The New Look Badgers - 2023

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before it's through, this is going to be an impressive team this coming year.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before it's through, this is going to be an impressive team this coming year.

Obvious why Fickell was the pick over Leonhard from a recruiting standpoint. (Sorry, no way do I think Leonhard gets this influx from the transfer portal and no way this number of QBs come). Now just needs to translate to the field.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Obvious why Fickell was the pick over Leonhard from a recruiting standpoint. (Sorry, no way do I think Leonhard gets this influx from the transfer portal and no way this number of QBs come). Now just needs to translate to the field.
Agreed. I liked the idea of Jimmy L as HC, but Fickell brings a whole new level to the program. I have to keep reminding myself that Fickell spent most of his early days with the Ohio State program, learning under Tressel, Urban Myers and the rest of the Buckeye coaching staff and organization. It is definitely showing.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I liked the idea of Jimmy L as HC, but Fickell brings a whole new level to the program. I have to keep reminding myself that Fickell spent most of his early days with the Ohio State program, learning under Tressel, Urban Myers and the rest of the Buckeye coaching staff and organization. It is definitely showing.
He was also building connections throughout the nation, when it comes to recruiting. This is something that takes years to cultivate. It was also something that was lacking with the Badgers. They had great regional appeal, but only did well occasionally outside the area.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Interesting, the Badgers landed another QB in Braedyn Locke. He is a transfer from Mississippi State. They also landed a kicker from Ohio University.

"UW entered Tuesday having added a total of 26 players since the December signing period, a mix of high school recruits and transfers."

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Interesting, the Badgers landed another QB in Braedyn Locke. He is a transfer from Mississippi State. They also landed a kicker from Ohio University.

"UW entered Tuesday having added a total of 26 players since the December signing period, a mix of high school recruits and transfers."
Yup, the QB room is somewhat loaded. Wolf talked about coming back, but I don't see him playing a single snap.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, the QB room is somewhat loaded. Wolf talked about coming back, but I don't see him playing a single snap.
Wolf might just come back. It would be an opportunity for him to complete his education, getting his Masters Degree. It would be the best bang for the buck for him, even if he never took another snap. If I was in his shoes, that value alone, plus any bucks I can pull on NIL makes it a bargain deal.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wolf might just come back. It would be an opportunity for him to complete his education, getting his Masters Degree. It would be the best bang for the buck for him, even if he never took another snap. If I was in his shoes, that value alone, plus any bucks I can pull on NIL makes it a bargain deal.
Good points, forgot about the scholarship part.
NIL bucks for Wolf? :roflmao: But I guess even a blind Squirrel finds a few nuts.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I see WR Will Pauling transferring from Cinci.

Leonhard was very well liked. There will be an exodus. Fickle will have a hard time fielding a team next season. He'll get a few transfers but I expect the Badgers to look like they did in Barry Alvarez's first season. It wasn't pretty. The program has greatly declined and will hit rock bottom.

This comment didn't age well.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Going with the 11 QBs all on the field at the same time gambit.
Has to be the deepest QB room that the Badgers have ever had. Braedyn Locke transferring to Wisconsin today was just icing on the cake. It is going to be quite the competitive competition for the job as #1.

Krabs

Reaction score
Has to be the deepest QB room that the Badgers have ever had. Braedyn Locke transferring to Wisconsin today was just icing on the cake. It is going to be quite the competitive competition for the job as #1.
For far too long UW lived in a world where they went with the "we have our guy" mentality. He's not great, but if he can do a few things and hand off we will make due. Fickell is obviously brining the Ohio St. mentality where they get as many guys as they can and make them earn it. There's no reason why UW should have to suffer through years of guys like Hornibrook, Stave and Mertz without having a true 2nd option. Fickell is clearly not content being a "we've got our guy" type recruiter and it already shows. Are all these guys going to finish in Madison? Probably not. Does it stink for guys like Burkett? Yes, he probably is going to get bypassed. Does it make UW better? Absolutely.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For far too long UW lived in a world where they went with the "we have our guy" mentality. He's not great, but if he can do a few things and hand off we will make due. Fickell is obviously brining the Ohio St. mentality where they get as many guys as they can and make them earn it. There's no reason why UW should have to suffer through years of guys like Hornibrook, Stave and Mertz without having a true 2nd option. Fickell is clearly not content being a "we've got our guy" type recruiter and it already shows. Are all these guys going to finish in Madison? Probably not. Does it stink for guys like Burkett? Yes, he probably is going to get bypassed. Does it make UW better? Absolutely.
Good points. You need to create as much, if not more - competition in practice - as they'll see every Saturday. When you reach that point, you're going to be several times better than the team across from you.

