The TD that wasn't.

Did the Lions get screwed out of a TD?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Firstly, let me just come out and say that I am a life-long, die-hard Green Bay Packers fan. What Matt Flynn did yesterday against the Lions was just amazing and I, by no means, am trying to take away from his stellar performance.

Now then, on to what is irking me (and this goes for EVERY team in the NFL, not just the Lions.). The Lions got screwed out of a TD. A TD that would have made this game a 45-45 tie at the end of regulation, not a 41-45 Packers victory. Titus Young got that ball in the corner of the endzone, got one foot down and CLEARLY dragged his other foot in the endzone. EVERYONE could see it. Even me! As I was sitting there in my Aaron Rodgers jersey and my Packers logo cap I yelled "That is BS! That is a touchdown!" and so did my father-in-law, a die-hard life-long Cowboys fan (I just bring that up to show that neither of us have any Lions favoritism.)

Then, my father-in-law said something that really caught my ear and I thought to myself "That would be a GREAT idea." He said, and I quote:

"If I were coaching that Lions team, I would pull my players right then and there, f*ck the showers, just go to the locker room, get your **** and get on the bus, we're going to the airport. I would FORCE the NFL to deal with this ****. The whole point of playing football is to score TDs and that was clear as day!"

That quote really resonated with me because, well, it is pretty much what needs to be done. Sure, the NFL would quickly call it a forfeit, and fine everyone tons of money for pulling a stunt like that. The Lions still had a chance to win it after that terrible call... However, to be honest, it seems like none of the referees in the NFL are on the same page at all. You get CLEAR TDs called back, roughing the passer calls that are clean plays on the ball, and all other kinds of stupid stuff. For instance, in one game, I saw a defender DIVE at Ben Roethlisberger while he was still holding on to the ball, as the defender is FLYING IN THE AIR Ben throws the ball, then gets hit by said flying defender. The ref calls Roughing the Passer. 1) There was less than 2 seconds between dive and hit and 2) Humans can't do like jets, and PULL UP IN MID FLIGHT. It wasn't even contact above the waist on this play, the got him around the knees/ankles. Hell, even Troy Aikman, a former QB and now broadcaster for Fox has said on multiple occasions "I don't agree with that call of Roughing the Passer." If a QB is going to say that, it clearly tells you something.

After that rant, I just need to say that the NFL has some major reworking that needs to be done. They need to pull all the refs in during the offseason and really get things right. Fire some people, hire new refs...something. Yes, we are all human and the refs are making judgement calls but it seems like the NFL has the worst refs ever. Even MLB Umpires make better calls, and they don't have the luxury of replay.

GO PACK GO! So happy for Matt Flynn after yesterday's performance and I am looking forward to a second Super Bowl championship in a row!!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
You can't act like a two year old if the refs blow a call, no offense. The Lions made enough mistakes that the one blown call didn't cost them the game. They had an easy uncovered touchdown and Johnson dropped the ball. Suh went offsides and in essence continued the Packers scoring drive. Their defense was unable to stop the Packers when it was ahead near the end of the game. They couldn't hang on to the ball. They couldn't tackle when it was needed. Don't blame the refs unless the team has its total act together. It's like the pot calling the kettle black.

Reaction score
Right when it happened, I knew it was a touchdown. When I saw the ref say incomplete I just laughed and swallowed the good luck we just had. I knew they had no challenges left so it couldn't be overturned.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said to my husband I don't know what the ref saw to call it an incomplete,but that was the call new the lions had no more challenges left but for Swatrtz did call a time out because he was upset didn't help bottom line is they were still as much in the game,but the best team won.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why I love the Green Bay Packers and their fans...I voted before I could see results and it made me happy to see all of us know when a BS call goes in our favor. I do that all that time watching packers games if a call is made that helps the pack but is BS.

GO PACK GO
BEST FANS ON EARTH

OP
OP
Chicocheese

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, Croak. The Lions did have terrible defense and made a chunk of mistakes, and maybe that one blown call wouldn't have changed the entire game...but for me it is the principle of the matter. Refs really need to get their heads on straight and get on the same page across the league.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a terrible call on the field, and frankly, Schwartz shouldn't have had to use a challenge there to begin with. However, it was absolutely hilarious watching him throw a temper tantrum like a little ******* the sideline. Our whole bar started chanting "A**hole" at the screen.

