The Packers - Committed to their own

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe they are waiting to see if they need that cap room this year or not. Maybe the draft goes well and they do not feel there is a free agent who will make a significant difference. Then they would have cleared cap space that they do not need.

With teams being allowed to roll over cap space into next season the Packers not spending any of it this season wouldn't negatively affect their cap going forward in any way.

Now that Aaron has had his MVP season I think it is just as likely, assuming he follows it up with similar production in 2021 that the Packers stick with him and maybe even extend him again.

Rodgers posted the second highest single season passer rating in NFL history in 2020. It might be a bit unrealistic to expect him to repeat that performance.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or just seeing a QB that they liked and thinking they were not just getting a steal, but some insurance. Also, the Packers still have options with pushing out Rodgers salary, so don't read too much into the paying of his signing bonus, except maybe that it tells you that he will be in Green Bay at least another (this) season. ;)

The Packers have already pushed a lot of cap out into the future with other moves, maybe they are waiting before doing any more over leveraging of their future? Are they moving on from Kenny Clark in the near future because they didn't restructure his contract in order to free up cap?

People really seem hell bent on trying to figure out Rodgers and the Packers, grabbing at any kernel of information or speculation to try and respin the drama. I guess we lived through this with Favre too, but I'm just happy every year I see #12 behind center...for the Packers. A sight that once it's gone, we will never see again.
Yeah I'm all for keeping Rodgers under center for as long as possible. It's probably best not to read too much into management's intentions. Yeah they can free up cap space by reworking Rodgers' contract, but that just pushes the problem to another year(s).

And are there any FAs still available who would make a material difference to GB's SB hopes? I don't see any. The best Gluten can still do for the 2021 team is have a strong draft, and also hope that players added last year, like Dillon, Josh D, Runyan step up and contribute.

Tampa Bay kept their 'band" together and will be the team to beat in 2021, barring injury. GB has to be better than that. And we know how hard it is to repeat. Anyway I'm as hopeful as I can be for 2021. Gluten made some hard choices but it's hard to argue with them. Just don't mess with Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yeah I'm all for keeping Rodgers under center for as long as possible. It's probably best not to read too much into management's intentions. Yeah they can free up cap space by reworking Rodgers' contract, but that just pushes the problem to another year(s).

Yes, unless Love IS the next FHOF QB in Green Bay, I see no reason why the Packers would be in any hurry to get rid of a very productive Aaron Rodgers. What once was a very expensive contract, is now looking better in comparison to all the new QB contracts. If Love doesn't pan out and you get rid of Rodgers, what do you turn to, the Mitch Turdbiscuits and Nick Foles types of castoffs until you get lucky in the draft again?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Drafts are luck??? Dang! We sure are lucky to have drafted Bakhtiari, Adam’s, and Jones. How lucky is that!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Drafts are luck??? Dang! We sure are lucky to have drafted Bakhtiari, Adam’s, and Jones. How lucky is that!

Not sure if that was directed at me, but if it was, in your opinion, what percentage of QB's drafted become HOF QB's? My post was referring to how lucky the Packers were to draft Rodgers. Never heard anyone challenge the fact that it was pretty lucky, but OK.

More to your point, yes we were lucky to have drafted Bahk, Adams and Jones. I think had anyone had a crystal ball as to what type of players they would turn into, none of them would have made it out of the first round.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I guess Lombardi was right. Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, unless Love IS the next FHOF QB in Green Bay, I see no reason why the Packers would be in any hurry to get rid of a very productive Aaron Rodgers. What once was a very expensive contract, is now looking better in comparison to all the new QB contracts. If Love doesn't pan out and you get rid of Rodgers, what do you turn to, the Mitch Turdbiscuits and Nick Foles types of castoffs until you get lucky in the draft again?
I hope Love does turn out to be the third straight HOF QB out of Green Bay. I'm not counting on it, but then I didn't expect Rodgers to better Favre when Rodgers was drafted. We know how that turned out.

I'm sure if Gluten could see the future, he never would have drafted Love last year. Why do that when your current QB turns in an MVP year and doesn't look like he's anywhere near retirement? I can't see
And teams look to take advantage of productive players on rookie contracts. Every year Love sits is a wasted year in that regard. Gluten must have thought Rodgers was near the end of his playing career. Now he'd look foolish to get rid of the MVP QB to start a rookie. So assuming Rodgers stays around for another 2, 3, or more years, Love will simply be the backup. We'll find out in the pre-season how much potential he has.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope Love does turn out to be the third straight HOF QB out of Green Bay. I'm not counting on it, but then I didn't expect Rodgers to better Favre when Rodgers was drafted. We know how that turned out.

I'm sure if Gluten could see the future, he never would have drafted Love last year. Why do that when your current QB turns in an MVP year and doesn't look like he's anywhere near retirement? I can't see

And teams look to take advantage of productive players on rookie contracts. Every year Love sits is a wasted year in that regard. Gluten must have thought Rodgers was near the end of his playing career. Now he'd look foolish to get rid of the MVP QB to start a rookie. So assuming Rodgers stays around for another 2, 3, or more years, Love will simply be the backup. We'll find out in the pre-season how much potential he has.

Like I said, based on looking around the league, finding a Pro Bowl QB and having him play at that level during his rookie contract, takes quite a bit of luck. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that as a Packer fan, I'm bracing myself for life after Rodgers to be rather bumpy. If that next franchise QB turns out to be Love and we don't know it until year 6, awesome.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With teams being allowed to roll over cap space into next season the Packers not spending any of it this season wouldn't negatively affect their cap going forward in any way.

Rodgers posted the second highest single season passer rating in NFL history in 2020. It might be a bit unrealistic to expect him to repeat that performance.

Similar does not mean repeat.

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they can't win the Superbowl they might as well try to win the off season. That's something right... isn't it?
Cap numbers for Lowry and Jackson are low; packers better win it this year because next they are deep trouble Cap wise (even without the aforementioned, including King). They will need to re-sign Adams after this year at a HUGE number and a couple of others who are "core players". Not sure what they are doing but putting about $160M into a couple handful of guys for 2022 is a major concern; of course, they will have the option to rid themselves of the Rogers cap number in 2022 offseason (which is a possibility considering the lack of management action and strange comments or failure to comment). This team has a core, however, they need a Center to manage the OL (who will that be?). Need another DL and LB, better Safety play and could really use a WR2/3 with some speed and moves. If not this year then the next offseason will be really interesting to see how they handle the negative cap numbers. Again, taking out Lowry, Jackson and King are about $15M-$18M max... Better hope they win it all this year and then deal with all the above.

D

Deleted member 6794

And are there any FAs still available who would make a material difference to GB's SB hopes? I don't see any.

It's most likely true that there are a lot of impact free agents available anymore at this point but the Packers could have created enough cap space by restructuring Rodgers' contract before the start of the league year to sign at least one.

Over the same period the Packers could first round picks on Datone Jones, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Damarious Randall. But of course you tend to ignore that.

They will need to re-sign Adams after this year at a HUGE number and a couple of others who are "core players". Need another DL and LB, better Safety play and could really use a WR2/3 with some speed and moves. If not this year then the next offseason will be really interesting to see how they handle the negative cap numbers. Again, taking out Lowry, Jackson and King are about $15M-$18M max...

The Packers can keep Adams' cap hit at a reasonable number for 2022 by extending him and push the majority of it into following years with the cap expected to skyrocket in '23. Amos and Savage definitely form one of the best safety tandems in the league.

As a side note, the team moving on from Lowry and Jackson would create $4.6 million in cap space for this season. It wouldn't make any sense to release King just days after signing him and paying him $3.75 million.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It's most likely true that there are a lot of impact free agents available anymore at this point but the Packers could have created enough cap space by restructuring Rodgers' contract before the start of the league year to sign at least one.

Over the same period the Packers could first round picks on Datone Jones, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Damarious Randall. But of course you tend to ignore that.

The Packers can keep Adams' cap hit at a reasonable number for 2022 by extending him and push the majority of it into following years with the cap expected to skyrocket in '23. Amos and Savage definitely form one of the best safety tandems in the league.

As a side note, the team moving on from Lowry and Jackson would create $4.6 million in cap space for this season. It wouldn't make any sense to release King just days after signing him and paying him $3.75 million.
I think Capers screwed up Randall by playing him in the wrong position. I always thought he was a safety just like he did with Hyde. I’ve said multiple times that I believe Dix was a bad pick. IMO, he was a 3rd or 4th round talent. I’m not a scout and I really have no idea whether Datone Jones had late 1st round ability or not. It’s clear in retrospect that he was not well suited for us or did not have the intangibles needed to thrive.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Datone had it physically, just didn't have it mentally. Could play hard when he wanted, don't think he practiced like he needed.

Randall could have been good at either as well. did seem more natural at safety, but again, don't think it mattered as it was his mind that made success seems so far away for him.

I don't have any issue with the way Hyde was used while here. He was a solid football player and they used him as such.

I agree with Ha-Ha. Was never a huge fan.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Capers screwed up Randall by playing him in the wrong position. I always thought he was a safety just like he did with Hyde. I’ve said multiple times that I believe Dix was a bad pick. IMO, he was a 3rd or 4th round talent. I’m not a scout and I really have no idea whether Datone Jones had late 1st round ability or not. It’s clear in retrospect that he was not well suited for us or did not have the intangibles needed to thrive.

The point being that the Packers were lucky to draft Bakhtiari, Adams and Jones. If their management had been that much smarter than other organizations, which was your original claim, they wouldn't have selected Datone Jones, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix in the first round or Kevin King and Josh Jones in the second round with their first picks in any of those years in which they picked Bakhtiari in the fourth, Adams in the second and Jones in the fifth round.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Personally, I think TT screwed up first, by picking Randall and yes it was to play CB, which we desperately needed at the time. Capers/Whitt added on to it, by not switching him to S, but I doubt it would have changed much. Both him and Dix ended up being not that great of pics and even moving on to other teams and other positions (Randall), hasn't seemed to resurrect either players career. Dix wasn't on a team last year and Randall saw very limited action sitting on the Seahawks PS most of the year. Both are currently free agents if anyone wants them. :D

Datone Jones....just another overall big costly bust. TT boxed himself into a corner with no depth at OLB and resigned him, when he should have just let him walk. Just saw that he hooked up with a team in Canada, so at least he is still playing.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, based on looking around the league, finding a Pro Bowl QB and having him play at that level during his rookie contract, takes quite a bit of luck. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that as a Packer fan, I'm bracing myself for life after Rodgers to be rather bumpy. If that next franchise QB turns out to be Love and we don't know it until year 6, awesome.
Yeah those are good points. No matter who is under center after Rodgers is gone - it is gonna be a bumpy ride. And sure, if Love turns out to be GB's third HOF QB in a row (we don't know either way right now), pay the man and let's keep rolling.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah those are good points. No matter who is under center after Rodgers is gone - it is gonna be a bumpy ride. And sure, if Love turns out to be GB's third HOF QB in a row (we don't know either way right now), pay the man and let's keep rolling.

We will probably never know just how much this past season was a throw away for some developmental players like Love, but there is no question, he probably isn't on the same level as a 2nd year player would be in non-covid years. Not really a big deal, given the level of play Rodgers played at, but it probably will add more time to the development and evaluation time period of Love. I said it in another post, but it would take some pretty big steps/hurdles to occur in the next year, for the Packers to be ready to declare Love the starter and move on from Rodgers for 2022. So I see 3 scenarios, any of which could happen in the coming seasons.
  1. Love plays lights out in the preseason, Rodgers gets hurt or seriously declines and Love looks good in replacing him. Love in-Rodgers Out.
  2. Rodgers keeps playing at a high level and either finishes his contract or his career in Green Bay and meanwhile, no real answers in regards to whether Love is the guy or not.
  3. Either Rodgers himself or the Packers decide to end the relationship, independent of where Love or another QB is at and both sides move on to the next chapter in their lives.
I think any 3 or a slight blending could happen, but given the probabilities of Love developing into a Franchise QB, Rodgers conditioning and current level of play, I see #2 as most likely.

All that said, I think Gute and the Packers want to leave the possibility that any of the 3 scenarios could happen and that might be influencing their using Rodgers salary as a last resort to gaining cap space.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#2 is probably most likely. What I don't understand is why they didn't, or haven't, reworked Rodgers contract to clear cap space for this year. IMO, that means the FO doesn't see Rodgers in GB for more than a season or two. I get that Gluten has to keep the long term view, but with the team knocking on the door of another SB, and Rodgers playing lights out, why not do all you can do now to get to the SB? There aren't a lot of holes to fill.

