The path for Aaron Rodgers to become the GOAT

D

Deleted member 6794

Let's see here. He put up 3pts at the mighty Rams. A whopping 6 pts at Zona. 20pts At NO. Then he lit the world on fire with 31pts at NE. Then he came back down to reality and added up 5pts at Tampa and a mighty 10pts At Lambeau. Then he put on a scoring fest with 24 At SF.

Wow! Stand back!. That's some extreme firepower. ;)

It's true that Wilson and the Seahawks struggled on the road last season but he played pretty efficient away from Century Link Field from 2012-15, ranking ahead of Rodgers in passer rating in road games over that period.

*uck the Seahawks and there #FakeNoise stadium. Wilson won't win another Super Bowl period. Hawks defense is getting old and unless Schnieder hit a grand slam on this years draft they might not even be relevant anymore moving forward.

You really need to calm down a bit when it comes to the Seahawks, or NFL Network's top 100 list for that matter.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On topic: For AR to even get a scent of the GOAT, he and the Packers have to win another SB and he needs at least a couple more MVP-like seasons. That's not to say he wins the MVP, but he needs to have MVP-quality seasons.
Rodgers has an MVP quality season nearly every year. I think Super Bowl wins are the only thing that gets him there.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RINGS BABY.

He's in the discussion now, but he's got to have at least 1 more, if not two to still be in the discussion in 50 years. History only remembers the victors, unfortunately.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RINGS BABY.

He's in the discussion now, but he's got to have at least 1 more, if not two to still be in the discussion in 50 years. History only remembers the victors, unfortunately.
Agreed. Things like the TD-INT ratio and the passer rating are great, but it seems like the NFL is always looking to muck with the rules to create more scoring, and make things easier for the quarterbacks. You can't really count on stats and records to hold up. Look how quickly Manning erased most of Favre's records. You can't erase the rings though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. Things like the TD-INT ratio and the passer rating are great, but it seems like the NFL is always looking to muck with the rules to create more scoring, and make things easier for the quarterbacks. You can't really count on stats and records to hold up. Look how quickly Manning erased most of Favre's records. You can't erase the rings though.

I agree that rule changes have made it significantly easier for quarterbacks, therefore I prefer to compare players from the same era. In that case there's no doubt Rodgers has been the most efficient one in his on an individual basis.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's true that Wilson and the Seahawks struggled on the road last season but he played pretty efficient away from Century Link Field from 2012-15, ranking ahead of Rodgers in passer rating in road games over that period.

You really need to calm down a bit when it comes to the Seahawks, or NFL Network's top 100 list for that matter.

You act like I'm so out of bounds regarding these things. It's documented that Century Link is "fake noise" and even some players on the top 100 list think its fraud.

I know just about every roster in the NFL and the Seahawks roster particularly well. I believe I am more then qualified to give an opinion. There defense has statistically gotten worse every year since there peak and Russell Wilson isnt a top 5 QB.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree that rule changes have made it significantly easier for quarterbacks, therefore I prefer to compare players from the same era. In that case there's no doubt Rodgers has been the most efficient one in his on an individual basis.

"on an individual basis"

I think those are keywords when evaluating players. As we have seen, many "good" players are a product of the system they play in. While the Packers offense has been pretty decent during AR's time, I think AR himself is the #1 reason for that. Remove AR from the Packer offense and you probably have an average to below average offense. Remove Tom Brady from the Patriots offense and you win 3 out of 4.

While it is a bit "easier" for a QB to have that kind of impact on a team to be considered as the GOAT, we have seen players like Adrian Peterson, Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, etc. single handedly elevate their teams to higher levels at a position other than QB. There is no doubt in my mind that the Packers success in the past 9 years has mostly been due to Aaron Rodgers, but that probably will only be a side note in Aaron's resume after he retires.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is an amazing stat when you think about it:

Ten players in NFL history have thrown 300 or more touchdown passes. Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is poised to become the 11th — and the first to do so before throwing 100 interceptions. Rodgers needs three touchdown passes to become the 11th player in NFL history with 300. The other 10 quarterbacks averaged 171 interceptions before throwing their 300th touchdown. Rodgers has thrown 72 interceptions.

