn in the 7th round, James Starks in the 6th round, and now Alex Green in the 3rd. One could argue that the 2008 6th round pick he traded for Ryan Grant amounts to a draft. Knowing that he hasn't chased RBs in the draft, one must then determine if there is blame to be placed or whether this is part of a strategic plan managed by TT, MM, and the Packers staff. As a group they might have decided to place a lower priority on drafting RBs, hoping that one of their lower round picks would work. However, I don't think that our coaching staff does anywhere near as good of a job at schooling RBs as it does in schooling QBs.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You are exactly right about Green. Another thing Starks per carry average is even worse. Benson was thirsty.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT hasn't put much commitment into drafting a RB. He's drafted three guys so far with DeShawn Wynn in the 7th round, James Starks in the 6th round, and now Alex Green in the 3rd. One could argue that the 2008 6th round pick he traded for Ryan Grant amounts to a draft. Knowing that he hasn't chased RBs in the draft, one must then determine if there is blame to be placed or whether this is part of a strategic plan managed by TT, MM, and the Packers staff. As a group they might have decided to place a lower priority on drafting RBs, hoping that one of their lower round picks would work. However, I don't think that our coaching staff does anywhere near as good of a job at schooling RBs as it does in schooling QBs.

I think you've hit it on the head--the staff has placed a lower emphasis on running backs. While a running game helps the rest of the offense, it makes sense to play smart with your limited resources (draft picks and cap space.)

1) Running backs have a very short shelf life in the NFL, so spending high picks on a running back is 'wasteful' compared to a quarterback, pass rusher, etc.

2) There is little to no correlation between a strong running game and making the playoffs.

The 3.5 yards a carry Benson was and Kuhn is averaging is sufficient in this offense. And likely all the more those two would average, as they both lack break away speed, so they aren't going to get man 40 yard runs to bring up the average.

2.5 from Green is bad, but I'm willing to cut him slack. His rookie year was cut short due to the ACL injury. I believe the game he hurt it was the first game where he played from scrimmage. If he's still struggling like this at the end of the year, we can question if he's only a 3rd down back. Regarding "not stiff arming" and such, I'll give him slightly longer. He's probably not mentally over the ACL yet. That's normal and why most people say it takes 18 to 24 months to completely get over it.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he signed Ced Benson but he's injured so now he has a chnace to fix it, but he will prolly just be cool with what we have. Lack thereof

That's narrow minded. How?

While there might be a one or two diamonds in the rough stocking shelves somewhere, it is safe to say if you're not on a roster this time of year, you aren't good enough to play.

If you're talking about a trade, those are unlikely. The only two that are purported available, Jackson and Williams, are old for running backs and have high cap numbers. Either would effectively be a one year rental.

Even a fourth round linebacker/safety/tight end that can just play special teams in 2013 has more long term value than one of those guys. It keeps the cap number low enough to pay the super-stars (Matthews and Rodgers) that are the difference makers.

Reaction score
McCarthy has preached this concept since '07. It's all about keeping the safeties and linebackers honest.

A bad run game could actually benefit Rodgers as long as the Packers stuck to the concept of "attempts"... The safeties and linebackers get bloodthirsty on every play that they think is a run since half of them don't even get back to the line of scrimmage:)

Reaction score
People forget why TT drafted Green. He was a spread option runner. At Hawaii he took runs out of the shotgun and did screens. Everything a 3rd down running back does. He was drafted to be our 3rd down running back. He is being forced to be our 3 down back. I think we have to wait till Starks gets healthy and run him about 10-15 times with green working the shotgun.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow.. You guys have pretty much hit the nail on the head in this thread already. Not sure what to add.

But my one question is how come the Patriots new found rushing game this year hasn't helped them to a better record? Or more success for Tom Brady? They have a top 5 rushing attack per game yet we have a better record then them? *Seattle Debacle

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's narrow minded. How?

While there might be a one or two diamonds in the rough stocking shelves somewhere, it is safe to say if you're not on a roster this time of year, you aren't good enough to play.

If you're talking about a trade, those are unlikely. The only two that are purported available, Jackson and Williams, are old for running backs and have high cap numbers. Either would effectively be a one year rental.

Even a fourth round linebacker/safety/tight end that can just play special teams in 2013 has more long term value than one of those guys. It keeps the cap number low enough to pay the super-stars (Matthews and Rodgers) that are the difference makers.

He doesn't have to bring in any high priced guy's....don't know why you guy's keep throwing those two names out i know they are pricey. Anyways....there are guy's out there like Ivory, Ingram, Ben Tate, Kendall hunter, and Ronnie Brown just to name a few who could be upgrades over what we have, and guess what? wait for it....wait for it....they're not even high priced guys!!!!!:tup:

Members online

Latest posts