The offense stinks because...

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well at least the Rub routes are working again. Maybe MM has a never give up attitude. Beat your face with the fist until it works mentality.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching MM press conference just gets me more mad, he makes so many excuses. Now its fundamentals, Grrrr does this team have amnesia I swear they work on that in training camp and through out the year. He needs to throw his playbook away every coach in the league knows it. He lacks the ability to adjust in game and with time. He has Arod second guessing himself scared to go out there and just play cause he feels he has to be perfect. MM doesn't help him with adjusting the playbook, Jordy is clearly not the same, he's been playing scared dropping passes and fumbling , Adams catches the ball half the time, cobb cant beat man to man, Richard Rodgers slow as heck, Eddie is a above average back but he's limited, Starks I like him but he and Eddie are 2 similar backs (Bruisers).

Yeah but this time there's some truth to it regarding the fundamentals. Rodgers' mechanics have regressed like Favre's did. Unfortunately there's a lack of leadership on offense no one to keep the team in it on an emotional standpoint.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah but this time there's some truth to it regarding the fundamentals. Rodgers' mechanics have regressed like Favre's did. Unfortunately there's a lack of leadership on offense no one to keep the team in it on an emotional standpoint.
Didn't he stress fundamentals after the Vikings game? wasn't it the same problem?

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has RR done anything this season? I can't believe I actually liked him for a bit.

D

Deleted member 6794

Has RR done anything this season? I can't believe I actually liked him for a bit.

Well, on the bright side he has improve his average yards per catch compared to last season by a whopping 0.8 yards.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't know, they probably know the Packers offense as well as any other D-back in the league
Maybe THAT is the problem. Our secondary has been practicing against our offense, of course they look great in practice!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has disappointed as of late. Not many passes his way early on, but he had some very nice catches. The past 2 weeks he's had some bad drops, one that would have been a TD. As with all these guys, we know they're better. He was never fast, never shifty, never a powerful blocker, but he had always shown great hands. Those have disappeared recently too.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As critical as I have been on the Packer receiving corp over the last year, I'm going to save further criticism of the WR's AND Richard Rodgers until AR gets his game straightened out. Yes, its the chicken or the egg argument, but its hard to completely blame RR and the rest of the receivers for poor play when AR has been equally inconsistent.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In case people didn't see this article, it feels pretty spot on to me.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...-rodgers-at-center-of-offensive-woes-nfl-2016

There is a pleathora of reasons why the Packers have been quite lackluster.
  • Jordy isn't back to his form, and many are talking that it may never happen. Jordy's best attribute was as a deep threat. Where a WR needs to win by 1 foot. After knee surgery, being even one step slower makes all the difference in the world. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt till late season, but it's not looking good.
  • Aaron is off like I have never seen from him. Can't properly lead receivers, blatant over and underthrows, his receivers don't seem to be taking to his pissed off demeanor all the time.
  • Defense is just being killed by injuries. When you are playing your 4th and 5th corners as 1 and 2... Bad things are going to happen. It's hard to be that deep at any position. That's why when I heard the praise about Gunter I laughed, he's a 4th corner for a reason. It was only a matter of time till a team was smart enough to expose it. They aren't getting turnovers which really hurts when you are turning the ball over more than normal.
  • Lacy is averaging 5.1 ypc yet has only 71 carries through, on the other hand Zeke is averaging 5.1 ypc and has 137 attempts! Lacy would have the same 703 yards at this pace but McCarthy just keeps giving Rodgers the ball when he is struggling. Aaron has 20 rushes this year. Seriously almost a 1/3 of the rushes as our main rusher. And 181 pass attempts to 108 rushing if you take out Rodgers scrambles.
There are plenty more reasons, but those are some of the most noticeable to me.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There is a pleathora of reasons why the Packers have been quite lackluster.

While I agree with your list and as you said, there are more (Cook injury, Starks effectiveness, poor punting and special teams in general, etc.), to me the #1 issue on offense is Aaron Rodgers and the #1 issue on Defense is the secondary. While I would like to fully blame injuries for the issues in the secondary, they were getting shredded prior to Randall and Rollins going down. I'm also not convinced that just having everyone healthy would make this a top 10 defense. The Cowboys exposed the front 7 as an average unit.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with your list and as you said, there are more (Cook injury, Starks effectiveness, poor punting and special teams in general, etc.), to me the #1 issue on offense is Aaron Rodgers and the #1 issue on Defense is the secondary. While I would like to fully blame injuries for the issues in the secondary, they were getting shredded prior to Randall and Rollins going down. I'm also not convinced that just having everyone healthy would make this a top 10 defense. The Cowboys exposed the front 7 as an average unit.

Yeah it's pretty hard to argue with any of that that. I never thought the defensive front was as historically good as the stats would say. Look at the rushing ranks of the teams we play before Dallas... 31st, 32nd, 24th, 27th. Not really juggernaut rushing teams.

I would agree with the Randall and Rollins not being the saviors if they return, but I would argue that missing Shields is bigger than people make it out to be.