This can happen if your recruiting methods turns the entire US into your hunting ground.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I see WR Will Pauling transferring from Cinci.

This comment didn't age well.
I wouldn't count my chickens yet. The Badgers will probably struggle next year and I'm not impressed with the rejects(trsnsfers) coming to Madison. I'm not assuming any of the new QB's are the next Wilson. Mertz was suppossed to be the highly rated QB that was going to turn the team around. He did that, just in the wrong direction. I know the Badgers can fatten up and make a pseudo bowl on their cupcake heavy schedule, but can they compete against top 20 teams? I doubt it. As far as guys leaving, I overestimated their transfer potential. The talent level is so low that most D1 teams aren't very interested in most of the Badger players. As far as the high school recruits go, bssed upon ratings, the incoming class is close to the bottom of the Big Ten.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mabye they all suck, but it's encouraging to have some competition at the position by a number of guys others see quite a bit of potential in, rather than 1 guy every 15 years with that potential.

and Mertz can throw the ball. WHen he's on schedule and confident, he looks completely different. The problem was he couldn't read a defense and was often unsure LOL. Maybe that's just him, maybe it was bad coaching. I don't know.

Regardless, competition and multiple guys for a spot is never a bad thing and better than what have had in terms of probability someone rises to the top.

Krabs

Reaction score
I wouldn't count my chickens yet. The Badgers will probably struggle next year and I'm not impressed with the rejects(trsnsfers) coming to Madison. I'm not assuming any of the new QB's are the next Wilson. Mertz was suppossed to be the highly rated QB that was going to turn the team around. He did that, just in the wrong direction. I know the Badgers can fatten up and make a pseudo bowl on their cupcake heavy schedule, but can they compete against top 20 teams? I doubt it. As far as guys leaving, I overestimated their transfer potential. The talent level is so low that most D1 teams aren't very interested in most of the Badger players. As far as the high school recruits go, bssed upon ratings, the incoming class is close to the bottom of the Big Ten.
Interesting take. The Badgers now have four 4 star QB's coming to Madison. Not sure how one could consider them rejects. You can be Debbie Downer if you want, but there is a lot of exciting stuff going on in at UW.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know you were predicting the Badgers to completely fail under Fickell and it seems you are not impressed by what he has done in a mere month and 10 days. However, you might want to give it some time, before doubling down on your prediction of failure. Right now Fickell is not only trying to patch all the holes of the current roster that were left by the previous poor recruiting by Chryst, but he is also trying to put together a freshman class, that most programs had locked in months ago. Not sure what your expectations were for any new coach at the UW, but despite my liking Leonhard, Fickell has gone above and beyond what I think Leonhard could have done.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I beg to differ. To me, the rankings are based on the influx of kids signed during the initial phase of signings. Nothing indicates the value of the players coming in through the portal, or those who have changed their mind, and joined the Badgers since then.

If you look at the track records of the portal players, you'll see a pedigree of all-conference, and some amazing success. Then there's additions that don't show, like a WR who runs a freaking 4.31 40 yard dash, and is going to be as fast, if not faster, than the guys on teams like OSU. We got our own "flea." ;)

Then there's the QBs. An all conference QB who knows the system we'll be using, and threw for more yardage in a season than our guy did over nearly 3 years. He's being backed by a guy who's capable of throwing for 4,000 yards a year as well. Add in our running game, and the fact that we're going to go to zone blocking, and it's going to be a high powered offense.

On defense, we may have lost Jim Leonhard and his skills, being #1 according to many, but we got the #6 ranked DC. A guy who believes in using his personnel about the same as Jimmy did, except he's going to get more help out there, because he's going to get the help he needs recruiting.

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I think the Badgers have a really good chance of winning the West, and making it into the Big 10 championship game. I'd love to see them squaring off against OSU, even if they do get beat.

It's going to be a very interesting year. If anyone beats the Badgers, it's going to be early, because they are going to build strength as they go.