It also happened in the first half of the game, and it can't be said that it definitely altered the outcome of the game. You give the Lions those 4 points and the game winds up tied and headed to over time. The Lions got beat, pure and simple.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
since all scoring plays are reviewed now anyways...if its close like this call was, why don't refs just 100% of the time call it a TD?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
since all scoring plays are reviewed now anyways...if its close like this call was, why don't refs just 100% of the time call it a TD?
Because refs are pretty much bad, and not smart. There's another example here that demonstrates this.

The zebras were horrible yesterday, as they often are. I want them to give us breaks like this when it matters: in the playoffs, not yesterday.

That being said, it's only fitting that the f**** a***hole Schwartz is the guy who got dry-lubed!
Couldn't have happened to a more deserving "coach" LOL

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I didn't get to watch the game (I live in the greater Chicagoland area so it was not broadcast and I could not get a good stream), so I did not see the play live. Clearly it was a touchdown. Did it change the game or "take it away" from the Lions? First, I agree with what has been said above -- it was not the last play of the game and the Lions had plenty of other opportunities. Would I have been mad had it happened to the Pack? You bet. But to say that it cost the Lions the game is, for yet another reason, too simplistic.
It is not as simple as just adding the 4 points to their score. Who knows what else might have changed. Maybe because they score sooner the Packers get one more possession and another opportunity to score. It would be like going back in time, any one thing you do differently potentially changes the entire future, so I don't think it is as simple as "that cost us the game" or just adding the 4 points.
Football is and always has been a game that has a human element and that makes it less than perfect, but that is part of the game and one more reason why you have to take care of business. While we may not have had calls go against us that were that dramatic who is to say that any one of the bogus calls that went against us would not have changed the entire complexion of the game and resulted in our getting even more points.
Bottom line: it was a blown/bad call, but I think it is unfair to say it cost them the game (though I admittedly would probably feel differently had it been against the Pack).

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
It was clearly a touchdown but I couldn't help but laugh at Schwartz going ballistic on the sidelines. I think the challenge system and the rules attached to it are plain stupid. Every call on the field that is significant (close first down, touchdown, interception, fumble, reception near the boundary etc) should all be auto-reviewed. I could care less if it slows down the game. Blown calls like that can shift momentum and change the outcome of games.

But that touchdown yesterday that didn't get called, there is no telling if that would have changed the outcome of the game. It's was in the first half. It's not like we wouldn't have been able to respond with a score of our own. But in other cases those calls CAN decide a game.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
There's probably a better example of poor sportsmanship than what Chicocheese's father-in-law suggested but none comes to mind. Such a childish action would have huge repercussions for the Lions' organization.

Some reading this never experienced it so I just want to mention that there was a time when not only were there were no challenges, there were no replays! :eek: (And yes, as a kid I walked 9 miles to school, both ways uphill.)

Here's what I suggest for the NFL: As a multi-billion dollar business it can afford to hire full time officials so it should do that. At the end of every game the NFL grades each official. At the end of the season, fire officials who continuously get calls wrong. Hire great college officials. Switch the replays from on-the-field to the booth as college football does. Why waste the time of having an on-the-field official run over to look under the hood when officials in the booth can "instantly" check the replay? Give the in-the-booth officials the authority to stop play when they see an error that can be corrected. Finally, give the in-the-booth officials a set amount of time to review a play. If they can't decide in that set amount of time, the call on the field stands.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't get to watch the game (I live in the greater Chicagoland area so it was not broadcast and I could not get a good stream), so I did not see the play live. Clearly it was a touchdown. Did it change the game or "take it away" from the Lions? First, I agree with what has been said above -- it was not the last play of the game and the Lions had plenty of other opportunities. Would I have been mad had it happened to the Pack? You bet. But to say that it cost the Lions the game is, for yet another reason, too simplistic.
It is not as simple as just adding the 4 points to their score. Who knows what else might have changed. Maybe because they score sooner the Packers get one more possession and another opportunity to score. It would be like going back in time, any one thing you do differently potentially changes the entire future, so I don't think it is as simple as "that cost us the game" or just adding the 4 points.
Football is and always has been a game that has a human element and that makes it less than perfect, but that is part of the game and one more reason why you have to take care of business. While we may not have had calls go against us that were that dramatic who is to say that any one of the bogus calls that went against us would not have changed the entire complexion of the game and resulted in our getting even more points.
Bottom line: it was a blown/bad call, but I think it is unfair to say it cost them the game (though I admittedly would probably feel differently had it been against the Pack).

