The most perplexing move/non-move of the offseason

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It appears to me by the Packers actions that the main priority is to make money and that is more important then winning championships.
You keep spouting this line. It seems to me you have no understanding of the salary cap and the rules of the CBA.

D

Deleted member 6794

You keep spouting this line. It seems to me you have no understanding of the salary cap and the rules of the CBA.

While I don't agree with brandon on the Packers mostly being concerned about making money there's no reason to be $25 million under the cap at this point either.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I don't agree with brandon on the Packers mostly being concerned about making money there's no reason to be $25 million under the cap at this point either.
I agree.... I am beginning to think that Ted is about to give Rodgers a big extension with a rather sizeable bonus. Barring that, I am at a loss to explain why he s holding on to so much cap space.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Rodgers has been advocating for the team to get aggressive and bring guys in so this doesn't make all that much sense to me.

They could of brought in three B level free agents that would of really helped push this team over the hump.

If they would of added Claiborne, Barwin and Hankins I don't believe Rodgers would be upset about his contract not getting extended this off-season.

Ted Thompson has let everyone down again in favor of his beloved comp picks.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree.... I am beginning to think that Ted is about to give Rodgers a big extension with a rather sizeable bonus. Barring that, I am at a loss to explain why he s holding on to so much cap space.
You could be correct on AR, but there are still quite a few FA's out there with a PFF rating of 60 and above that I can see TT working a deal out with. I'm banking on at least 2 such signings between now and the draft. We have the cap space, the roster space and the needs.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could be correct on AR, but there are still quite a few FA's out there with a PFF rating of 60 and above that I can see TT working a deal out with. I'm banking on at least 2 such signings between now and the draft. We have the cap space, the roster space and the needs.
My preference would be for you to be correct lol.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That has nothing to do with the "Packers making money".

I can only surmise that Thompson hasn't liked what is available for the price, and is waiting for the price to come down or is waiting for teams to release more players due to salary cap implications.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That has nothing to do with the "Packers making money".

I can only surmise that Thompson hasn't liked what is available for the price, and is waiting for the price to come down or is waiting for teams to release more players due to salary cap implications.

I was being sarcastic because this is just crap and maybe the rest of the world doesn't agree with TT's "Value Village Shopping Techniques" which is ridiculous anyways.

Claiborne signed for 1 year 5 mill

Barwin signed for 1 year 6.5 mill.

These guys would of hardly broke the bank. Both would of come in and added stability to areas of great concern. Does Ted Thompson expect players to come play for Green Bay for league minimums?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was being sarcastic because this is just crap and maybe the rest of the world doesn't agree with TT's "Value Village Shopping Techniques" which is ridiculous anyways.

Claiborne signed for 1 year 5 mill

Barwin signed for 1 year 6.5 mill.

These guys would of hardly broke the bank. Both would of come in and added stability to areas of great concern. Does Ted Thompson expect players to come play for Green Bay for league minimums?

There's market value, which the rest of the world goes by.
Then there's Ted value, which is 20% or more below market value.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There's market value, which the rest of the world goes by.
Then there's Ted value, which is 20% or more below market value.

Yeah, he cares more about getting a guy for a million less then anyone else over winning a Super Bowl.

They call this "penny wise and pound foolish"

He should already be long gone.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am in no way saying that I agree with not signing more FA's but with that being said, I think a lot of the time we forget about player progression. I don't think any of us expected to see Davante Adams have the year that he did last year. There's a lot of young players on our roster that could break out next year at the positions we are all so worried about. Rollins and Randall at CB. Martinez at ILB, Ryan was coming on somewhat strong at the end of the year. Fackrell at OLB, even Elliott in his small sample size of pass rushing, he has a better sack ratio than Matthews has had in the last 2 years. Not that we don't need a lot of defensive help, but with how young our defense is, we don't really know what a lot of our players' ceilings are yet

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am in no way saying that I agree with not signing more FA's but with that being said, I think a lot of the time we forget about player progression. I don't think any of us expected to see Davante Adams have the year that he did last year. There's a lot of young players on our roster that could break out next year at the positions we are all so worried about. Rollins and Randall at CB. Martinez at ILB, Ryan was coming on somewhat strong at the end of the year. Fackrell at OLB, even Elliott in his small sample size of pass rushing, he has a better sack ratio than Matthews has had in the last 2 years. Not that we don't need a lot of defensive help, but with how young our defense is, we don't really know what a lot of our players' ceilings are yet

Someone has been drinking too much of the TT Koolaid! :eek:

I get what you are saying, but.......I have highlighted the words that concern me the most due to history. IMO it is fine to to expect player progression, but to fully rely on it, as TT did for years at TE and ILB, is very dangerous.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers could extend Rodgers' contract without taking any additional cap hit for this season, especially by offering him a sizeable signing bonus.

Well, unfortunately Thompson waiting for the price to come down on free agents has once again resulted in the Packers not having adequately addressed their most pressing needs with the picking at those positions having turned extremely thin over the last two weeks.

There's no reason to rely on other teams releasing impact players because of salary implications as well. While that has been brought up several times by different posters in the past years I can't remember TT picking up any significant pieces to the puzzle close to the start of the season.

At some point a general manager has to make a move in free agency to improve the roster, even if that means overpaying for a player while competing with other teams for his services. That monent has passed for Thompson several years ago.

It's awesome if young players significantly improve from one season to another. But relying on it is a recipe for disaster.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unable to find the answers in Free Agency for the often injured and talent depleted CB position, the Packers finally revealed their solution to the problem today.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts