The Teams That Time Forgot !

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This crap comes up about once a year. And every year it is about how the Vikings passed on Rodgers twice. Fact is, at the time the Vikings didn't need a QB. Maybe we should talk about how Green Bay picked Mandrich instead of Sanders.
Difference is you apparently prefered to have Erasmus James and Troy Williamson for a few years than have Aaron Rodgers for his career. And that is fine.

I dont believe any Packer fan would defend the Mandrich pick, despite our OT need. Most will 'admit' they would have preferred Barry Sanders over Mandrich. Personally, I would have preferred Derrick Johnson over either of the Sanders, I dont think Barry would not have done as well at Lambeau as in a dome.

Last edited:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Difference is you apparently prefered to have Erasmus James and Troy Williamson for a few years than have Aaron Rodgers for his career. And that is fine.

I believe every Packer fan would 'admit' they would have preferred Barry Sanders over Mandrich. Personally, I would have preferred Johnson over either Sanders, I dont think Barry would not have done as well at Lambeau as in a dome.
Really? What part of Culpepper being in his 5th year, just signing an long term contract, and the Vikings thinking they had their QB for the next 8-10 years is so hard for Packer fans to understand? Based on that kind of logic, the Packer's should be drafting QB's in the first round now. Or maybe a LB to replace Matthews? Fact is, the Packers got lucky. Lucky that everyone was wrong about Rodgers. Had they been right, had he sucked, we would not be having this discussion. 50% of first round QB's are bust's in the first 4 years.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again: the league started in 1921, not 1966. Each of the Packers' 13 NFL Championships are as historically important as each of the Yankees' 27 Championships in the (much longer) history of baseball. This b.s. about "Super Bowls" is very, very tiresome. For the record, Green Bay has had 3 Qbs who have won multiple Championships:
Red Dunn 3
Arnie Herber 3
Bart Starr 5

I suppose you can double the number if you want to count the backups.

This year for the Vikings will be important only by continuing Minnesota's unequaled history of losing in the NFL. Counting the 6 years of the Minneapolis Marines, the 2015 Minnesota team will complete 61 consecutive seasons of futility in the NFL. That includes its only NFL Championship of 1969, ruined by a loss to the last AFL Champion to play in a Championship game. There isn't another NFL team with such a level of losing, unless you want to say Buffalo. Even Buffalo had 2 AFL Championships in the 60s.

I'm ready for the regular season.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't underestimate the Vikings. They were a respectable 7-9 last season without Adrian Petersen. I think with AP and a decent QB they might improve to 9-7 or 10-6.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again: the league started in 1921, not 1966. Each of the Packers' 13 NFL Championships are as historically important as each of the Yankees' 27 Championships in the (much longer) history of baseball. This b.s. about "Super Bowls" is very, very tiresome. For the record, Green Bay has had 3 Qbs who have won multiple Championships:
Red Dunn 3
Arnie Herber 3
Bart Starr 5

This year for the Vikings will be important only by continuing Minnesota's unequaled history of losing in the NFL. Counting the 6 years of the Minneapolis Marines, the 2015 Minnesota team will complete 61 consecutive seasons of futility in the NFL. That includes its only NFL Championship of 1969, ruined by a loss to the last AFL Champion to play in a Championship game. There isn't another NFL team with such a level of losing, unless you want to say Buffalo. Even Buffalo had 2 AFL Championships in the 60s.

Factually, you're certainly correct about the championships. From then on, it's back to sports subjectivity. I think the Packers' 13 championships are, indeed, as important as the Yankees, which, to me, is not very much. I take delight in hearing Yankee fans having to fall back on what once was, rather than what pathetically is - sort of like Packer fans in the 70s and 80s with their yes, but (very, very tiresome) references to the Lombardi Packers. Also, not sure since I don't care about baseball, but the Yankees probably won all theirs in World Series, while the first three for the Pack didn't even involve a playoff. As a pre-Lombardi Packer fan, I can't get too excited about the next three, either - I'm 70, and anything they won before I was born doesn't really excite me. The longest I'd go back is '54, the conventional wisdom date for football becoming a major sport. Now, the fact that Minnesota has such a horrible championship record, regardless of any arbitrary time frame, is sweet.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Red Dunn 3
Arnie Herber 3
Bart Starr 5

