The Teams That Time Forgot !

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You always have to wonder how things would have fared for Rodgers had he been drafted by another team. Green Bay was really a perfect spot for him to land. He wasn't rushed into the starting roll, played behind a future HOF QB and had plenty of time to learn and prepare for running the offense of a successful organization. Couple that with having some great coaches and wide receivers and we have who Aaron is today.

There is a big step from College to the NFL when it comes to the QB position and sometimes I think when rushed right into duty, the pressure of being "the guy", can be a bit too much for a young player.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Interesting article and hmmm.....look what franchise is at the top. :coffee:

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000497140

Was trying to remember franchises with back to back HOF QB's....Montana and Young come to mind. Unless Rodgers implodes or suffers a career ending injury, he and Favre will no doubt be in that category.

Since 1992, We as Packer fans have admittedly been spoiled by 23 + years of play by 2 future HOF QB's

Last edited:

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any arguments with Vikings fans need only be rebutted with this-

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/#teams_active::12

It's the list of current team ordered by NFL championships and in reverse order for the amount of opportunity to actually do something (i.e. more cracks in the playoffs to achieve place in the order of championships - those with more chances and achieved the least rank lower). I think it speaks for itself. Whatever the particular argument might be is subsumed by what the list says.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And let's nip this in the bud about the Viking one more time. In 2004 the Vikings had Daunte Culpepper. His 2004 season was great. 4,717 yard, 39 TD's 294 yards per game 11 interceptions. QB rating of 110.9. Second only to Petyon Manning. MN wasn't looking for QB. They didn't think they needed one.

I am wondering, why haven't the Packers drafted a QB in the first round the last few years. Oh yeah, they have Rodgers.

Too bad Culpepper blew out his knee in 2005 and was never the same.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You always have to wonder how things would have fared for Rodgers had he been drafted by another team. Green Bay was really a perfect spot for him to land. He wasn't rushed into the starting roll, played behind a future HOF QB and had plenty of time to learn and prepare for running the offense of a successful organization. Couple that with having some great coaches and wide receivers and we have who Aaron is today.

There is a big step from College to the NFL when it comes to the QB position and sometimes I think when rushed right into duty, the pressure of being "the guy", can be a bit too much for a young player.

The Packers have been known for their great QB coaching

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And let's nip this in the bud about the Viking one more time. In 2004 the Vikings had Daunte Culpepper. His 2004 season was great. 4,717 yard, 39 TD's 294 yards per game 11 interceptions. QB rating of 110.9. Second only to Petyon Manning. MN wasn't looking for QB. They didn't think they needed one.

I am wondering, why haven't the Packers drafted a QB in the first round the last few years. Oh yeah, they have Rodgers.

You miss the mark. Green Bay drafted Rodgers in spite of the fact they had Brett Favre on the roster. Rodgers sat and watched Favre for three years. Yet, it turned out to be the steal of the draft.

The Vikings had Daunte Culpepper(!) Not exactly a first-ballot hall-of-famer. Yet they chose to pass on Rodgers twice in favor of other players who, as it turned out, were also not exactly first-ballot hall-of-famers. You can defend that decision if you wish, but you should know that while you are doing so, it will be sweet music to the ears of every Packer fan.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's better for a rookie QB to sit and learn for a while. Vikings draft a rookie QB and throw him right on the fire.

D

Deleted member 6794

You miss the mark. Green Bay drafted Rodgers in spite of the fact they had Brett Favre on the roster. Rodgers sat and watched Favre for three years. Yet, it turned out to be the steal of the draft.

The Vikings had Daunte Culpepper(!) Not exactly a first-ballot hall-of-famer. Yet they chose to pass on Rodgers twice in favor of other players who, as it turned out, were also not exactly first-ballot hall-of-famers. You can defend that decision if you wish, but you should know that while you are doing so, it will be sweet music to the ears of every Packer fan.

It's pretty easy to analyze it that way in hindsight. At the time of the 2005 draft there were a ton of question marks about Rodgers and even McCarthy (being the Niners offensive coordinator) preferred Smith over him. In addition even the Packers weren't convinced he will turn out to be their long-term starter in 2008, otherwise they wouldn't have selected Brian Brohm in the second-round of that year's draft.

It's great for us to make fun of other teams for passing on #12 but taking a realistic look at it the Packers got extremely lucky.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to analyze it that way in hindsight. At the time of the 2005 draft there were a ton of question marks about Rodgers and even McCarthy (being the Niners offensive coordinator) preferred Smith over him. In addition even the Packers weren't convinced he will turn out to be their long-term starter in 2008, otherwise they wouldn't have selected Brian Brohm in the second-round of that year's draft.

It's great for us to make fun of other teams for passing on #12 but taking a realistic look at it the Packers got extremely lucky.

I think maybe McCarthy really liked Rodgers ....passed on him so the Packers would get him......knowing that he was going to the Packers and would be united with Rodgers.

Sound possible ?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

God, why is this so hard for Packer fans to understand. The Vikings didn't think they needed a QB. Period. Culpepper was 27 at the end of the 2004 season. He had just led the league in number of completions(379), total passing yards(4717), yards per game(294.8) and had thrown 39 TD's, second to Manning's 49. Favre was 35 and was already talking about retirement. Now, I don't know anyone who can predict injuries that will end a career. So, unless you know someone who could have predicted Cupepper's injury, drafting Rodgers was just not going to happen. And about Culpepper not being a HOF. Big deal. Ever look at his number for the three years before the 2005 draft? Here you go. But the Vikings should have drafted a 22 year old Rodgers to replace a 27 year old Culpepper. Because we all know that someone who puts up those kind of numbers over 3 years is going to suck the next year and injured.

