The Solution to the Packers Offense

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Because of the Davante Adams saga, the wide receiver position has gotten virtually all of the attention as concerns the Green Bay offense. And certainly, his departure really matters and I would not argue otherwise. But, the Packers' offense is capable of succeeding without Adams on the team (and I believe it will). The solution isn't to add back in a talent like Davante.

It's health and execution on the offensive line.

Drive #2 (Punt) was ended by quick pressure and a sack as Za'Darius went right through Jake Hanson.

Drive #3 (Downs) was ended when Jonathan Bullard (a mere journeyman) reset the LOS against Hanson and stuffed A.J. Dillon.

Drive #5 (Interception) was ended when Harrison Phillips (again, a journeyman) went right through a Myers/Hanson double team, flushed Rodgers, and #12 decided to throw an ill-advised pass to Cobb while rolling left (not absolving Rodgers on that play, but it doesn't happen if there's protection).

Drive #7 (Fumble) was DOA when Za'Darius knifed right between Myers and Runyan immediately (they ended up blocking each other-- go watch).

That's in addition to drive #9 ending with a sack (more of the coverage variety, but Rodgers still didn't have a ton of time) and drive #10 ending on downs because of an incompletion when even if that pass had been caught, it would have been called back due to a penalty.

The point is this: the narrative on Sunday was "Look how many yards Adams has compared to the Packers' offense." That ain't it. The offense didn't function because the OL was not executing.

In a few weeks when the line is some combination of Bakhtiari, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, and Nijman, things will look markedly different. They may look markedly different this Sunday if the guys on the field play a little bit better.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drive #5 (Interception) was ended when Harrison Phillips (again, a journeyman) went right through a Myers/Hanson double team, flushed Rodgers, and #12 decided to throw an ill-advised pass to Cobb while rolling left (not absolving Rodgers on that play, but it doesn't happen if there's protection).
Agree about the O line and for me, who the coaches are choosing to play and where. If I remember correctly though; that interception came with not much time left and he let it go because it did not matter. He gave the receiver a chance instead of worrying about his stats.

Reaction score
Just saw that OT Caleb Jones is being elevated from PS this week. Wondering if it may be so that Newman can slide inside at RG? Anything to put Hanson back on the sidelines works for me. ;)
Yes. It seems it fits 2 purposes. Hanson is really more an ascending backup option. Secondly, Newman wasn't really all that strong at RT and we can't have our QB getting assaulted, at least Caleb might be deemed harder to push around and harder to run around

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now, Zach Tom is one of the best 5. They need to find a spot for him, whether it be tackle or guard.
A lot depends on Jenkins & Bakhtiari & when they'll actually play. Tom was 1st up when Runyan left with concussion. Depending on Runyan's availability Tom may start at LG or possibly RT... or they may keep him as the emergency fill-in-wherever-needed guy?

D

Deleted member 6794

If I remember correctly though; that interception came with not much time left and he let it go because it did not matter. He gave the receiver a chance instead of worrying about his stats.

You're right, Rodgers' interception happen on a play with 35 seconds left in the first half. It was still an ill-advised pass as it gave the Vikings the ball on their own 30 with two timeouts left. They would have had enough time to score before the half.

Members online

Latest posts