The Packers - Committed to their own

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that is frustrating me more than anything is what are they doing with Rodgers? I don’t give two :poop:s what the media says but I do find it odd they paid his bonus, that is not a sign of a team that is trying to make cap space and hold onto their 3 time MVP. It is sign that they are moving on, I know something can still get done but I have a bad feeling it is not going to happen and that this is his last year in GB.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
This keeps popping into my head every time I see the topic title:

The Peacocks - committed to their own. (X-Files reference)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

In terms of skilled offensive players, technically the Packers have gotten better. Adding Funchess to the mix and getting the 2nd-3rd round guys from last year a season under their belt (Degura will get healthy). They will be adding another RB, likely a pass catching kind of back from the draft. They will likely add at least one WR to fight for a roster spot with EQ. They got better.

Once our guys are healthy, the OL will be fine. The Packers have always been successful in their development of offensive line players.

Defensively, they have not missed a beat. Kirksey and Adams will not be missed. Lets add some young talent to the DL and a CB prospect and they are good to go off.

I like this strategy. They were a few plays away from a Superbowl. Build on that, and ask TB to come back to GB for the NFC championship next year.

Some of the "Packers front office can't do wrong" crowd are really tough to deal with. The Packers adding a receiver in Funchess, who hasn't played in almost two years, while losing Linsley, Wagner, Williams and Bakhtiari's health being a question mark definitely doesn't result in them being any better on offense at this point.

Don't get me wrong, it's possible the unit will once again lead the league in scoring in 2021 but let's be realistic about their moves this offseason so far.

There’s no guarantee that any of those three will make the final 53 man roster, much less be starters.

It's all but guaranteed King will make the roster.

You can’t win the SB if you don’t qualify for the playoffs.

You can't win the Super Bowl while not winning the NFCCG either.

P.S. Tom Brady's cap hit is not just $6M. Just more of the fact skewing for people trying to load up the false narrative. His cap hit is $9.075M, but more importantly, his dead cap is at $50M.

The Bucs rightfully don't care about it as they understand it's unrealistic to expect to contend for a Super Bowl the season after moving on from Brady anyway.

Yet the Packers on the other hand seem to care more about their cap situation in year one after Rodgers than to surround him with enough talent to actually win another Super Bowl with him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yet the Packers on the other hand seem to care more about their cap situation in year one after Rodgers than to surround him with enough talent to actually win another Super Bowl with him.

I get what you are saying, but do we know when "moving on from Rodgers" will actually take place? Seems like everyone wants to compare Brady and Rodgers, yet in many of those comparisons Rodgers is just about out the door in GB and perhaps football in some peoples minds.

Tom Brady: 43 years old (August 3, 1977)

Aaron Rodgers: 37 years old (December 2, 1983)

D

Deleted member 6794

I get what you are saying, but do we know when "moving on from Rodgers" will actually take place? Seems like everyone wants to compare Brady and Rodgers, yet in many of those comparisons Rodgers is just about out the door in GB and perhaps football in some peoples minds.

Tom Brady: 43 years old (August 3, 1977)

Aaron Rodgers: 37 years old (December 2, 1983)

Well, the Packers selecting Love in the first round last year and not restructuring Rodgers' contract before his roster bonus was due this offseason should be considered as a strong hint at them not wanting to wait until he turns 40 to move on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, the Packers selecting Love in the first round last year and not restructuring Rodgers' contract before his roster bonus was due this offseason should be considered as a strong hint at them not wanting to wait until he turns 40 to move on.
Or just seeing a QB that they liked and thinking they were not just getting a steal, but some insurance. Also, the Packers still have options with pushing out Rodgers salary, so don't read too much into the paying of his signing bonus, except maybe that it tells you that he will be in Green Bay at least another (this) season. ;)

The Packers have already pushed a lot of cap out into the future with other moves, maybe they are waiting before doing any more over leveraging of their future? Are they moving on from Kenny Clark in the near future because they didn't restructure his contract in order to free up cap?

People really seem hell bent on trying to figure out Rodgers and the Packers, grabbing at any kernel of information or speculation to try and respin the drama. I guess we lived through this with Favre too, but I'm just happy every year I see #12 behind center...for the Packers. A sight that once it's gone, we will never see again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Also, the Packers still have options with pushing out Rodgers salary, so don't read too much into the paying of his signing bonus, except maybe that it tells you that he will be in Green Bay at least another (this) season. ;)

In my opinion the writing was on the wall that the Packers don't plan on keeping Rodgers as long as he wants to play once they selected Love in the first round.

The Packers have already pushed a lot of cap out into the future with other moves, maybe they are waiting before doing any more over leveraging of their future? Are they moving on from Kenny Clark in the near future because they didn't restructure his contract in order to free up cap?

With the salary cap predicted to skyrocket in 2023 I wouldn't have any issue with pushing as much money into that year as possible. Especially as it's unrealistic to expect the Packers to be a legit Super Bowl contender in the season following the departure of Rodgers.

It's a completely different situation with Clark. He is scheduled to earn a $1 million base salary in 2021 without having received a roster bonus this offseason, therefore there was no way to push any money into future years this offseason. Actually the Packers already did that when signing him to his current deal.

In addition Clark is still a young player and the Packers haven't used a first rounder on his eventual replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In my opinion the writing was on the wall that the Packers don't plan on keeping Rodgers as long as he wants to play once they selected Love in the first round.

I think that is the general consensus, but do you think Rodgers MVP year might have changed that thought process?

I get it, Rodger's age, sometimes his attitude and then the drafting of Love makes for some juicy and thought provoking conversation about his future. However, nobody from the Packer organization, that I know of has come out and said "here is our plan for Rodgers". Because honestly, I don't think they have a concrete one and it could change with many variables. So yes, Love was obviously insurance and a potential contingency plan. Not pushing Rodgers bonus out into the future could have been done for a number of reasons, but to absolutely conclude that it means he is done in GB after this season, I don't buy it. Especially given the fact that there are other avenues to push his earnings out into the future or gain cap via other moves if the need arises.

I also don't think a team that was literally one play away from being in the Super Bowl needs to shove all in at this point. I like what they have done in the offseason and depending on the draft, any other FA signings and of course injuries, I like the position that they have put themselves in for not just 2021, but beyond.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that is the general consensus, but do you think Rodgers MVP year might have changed that thought process?

I get it, Rodger's age, sometimes his attitude and then the drafting of Love makes for some juicy and thought provoking conversation about his future. However, nobody from the Packer organization, that I know of has come out and said "here is our plan for Rodgers". Because honestly, I don't think they have a concrete one and it could change with many variables. So yes, Love was obviously insurance and a potential contingency plan. Not pushing Rodgers bonus out into the future could have been done for a number of reasons, but to absolutely conclude that it means he is done in GB after this season, I don't buy it. Especially given the fact that there are other avenues to push his earnings out into the future or gain cap via other moves if the need arises.

I also don't think a team that was literally one play away from being in the Super Bowl needs to shove all in at this point. I like what they have done in the offseason and depending on the draft, any other FA signings and of course injuries, I like the position that they have put themselves in for not just 2021, but beyond.

Plus Mark Murphy swat down any notions that Rodgers was going to be released or traded in that press conference earlier this off-season.

Now ... Granted anything can change between now and next year. And it's certainly something to wonder whether or not Gute is thinking one thing about Rodgers' future while Murphy is thinking another. But given how well Rodgers just played this last season, I would have to think they're not about to give him the shaft just yet without working in some kind of deal.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus Mark Murphy swat down any notions that Rodgers was going to be released or traded in that press conference earlier this off-season.

Now ... Granted anything can change between now and next year. And it's certainly something to wonder whether or not Gute is thinking one thing about Rodgers' future while Murphy is thinking another. But given how well Rodgers just played this last season, I would have to think they're not about to give him the shaft just yet without working in some kind of deal.
I don't see why we need "some kind of a deal." He has a contract. We have a team. I'm already looking forward to next season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not pushing Rodgers bonus out into the future could have been done for a number of reasons, but to absolutely conclude that it means he is done in GB after this season, I don't buy it.