Aaron is a big problem, in more ways then one if you ask me. Accuracy is one thing, maybe its mechanics? Or just him being inside his own head too often. But his attitude is horrendous, reminds me of Cutler at times. Playing with him has got to be tons of fun, the yelling, evil eyes, throwing stuff... Truly inspiring stuff. Aaron himself is responsible for 4 turnovers and 5 fumbles (3 recovered by Green Bay) in the two losses. He has to be better or this team will fail. Pretty simple in that aspect.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The two main thoughts on this are that A) MM has not done a good job at adapting his offense after it became apparent that defenses have figured it out or B) Rodgers has regressed and is sabotaging the team...what I don't understand is how option B isn't also on MM since he's the COACH! Part of the reason that people defend him is that he's supposed to be some terrific QB coach. So how does he not get much of the blame for Rodgers falling apart?

A) is IMHO is the main reason. He has not changed much in the last few years. Teams have figured the Packers out. I was at the Giants game sitting up high in the end zone. You can see the whole field and the plays developing from there. There was never anyone open. The WR's create no separation. Week after week its the same thing. Rodgers standing in the pocket waiting for his receivers to get open and no one is. Yes he is missing guys when they get open & you can see how frustrated he is about it. But MM's refusal to try new things is the main problem with this offense. When they try using the short passing game - quick outs, passes to Montgomery out of the backfield, screen passes etc the offense seems to click. But then next series its right back to the same old boring, predictable garbage and the offense sputters.

Try using the true West Coast short passing offense & the deep passes will come. Looking for htem on every play is not working!!

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense stinks because:
1) Rodgers has been inaccurate and has failed to protect the ball
2) Receivers have dropped too many balls
3) Playcalling has been abysmal
4) We have a banged up number one RB and no back-up
5) Our tight ends are below average

Exactly correct...MM needs to go. Throw the bank account at John Gruden and get this right

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you who were talking about Jordy being the deep threat? he's not gotten deep since he's been "back". We have 3 possession WRs all on the field at the same time inmost cases. Nobody bites on those double moves anymore either.

MM is to stubborn to understand his offense, along with his personnel packages don't work.
Every dang pass play literally takes 5 seconds to develop. That's why Rodgers takes so long in the pocket waiting for guys to uncover. They need to run the west coast offense the way the west coast offense should be ran. They also need to draft another tightened to compliment the west coast offense. When Richard Rogers is on the field it only makes the offense that much more slower.

Somebody said Rodgers made mention that Montgomery should change his # and be more of s true H-back ? I couldn't agree more. This guy is bigger than Cobb, and unlike Lacy or Starks he can consistently win those one on ones with just about any ilb or olb for that matter. They need to end the Starks experiment and go with Montgomery as the screen and change of pace back.

MM is the reason the offense is garbage, he calls the same plays over and over and the league has figured the Packers out. Rodgers has lost his edge and he's starting to look like just another guy now. The fact that today was the first time all year he's thrown a touchdown in the second half is absolutely inexcusable for a guy of his caliber and skill set. They are horrible on offense...just horrible.

Yes, a speed receiver could help this offense, which is why I think you see them putting Trevor Davis out there more and more. He's fast, but he's a rookie and not very big, but there is a dearth of other options. Janis still can't run a decent route, likely will never figure it out, and Abby is just not fast enough to scare defenders. Jordy has lost a step, don't know if he'll ever get it back or not.

It would be nice to have Jared Cook right about now to help open up the middle of the field, but it looks that's not happening anytime soon. A lot needs to be fixed, and they're a little short on parts.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, a speed receiver could help this offense, which is why I think you see them putting Trevor Davis out there more and more. He's fast, but he's a rookie and not very big, but there is a dearth of other options. Janis still can't run a decent route, likely will never figure it out, and Abby is just not fast enough to scare defenders. Jordy has lost a step, don't know if he'll ever get it back or not.

It would be nice to have Jared Cook right about now to help open up the middle of the field, but it looks that's not happening anytime soon. A lot needs to be fixed, and they're a little short on parts.

Trevor isn't small either... 6'1" is much taller than D-Jax or TY Hilton. The problem is, that while he is fast... He isn't that fast. The best deep threat receivers are either Extremely fast 4.32 4.35 range. Or a mix of really fast 4.4 ish with great route running and height (Julio type).

I think he could possibly develop, but right now he doesn't do any one thing exceptionally well. He's not other worldly fast to just run away from defenders, he's not going to beat you with route running, and he isn't 6'4" to catch jump balls.

Here is a scout quote on him...

"He's a pretty good returner. I don't see him being drafted, but he could make a team as a return man and last receiver on the depth chart." -- NFC West scout
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/Trevor-Davis?id=2555413

MajikMan7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's time to get back to the hurry up, no huddle offense. MM has put an emphasis on establishing the run this season, and even though a solid run game is important, the philosophical slow down on offense has hurt us. Rodgers also touched on it during his interview yesterday, saying that they're focusing on implementing more packages to get more players involved on offense. I think it's obvious this shift in philosophy on offense just isn't working out the way they had envisioned it. When GB has shown spouts of success on offense this season, it seems to be when they show a bit more urgency and do not give defenses a chance substitute or react to formations. It's time to drop the hammer and go!

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overthrows, onehoppers, behind the rceivers. The lack of accuracy is our number one issue. If Rodgers was the same as before last year, we would be at least 4-1. Drops and 4 string secondary do not help, but our QB has been the most evident issue for a year now. No idea what his issue is, but as someone said earlier, he is comparable to Cutler right now. Look up their stats for the last year.

Members online

Latest posts