The regular season is coming to a close, any new thoughts?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Thanks Un4.....not a big deal, but started making me think and take notice, when I heard Buck and Aikman talk about it. I'm not a huge "combine 40's" guy, but logic would tell you, that speed can be a factor when it comes to a lot of positions. Funny you posted the Eagles thing, because when we played them in the preseason, yes preseason....I kept saying "is it just me or do we look like we are running in slow motion out there compared to the Eagles?"

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Build your team with speed and your weakness will be smashmouth teams. Build your team into a smashmouth group and your weakness will be speed. One, the other or in-between, doesn't matter..just build it with talented guys that want to win.

I think the key is to build speed in the right positions... Wide receiver, corner, one safety, and a MLB.

Speed everywhere is quite pointless. You need power too.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Build your team with speed and your weakness will be smashmouth teams. Build your team into a smashmouth group and your weakness will be speed. One or the other, doesn't matter..just build it with talented guys that want to win.

Can you get me a graph on "smashmouth" and where the Packers rank....maybe if we cross the two and divide by 2 and add 1.....we are onto something here :coffee:

Thanks for the graph Un4......appears I'm barking up the wrong tree. Maybe it's our slow cleats? :whistling:

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you get me a graph on "smashmouth" and where the Packers rank....maybe if we cross the two and divide by 2 and add 1.....we are onto something here :coffee:

Thanks for the graph Un4......appears I'm barking up the wrong tree. Maybe it's our slow cleats? :whistling:

No problem I was curious too, cool to see it.

I don't think you are... I think you are on the right path. But my thought is, team speed isn't as important as position speed.

I do think the team lacks energy at times, which can make them look slower too.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score

After last weeks performance I'm not sure I could even confirm to you that they are the Green Bay Packers..but at least in theory coming into the year with Lacy, Kuhn, our offensive line and an improving defense an argument could be made somewhere in the general vicinity of smashmouth on the "graph".

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the key is to build speed in the right positions... Wide receiver, corner, one safety, and a MLB.

Speed everywhere is quite pointless. You need power too.
I would tend to agree although I'm not sure if it's quite that clear cut. Anquan Boldin, Richard Sherman, Ed Reed & many others were never considered "fast" coming into the NFL, yet each one found great success through a more smashmouth style in the positions you mentioned.

MLB's now have a speed element required. Boy, the days of guys like Nitschke and even Urlacher are over aren't they?

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Build your team with speed and your weakness will be smashmouth teams. Build your team into a smashmouth group and your weakness will be speed. One, the other or in-between, doesn't matter..just build it with talented guys that want to win.

Well I mean Seattle plays with speed and is a smash mouth defense. I also don't know why people don't think Arizona is a smash mouth team. They seem to smash teams around on defense as well.

The Jaguars are also built similarly. Their secondary is horrible, but Telvin Smith is a fast ILB who can cover and tackle. Wish we didn't miss on him :(

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
New thought for me; use Kuhn more before his time runs out. He is a talent and, in my opinion, could be employed to add more to the offense than just blocking. But he *is* a local boy and I'm a homer.

Cobbosanlucas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakhtiari has to go. We definitely need someone with proven experience at left tackle. ILB is another glaringweakness on this team. The D-line has some depth and I like the personnel we have right now. I'm not wild about our CB situation. Shields is too small and too slow to handle a lot of the better receivers in the game. While I think Rollins has potential, I don't think much of Randle. He has a lot of the same deficiencies as Shields and he gambles way too much. Our wide receivers would not even challenge most college football secondaries and the TE position is a train wreck. We still have the most talented QB in the game, and if we can surround him with better talent, I still think this team can be a serious contender for many years to come.

I would like to see Jeff Janis get more regular playing time. He reminds me a lot of Jordy Nelson. He has deceptive speed and he's tall and rangy like Jordy. Only time will tell if his hands are as good as those of Nelson.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Shields is too small and too slow to handle a lot of the better receivers in the game. While I think Rollins has potential, I don't think much of Randle. He has a lot of the same deficiencies as Shields and he gambles way too much. I would like to see Jeff Janis get more regular playing time. He reminds me a lot of Jordy Nelson. He has deceptive speed and he's tall and rangy like Jordy. Only time will tell if his hands are as good as those of Nelson.
Sometimes I just don't know what fans are watching. According to nfldraft scout, here are Shields 40 times: Low: 4.20, Time: 4.30, High: 4.4.1 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=66392&draftyear=2010&genpos=CB On his pro day, "According to NFL.com’s Gil Brandt, Shields “worked his way into draft consideration” by running the 40-yard dash in 4.30 and 4.33 seconds and also adding a 39-inch vertical jump and doing 15 bench press reps of 225 pounds despite weighing in at only 190 pounds."
http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpos...d-push-hurricanes-sam-shields-into-nfl-draft/

Shields is not slow. And if you don't like Randall, again I don't know what you're watching. For a rookie CB he's doing a great job and unless he is significantly injured he'll be a very good to great player for the Packers for some time to come.