With just 115 interceptions at the time he threw touchdown No. 300, Brady had the fewest picks of anyone to reach the mark. Rodgers will throw No. 300 with about 40 fewer interceptions than Brady had.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rst-qb-with-300-tds-before-100-interceptions/

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This is an amazing stat when you think about it:

Ten players in NFL history have thrown 300 or more touchdown passes. Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is poised to become the 11th — and the first to do so before throwing 100 interceptions. Rodgers needs three touchdown passes to become the 11th player in NFL history with 300. The other 10 quarterbacks averaged 171 interceptions before throwing their 300th touchdown. Rodgers has thrown 72 interceptions.

With just 115 interceptions at the time he threw touchdown No. 300, Brady had the fewest picks of anyone to reach the mark. Rodgers will throw No. 300 with about 40 fewer interceptions than Brady had.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rst-qb-with-300-tds-before-100-interceptions/

He is hands down the "GOAT". If it wasn't for Ted Thompson everyone would see it as fact and not just a select few. Hopefully Thompson did enough this off-season so everyone and even the fools at NFL network can see it and come to grips with it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He is hands down the "GOAT". If it wasn't for Ted Thompson everyone would see it as fact and not just a select few. Hopefully Thompson did enough this off-season so everyone and even the fools at NFL network can see it and come to grips with it.

LOL.....if it wasn't for Ted Thompson, Aaron Rodgers might be "The GOAT" for another team. ;) Kind of a Catch-22.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, wait. It's pretty hard to deny that Tom Brady, the QB who was at the helm of a team that has won 5 SBs, is not the GOAT. To choose anybody over him means stretching the meaning of GOAT until it's unrecognisable. It's one thing to say that Rodgers is the most talented and perhaps the most complete QB in the NFL and probably has been for the last 5 seasons; it's another to say he's the GOAT. He's not and he won't be unless he and the Packers win more champsionships, simply put.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well, wait. It's pretty hard to deny that Tom Brady, the QB who was at the helm of a team that has won 5 SBs, is not the GOAT. To choose anybody over him means stretching the meaning of GOAT until it's unrecognisable. It's one thing to say that Rodgers is the most talented and perhaps the most complete QB in the NFL and probably has been for the last 5 seasons; it's another to say he's the GOAT. He's not and he won't be unless he and the Packers win more champsionships, simply put.
It's tough to make the case that Rodgers can catch Brady's 5, but I don't think he has to get to 5 and you seem to be making the implication that he does.

Bill Russell won 11 championships to Michael Jordan's 6, but no one in their right mind would consider Russell greater than Jordan. At the pace Rodgers is at right now, he will have the best TD to INT ratio in the history of the league, a record that very likely won't be broken for a very long time, and he will have the highest passer rating in history as well.

Sprinkle in 3 super bowls and I think it would be enough.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know just about every roster in the NFL and the Seahawks roster particularly well. I believe I am more then qualified to give an opinion. There defense has statistically gotten worse every year since there peak and Russell Wilson isnt a top 5 QB.

The problem being that you hold a grudge against the Seahawks for some reason and therefore aren't capable of forming an objective opinion about them. I vividly remember you predicting their demise several years ago yet they're still on the same level as the Packers.

BTW I would love to have a defense statiscally as bad as Seattle's which has led the league in points allowed every single season from 2012-15 and finished in third last year.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about Russell. He guarded 7'2" Wilt the Stilt pretty well. (Wilt averaged 50+ points per game one year). I think he made every big free throw he ever took. He was a leader. And all this while playing in one of the most racist towns in the hx of sports. Where you even around to know how great he, West, Baylor and others were? It was a different game then true. But in a lot of ways more difficult.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's always going to be debated. Right now, it's Tom Brady because of the rings, so some people say. When he's done and out, they'll bring up the close games, the kickers, the clutch defensive plays, spygate, deflate gate and how the Falcons completely choked the game away for #5 and he completed prayer passes that 6 times out of 10 were interceptions and incompletions the other 4 times except for that one play. There will be a lot of arguments to try and knock Tom Brady down, heck, there are already and have been for years. But he's fresh off a Super Bowl and is the hot topic right now.

