The real audition for Joey ThomasMike Hawkins

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Detroit Lions have 3 very talented recievers. This means, besides Al Harris and Ahmad "holding,28 Defense" Carroll, JOEY THOMASMIKE HAWKINS will see a LOT of playing time.

I expect the Lions to come out with a LOT of 3 WR sets to exploit our young inexperienced DBs.

How Ahmad carroll does against (probably) Charles Rogers will decide if Joey ThomasMike Hawkins play more than he does in the weeks after that.

Also, expect the Lions to put Roy Williams, and Mike williams on one side, with al harris and joey thomas covering. This would leave Ahmad Carroll with Charles Rogers on the other side alone, probably on nick collins side, another young player.

I see the lions "TRYING" to exploit us all day these ways.

The last preseason game showed us grady jackson does help the run game, and a KGBJenkinsJacksonKampman line should do ok against the run.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It still comes down to our D-line putting pressure on Harrington so he rushes throws or flush him out of the pocket and get a few sacks.

What worries me is Detroit keying on Carroll. Thomas and Hawkins are using their speed and technique much better than "holding, 28".

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there are 2 keys to beating the Lions on 9/11.
Number one, special teams have to shut down the Lions return game which is very good. We can't count on BJ to make the tackles.
Number two, hit Joey hard, often and early. He completely comes apart after he takes a few hits and can't hit the ground with his hat.
If we can do those things, PACKERS WIN!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The key to beating the Lions and stopping that passing game is putting pressure on Harrington. Our defensive line has to play well.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I think the key to winning the game is to get our offense rolling early. Get up by a couple scores early so the pressure is on the Lions to pass, pass, pass. I don't care how good the receivers are from the Lions, Harrington still is terrible and if the Packers D can pin their ears back knowing they have to pass, the Packers win.

Oh, and by the way, by mentioning the Packers offense rolling, that means those nice 10+ play drives that eat the clock keeping our defense fresh and off the field for the majority of the game.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread, tromadz. I like talking about stuff like this.

I'm expecting Thomas to get the start over Carroll. I don't expect Hawkins to play much, because either Carroll or Thomas will be the nickel back. Hawkins is still pretty raw, and I'm not even sure if he'll start in the dime. They may go with Jason Horton or Earl Little instead.

I agree that it will be very interesting to see how our DB's match up against those three big receivers. However, I don't expect a lot of three receiver sets. Our defense is more vulnerable to the run than to the pass right now. Detroit has a very good running back in Kevin Jones, and Mariucci will probably want to ride him as much as possible rather than putting the game into Harrington's hands. Mariucci likes to run to set up the pass. Grady is still not up to full speed, and you can bet that Detroit will test that gaping hole between KGB and the DT's, where our defense was gouged repeatedly in the preseason.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahmad "holding, 28 Defense" Carroll. Cute. I like it.

Nevertheless, with this defensive unit all bets are off. I for one hope it surprises us in a big, big way. GO PACK!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts