The underutilization of Aaron Jones is getting old

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This is something that I just cannot wrap my head around.

Aaron Jones is obviously a very dynamic player. Both in the run game and the pass game.

So why is he not being utilized more in the offense?

Coming into this game, Aaron Jones had 61 carries for 309 yards, averaging 6.4 yards per carry. Even after 9/19 today, he's still averaging 5.8 yards per carry.

In the passing game, he only has 23 total targets.

All together, he averages 11.7 carries per game and 3.8 targets. That's a tick above 15 touches per game.

I'm sorry....but this is just flatly unacceptable. I think it's safe to say that Aaron Jones is the most dynamic player offensive skill player on the Packers. So why on Earth is he not getting more touches? For the life of me, I just cannot make this make any kind of sense.

Add to this, I seen a stat the other day where the Packers are 20-0 when Jones receives 15 or more carries. I know there's factors involved in this such as when the run game is really working, obviously that typically translates to a lot of wins. But still. It is what it is.

FEED this guy the ball more in the running and passing game. Why is this so difficult?

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Aaron Jones is obviously a very dynamic player. Both in the run game and the pass game.

Coming into this game, Aaron Jones had 61 carries for 309 yards, averaging 6.4 yards per carry. Even after 9/19 today, he's still averaging 5.8 yards per carry.

All together, he averages 11.7 carries per game and 3.8 targets. That's a tick above 15 touches per game.

I'm sorry....but this is just flatly unacceptable. I think it's safe to say that Aaron Jones is the most dynamic player offensive skill player on the Packers. So why on Earth is he not getting more touches? For the life of me, I just cannot make this make any kind of sense.

Add to this, I seen a stat the other day where the Packers are 20-0 when Jones receives 15 or more carries. I know there's factors involved in this such as when the run game is really working, obviously that typically translates to a lot of wins. But still. It is what it is.

FEED this guy the ball more in the running and passing game. Why is this so difficult?
That’s on lafluer he refuses to give his best player the ball and Dillon gets the ball more than jones it’s ridiculous

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had to be hurting in this game. There's virtually no other reason why not to give him more snaps, especially after getting roasted all of last week for not giving him more. Ugh.

Reaction score
That’s on lafluer he refuses to give his best player the ball and Dillon gets the ball more than jones it’s ridiculous
See I think they both can tote the rock.

That duo should really rarely if ever have less than about 25+- rushing plays combined. Unless we’re just eating an opponent alive in the passing game or we’re behind 28-3 at halftime etc..

The issue I’m starting to see now is opponents have figured out that we have zero vertical game. We might get 1 big play all day and so they just all move towards the LOS and crowd the short stuff.

I’m not sure what’s up with Watson but when healthy, I’d have him mainly specializing on deep patterns. Until we hit him for a 50 yard at noone will respect the Packers

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that it's mind-boggling the Packers don't get Jones involved more often. In the seven games Adams missed from 2019-21 he was targeted a total of 47 times while carrying the ball 101 times for an average of 21 touches per game.

See I think they both can tote the rock.

That duo should really rarely if ever have less than about 25+- rushing plays combined. Unless we’re just eating an opponent alive in the passing game or we’re behind 28-3 at halftime etc..

The issue I’m starting to see now is opponents have figured out that we have zero vertical game. We might get 1 big play all day and so they just all move towards the LOS and crowd the short stuff.

Dillon has struggled to have an impact so far this season. Jones should definitely get the majority of touches.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read a comment somewhere else and the guy said that Dillon should not be in the game before the 2nd quarter. I agree. And I think Jones is better at TDs and any short yardage basically. Jones had 16 TDs in 2019 and 9 in 2020. Why go away from that? Dillon imho should be a change of pace back. i,e,: pound the ball.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Generally speaking yeah, but after last game. Let's not forget how it started. Every run was basically a negative. Our offensive line wasn't just losing on 3rd and longs. They were getting destroyed on 1st and 2nd down too.

Reaction score
Dillon has struggled to have an impact so far this season. Jones should definitely get the majority of touches.
not sure if you know this but Dillon has led Jones in per carry several times this season. We don’t have to go very far, go look at yesterday.

What has changed this season??

Offensive Line

Matt is very smart. However My worry is that Matt will be stubborn and refuse to make changes to a porous OL (like he was with ST last season). If he’s not careful that stubbornness will cost him the season. I’m not equipped to know the intricacies of how to fix it or where we are at internal options or external options. I’m 100% sure changes better happen

Last edited:
Reaction score
Honestly, if Dillon gets more touches than Jones I expect to look at the scoreboard and see us winning or have won....or hear Jones isn't healthy.
True. Jones is clearly better overall.
That said though. I think it’s about going with your hot hand. Some games 1 guy is off for whatever reason and you have to recognize that and not force it.
I’d like to see Dillon used more with a pulling blocker. That mitigates him getting touched before he gets a head of steam. Once he’s rolling past the LOS at full speed he’s good for 3 yards minimum and he often just runs someone over for 7 or 8 yards. His Achilles is getting a pass -3 yards behind the LOS in a slow developing play where a good defender is in the backfield sniffing it out.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense is trying to exploit what the defense is giving, it's just unable to do so. Defenses are daring the Packers to throw downfield and they're focused on stopping the run. A good offense would pass the ball against a defense daring them to do so but this year's Packers passing offense is comically inept. It's going to take time for guys used to being able to make defenses pay for what they're doing change their mindsets (which they've had for 10+ years) and realize that the passing game weapons just aren't there and they need to be happy with running into loaded defensive fronts.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is Rodgers does not have his touch on deep balls this year IMO. Blame it on whatever you want, it isn't there like normal.