I love Tom Brady, have defended is play thru everything and the Patriots, but i'm not blind to the debates against him and though right now everyone says the rings seal it, in 5 years after he's done, they'll bring up everything else and all these other names will come into the mix.

IMO, once you're in the conversation, there isn't much more you can do because none are perfect and there will always be arguments against and for another. How many times do we hear the Rodgers isn't clutch argument. It's not mine, but certainly lots of other people use it. Brady gets the clutch nod all the time. He's just clutch, ask anybody, and IMO that last game everyone remembers, the only thing clutch on his part was lady luck and his defense. Oh, and the Falcons choking in a Donaldesque way, yuuuuge!

The narratives change so fast while guys are playing. If Brady comes out and has a pedestrian season, which I think he is poised to do. A lot of those passes towards the end of last year did not look like Brady to me. But maybe i'm wrong. Anyway if he's pedestrian and Rodgers picks up where he left off, everyone will be back on the Michael Jordan of football analogies again.

But when the careers are over and all is said and done Rodgers is most definitely going to be in the conversation for the best at his position. Just like Gayle Sayers is always there and he had but a few short years, and Bo Jackson is always in it with the caveat, "if he never got injured" arguments for and against. The best all have them, Rodgers will be no different.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's always going to be debated. Right now, it's Tom Brady because of the rings, so some people say. When he's done and out, they'll bring up the close games, the kickers, the clutch defensive plays, spygate, deflate gate and how the Falcons completely choked the game away for #5 and he completed prayer passes that 6 times out of 10 were interceptions and incompletions the other 4 times except for that one play. There will be a lot of arguments to try and knock Tom Brady down, heck, there are already and have been for years. But he's fresh off a Super Bowl and is the hot topic right now.

I love Tom Brady, have defended is play thru everything and the Patriots, but i'm not blind to the debates against him and though right now everyone says the rings seal it, in 5 years after he's done, they'll bring up everything else and all these other names will come into the mix.

IMO, once you're in the conversation, there isn't much more you can do because none are perfect and there will always be arguments against and for another. How many times do we hear the Rodgers isn't clutch argument. It's not mine, but certainly lots of other people use it. Brady gets the clutch nod all the time. He's just clutch, ask anybody, and IMO that last game everyone remembers, the only thing clutch on his part was lady luck and his defense. Oh, and the Falcons choking in a Donaldesque way, yuuuuge!

The narratives change so fast while guys are playing. If Brady comes out and has a pedestrian season, which I think he is poised to do. A lot of those passes towards the end of last year did not look like Brady to me. But maybe i'm wrong. Anyway if he's pedestrian and Rodgers picks up where he left off, everyone will be back on the Michael Jordan of football analogies again.

But when the careers are over and all is said and done Rodgers is most definitely going to be in the conversation for the best at his position. Just like Gayle Sayers is always there and he had but a few short years, and Bo Jackson is always in it with the caveat, "if he never got injured" arguments for and against. The best all have them, Rodgers will be no different.

Agreed. The conversation is just that, conversation and it changes almost daily and is very dependent on who's opinion you want to read or listen to. Just look at a very short time ago when the Packers were 4-6 and most people had written them and #12 off. Hell, some people were ready to bench AR and some even talked about trading him.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The problem being that you hold a grudge against the Seahawks for some reason and therefore aren't capable of forming an objective opinion about them. I vividly remember you predicting their demise several years ago yet they're still on the same level as the Packers.