Of course, this is my opinion, for what it's worth.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For what its worth, Fickell is adding guys to a very depleted roster. He certain ly needs transfers to field a team because the incoming freshman class isn't well regarded. While some of the transfers are accomplished, translating that success to the Big Ten isn't easy. We just saw how outclassed TCU was when the Big 12 faced the SEC champ. While the Big Ten isn't in the same league as the SEC, its head and shoulders above the other conferences if you discount the obsurd additions of Rutgers and Maryland. I wouldn't assume Leanhard couldn't recruit as well as Fickell. I think His NFL pedigree would be very attractive to 4 and 5 star recruits. I hope he's the Packers next DC.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I beg to differ. To me, the rankings are based on the influx of kids signed during the initial phase of signings. Nothing indicates the value of the players coming in through the portal, or those who have changed their mind, and joined the Badgers since then.

If you look at the track records of the portal players, you'll see a pedigree of all-conference, and some amazing success. Then there's additions that don't show, like a WR who runs a freaking 4.31 40 yard dash, and is going to be as fast, if not faster, than the guys on teams like OSU. We got our own "flea." ;)

Then there's the QBs. An all conference QB who knows the system we'll be using, and threw for more yardage in a season than our guy did over nearly 3 years. He's being backed by a guy who's capable of throwing for 4,000 yards a year as well. Add in our running game, and the fact that we're going to go to zone blocking, and it's going to be a high powered offense.

On defense, we may have lost Jim Leonhard and his skills, being #1 according to many, but we got the #6 ranked DC. A guy who believes in using his personnel about the same as Jimmy did, except he's going to get more help out there, because he's going to get the help he needs recruiting.

I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I think the Badgers have a really good chance of winning the West, and making it into the Big 10 championship game. I'd love to see them squaring off against OSU, even if they do get beat.

It's going to be a very interesting year. If anyone beats the Badgers, it's going to be early, because they are going to build strength as they go.

Of course, this is my opinion, for what it's worth.
Nice optimism and while I agree with it, I think it might take more than a year or 2 to fully bring this program back and beyond.

I do think that with the relatively favorable schedule, they should win the West. They do have to go out to Pullman, WA to take on the Cougars, who shocked them in Madison this year with a win. Otherwise, OSU is a really tough win, but it is in Madison, so who knows. Basically, Fickell has things trending upward much faster than I thought he would, how far he takes the program will be fun to watch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For what its worth, Fickell is adding guys to a very depleted roster. He certain ly needs transfers to field a team because the incoming freshman class isn't well regarded. While some of the transfers are accomplished, translating that success to the Big Ten isn't easy. We just saw how outclassed TCU was when the Big 12 faced the SEC champ. While the Big Ten isn't in the same league as the SEC, its head and shoulders above the other conferences if you discount the obsurd additions of Rutgers and Maryland. I wouldn't assume Leanhard couldn't recruit as well as Fickell. I think His NFL pedigree would be very attractive to 4 and 5 star recruits. I hope he's the Packers next DC.

To be honest you kind of contradict yourself here. You are saying Leonhard would attract 4 and 5 star recruits, yet he had been the Badgers DC for 6 years and he wasn't attracting them. You seem to agree with that when you said:

For what its worth, Fickell is adding guys to a very depleted roster. He certain ly needs transfers to field a team because the incoming freshman class isn't well regarded.

I actually think it was not just the bad start to the season that caused Chryst to get fired, but his recruiting wasn't up to standards and that is a reflection on not just Chryst, but Leonhard and the other coaches. Which may have been the deciding factor in Jimmy L not getting the head coaching job. Hell of a good coach, but can he recruit?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest you kind of contradict yourself here. You are saying Leonhard would attract 4 and 5 star recruits, yet he had been the Badgers DC for 6 years and he wasn't attracting them. You seem to agree with that when you said:

I actually think it was not just the bad start to the season that caused Chryst to get fired, but his recruiting wasn't up to standards and that is a reflection on not just Chryst, but Leonhard and the other coaches. Which may have been the deciding factor in Jimmy L not getting the head coaching job. Hell of a good coach, but can he recruit?
Leonhard was the DC of the Badgers. He wasn't responsible for recruiting like the HC. I don't think there is any reason to think Leonhard wouldn't make a great recruiter as a HC.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leonhard was the DC of the Badgers. He wasn't responsible for recruiting like the HC. I don't think there is any reason to think Leonhard wouldn't make a great recruiter as a HC.
Actually all the coaches do some recruiting. But, that doesn't mean Jimmy wasn't good at it. The reality is, the Badgers recruiting was horrible because of how it was administrated by Chryst. You need the support people to find that talent, then help the coaches bring it home.

Latest posts