The Packers should be in Indianapolis, but invade Honolulu

Travis Duncan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the days, weeks and months drag on from the loss to the Giants in the divisional playoff round, what should have been will fade and preparation for 2012 will begin in earnest.

In the meantime, the Packers can enjoy the 70-degree weather of Hawaii (and the pools as Clay Matthews did Monday). But each player there, and there are quite a few, knows they had the talent to be in Indy for the Super Bowl. Interestingly enough, that talent needs to be upgraded according to the head coach and at least one other player.

"I'm not one to publically display the disappointment, but I am personally disappointed the season didn't go as we had planned," coach Mike McCarthy told the media this week via the Wausu Daily Herald .

"Give credit to the teams that are in the Super Bowl. It's just another reminder of how difficult it is to get there and even more so to win it."

Aaron Rodgers said on his weekly radio show that McCarthy has been quite secretive
about the Packers offensive playbook, changing the name of the plays and design but remaining in the basic offensive sets the Packers use.

Rodgers is actually in Honolulu for the first time, as his other Pro Bowl appearance was in Miami.

Rodgers said he is most looking forward to playing with Larry Fitzgerald and Jimmy Graham. Rodgers also says he'll be firing up the Twitter per the suggestion of the NFL to keep the fans interested during the game.

Rodgers also said he'll be working as an impromptu ambassador for Green Bay while at the Pro Bowl, letting other NFL players know Green Bay is a desirable place to play.

In fact one NFL.com blogger says tha Rodgers is obsessed with getting another ring.
So Rodgers may make this week look like all fun in games but may have a larger goal in mind.

McCarthy admitted, as did Charles Woodson, that the Packers may need upgrades at certain positions.

"We'll make the adjustments we feel we need to make and add new players ... we'll forge ahead and we look forward to being a better team next year," said McCarthy.

Woodson said, "I think the last game, our entire organization saw the same thing out on the field. There were some things we just weren't able to do, so hopefully we'll bring some guys in to accomplish the same goal we achieved last year."

-Packers wide receivers coach Edgar Bennett is in Hawaii with the rest of the Packers coaching staff and posted this on the team's website "For me, I’m coaching the wide receivers this time instead of the running backs, and my group – Greg Jennings, Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Smith and Roddy White – wow, to sum it up in one word. They’re obviously very, very talented, and they’re true professionals. Our game plan is pretty simple, but on Sunday we’re just going to let those guys go out and do what they do best. It’s fun to be around them, hearing them tell stories about their careers."

The 2012 NFL Pro Bowl is Sunday, January 29 at 7:00 PM ET on NBC.

Members online

Latest posts