Well said..

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Dam-You-Kong Duh hadn't stomped on a Packer then the bad karma wouldn't have followed them into Lambeau.
With that idea of payback, I have no problem with an alleged td not going Detroit's way.

If this had been a "Win-or-go-home" game for the Pack, those on here who think it's unfair for Detroit would have been singing a different tune or not singing at all.

Sometimes life is just unfair and that's just the way it goes.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Complaining about how the game was called, is ultimately done best by the loser! I've howled at many a bad call against the Pack and it has never once reversed the outcome and we were still losers in those games. Some of the calls have even come in extremely critical situations such as playoff games! However; for every bad call in those games, I can point out 2-3 missed opportunities by the Packers to win the game outright without the emphasis being on how the bad call "lost" the game for the Pack. I howled in protest on Sunday, when Masthay's gorgeous punt was called back cuz the ball "hadn't been put into play" (but the ref gave him the dang ball!!) or Grant got a PF for doing a snow angel (NFL: seriously????). Still no reversal in ref decisions on these calls! Darn!

Yes, I voted that it was clearly a TD but the Lions, also clearly, had opportunities to win the game regardless of the bad call. During the game, I realized right away that Schwartz had no red flags. I found his little hissy-fit dance quite entertaining but it did not reverse the outcome of that particular call. :roflmao: Too damn bad for the Lions...last I checked both teams were playing under the same set of rules, interpreted by the same human refs. If the Lions want to bark with the Big Dogs; they need to find those 2-3 missed opportunities...and quit whining with the puppies! ;)

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I've howled at many a bad call against the Pack and it has never once reversed the outcome and we were still losers in those games. Some of the calls have even come in extremely critical situations such as playoff games!

Like maybe the personal foul face mask no-call/fumble against Arizona?

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I'm sure I would've been pissed like Schwartz, I laughed HARD watching him throw his headset around and kick at it while screaming at the officials!

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was clearly a touchdown but I couldn't help but laugh at Schwartz going ballistic on the sidelines. I think the challenge system and the rules attached to it are plain stupid. Every call on the field that is significant (close first down, touchdown, interception, fumble, reception near the boundary etc) should all be auto-reviewed. I could care less if it slows down the game.

Oh hell no. The games already last 3:15 to 3:30 with challenges as it is. NFL has so damn many rules that it has become a game of litigation and I, for one, hate that trend. I would rather do away with challenges altogether than to have 4 hour games because of endless challenges.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
If that happened to the Packers, you would all be very upset and probably saying the same thing Lions fans are saying over on other forums about the refs.

If Detroit got that TD, it would have went into OT 45-45 possibly, but with Stafford getting picked off on the last drive of the game, I'd say Detroit would have won it by a FG if they had final possession and it was tied like that. Our defense was playing to lose giving up 500 passing yards, and had that call been officiated correctly, we probably would have gave up over 600 yards. Sad but true.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh hell no. The games already last 3:15 to 3:30 with challenges as it is. NFL has so damn many rules that it has become a game of litigation and I, for one, hate that trend. I would rather do away with challenges altogether than to have 4 hour games because of endless challenges.
But with the commercials during the challenge period, you wouldn't need as many media timeouts. I recall a recent game, I forget which , when there was a score which was sent to replay review. Commercial. Score upheld. Extra point. Commercial. Kickoff. Commercial. I think it might have been like right at the end or start of a quarter also. I don't think the games would be any longer in that the commercials after kickoffs could be eliminated or reduced with more replay challenges.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts