1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The return of the SuperStarks

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Kitten, Sep 15, 2013.

1. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +845
    Same for Dickerson, Peterson, Robert Smith, Chris Johnson, Steven Jackson, Eddie George, Marcus Allen, Roger Craig, Paul Hornung and tons of other guys. It's just a running style. Downhill runners get dinged too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    The ONE time I am ok with a player getting a concussion... Serves Meriweather right after he laughed when he had that helmet to helmet hit on Lacy which had clearly injured him right away.

3. Cheesehead625

Cheesehead625 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +152
    You'd think they'd be all for us since we got them their job back. However, if I was a lawyer and this was my second job, I might want to stay home too. There is the perk of being on the field though. I don't understand why our games always feel lopsided in terms of flags.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. easyk83

easyk83 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +338
    Look at the highlight of the injury on NFL.com, Starks' body language just screamed contempt.

5. Chicocheese

Chicocheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +209
    Man, James "The Iron Man" Starks looked GREAT yesterday! I was so pumped to see him be explosive right out of the gate, and that 32 yard TD run was the icing on the cake!

Also, just a fun little side note... as most of us know, our last 100 yard rushing game was in 2010 vs. the Redskins (oddly enough.) and it was 45 games ago. However, you all remember who the leading reciever was in that game for the Packers? No? The answer is:

James Jones! Although he did NOT have 178 yards back in 2010 (he had 66 or so.) it is a bit of a cool coinkydink.

--Rob.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. I_am_smoked_cheddar

I_am_smoked_cheddar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    One game's success does not make one an instant superstar. Congratulations to Starks and his teammates for having a good, not great, game running the football. I weight the credit on the hard working Packers that enabled Starks to have success on the Packer's home field. If the TEAM can continue with this, Lacy should have decent run blocking when he returns to his #1 spot.
    That said, I hope Aaron Rodgers is still our QB when Lacy returns. The pass blocking needs to protect him better. Barclay in particular, as he fills in for Balaga. The season is only going to get tougher down the road.

7. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +845
    I'm not sure they'll face a tougher pass rush than they have these first two games.

8. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Day Tripper

Ratings:
    +67
    I thought the line played well in both facets. 3 of the 4 sacks came in a span of about 4 or 5 plays. The Redskins clearly came in with a game plan to confuse our young tackles, but after that short span of plays, the line made adjustments and protected Rodgers well for the remainder of the game. PFF even praised the line in their game review. One thing that caught my attention:
    It also helps that Rodgers was efficient in his reads and was able to get the ball out quickly. Also from PFF:

9. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +607
    And your point? Starks wasn't the one trying to tackle head first into his helmet. Meriweather tried another helmet to helmet hit on Starks, and Starks broke the tackle... He didn't do the dirty move there, Meriweather did.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. I_am_smoked_cheddar

I_am_smoked_cheddar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If the O-Line could do a bit better, then I would not feel any need to comment on them. Four sacks are never a good thing. I cringe every time #12 goes down. Stats can be a good thing, but even better is #12 not getting his a$$ kicked by huge body bruising opponents. I do not want to see a repeat of last season that saw AR beat up and abused. Starks is just not a great pass blocker, Lacy is better and will improve. He has good size, strength, and agility. I support Starks as well as any other player that made this team, yet he is simply filling in for Lacy.

11. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +845
    After what that POS did to Lacy, give me one good reason why he shouldn't have looked on him with utter contempt.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Day Tripper

Ratings:
    +67
    Agreed. What was encouraging was that after giving up 3 quick sacks early, the O-line made the necessary adjustments, and it didn't seem like pressure was much of an issue for most of the remainder of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,487
    And if you watch the replay, numerous Packers tried to give Meriweather an encouraging handshake, slap on the back, etc, and he shunned every one of them. Like they were somehow at fault for his circumstance. What a douche.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. melvin dangerr

melvin dangerr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +105
    A

15. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    I'm not convinced honestly. Most of Starks' big gains were during garbage time. He did look better in pass protection though.

I'm hoping Eddie Lacy's concussion isn't bad and he can get back in there soon.

16. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +845
    How much concern did Meriweather show after intentionally hurting Lacy?

17. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    Give him this week off then they have the bye week...So for the 5th week

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +845
    We don't even know how bad it is as of now. If he passes his test protocol, no reason for him not to play.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  19. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Well the Redskin defense was garbage all day so you could be right on Starks. Still I saw some pretty good runs from him before true garbage time set in.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  20. robertk328

robertk328 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
    Bengals looked tough last night against the Steelers. But Ben held the ball way too long a few times.

21. robertk328

robertk328 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
    I don't think he was saying Starks was in the wrong. There was a debate as to exactly what happened and easyk83 was explaining what happened. Check post 16.

22. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Sorry Kitten, I don't consider ONE good outting from starks his "return".......he has never ever been that good. What made him look so "good" was the poor showing from the skins D line. I saw holes in that line that you could have drove a dump truck through. Any RB in the NFL would have had a field day with those massive lanes and holes to run through. Hell, if Lacy had not got hurt, I bet you would have seen a crap ton yards from him.

23. Crazy Packers Fan

Crazy Packers Fan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +116
    By the way, Steelers fans would have celebrated the injury, not cheered for him as he walked off like the Packers fans did. Very classy of the Packers fans despite having no reason to do so.

As for Starks, I never lost faith in him, it's been the offensive line I've had the problem with. The line played well, after the early hiccups at least.

24. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,994
    Word is Meriweather will only get a fine for the Lacy hit..No suspension or fine for Stark's hit

25. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    The problem is: these fines are so weak. Not a great hit to these high paid players pocket. Some fines are what players spend in one night going out to dinner and going to the club. If you really want to hurt a REPEAT offender like merriweather or Suh, 3 game suspension without pay.....that should be a wake up call.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1