1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The TE position going forward

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by all about da packers, May 21, 2007.

1. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's safe to say that Bubba certainly isn't the most favourite player on Coach McCarthy's list right now, with him seeing reps with mostly 2nd and 3rd team Offense.

Donald Lee got the majority of the reps, and he has talent and some speed. McCarthy said that he was impressed with Lee, that Lee extended the vertical passing game, which was needed.

You also have TE Troy Humphrey and Zac Alcorn that have made the roster the last couple of seasons with "potential".

Coach McCarthy said the TE's have been working hard, and they are working on catching passes from the JUGS machine. That is interesting, because one of the knocks on Lee was that he dropped too many passes while in Miami.

Regardless, Lee is still a big unknown, and there was a reason he was the #3 TE for much of last season.

Anyone have a front runner on who is starting TE, and exactly how do you feel about our TE position as of right now?

2. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's gotta be Donald. Every team in our division runs a version of a Cover-2 defense.

I'll say it again:
    Every team in our division runs a Cover-2.

Anyone who lives and breathes football knows that the greatest weaknesses of a Cover-2 are:

a.) Peyton Manning

b.) A speedy tight end to who can split the 2 safeties

c.) A consistent run game that wears down the speed guys and doesn't fumble

Since we don't have option a, I think that we'll try c and hope we don't need to attempt option b.

But, out of our available options, it seems like Lee is the fastest, MM likes his deep ability anyway, so in response to your original question, I'd say him.

Donald Lee is starter, who cares are #2 and #3, and Bubba rides pine. I don't think he'll get cut since The Pack obviously don't need any extra space in the cap.

3. retiredgrampa

retiredgrampa Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's about damned time the team did something positive about the TE position. Maybe the demotion of Bubba will re-light a dormant fire in him. I hope there is still life there. Competition has been needed for a long time.

4. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What's needed is a guy who actually has some talent. I just won't let myself believe that that would be Bubba anymore. He did far too little last year.

5. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah but PIB, does that mean Bubba has no talent?

He was a great red zone target for us, and I just don't know how he could stop being that when he is still in his prime.

I still think he has something to offer us, and him becoming the red zone threat for us would basically solve much of our red zone problems.

I'm still confused as to what exactly happened to him that made him so bad at the age where almost all players play their best football.

6. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Naw, I think he has talent. I just don't think that he'll reach his potential.

The only basis for it is that I hoped for him all last season, believed in him because, like you said, there was no determinable reason for a decline, but he still let me down.

My best guess as to why he fell off is the injury in '05 somehow messed up his timing, confidence, or whatever intangibles it is that he lost, and he just hasn't been able to rediscover.

But I agree with grandpa. I hope that this demotion lights some fire under his ***. I'd love him to return to form, and maybe that's why the GB staff hasn't done really anthing to fill any holes at that position. They believe that there is no hole????

7. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Finally, Bubba speaks... and it doesn't exactly make a whole lot of sense.

SOURCE

Did I miss something with Bubba? He was bad because he was "selfish" last year? WTF? :wtf:

8. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Get with the program, jeez. Don't you know the telltale signs of a selfish player? Dropping/fumbling redzone passes, committing holding penalties away from the play whenever a big run is made, and on and on......

Yeah, he was totally selfish by not being a team player and actually doing something with the ball besides putting it on the ground.

Alright, who am I kidding? His quotes just made no sense. This guy is an enigma. Wrapped in a mystery.

Yeah, he's actually that difficult to figure out. :thumbsup:

9. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    wrapped in stupid

10. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I think he suffered from the "big contract" syndrome.
    We see it happen alot. Get the big money, then become lazy.
    Hopefully he can recover from this and EARN his check this year.

11. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i just get the feeling Bubba got demoralised last year by having to do so much pass blocking.

12. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    yeah

13. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    i think its a mix of all the theories. he went to miami, so you know hes not very bright.

He had a new scheme to learn last year under a new coach. New responsibilities, new routes, just about new everything.
    he was left out of a lot of passing routes to stay back and block.
    add all that with a big contract, that sometimes breeds laziness and you have a talented guy that struggles.
    He had to learn a lot of new stuff, hes not very smart and he may have gotten a little lackadaisical about it all.
    Bubba didnt perform last year, and hes sweating his job right now.

I think he will be the starter come the preseason. hes got the experience, and the tools to play and i think standing and watching Lee take his snaps will just push him back into the lineup. Mostly i still believe that the coaches still think hes gonna be the number one TE, just trying to light a fire under him. i think we will keep Bubba, Lee, Alcorn, and Harris. and they will play in that order.

14. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Watch for key words to describe the "new" TE "rotation".

I don't think Alcorn is being given enough credit for his progress.
    Harris will have an easier time of making the team at Long Snapper.
    Harris may be a practice squad guy this year.

Bubba is too expensive to cut this year but could very well be gone next year.

I thought all last year that Lee was the best tight end and that Martin (Tyrone Davis Jr.) should have been cut years ago.

15. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I think Alcorn is the sleeper in this bunch...a pleasant suprise in the waiting.

16. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont see Bubba's play last year as "lazy", i think he was just fed up by the fact that his number didnt get called enough to make catches as in the past. This probably just disheartened him and his confiedence in pass catching just died. He got the "jitters" just how a golfer would with his putter.

17. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Those go hand in hand Tiger. If a player doesn't perform assignments for him are reduced.

18. Lare

Lare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I honestly don't see any of the TEs on our roster as being legitimate receiving threats in the offense this season.

Serviceable, good blockers, short-yardage receivers with little run after the catch, yes. But pass receiving threats that can split the seam, stretch the field to leave crossing routes open for the WRs, or make opposing defenses account for them with a safety? Not hardly.

19. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I myself haven't seen enough of the other TE's in the group to make a judgement of how bad, or good they might be.
    It HAS to be better then last year.
    But of course they have to USE the TE in order for them to make a splash on the field. I don't think they had much faith in who they had last year in order to do so.

20. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, Zac Alcorn is very fast, but Lee is the 2nd fastest and most complete TE.

21. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    That would help SO much to have 2 TE's that can make things happen. When we had Chumura and Jackson, look how that opened up the offense.
    The other teams D couldn't take away ALL the weapons. That could make it a REAL fun season for us fans if these guys are decent.

22. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    are the packers keeping that Werner kid around?

23. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    it doesn't show him on the packer depth chart on NFL.com

24. retiredgrampa

retiredgrampa Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I just can't understand why guys like Lee and Alcorn are taking so long to step up. They've had plenty of chances with Bubba looking so bad. Either the coaching at that position is poor or their talent just isn't there. It could be a combination of both. In any event, Lee is being handed his big chance now and he'd damned sure better grab it with both hands. Frankly, I'm not at all sure this group could make it with any other team.

25. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    It's true......they have the chance, if they don't make the best of it it's their own fault.