Reaction score
Problem is Rodgers does not have his touch on deep balls this year IMO. Blame it on whatever you want, it isn't there like normal.
Well in fairness in this particular game he’s playing with a throwing hand injury and that’s going to affect things more on deeper passes.

Yes He’s been off also and then couple other with a throwing hand injury.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not sure if you know this but Dillon has led Jones in per carry several times this season. We don’t have to go very far, go look at yesterday.

What has changed this season??

Offensive Line

Matt is very smart. However My worry is that Matt will be stubborn and refuse to make changes to a porous OL (like he was with ST last season). If he’s not careful that stubbornness will cost him the season. I’m not equipped to know the intricacies of how to fix it or where we are at internal options or external options. I’m 100% sure changes better happen
I'll tell you what's a very obvious OL fix to me right now. It's move Jenkins back to where he was dominant, left guard. Insert Yosh at RT.

Reaction score
I'll tell you what's a very obvious OL fix to me right now. It's move Jenkins back to where he was dominant, left guard. Insert Yosh at RT.
And that may be the answer. Idk.
I do think it’s a better answer than business as usual. Our interior OL needs direct attention. Rodgers is having to get rid of the ball in 2 sec or he’s being harassed or sacked.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newman getting yanked for Hanson shocked me personally...I still think Tom showed in the preseason he is the next best OL if not one of the best 5 already. I know it is a shuffle but I'm 100% willing to go Bakh/Jenkins/Myers/Tom or Runyan/Yosh

ColoradoPacker51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, I dont get why Jones doesn't touch the ball 20+ times a game, and rotates with Dillon so much. Jones appeared to be hurting yesterday so wonder how much that goes into yesterday specifically, especially when Dillon fumbles and was hoping he wouldn't come back in after that. The more I watch Dillon play, I feel he should be better. For his size, he really doesn't play that big, hard to get going downfield and slow, doesn't make many people miss, and overall plays too many plays for how productive he is. How many plays of 5+ yards does he have, not many I feel. I get not wanting to wear down 33, but he is by far the better back and is better in short yardage anyway, give him the ball and don't take him off the field as much.

O line play yesterday was some of the worst I have seen this team have in last few years. Jenkins doesn't appear to be his former self after injury, i always find myself yelling at Newman, he just doesn't appear to have it. We could've had Creed Humphrey at center and not that Meyers is bad, he just isn't Humphrey and was drafted after Meyers. Wonder how much of an impact that room has taken with us keeping Stenovich and moving him to OC. Wonder if his promotion is now hurting the room he was so good with and that room misses his constant coaching where it is now different with him as OC.

Defense seems to give in once they realize the game is in their hands. Cant be putting the D on the field that much when the O doenst move the ball, I get that but too many play makers and high draft picks on that side to break that easily. No turnovers is huge as well, don't know how many they have this year, pick at end of bears game is only one I can think of right now, wont win many games if you can't get the ball back with turnovers.

Once again, we were outcoached, in all 3 phases. that worries me more than anything right now. Need to change some things around, bring in some playmakers like Odell or something, cause what we have right now is just mediocre, in a mediocre conference that is wide open right now. That at least is silver lining, only Philly looks the real deal right now.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more you use Aaron, the higher the chance he gets injured. He is not a big back, and he has a history of missing multiple games with his recurring knee injuries. Aaron, to me, is a guy who should have a good complement on the roster. However, Dillon doesn't appear to be all that good this year despite his hype coming into the season. I'm not sure what's wrong with him, but he looks very slow this year. The whole team does to be honest. I'd like to see them implement Hill in there when he's ready.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's true that Dillon has had a better average than Jones in both of the past two games but overall Jones is definitely the better running back of the two.

The more I watch Dillon play, I feel he should be better. For his size, he really doesn't play that big, hard to get going downfield and slow, doesn't make many people miss, and overall plays too many plays for how productive he is. How many plays of 5+ yards does he have, not many I feel.

Dillon has gained more than five yards on 26 plays out of a total of 94 touches. For comparison, Jones has been able to achieve it on 35 of 94 plays.

No turnovers is huge as well, don't know how many they have this year, pick at end of bears game is only one I can think of right now, wont win many games if you can't get the ball back with turnovers.

The Packers defense is currently tied for 28th in the league in turnovers with a total of only four after six games.

Members online

Latest posts