Just for the record, I don't believe the Packers not restructuring Rodgers' contract guarantees they will move on from him after this season by any means but it doesn't instill a ton of confidence they plan holding on to him for the remainder of his career either.

In my opinion Gutekunst freeing cap a significant amount of cap space for the 2021 season by converting Rodgers' base salary and roster bonus into a signing bonus to improve the team's chances to win a Super Bowl should have been a no-brainer this offseason, especially considering the TV contract signed recently resulting in the cap to skyrocket in 2023. Unfortunately the Packers put more emphasis on being in better shape regarding the cap two years down the road once again.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just for the record, I don't believe the Packers not restructuring Rodgers' contract guarantees they will move on from him after this season by any means but it doesn't instill a ton of confidence they plan holding on to him for the remainder of his career either.

In my opinion Gutekunst freeing cap a significant amount of cap space for the 2021 season by converting Rodgers' base salary and roster bonus into a signing bonus to improve the team's chances to win a Super Bowl should have been a no-brainer this offseason, especially considering the TV contract signed recently resulting in the cap to skyrocket in 2023. Unfortunately the Packers put more emphasis on being in better shape regarding the cap two years down the road once again.

Again, you need to at least acknowledge/consider that the Packers still have the same options with his $14.7M salary this season, that they had with his $6.8M bonus. The roster bonus decision had a much earlier decision deadline (3/19) is all.

Im not telling you that it isn't a possibility that the Packers aren't contemplating Rodgers not so distant future. However, the media and some fans seem overly focused on grasping at anything to prove the theory that he is all but out the door. This appears to be another one of those situations.

I understand that you don't necessarily mean that this is proof to his immediate demise in GB, but overloading their future cap, just to have more money in the bank right now, isn't necessarily a smart financial decision either IMO. Especially, given the fact that there still are moves to free up cap space if needed.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all it means to me, The Packers have options, and I'm fine with that. I thought they were in a bit of a hurry to re-sign him and extend his contract, but was ok with that too. Now he either plays at a level that requires we keep him or if he's not, they have options that don't kill the team for a decade but could actually be used to build it.

On the other hand, Rodgers can certainly play well and make it next to impossible for GB to move on from him. He's not going to be THAT expensive in the coming years vs other QB salaries and if he's performing like a top 2 guy, they aren't just going to dump him because.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
On the other hand, Rodgers can certainly play well and make it next to impossible for GB to move on from him. He's not going to be THAT expensive in the coming years vs other QB salaries and if he's performing like a top 2 guy, they aren't just going to dump him because.

Exactly and that is the part people keep forgetting. Personally, I am not looking forward to "Packer Football without Rodgers". Since, odds are, that probably means less W's than what we are used to. I really like MLF's offense, but is it THAT good that you can just plug and play any QB into it and have success? I would say "No".

So sure it would be nice to get some value for Rodgers at the exact moment his play drops off a cliff, but what are you going to do with those picks and are they going to improve the team more than if Rodgers doesn't fall off that cliff?

I doubt there are many Packer fans that want to see Rodgers gone today, but those unnecessarily wringing their hands prematurely as to when that will happen, I don't think realistically are thinking about what Packer football will look like without him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Again, you need to at least acknowledge/consider that the Packers still have the same options with his $14.7M salary this season, that they had with his $6.8M bonus. The roster bonus decision had a much earlier decision deadline (3/19) is all.

I understand that you don't necessarily mean that this is proof to his immediate demise in GB, but overloading their future cap, just to have more money in the bank right now, isn't necessarily a smart financial decision either IMO. Especially, given the fact that there still are moves to free up cap space if needed.

It's true the Packers can create cap space by converting Rodgers' base salary into a signing bonus until the start of the season. That doesn't change my opinion that passing on saving $4.5 million of cap space for this season by not converting his roster bonus as well wasn't a smart idea.

I have said that for a long time, but it's unrealistic to expect the Packers to not miss a beat in the season following Rodgers' departure. Therefore overloading the cap for that season, whenever it might occur, doesn't strike me as a terrible approach as it would allow the team to surround #12 with more talent as long as he's around.