BTW I would love to have a defense statiscally as bad as Seattle's which has led the league in points allowed every single season from 2012-15 and finished in third last year.

That's just it. There not on the same level as the Packers. The Packers have won the last two meetings by a combined score of 65-27. We are getting ready to deliver the "death blow" to them on September 10th which of course I will be at.

They beat us a couple times on a fluke and basically robbery in those two games at there symphony hall which creates "Fake Noise". They did get a convincing win against us on their banner night but the tide has turned for sure.

Time to come out of "Fantasy Land" Captain. I smell blood in the water in regards to the Sea-Chickens.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
LOL.....if it wasn't for Ted Thompson, Aaron Rodgers might be "The GOAT" for another team. ;) Kind of a Catch-22.

Well a super charged engine can only go so fast and far with flat tires and a bunch of other bad parts.

Last edited:

DCPack80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And pretty damn impressive when you think about the offense Brady has played in (shorter throws than AR on average), and the margin of INTs

D

Deleted member 6794

That's just it. There not on the same level as the Packers. The Packers have won the last two meetings by a combined score of 65-27. We are getting ready to deliver the "death blow" to them on September 10th which of course I will be at.

They beat us a couple times on a fluke and basically robbery in those two games at there symphony hall which creates "Fake Noise". They did get a convincing win against us on their banner night but the tide has turned for sure.

Time to come out of "Fantasy Land" Captain. I smell blood in the water in regards to the Sea-Chickens.

Let's take a closer look at those numbers though. Since 2012, the Seahawks (56-23-1) have a better regular season record than the Packers (51-28-1) and have won a Super Bowl while playing in another. Both teams have made the playoffs in every single season over that period. In my opinion that means they have performed on a better level over the past five seasons.

While the Packers have won the last two meetings at Lambeau overall they haven't had more success although they finally advanced further in the playoffs last season.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's take a closer look at those numbers though. Since 2012, the Seahawks (56-23-1) have a better regular season record than the Packers (51-28-1) and have won a Super Bowl while playing in another. Both teams have made the playoffs in every single season over that period. In my opinion that means they have performed on a better level over the past five seasons.

While the Packers have won the last two meetings at Lambeau overall they haven't had more success although they finally advanced further in the playoffs last season.
If you're trying to convince us to despise them more, there's no need, I already hate them plenty. They had a Cowboy-type swagger to them when they were playing well. Disgusting.

I guess Russell Wilson is better than I gave him credit for. If he's so great though, like the second greatest QB ever, why were so many people upset that they let him throw the ball in that Super Bowl, instead of giving it to Beast Mode? If Wilson is so money and all.

Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I do kind of agree with brandon that they're on the decline. Not fast enough of a decline for my taste probably, but their defense is getting older.

And if Lacey stays in great shape and plays like a beast for Seattle, I'm going to be frigging ticked off. Not that we let him go, but that he didn't seem that dedicated to football and his body while he was here.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Agreed. The conversation is just that, conversation and it changes almost daily and is very dependent on who's opinion you want to read or listen to. Just look at a very short time ago when the Packers were 4-6 and most people had written them and #12 off. Hell, some people were ready to bench AR and some even talked about trading him.
Which was by far one of the most insanely, idiotic suggestions I've ever seen.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I'm not disputing that the Seahawks had a nice little run. But in reality how many of these "elite defenses" lasted more then 5 years before they dropped off significantly in the history of the NFL? Seattle defense already had a big drop off on defense last year. People will point to the loss of Earl Thomas but I believe there is more to it then that. They haven't gotten as good a pass rush recently and there secondary isn't that fast so they can be exposed. On top of that they don't even know who there starting corner is gonna be opposite Richard Sherman at this point.

People can throw all the Russell Wilson stats out there they want but IMO he needs to be used a certain way. He doesn't have the overall ability to carry a team and put them on his back like Aaron Rodgers does.

Some will still remain bullish on the Seahawks but I say if you must buy then "buy cautiously". I believe there is better value available.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts