The regular season is coming to a close, any new thoughts?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still believe that ILB is a huge need for this team, but I'm also thinking we need to add some OL. Specifically some talented tackles. Rodgers is getting killed and that's our weakest spot on the Oline.

We need to upgrade our weapons as well. A talented tight end and either a quick or big body receiver would really help Rodgers out.

I understand DL is somewhat of a need since we have a few guys in their contract year. However, I think we can fill these holes later in the draft. That being said I think we needs look like this ILB, OL, TE/WR, DL.

Thoughts?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I still believe that ILB is a huge need for this team, but I'm also thinking we need to add some OL. Specifically some talented tackles. Rodgers is getting killed and that's our weakest spot on the Oline.

We need to upgrade our weapons as well. A talented tight end and either a quick or big body receiver would really help Rodgers out.

I understand DL is somewhat of a need since we have a few guys in their contract year. However, I think we can fill these holes later in the draft. That being said I think we needs look like this ILB, OL, TE/WR, DL.

Thoughts?
With Jordy and Monty being back next season, I'll roll the dice at WR. The rest of the roster except QB and DB is on the table. Depends on how free agency shakes out.

Reaction score
I agree with the needs but after yesterday possibly switching OL and ILB. I think if we could draft a later light linebacker or heavy safety that has speed it could completely change the defense. I think Arizona has a new position in Bucannon it was obvious when D. Johnson was galloping away from Jake Ryan yesterday. Even with that I think they could grab one mid to late rounds that fits the mold. With great Tackles being highly regarded I would rather see a OL pick early

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
My "new thought" is the OP doesn't contain any new thoughts.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No question in my mind, especially after yesterdays game, the Packers #1 priority in the off season is the O-line and left tackle. Not only do they not have a starter at the position, they don't even have capable back-ups. This is one year I would like to see TT hit the FA market and do what he has to do get a veteran with proven experience to fill the most glaring hole on the offensive line. After that, ILB, TE, WR.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where to start with this team...

ILB is a need for sure, but I don't think we'll be getting anyone too **** via the draft. Jaylon will and Reggie will probably be off the board before we pick in the 1st. If you read about any of the other round 2-5 prospects, you'll find them all referred to in some way as "instinctive, but not that athletic." Description certainly doesn't get me excited... Scooby would be a fan favorite right away, but I dunno about him.

I think we're more likely to take an OLB in the 1st and keep Clay playing inside. He's good there, and he's getting to be on the wrong side of 30. Guys can play at an elite level longer in the middle than they can on the outside, so I think he's stuck there. I think there's gonna be a run on linebackers before our pick comes up and we could see the top 5-6 off the board by then, so I dunno who would potentially be our guy.

Defensive line will possibly need some depth picks depending on which of our free agents we retain. If Raji stays in Green Bay, I don't see it as being a huge need. This is not a very impressive draft class, but DL is one area where there is a lot of depth.

I think we're good enough in the secondary for now to consider it a lower priority.

I think we're good enough at WR to consider it a lower priority, but I will not be in the least bit surprised to see Ted use a 2-4 pick on one. Not a first, and not a late rounder. I want some Mike Williams in green and gold. I think he could be Dez/CJ good with Rodgers, and could be had in the 2nd round.

Not very excited by any TE this year, but if we don't take a WR in the 2-4 range, I expect a TE to be taken in there.

RB, idk. Lacy is a mystery. Regardless, Starks is a little old for a RB. Will likely draft one.

OL looks to be a bigger need than I'd have thought coming into the season. Will almost certainly draft one on day 2 and maybe another day 3.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree LT is a huge need hut Ryan's glaring lack of athleticism means that ILB is a big need as well. That said the biggest need is TE. No way will "draft and develop" fix all of the holes on this team in time for the Packers to avert wasting the remaining g good years that Rodgers has left.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the top 3 "needs", in no particular order, are OT, ILB & TE. Before many bowl games or combine these are guys that I'd like (before they plummet or skyrocket up draftboards) :
Rnd 1: LT - Taylor Decker (OSU) or Jack Conklin (MSU)
Rnd 2: TE - Hunter Henry (Ark)
Rnd 3: ILB - Best "TRUE" ILB, not another attempted-convert OLB. CM3 needs to be outside with an instinctive, thumper, ILB hurting offenses. Davis, Brothers, Beckwith, McKinzy, Matakevich