Now he either plays at a level that requires we keep him or if he's not, they have options that don't kill the team for a decade but could actually be used to build it.

The Packers pushing back as much cap space as possible into the following season after they move on from Rodgers wouldn't kill the team for a decade by any means but would result in them not having a lot of cap space available in a single season they shouldn't be considered a contender anyway.

I doubt there are many Packer fans that want to see Rodgers gone today, but those unnecessarily wringing their hands prematurely as to when that will happen, I don't think realistically are thinking about what Packer football will look like without him.

Just for the record, I don't want the Packers to move on from Rodgers anytime soon. It seems the front office has other plans though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just for the record, I don't want the Packers to move on from Rodgers anytime soon. It seems the front office has other plans though.

I think we are on the same page, but I'm leaning towards the idea of the front office is ultimately going to do what is best for the team and they aren't 100% sure of what that entails yet. Those plans could include Rodgers until he retires or not. Much of it will depend on both Rodgers and potentially Love.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe they are waiting to see if they need that cap room this year or not. Maybe the draft goes well and they do not feel there is a free agent who will make a significant difference. Then they would have cleared cap space that they do not need. On the other hand if the draft does not go well and the right free agent at the right position is out there then they make the move with his contract and clear space for this year.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You’re talking about the guy that’s going to win the MVP of the league,” LaFleur said. “We’re not in this position without him. I couldn’t be happier with just not only his performance but how he led our football team, all the little things he does within that locker room to ensure that everybody is locked in, focused and ready to go. Absolutely he will be here for a long time.”

When asked specifically whether that meant keeping Rodgers beyond the 2021 season, Gutekunst said, “Absolutely.” Rodgers has three years remaining on a four-year, $134 million contract extension he signed in August 2018.

“Obviously he’s under contract, and he’s playing at an extremely high level,” Gutekunst said. “What we’re trying to do as an organization and what we’re trying to accomplish, we can’t do without Aaron Rodgers right now. He’s such a part of what we’ve done. He’s such a part of what we’re doing right now and certainly in the future.”

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You’re talking about the guy that’s going to win the MVP of the league,” LaFleur said. “We’re not in this position without him. I couldn’t be happier with just not only his performance but how he led our football team, all the little things he does within that locker room to ensure that everybody is locked in, focused and ready to go. Absolutely he will be here for a long time.”

When asked specifically whether that meant keeping Rodgers beyond the 2021 season, Gutekunst said, “Absolutely.” Rodgers has three years remaining on a four-year, $134 million contract extension he signed in August 2018.

“Obviously he’s under contract, and he’s playing at an extremely high level,” Gutekunst said. “What we’re trying to do as an organization and what we’re trying to accomplish, we can’t do without Aaron Rodgers right now. He’s such a part of what we’ve done. He’s such a part of what we’re doing right now and certainly in the future.”

Come on man, those are just words! Who are you going to believe, Gute & MLF or Packer Fan Forum posters? ;)

Obviously, I am poking fun of a few "Is Rodgers gone yet" fans and we really don't absolutely know what is going on in Gute's head. However, as your post shows, there are also signs pointing towards Rodgers finishing his career in Green Bay, its just a matter of how you want to interpret information, that will have you leaning one way or the other.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because Gute is going to come out and say that Rodgers is gone in "x" amount of years.

:rolleyes:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on man, those are just words! Who are you going to believe, Gute & MLF or Packer Fan Forum posters? ;)

Obviously, I am poking fun of a few "Is Rodgers gone yet" fans and we really don't absolutely know what is going on in Gute's head. However, as your post shows, there are also signs pointing towards Rodgers finishing his career in Green Bay, its just a matter of how you want to interpret information, that will have you leaning one way or the other.

