The return of the SuperStarks

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Starks is SuperStarks, what's his cryptonite? So far the answer has been air, any time he breathes he gets hurt. He runs too upright.
Same for ****erson, Peterson, Robert Smith, Chris Johnson, Steven Jackson, Eddie George, Marcus Allen, Roger Craig, Paul Hornung and tons of other guys. It's just a running style. Downhill runners get dinged too.

Reaction score
I was wrong on Starks for at least one game. Still didn't like that chicken **** hit on Lacy.
The ONE time I am ok with a player getting a concussion... Serves Meriweather right after he laughed when he had that helmet to helmet hit on Lacy which had clearly injured him right away.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Refs are definitely against us.
Blew a few other calls as well.
Darn good thing we had this one done by the end of the 1st half.

You'd think they'd be all for us since we got them their job back. However, if I was a lawyer and this was my second job, I might want to stay home too. There is the perk of being on the field though. I don't understand why our games always feel lopsided in terms of flags.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ONE time I am ok with a player getting a concussion... Serves Meriweather right after he laughed when he had that helmet to helmet hit on Lacy which had clearly injured him right away.

Look at the highlight of the injury on NFL.com, Starks' body language just screamed contempt.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, James "The Iron Man" Starks looked GREAT yesterday! I was so pumped to see him be explosive right out of the gate, and that 32 yard TD run was the icing on the cake!

Also, just a fun little side note... as most of us know, our last 100 yard rushing game was in 2010 vs. the Redskins (oddly enough.) and it was 45 games ago. However, you all remember who the leading reciever was in that game for the Packers? No? The answer is:

James Jones! Although he did NOT have 178 yards back in 2010 (he had 66 or so.) it is a bit of a cool coinkydink.

--Rob.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

One game's success does not make one an instant superstar. Congratulations to Starks and his teammates for having a good, not great, game running the football. I weight the credit on the hard working Packers that enabled Starks to have success on the Packer's home field. If the TEAM can continue with this, Lacy should have decent run blocking when he returns to his #1 spot.
That said, I hope Aaron Rodgers is still our QB when Lacy returns. The pass blocking needs to protect him better. Barclay in particular, as he fills in for Balaga. The season is only going to get tougher down the road.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That said, I hope Aaron Rodgers is still our QB when Lacy returns. The pass blocking needs to protect him better. Barclay in particular, as he fills in for Balaga. The season is only going to get tougher down the road.
I'm not sure they'll face a tougher pass rush than they have these first two games.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
That said, I hope Aaron Rodgers is still our QB when Lacy returns. The pass blocking needs to protect him better. Barclay in particular, as he fills in for Balaga.
I thought the line played well in both facets. 3 of the 4 sacks came in a span of about 4 or 5 plays. The Redskins clearly came in with a game plan to confuse our young tackles, but after that short span of plays, the line made adjustments and protected Rodgers well for the remainder of the game. PFF even praised the line in their game review. One thing that caught my attention:
After picking up two early sacks, Ryan Kerrigan could muster just one more pressure on his 38 total pass rushes.
It also helps that Rodgers was efficient in his reads and was able to get the ball out quickly. Also from PFF:
33 of his 46 dropbacks saw him get rid of the ball within 2.5 seconds. That 71.7% score is the highest of any quarterback in Week 2.

Reaction score
Look at the highlight of the injury on NFL.com, Starks' body language just screamed contempt.
And your point? Starks wasn't the one trying to tackle head first into his helmet. Meriweather tried another helmet to helmet hit on Starks, and Starks broke the tackle... He didn't do the dirty move there, Meriweather did.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

If the O-Line could do a bit better, then I would not feel any need to comment on them. Four sacks are never a good thing. I cringe every time #12 goes down. Stats can be a good thing, but even better is #12 not getting his *** kicked by huge body bruising opponents. I do not want to see a repeat of last season that saw AR beat up and abused. Starks is just not a great pass blocker, Lacy is better and will improve. He has good size, strength, and agility. I support Starks as well as any other player that made this team, yet he is simply filling in for Lacy.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if you watch the replay, numerous Packers tried to give Meriweather an encouraging handshake, slap on the back, etc, and he shunned every one of them. Like they were somehow at fault for his circumstance. What a ******.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
A
Did you see how Starks reacted after the play, he just stared at Merriweather's prone form as he slowly walked back to the huddle and then celebrated. Ordinarily I don't like it when player's celebrate after hurting another, but with that thug paybacks are justified.[/quote. A replacement ref would have thrown a flag

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
He was one of my favorite players from the SB year, it's great to see Starks back in form with a 100+ day! It's been a long time, lots of doubts but SuperStarks is BACK!

I'm not convinced honestly. Most of Starks' big gains were during garbage time. He did look better in pass protection though.

I'm hoping Eddie Lacy's concussion isn't bad and he can get back in there soon.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can see the play on NFL.com, Starks stared then celebrated with teammates. He definitely didn't express concern, at least not until after he celebrated.
How much concern did Meriweather show after intentionally hurting Lacy?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced honestly. Most of Starks' big gains were during garbage time. He did look better in pass protection though.

I'm hoping Eddie Lacy's concussion isn't bad and he can get back in there soon.

Give him this week off then they have the bye week...So for the 5th week

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't even know how bad it is as of now. If he passes his test protocol, no reason for him not to play.

Last edited:

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the Redskin defense was garbage all day so you could be right on Starks. Still I saw some pretty good runs from him before true garbage time set in.

Last edited:

robertk328

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And your point? Starks wasn't the one trying to tackle head first into his helmet. Meriweather tried another helmet to helmet hit on Starks, and Starks broke the tackle... He didn't do the dirty move there, Meriweather did.
After what that POS did to Lacy, give me one good reason why he shouldn't have looked on him with utter contempt.
How much concern did Meriweather show after intentionally hurting Lacy?
I don't think he was saying Starks was in the wrong. There was a debate as to exactly what happened and easyk83 was explaining what happened. Check post 16.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Sorry Kitten, I don't consider ONE good outting from starks his "return".......he has never ever been that good. What made him look so "good" was the poor showing from the skins D line. I saw holes in that line that you could have drove a dump truck through. Any RB in the NFL would have had a field day with those massive lanes and holes to run through. Hell, if Lacy had not got hurt, I bet you would have seen a crap ton yards from him.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way, Steelers fans would have celebrated the injury, not cheered for him as he walked off like the Packers fans did. Very classy of the Packers fans despite having no reason to do so.

As for Starks, I never lost faith in him, it's been the offensive line I've had the problem with. The line played well, after the early hiccups at least.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Word is Meriweather will only get a fine for the Lacy hit..No suspension or fine for Stark's hit

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Word is Meriweather will only get a fine for the Lacy hit..No suspension or fine for Stark's hit

The problem is: these fines are so weak. Not a great hit to these high paid players pocket. Some fines are what players spend in one night going out to dinner and going to the club. If you really want to hurt a REPEAT offender like merriweather or Suh, 3 game suspension without pay.....that should be a wake up call.

Members online

Latest posts