And we're not privy to conversations Rodgers may have had with the FO. He may have already told them that this will be his last year in GB. That would actually explain the reluctance to rework his deal now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why they didn't, or haven't, reworked Rodgers contract to clear cap space for this year. IMO, that means the FO doesn't see Rodgers in GB for more than a season or two.
The only thing they have prevented themselves from reworking to date, is his signing bonus. What you are seeing with this is what the media and several posters are trying to draw conclusions from "Rodgers must be on his way out, because the Packers paid him his roster bonus, instead of pushing it out into the future." This could very well be true, but I would also like to think it is Ball and Gute saying "ok, the future with Rodgers isn't exactly engraved in stone just yet, we already pushed a lot of money out into the future this offseason, do we have any moves pending that we need his cap space for right now?" If they answered that last part with a "no" or a simple "not right now, but we have other ways to get the cap space, including his annual salary, if the need arises", they probably just pulled the trigger on paying the bonus, which was due on March 19.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#2 is probably most likely. What I don't understand is why they didn't, or haven't, reworked Rodgers contract to clear cap space for this year. IMO, that means the FO doesn't see Rodgers in GB for more than a season or two. I get that Gluten has to keep the long term view, but with the team knocking on the door of another SB, and Rodgers playing lights out, why not do all you can do now to get to the SB? There aren't a lot of holes to fill.

And we're not privy to conversations Rodgers may have had with the FO. He may have already told them that this will be his last year in GB. That would actually explain the reluctance to rework his deal now.

It doesn't matter what Rodgers may have told the FO. The only way this is his last year in Green Bay, short of retiring, is if the FO decides its his last year. He isn't going anywhere for the next three years unless they want him gone. He could hold out or threaten to hold out and force them to do something but the decision is still ultimately the Packers decision to make.

As Poker said, There are reasons not to take every advantage to push the maximum amount of AR's money into the future. You may not agree with those reasons but that doesn't mean they don't exist. If you want to take that to mean they have already decided that he is gone after this year (or next) then that's fine too but I'm not going to read a whole lot into what Gute or Murphy or LeFleur says or doesn't say about it. I've already given it far more attention than I care to.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Or they could be holding the restructure back as an "if all else fails" move while they attempt to extend several players. They could be waiting to see what they get in the draft so they can see who to release afterwards for cap relief. Can't start the season at 100% cap spent in case of injuries. Need a bit of room to wiggle then.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what Rodgers may have told the FO. The only way this is his last year in Green Bay, short of retiring, is if the FO decides its his last year. He isn't going anywhere for the next three years unless they want him gone. He could hold out or threaten to hold out and force them to do something but the decision is still ultimately the Packers decision to make.

As Poker said, There are reasons not to take every advantage to push the maximum amount of AR's money into the future. You may not agree with those reasons but that doesn't mean they don't exist. If you want to take that to mean they have already decided that he is gone after this year (or next) then that's fine too but I'm not going to read a whole lot into what Gute or Murphy or LeFleur says or doesn't say about it. I've already given it far more attention than I care to.
I certainly hope he stays for another three years. He certainly looks like he can. I'm not sure they did all they could this off season (so far) to get this team to the SB. It's possible they did all they were willing to do. And I agree, none of us should be trying to read the minds of Gluten or MLF or Murphy. In the end, I'd just like to see one more SB with Rodgers under center - whether it's this coming year or after.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or they could be holding the restructure back as an "if all else fails" move while they attempt to extend several players. They could be waiting to see what they get in the draft so they can see who to release afterwards for cap relief. Can't start the season at 100% cap spent in case of injuries. Need a bit of room to wiggle then.
Yeah the FO is walking a tightrope now. They need enough cap to sign the rookies and a cushion, as you note, for injuries. And this year is unique in that FAs are staying on the market a little longer. Although I think Gluten is pretty much done with FAs and will go to camp with who he has now, and the draftees.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This article might explain the rationale to those wondering why Rodgers Roster bonus wasn't pushed out into the future.

"The top eight players under contract for next season have a combined 2022 salary-cap charge of $161.14 million.........The Packers already have $204.192 million in committed cap space for 2022, and that's without All-Pros Davante Adams and Jaire Alexander."

The Packers' last dance? Their 2022 salary-cap situation says it's possible - Green Bay Packers Blog- ESPN

If this is the last dance, then they better crush this draft.

Staff online

Latest posts