If you want to know how Janis is not like Nelson, all you have to do is search for "Janis" on this board. He's a great special teamer but he has tons to learn about the WR position.

Cobbosanlucas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speed doesn't really matter much when you are consistently out of position like Shields. He consistently gets beaten by good receivers. And if you think Randle is doing a good job, then I question what games YOU are watching. As for Jeff Janis, how is he going to learn how to be a good wide receiver if he doesn't get an opportunity to play. Davante Adams has had 2 years and he still sucks. I don't see how Janis could be any worse.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Speed doesn't really matter much when you are consistently out of position like Shields.
I could have sworn you typed he's "too slow", so which is it? Is he too slow or doesn't speed matter for a CB?
And if you think Randle is doing a good job, then I question what games YOU are watching. As for Jeff Janis, how is he going to learn how to be a good wide receiver if he doesn't get an opportunity to play. Davante Adams has had 2 years and he still sucks. I don't see how Janis could be any worse.
I just wanted to save this post about Damarious Randall (I assume that's who you're referencing). As for Janis he should have learned how to be a good WR in practice and in the classroom. Why do you think Abbrederis runs better routes adjusting to the defense better after the snap than Janis? He's been on the team the same amount of time as Janis and lost an entire season due to injury. I'd like Janis to get on the field more at WR but they apparently would have to dumb-down the offense for him - and there's no one to blame for that but Janis.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakhtiari has to go. We definitely need someone with proven experience at left tackle. ILB is another glaringweakness on this team. The D-line has some depth and I like the personnel we have right now. I'm not wild about our CB situation. Shields is too small and too slow to handle a lot of the better receivers in the game. While I think Rollins has potential, I don't think much of Randle. He has a lot of the same deficiencies as Shields and he gambles way too much. Our wide receivers would not even challenge most college football secondaries and the TE position is a train wreck. We still have the most talented QB in the game, and if we can surround him with better talent, I still think this team can be a serious contender for many years to come.

I would like to see Jeff Janis get more regular playing time. He reminds me a lot of Jordy Nelson. He has deceptive speed and he's tall and rangy like Jordy. Only time will tell if his hands are as good as those of Nelson.

While I agree we need an upgrade at LT, I can't agree with the thoughts about our corners. For two rookies, these guys are handling their own and can only get better. Speed is definitely not the main thing a corner needs. Look at Sherman, his technique is what sets him apart because he's pretty slow for a corner. And yes I know they are not as big as Sherman, but neither is Jason Verrett.

I really hope there's a hidden gem at tight end in this draft. Possibly OJ Howard because Alabama definitely did not showcase him. He might be a steal and he definitely has the size. I'd be completely happy with a decent tight end and possibly a mid round speedster at wide receiver. I think those are the weapons this team is desperately needing. Size in the middle of the field and someone to add speed to stretch the field. The only problem is, it takes time for a young tight end to assimilate into the NFL and start producing.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not wild about our CB situation. Shields is too small and too slow to handle a lot of the better receivers in the game.

Where did you get this info? He may be the fastest person on the team... And one of the fastest in the division.

While I agree we need an upgrade at LT, I can't agree with the thoughts about our corners. For two rookies, these guys are handling their own and can only get better. Speed is definitely not the main thing a corner needs. Look at Sherman, his technique is what sets him apart because he's pretty slow for a corner. And yes I know they are not as big as Sherman, but neither is Jason Verrett.

You name one with average speed... How about this.

Deon Sanders - 4.27
Revis - 4.38
DMC - 4.29

Now you can find plenty of good ones, that aren't fast. But they can be exploited by the right receivers. Look at Julio last week. His speed is just too much for Norman, so they stopped even having him shadow Julio in the second half. Then gave up a huge play because he wasn't on him. At times he made Norman look like a rookie.

Speed isn't the main or best attribute but it is important. And if you have the other things, speed is HUGE bonus to your craft.

There is no magical equation for the perfect player. But if you tell me you can give me two of any position on the field. With the exact same attributes. Only one guy is faster than the other. I'll take the faster one. Even if it's a punter.

Last edited: