The Teams That Time Forgot !

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
And let's nip this in the bud about the Viking one more time. In 2004 the Vikings had Daunte Culpepper. His 2004 season was great. 4,717 yard, 39 TD's 294 yards per game 11 interceptions. QB rating of 110.9. Second only to Petyon Manning. MN wasn't looking for QB. They didn't think they needed one.

I am wondering, why haven't the Packers drafted a QB in the first round the last few years. Oh yeah, they have Rodgers.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
And let's nip this in the bud about the Viking one more time. In 2004 the Vikings had Daunte Culpepper. His 2004 season was great. 4,717 yard, 39 TD's 294 yards per game 11 interceptions. QB rating of 110.9. Second only to Petyon Manning. MN wasn't looking for QB. They didn't think they needed one. I am wondering, why haven't the Packers drafted a QB in the first round the last few years. Oh yeah, they have Rodgers.
My my, aren't we defensive? ;) Yet the fact remains that the Vikings passed on Rodgers twice and they remain tied with Raptorman in Super Bowl wins. And the Packers have not passed on a QB in the first round rated as highly as Rodgers was. :D

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I totally see your point Raptor as to why the Vikings passed Rodgers over (twice) with Culpepper having so many good years left in the tank. :coffee:

I guess the Packers made a big mistake drafting Rodgers in the first round when they still had Favre.

Although, it was probably a good thing for Rodgers career it worked out the way it did.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

My my, aren't we defensive? ;) Yet the fact remains that the Vikings passed on Rodgers twice and they remain tied with Raptorman in Super Bowl wins. And the Packers have not passed on a QB in the first round rated as highly as Rodgers was. :D

TJ, Don`t mock the afflicted ;).

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
This crap comes up about once a year. And every year it is about how the Vikings passed on Rodgers twice. Fact is, at the time the Vikings didn't need a QB. Maybe we should talk about how Green Bay picked Mandrich instead of Sanders.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I totally see your point Raptor as to why the Vikings passed Rodgers over (twice) with Culpepper having so many good years left in the tank. :coffee:

I guess the Packers made a big mistake drafting Rodgers in the first round when they still had Favre.

Although, it was probably a good thing for Rodgers career it worked out the way it did.
Culpepper had just finished his 5th year as a starter with the Vikings. How many years does Rodgers have left? Yeah, when you come up with a concrete answer let me know.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe we should talk about how Green Bay picked Mandrich instead of Sanders.

I thought this thread was about the 2005 NFL Draft and the teams that missed out (some twice) on selecting Aaron Rodgers in the first round?

Maybe you could start a new thread on Tony Mandarich?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Culpepper had just finished his 5th year as a starter with the Vikings. How many years does Rodgers have left? Yeah, when you come up with a concrete answer let me know.

This is why some organizations have a lot of success in picking the best player available on the board. But hey, Troy Williamson and Erasmus James were two highly rated guys who both just happened to flop. Who would have thunk?

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And let's nip this in the bud about the Viking one more time. In 2004 the Vikings had Daunte Culpepper. His 2004 season was great. 4,717 yard, 39 TD's 294 yards per game 11 interceptions. QB rating of 110.9. Second only to Petyon Manning. MN wasn't looking for QB. They didn't think they needed one.

I am wondering, why haven't the Packers drafted a QB in the first round the last few years. Oh yeah, they have Rodgers.

Very good.......Just like the Packers in 2004 with Favre. I didn't think the Packers needed a QB either. Look how well it turned out.....The Packers have Rodgers and how many teams have a QB merry go round ?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't know where the Vikings had Rodgers on their board. If he was much higher than the players they picked, it was not a good choice even if he wasn't a need.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I thought this thread was about the 2005 NFL Draft and the teams that missed out (some twice) on selecting Aaron Rodgers in the first round?

Maybe you could start a new thread on Tony Mandarich?
Because like the Aaron Rodgers "Teams that missed out on him" story has been done. Just as the Tony Mandarich story has been hashed over time and time again. Why should I start a new thread just to have everyone repeat the same stuff over and over again?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Very good.......Just like the Packers in 2004 with Favre. I didn't think the Packers needed a QB either. Look how well it turned out.....The Packers have Rodgers and how many teams have a QB merry go round ?
I do believe Favre started hinting about retirement around 2002-03. So for the Packers it made sense. At that point Favre had 12 seasons in.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think the Vikings are waiting to pick up Hundley. They know where to find QB talent.
Thanks, I needed a good laugh. Packers have drafted 1 sure fire HOF QB since 1970. Rodgers. Maybe you should look at all the QB's the Packers drafted that never played in the NFL. A blind squirrel will eventually find a nut. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thanks, I needed a good laugh. Packers have drafted 1 sure fire HOF QB since 1970. Rodgers. Maybe you should look at all the QB's the Packers drafted that never played in the NFL. A blind squirrel will eventually find a nut. :)

You are correct on the HOF part Raptor. Of course, looking back I did find the last HOF QB the Vikings drafted was in 1961, 3rd round Sir Francis Tarkenton. Couldn't find ANY since 1970 sorry.

Oh and as far as Packer drafted QB's since 1970 that have played in the NFL.....let me grab some nuts for you:

1. Scott Hunter
  2. Jerry Tagge
  3. Carlos Brown
  4. David Whitehurst
  5. Dennis Sproul
  6. Rich Campbell
  7. Randy Wright
  8. Don Majkowski
  9. Anthony Dilweg
  10. Ty Detmer
  11. Mark Brunell
  12. Matt Hasselbeck
  13. Aaron Brooks
  14. Craig Nall
  15. Matt Flynn

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
A blind squirrel will eventually find a nut. :)
Are you saying the Vikings are worse than a blind squirrel??!! Hey, don't be so ******* 'em... .... Aw hell go ahead.