Code:
2002-04   Att   Comp.   Percent    Yards      YPG    YPA   TD's    TD%    Int     Int%
Culpepper 1001   1501    64.9%     12049     261.9   7.8    82     5.3%    45    2.9%
Favre      995   1562    64.7%     11107     231.4   7.1    89     5.7%    54    3.5%

So tell me again, why have the Packers not drafter Rodgers replacement? He's 32. 4 years older than Culpepper was in 2005.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So tell me again, why have the Packers not drafter Rodgers replacement? He's 32. 4 years older than Culpepper was in 2005.

Heck, we may have done it this year.

Also, drafting in the 20s and having the chance at a flip-a-coin #1 choice doesn't happen all that often.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God, why is this so hard for Packer fans to understand. The Vikings didn't think they needed a QB. Period. Culpepper was 27 at the end of the 2004 season. He had just led the league in number of completions(379), total passing yards(4717), yards per game(294.8) and had thrown 39 TD's, second to Manning's 49. Favre was 35 and was already talking about retirement. Now, I don't know anyone who can predict injuries that will end a career. So, unless you know someone who could have predicted Cupepper's injury, drafting Rodgers was just not going to happen. And about Culpepper not being a HOF. Big deal. Ever look at his number for the three years before the 2005 draft? Here you go. But the Vikings should have drafted a 22 year old Rodgers to replace a 27 year old Culpepper. Because we all know that someone who puts up those kind of numbers over 3 years is going to suck the next year and injured.

Code:
2002-04   Att   Comp.   Percent    Yards      YPG    YPA   TD's    TD%    Int     Int%
Culpepper 1001   1501    64.9%     12049     261.9   7.8    82     5.3%    45    2.9%
Favre      995   1562    64.7%     11107     231.4   7.1    89     5.7%    54    3.5%

You win. Passing up Rodgers twice for players like Troy Williamson was brilliant. It has worked out great for the Vikings. It is that kind of decision-making that has resulted in the empty trophy case that never needs dusting. Skol!

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God, why is this so hard for Packer fans to understand.
Normal teams will draft or pick up un-drafted QBs in the case that their starter may not be able to play. Unfortunately for you the vikings have a bad habit of picking up qbs other teams have no use for, or drafting them and right away throwing them into the lions den. Then when that guy starts to suck and make mistakes you viking fans start whining and crying that they need another QB, and the cycle starts all over again. The Vikings have no idea of how to develop their young QBs, instead they expect them to be all starts right out of the gates, Bridgewater will be lucky to last five years.

Remember when in 2011 they got Christian Ponder oh you viking fans shouted to heaven that he was the answer, that he was going to lead them to the promise land, two years latter all we heard out of Minnesota was "GET RIDE OF PONDER! WE NEED A NEW QB!" The same thing with Jackson, he was the answer, then Favre. Each time the exact same result has played out.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
You win. Passing up Rodgers twice for players like Troy Williamson was brilliant. It has worked out great for the Vikings. It is that kind of decision-making that has resulted in the empty trophy case that never needs dusting. Skol!
Really? Sorry I have to ask. Just what part of "The Vikings didn't think they needed a QB." do Packer fans not understand. It's a pretty simple concept. If Rodgers goes down with a career ending injury, who do the Packer have to replace him? Why haven't they drafted his replacement? My God he's 32 years old. Culpepper was 27, had just finished 3 great years of play, yet Packer fans think the Vikings should have drafted Rodgers to replace him. Get real.

I'm done with this discussion.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Normal teams will draft or pick up un-drafted QBs in the case that their starter may not be able to play. Unfortunately for you the vikings have a bad habit of picking up qbs other teams have no use for, or drafting them and right away throwing them into the lions den. Then when that guy starts to suck and make mistakes you viking fans start whining and crying that they need another QB, and the cycle starts all over again. The Vikings have no idea of how to develop their young QBs, instead they expect them to be all starts right out of the gates, Bridgewater will be lucky to last five years.

Remember when in 2011 they got Christian Ponder oh you viking fans shouted to heaven that he was the answer, that he was going to lead them to the promise land, two years latter all we heard out of Minnesota was "GET RIDE OF PONDER! WE NEED A NEW QB!" The same thing with Jackson, he was the answer, then Favre. Each time the exact same result has played out.
BTW, The Vikings have never expected their newly drafted QB to start the first game of their rookie season. Happened once in Vikings history. Fran Tarkenton. 1961.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Sorry I have to ask. Just what part of "The Vikings didn't think they needed a QB." do Packer fans not understand. It's a pretty simple concept. If Rodgers goes down with a career ending injury, who do the Packer have to replace him? Why haven't they drafted his replacement? My God he's 32 years old. Culpepper was 27, had just finished 3 great years of play, yet Packer fans think the Vikings should have drafted Rodgers to replace him. Get real.

No, Packer fans are delighted the Vikings didn't draft Rodgers. Rodgers is no doubt delighted as well. That's real.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And the post immediately following this one was from...wait for it...