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My "new thought" is the OP doesn't contain any new thoughts.
I'll disagree here. We weren't even talking about offensive line in the beginning of the year except maybe some depth in the later rounds. Now I think we've bumped this need up significantly.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the top 3 "needs", in no particular order, are OT, ILB & TE. Before many bowl games or combine these are guys that I'd like (before they plummet or skyrocket up draftboards) :
Rnd 1: LT - Taylor Decker (OSU) or Jack Conklin (MSU)
Rnd 2: TE - Hunter Henry (Ark)
Rnd 3: ILB - Best "TRUE" ILB, not another attempted-convert OLB. CM3 needs to be outside with an instinctive, thumper, ILB hurting offenses. Davis, Brothers, Beckwith, McKinzy, Matakevich

I might throw in a tweener at ILB. I like the way some teams are using a bigger SS as a linebacker. It seems to work for coverage in the middle which we have trouble with and would probably fit Caper's scheme well. Possibly Su'a Cravens?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I think WR/TE are glaring needs. I do not think that Jordy and Montgomery are going to fix that fact that we are the only team in the NFL without a stud on offense we can always count on that is not our QB. And saying that Jordy will fix everything, when he is one season off of two surgeries is being overhopeful. Offensive line needs more size/power, our utility guys are getting old and our young guys do not give me too much hope for the future. Inside linebacker is a huge need, first round need.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I might throw in a tweener at ILB. I like the way some teams are using a bigger SS as a linebacker. It seems to work for coverage in the middle which we have trouble with and would probably fit Caper's scheme well. Possibly Su'a Cravens?
I still can not understand why MM didn't run directly at AZ's 210 lb ILB/SS, yesterday. He filled holes and covered RB's/TE's very, very well, but running 235+ lb. Lacy at him continually would have beat-him-up or exposed him (I would have thought).

I'd rather not think about GB's D next year with a 210-220 lb ILB ~ the coverage might be nice, but think he'd get abused.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still can not understand why MM didn't run directly at AZ's 210 lb ILB/SS, yesterday. He filled holes and covered RB's/TE's very, very well, but running 235+ lb. Lacy at him continually would have beat-him-up or exposed him (I would have thought).

I'd rather not think about GB's D next year with a 210-220 lb ILB ~ the coverage might be nice, but think he'd get abused.

Have you watched any other Cardinal games? They don't exactly get abused by the run. Deone is as solid as they come. He has technique and skill that makes him a very good tackler.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would love to have Bucannon playing ILB for the Packers. The guy has speed, coverage ability and can tackle. I haven't watched the Cardinals this year much, but the little I have, the guy looks great in there. Brilliant switch by the coaches. As far as running directly at him, that would have required our O-line to move the Cardinals front line and we didn't and had we, he looks like he can tackle (even Lacy).

Jake Ryan is only 19 lbs (on paper) heavier. I hope Jake works out, but would take Bucannon any day.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Buck and Aikman referred to how Arizona has built their team around "speed". Have looked for the stats, but can't find any that ranks teams based on total speed. Would be an interesting Stat to see. It was obvious yesterday who the faster team was.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yesterday was 1st time really watching Buchanon at ILB, and don't disagree that he's a solid tackler and really good in coverage... but I think he's an anomaly and those types are few & far between. Ryan is listed at 240 lbs. and J. Thomas at 227 and both are considered "light" for ILB. I think if Capers was going to sacrifice size at ILB that player had better be a 4.5 or faster guy AND dynamite in coverage/blitzing to minimize the size deficit.

Back on-topic I still think we need a stud LT in Rnd 1 who can pass block AND run block to help the offense.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buck and Aikman referred to how Arizona has built their team around "speed". Have looked for the stats, but can't find any that ranks teams based on total speed. Would be an interesting Stat to see. It was obvious yesterday who the faster team was.

This is with Jordy... And just 40 times. BTW look at the bottom 2 and how they are doing...

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/6/26/8842621/bengals-among-slowest-nfl-based-40-times

I think it is hard to judge though... I mean Jordy isn't a fast 40 times guy but you have seen him yourself on game-day. So I think this gives you an idea.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Drafting a ready made OT with the 23rd or later pick is going to be a tall order. I don't think Decker (OSU) will be around much past 15 and Conklin (MSU) may be gone as well. It's going to cost the Packers more, but I wouldn't be opposed to signing a proven LT in free agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is with Jordy... And just 40 times. BTW look at the bottom 2 and how they are doing...

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/6/26/8842621/bengals-among-slowest-nfl-based-40-times

I think it is hard to judge though... I mean Jordy isn't a fast 40 times guy but you have seen him yourself on game-day. So I think this gives you an idea.

I was talking about team speed, I think that shows average WR speed? No doubt our current WR's are a slow group, but would be curious to see total team speed.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You ask and you shall receive....

Interesting the Packers are the 5th fastest team in the NFL.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Build your team with speed and your weakness will be smashmouth teams. Build your team into a smashmouth group and your weakness will be speed. One, the other or in-between, doesn't matter..just build it with talented guys that want to win.