Semi-seriously Raptorman, it was pretty funny how you immediately took the bait. And BTW, go ahead and talk about Mandarich. The Packers have won a couple of titles* since that cluster schtoop so we're OK talking about their mistakes. (*Just so there's no confusion: In the modern era, winning a title happens when an NFL team wins the Super Bowl. :D)

BTW, serious Packers fans should probably know Aaron Rodgers was selected in the 2005 draft. And yes, Favre started his retirement BS in 2002.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
You are correct on the HOF part Raptor. Of course, looking back I did find the last HOF QB the Vikings drafted was in 1961, 3rd round Sir Francis Tarkenton. Couldn't find ANY since 1970 sorry.

Oh and as far as Packer drafted QB's since 1970 that have played in the NFL.....let me grab some nuts for you:

1. Scott Hunter
  2. Jerry Tagge
  3. Carlos Brown
  4. David Whitehurst
  5. Dennis Sproul
  6. Rich Campbell
  7. Randy Wright
  8. Don Majkowski
  9. Anthony Dilweg
  10. Ty Detmer
  11. Mark Brunell
  12. Matt Hasselbeck
  13. Aaron Brooks
  14. Craig Nall
  15. Matt Flynn
Since 1970, the Packers have drafted 31 QB's. Of that list, 11 have been in the NFL for 4 years or more. The Vikings have drafted 18. Of that number 9 have been in the NFL for 4 years or more. The Packers draft a lot of QB's in the later rounds and nothing really come of them. Guys like Nickie Hall, Kyle Wachholtz, Ron McAda, Kirk Baumgartner.

There's this myth that Green Bay is a QB producing team. Yet when you look at it, they haven't produced any more starting QB's from the draft than any other team. If you look at the game starts of all QB's drafted between GB and MN, use 48(three years worth) as the number of starts. Green Bay has 5 that qualify, the Vikings have 4. Miami has 7. The Titans have 5. Rams have 7. Hell, even Detroit has 5. If the Packers were really producing QB's, that number would be higher.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Are you saying the Vikings are worse than a blind squirrel??!! Hey, don't be so ******* 'em... .... Aw hell go ahead.

Semi-seriously Raptorman, it was pretty funny how you immediately took the bait. And BTW, go ahead and talk about Mandarich. The Packers have won a couple of titles* since that cluster schtoop so we're OK talking about their mistakes. (*Just so there's no confusion: In the modern era, winning a title happens when an NFL team wins the Super Bowl. :D)

BTW, serious Packers fans should probably know Aaron Rodgers was selected in the 2005 draft. And yes, Favre started his retirement BS in 2002.
Oh, I don't care, it's in good humor.... I take very little of this seriously. BTW, Just for the record, the Bronco's have lost the Super Bowl 5 times. 4 times before the Bills did. :D

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
FYI Raptor, I'm not ultra serious either, if you didn't know that by now. But you are what I call a "circle debater", you go around in circles, hoping to prove one of your points. You came into this thread thinking it was a rip on the Vikings, it was not. Then you had to quickly point out that Mandarich was a bust in the first round, something we all know. Then you said the reason the Vikings passed on Rodgers and took James and Williamson was because the Vikings didn't need a QB, they did soon after 2005. The was followed by the notion of the Packers being total failures to pick a QB in the draft that ever played in the NFL, many did. Now you want to debate 45 years of QB draft history?

Im confused, are you a Viking fan on a Packer fan website just to debate and try to be a fly in the ointment or are you a Viking fan that just keeps an eye on a winning teams fan site, hoping some day the Vikings win a Super Bowl so that you can say "I told you so?"

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
FYI Raptor, I'm not ultra serious either, if you didn't know that by now. But you are what I call a "circle debater", you go around in circles, hoping to prove one of your points. You came into this thread thinking it was a rip on the Vikings, it was not. Then you had to quickly point out that Mandarich was a bust in the first round, something we all know. Then you said the reason the Vikings passed on Rodgers and took James and Williamson was because the Vikings didn't need a QB, they did soon after 2005. The was followed by the notion of the Packers being total failures to pick a QB in the draft that ever played in the NFL, many did. Now you want to debate 45 years of QB draft history?

Im confused, are you a Viking fan on a Packer fan website just to debate and try to be a fly in the ointment or are you a Viking fan that just keeps an eye on a winning teams fan site, hoping some day the Vikings win a Super Bowl so that you can say "I told you so?"
Going around in circles? Lets see, I responded to the original poster because of his comment about the Vikings passing on Rodgers twice, with a good pun. I responded to another poster about the Vikings knowing were to find good QB's(ie: the Packers.), showing the myth of the Packers being some great QB developing team. Never said they were a total failure in drafting QB's. Said they were average. This is to me a semi serious thread with good banter and no one getting ticked off.

Not trying to prove anything. There is nothing here to prove. Only facts. Fact is, the Vikings felt they did not need a QB in 2005 in round 1. Fact is, the Packers are not some great QB school. Fact is, the players the Vikings picked in 2005 sucked. Fact is only about 5 of those player on that list are still playing.

Doing a draft redo of 2005 I am sure the Vikings would pick Rodgers. But by then he would have been off he board with San Fran. Know one could have seen Culpepper's injury. Just like no one could have seen Nelson's the other night. It's part of football. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Oh, one more thing. Can you name the only two Packer QB's that have two Super Bowl rings? Bart Starr and........:)

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i

This is like Déjà vu for me. The previous Packer board I was on also had a trolling Viking fan named "Thor". It seems like they are just glutins for punishment. Yes, the Vikings did have the edge on the Packers in the 70's, but that was then and this is now.

Members online

Latest posts