Of course winning the championship is the only thing that counts, right. After all, because the Patriots have won Super Bowls they are much more of a winning franchise than the Vikings. The Patriots were so bad as a team they didn't get above .500 for total games played until 2006. The Vikings have been above .500 in total games played since 1973. But, since winning championships is apparently the only thing that matters..........The Cardinals haven't won anything since 1947. But they did have those two championships, one in 1925 and 1947. Never mind the .420 team record, that doesn't matter. Or the Cardinals 67 years of playing below .500. Only championships matter. Right? Or Atlanta, they don't suck as much as the Vikings, after all, they never put back to back winning seasons until 2004-05. Not to mentions that .432 win percentage. Guess it's hard to move that win percentage when you can't put two winning seasons together for 37 years.

Yeah, the Vikings are the worst team in the NFL for losing. :roflmao:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, the Vikings are the worst team in the NFL for losing. :roflmao:
No, they're the worst team because they lost the Ed Thorpe trophy! :grin:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ngs-the-curse-of-the-ed-thorp-memorial-trophy

All kidding aside, being a converted Minnesotan myself I've been watching all of their games this season. Bridgewater is looking fantastic and I guarantee it will continue into the season. When Charles Johnson was stolen from our practice squad (by Cleveland?) it was a huge mistake, as that kid can play and he's a stand up guy. He will lead the Vikings and as much as I thought that Wallace was a bad move, he's starting to develop the chemistry with Bridgewater. That defense was legit last season and Zimmer will make them better. It's the offensive line that was offensive last year, so we'll see if AP and Bridgewater can marginalize the problem.

All of that said, I have a 10-to-1 lunch bet with a co-worker. I owe him ten lunches if the Vikings win the NFC North. He owes me one lunch if they don't. Silly Vikings fan.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
since winning championships is apparently the only thing that matters......
Yes, Championships are the only thing that matter. Ask any player in any league who has one.

The Vikings have been above .500 in total games played since 1973.

Wow. I guess you can say they're one of the better teams of the worst losers in the NFL.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
All of that said, I have a 10-to-1 lunch bet with a co-worker. I owe him ten lunches if the Vikings win the NFC North. He owes me one lunch if they don't. Silly Vikings fan.
Yeah, really, he could have went for 26 and a free lunch once a week for half a year. ;)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears
W L T Win%
10 1 2 .846 Decatur Staleys regular season record (1920)[q]
9 1 1 .864 Chicago Staleys regular season record (1921)[q]
716 543 39 .567 Chicago Bears regular season record (1922–2014)[q]
735 545 42 .572 All-time regular season record (1920–2014)[47][q]
17 18 — .486 All-time postseason record (1932–2014)[47][q]
752 563 42 .570 All-time regular season and postseason record (1920–2014)[47][q]

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears
W L T Win%
10 1 2 .846 Decatur Staleys regular season record (1920)[q]
9 1 1 .864 Chicago Staleys regular season record (1921)[q]
716 543 39 .567 Chicago Bears regular season record (1922–2014)[q]
735 545 42 .572 All-time regular season record (1920–2014)[47][q]
17 18 — .486 All-time postseason record (1932–2014)[47][q]
752 563 42 .570 All-time regular season and postseason record (1920–2014)[47][q]

Right up there with the Packers except for the number of championships !

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This crap comes up about once a year. And every year it is about how the Vikings passed on Rodgers twice. Fact is, at the time the Vikings didn't need a QB. Maybe we should talk about how Green Bay picked Mandrich instead of Sanders.

You always know how to hurt us

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
i

This is like Déjà vu for me. The previous Packer board I was on also had a trolling Viking fan named "Thor". It seems like they are just glutins for punishment. Yes, the Vikings did have the edge on the Packers in the 70's, but that was then and this is now.

Raptor isnt a troll...He is very well respected here...We love to give him crap from time to time

Staff online

Latest posts