1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The problem of franchising Flynn.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Raptorman, Jan 20, 2012.

1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    The good thing for us is that Matt Barkley & Landry Jones stayed in college.
    So all of a sudden teams are gonna get desperate and push a stiff like Ryan Tanneyhll from Texas A&M into the first round.

We are in a good position here.

Sure Flynn has only had one road start, and one home start in cold windy weather against a playoff team who was playing hard to win, and when Flynn only had 3 WR's suit up.
    But he performed at a record-setting level. It's on film, vs 2 NFL teams.

That's a lot more than some college footage and combine numbers. It's hard to translate that > NFL.
    (See Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington, Jamarcus Russell, Akili Smith, Blaine Gabbert, Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, etc.)

Again, I think TT and MM have put us in a very strong position.
    Let's hope that they had a discussion with Flynn and his agent before deciding to let Matt play in week 17, which may have actually backfired on Rodgers and our team in the end as Arod was not sharp.

2. TCHickman24

TCHickman24 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +79
    Word is out? Link??

3. Croak

Croak Terminally twisted.

Ratings:
    +1,389
  4. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,406
    NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT FLYNN!!! WE HAVE NICK HILL FROM THE ARENA LEAGUE!!!

5. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    Packers can tag him, he doesn't have to sign, he and his agent can work out a deal with another team, once that is done, he signs the deal with the Packers and the Packers then trade him to the new team, who then signs him to the new contract.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,297
    For some reason I thought the new CBA changed how franchise tags could be used in tag-and-trades, but according to a couple of “experts”, including Jason Wilde, it didn’t change. IMO ivo610 "hit it" in the third post. Ask yourself how the Corey Williams’ deal worked – he was tagged, didn’t sign the deal, was traded for a pick and didn’t impact the Packers’ cap situation. I think the tricky part is getting Flynn and his agent to agree to the tag and trade because Flynn has the leverage of threatening to sign the deal and have the best seat in the house for $14M guaranteed.

IMO it’s ridiculous to say this type of deal is over Thompson’s head because he’s already done one and because he was Ron Wolf’s protégé and saw him wheel and deal up close. The worst they should do is a comp pick at the end of the third round in the 2013 draft, which aint bad. It's not a first rounder this draft, but it aint nothing.

7. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    only thing that changed with the tags was how many times One player could be tagged. which i believe is now only one time.

8. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    Philbin taking the coaching job with Miami might change everything now. If Philbin wants Flynn as his QB, the tag and trade might happen.

9. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I like the way you think.
    They don't have to trade us a #1 pick for Flynn.
    Just send us Cameron Wake and we will give them Flynn, and a draft pick.

10. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    Getting a quality player is better than a draft pick... Always take paper for change.

11. UCSB616

UCSB616 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    This is correct. If more than one team expresses interest in Flynn we will get something for him if the tag is available.

12. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    On THAT note:

13. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

That article really makes me smile :)

14. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    The big fear of tagging Flynn is that he'll screw the Packers by signing the tender and taking up $14M of cap space. I've never understood why Flynn would do this. He wants to be a starter. Why sign a high-paying one year deal and be a backup instead of getting a long-term contract to be a starter. Not to mention, playing in Miami 8 times a year is NOT bad.

Assuming Finley is resigned to a long-term deal, why not tag Flynn and deal him to Miami?

15. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    He'd have to sign it in order to trade him. He wouldn't be screwing the Packers. The way the Packers would be screwed is if they couldn't find a trading partner.

16. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    Yes and no. He could be tagged without signing and then the Packers trade him assuming Flynn and the Dolphins agree on the contract. Where he is able to screw the Packers is if he signs the tender and stays.

17. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,429
    I am on board with the idea of sending Flynn to Miami. Philbin has already worked with Flynn so he'd be great with that offense. Miami needs a new QB anyway. We need a pick, not sure if we can get them to cough up Wake, though.

18. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    Why is everyone so quick at being OK with letting Flynn go?
    I like him and think he should stick around a bit more because we would need to have someone as good as Flynn if the worst case scenario happens to A-Rod, god forbid.
    Flynn might go to another team and then it might bite us in the butt later on like where he beats the Pack maybe even in a crucial game.
    Sure he might leave, but why not wait and let the situation play itself out first.

19. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,429
    I'm not happy about letting him go, but I don't think we should hold him here any longer. It's not fair to Flynn. He's more than ready to be a starter somewhere, he just can't be one here because of Rodgers. We are lucky not to of lost him last year after his performance in the Pats game. I'm sure many a team was scouting him out in that game. There are a lot of teams that are needing QBs, hopefully Flynn signs with a good team worthy of him.

20. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    I still think he would have to sign the tender before being traded. If he doesn't sign, he's a non-entity. Can't trade a player that's not under contract. And how would he end up screwing the Packers if he stayed? I mean, that would screw the Packers but it wouldn't be Flynn's fault. It would be the Packers gambling and losing.

21. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,297
    Why not keep Flynn? Because his contract is expiring, he and his agent (and nearly everyone else) knows he has NFL starting QB talent and he and his agent want him to be paid as a starting QB. The Packers can’t afford to pay two starting QB salaries (cash and cap wise). And probably most important: Flynn wants to start, as he should.

The reason Flynn may threaten to sign the Franchise tender is so he can negotiate with any team unrestrained by the requirement to make a deal with the Packers. A tag and trade is definitely in the Packers best interest; it may be in the other teams’ best interest if they anticipate a bidding war for Flynn. It isn’t in Flynn’s best interest although if he wanted to go to Miami and they want to trade for him, he may go along.

My understanding is once Flynn agrees to a contract with the new team and the terms of the trade are agreed upon, Flynn would sign the tender, he and the new team would then agree to tear it up in favor of the new deal which would probably have more guaranteed money (over several years but still guaranteed) than the tag. The franchise tag is guaranteed salary for one season, it’s not like a multi-year deal with a signing bonus that gets accelerated when the player is traded or waived.

22. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +856
    You can't trade someone who has not signed the tender. It is against the CBA to trade the rights of a franchise player who has not signed. If the Packers franchise him they can't trade him until he signs the franchise tender. Nor can the Packers make a deal with any team to trade him to, unless he signs the tender. Were he goes is up to him.

23. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    If the Packers don't find a trade partner, they can always resend the tag, it's not permanent. It's a win-win for Green Bay.

24. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,870
    I would be surprised if we don't trade Flynn.

I see that last game of the season as an audition for Flynn as trade bait. The apparent push to sign Jermichal is further evidence that they need to maintain the tag for Flynn.

• Like Like x 1
  25. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +519
    The talk from both sides about signing Finley to a long-term deal tells me that they want to reserve the franchise tag for Flynn and work out some kind of trade. I still think that going to Miami with Philbin in return for a draft pick is the most likely scenario.