I'll go out on a limb and say Rodgers' 2020 MVP campaign is a stronger indicator that the Packers will not be in such a hurry to move on from him than the drafting of Love was an indicator that they are/were ready to move on. I'm not sure that makes sense but like I said in another post, going into the 2020 draft Rodgers had just come of three relatively down years (for him) that were plagued by injuries, some minor some not so minor. Many people, fans, media, "experts" etc, were starting to see him as possibly being on his way out or at least continuing to go downhill. I will say that his stats in 2018 and 2019, while pretty good for a QB were not that great for Aaron Rodgers. It is possible that Gute was among those who thought now might be the best time to bring in another QB just in case the "slide" continued. In that respect I see the Love pick as an insurance policy that Gute felt he couldn't ignore. If Love had not been available I don't think Gute takes a different QB which goes to disprove the theory that Love was drafted just to take Rodger's place. Obviously Gute saw something he really liked in Jordan Love and even though you might not personally like the pick you have to respect a GM who has the balls to identify a player he really likes and goes after him.

Now that Aaron has had his MVP season I think it is just as likely, assuming he follows it up with similar production in 2021 that the Packers stick with him and maybe even extend him again. Of course if they do that it people will use it as further "proof" that the Love pick was a mistake. I'm not going to argue one way or another on that issue because it is a matter of personal opinion but I will say that I do not think it is a mistake for a GM to make plans if he perceives that one of his star players may be in his declining years. I'm also not going to fault a GM for being wrong if that player ends up not declining at all.

On top of all that its not only Rodgers' performance that might determine his fate. If Love fails to develop it may be that the Packers simply can't afford to move on from Rodgers from a production standpoint. They may be forced to stick with him if they go through another two years and don't see enough development from Love to make the switch. I'm not an oddsmaker but right now I'd say the chances of Rodgers ending his career in GB is pretty much equal to if not greater than the odds the Packers move on from him after 2022. I certainly don't think they will move on after 2021 unless he falls completely off a cliff and Love flies high above it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Because Gute is going to come out and say that Rodgers is gone in "x" amount of years.

:rolleyes:

That is part of the point too. Not to mention I don't really think anyone
I'll go out on a limb and say Rodgers' 2020 MVP campaign is a stronger indicator that the Packers will not be in such a hurry to move on from him than the drafting of Love was an indicator that they are/were ready to move on. I'm not sure that makes sense but like I said in another post, going into the 2020 draft Rodgers had just come of three relatively down years (for him) that were plagued by injuries, some minor some not so minor. Many people, fans, media, "experts" etc, were starting to see him as possibly being on his way out or at least continuing to go downhill. I will say that his stats in 2018 and 2019, while pretty good for a QB were not that great for Aaron Rodgers. It is possible that Gute was among those who thought now might be the best time to bring in another QB just in case the "slide" continued. In that respect I see the Love pick as an insurance policy that Gute felt he couldn't ignore. If Love had not been available I don't think Gute takes a different QB which goes to disprove the theory that Love was drafted just to take Rodger's place. Obviously Gute saw something he really liked in Jordan Love and even though you might not personally like the pick you have to respect a GM who has the balls to identify a player he really likes and goes after him.

Now that Aaron has had his MVP season I think it is just as likely, assuming he follows it up with similar production in 2021 that the Packers stick with him and maybe even extend him again. Of course if they do that it people will use it as further "proof" that the Love pick was a mistake. I'm not going to argue one way or another on that issue because it is a matter of personal opinion but I will say that I do not think it is a mistake for a GM to make plans if he perceives that one of his star players may be in his declining years. I'm also not going to fault a GM for being wrong if that player ends up not declining at all.

On top of all that its not only Rodgers' performance that might determine his fate. If Love fails to develop it may be that the Packers simply can't afford to move on from Rodgers from a production standpoint. They may be forced to stick with him if they go through another two years and don't see enough development from Love to make the switch. I'm not an oddsmaker but right now I'd say the chances of Rodgers ending his career in GB is pretty much equal to if not greater than the odds the Packers move on from him after 2022. I certainly don't think they will move on after 2021 unless he falls completely off a cliff and Love flies high above it.

The semi good news for Love, if he has it, he will have it. Rodgers sticking around another year or 2 or more, might delay it a bit, but shouldn't prevent him from being a great QB (if he is one). Preseasons have turned guys into starters and that will probably be where Love either becomes an eventual starter for the Packers, becomes trade bait or ends up like a lot of players, cut after failing.

Members online

Latest posts