The most perplexing move/non-move of the offseason

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think the cap and accounting don't matter? Invest big dollars in a guy just to do it, you'll sink this year and the next 3 of Rodgers career.

As for Claiborne, I'm nervous enough investing in Perry having just gotten done with Shields and still having Matthews. I don't want even medium dollars invested in a guy like that.

The cap matters, but when you're in paralysis by analysis mode, or do nothing mode because it might not work, you'll definitely go nowhere.
Ted's doing a fine job of sinking the rest of Rodgers career all by himself.

D

Deleted member 6794

You think the cap and accounting don't matter? Invest big dollars in a guy just to do it, you'll sink this year and the next 3 of Rodgers career.

Geez, stop bringing up that BS. The Patriots are way more active in free agency, trades and don't shy away from signing high priced veteran players from other teams. Yet they ended up with significantly more cap space than the Packers entering this offseason.

Once again, there's a smart way to use free agency and making moves for elite players doesn't automatically result in sacrificing future success.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh God, and they were extremely fortunate that they had the luxury of not playing any other team in the entire playoffs other than the texans or they would have been done that day. They were also extremely fortunate the Falcons didn't run, run, run, kick. The won the super bowl. and like everyone else, they had some good fortune. 3 runs and a pass and we're talking about Bill losing his 2 best pass rushers and failing in the superbowl because they couldn't stop Atlanta.

SO they spent some cash on a DB from the Bills. We'll see if it pays off. I know since they signed him and we didn't, you already see it as a success for them. But then you would have called signing Rolando Mclain one year and the next some schlep named Brandon Spikes a success too.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cap matters, but when you're in paralysis by analysis mode, or do nothing mode because it might not work, you'll definitely go nowhere.
Ted's doing a fine job of sinking the rest of Rodgers career all by himself.
most people would say if Rodgers had 2 superbowls right now that would be pretty successful. At least most sane fans. Well, the only people that can be blamed for that is the players themselves because they choked in the worst possible way when they were stacked.

anyway, you're probably right though. Ted just lucks his way thru life. Doubt he has a plan

D

Deleted member 6794

oh God, and they were extremely fortunate that they had the luxury of not playing any other team in the entire playoffs other than the texans or they would have been done that day. They were also extremely fortunate the Falcons didn't run, run, run, kick. The won the super bowl. and like everyone else, they had some good fortune.

anyway, you're probably right though. Ted just lucks his way thru life. Doubt he has a plan

It's hilarious that you don't accept Thompson got fortunate that Rodgers fell to the Packers in 2005 (once again, no doubt he deserves credit for drafting him) yet bring up luck as a major factor in the Patriots having been to seven Super Bowls winning five of it since Belichick took over every time we talk about their team.

D

Deleted member 6794

most people would say if Rodgers had 2 superbowls right now that would be pretty successful. At least most sane fans.

Rodgers is the most efficient quarterback in NFL history but nevertheless Packers fans should be excited about him winning three less titles than Brady???

Don't get me wrong, claiming a second Super Bowl would be awesome but it wouldn't be the gold standard of this era, something the team had a chance of achieving with a generational talent at quarterback.

Most importantly Thompson, McCarthy and Rodgers haven't even won another ring outside of 2010 though.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm done getting mad about it. I've accepted the fact that the Packers aren't gonna win another Super Bowl under Ted Thompson.

I've tapered my expectations to them hopefully making the playoffs and winning the division. I don't like it but just the way it is until they get Thompson out of there.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is the most efficient quarterback in NFL history but nevertheless Packers fans should be excited about him winning three less titles than Brady???

Don't get me wrong, claiming a second Super Bowl would be awesome but it wouldn't be the gold standard of this era, something the team had a chance of achieving with a generational talent at quarterback.

Most importantly Thompson, McCarthy and Rodgers haven't even won another ring outside of 2010 though.
I guess, he should have 6 by now. ****ing Ted

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hilarious that you don't accept Thompson got fortunate that Rodgers fell to the Packers in 2005 (once again, no doubt he deserves credit for drafting him) yet bring up luck as a major factor in the Patriots having been to seven Super Bowls winning five of it since Belichick took over every time we talk about their team.
of course he was fortunate. Where have you ever heard me say he wasn't? I think I had a post just today or yesterday that said it again, They have both benefited from each other. Rodgers from being believed in, and given the time and coaching and put in a position to be successful, and Ted has benefited from being able to build a team around what has turned into one of the all time greats. It's obvious the benefited from each other.

H

HardRightEdge

As for the OP, I don't find any specific move or non-move at all perplexing.

In the aggregate, though, I am a bit surprised the cap space sits as high as $24 mil at this point assuming House is in for 1 year / $3.5 mil. Perhaps some extensions are in the work, including Rodgers as a possibility.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
most people would say if Rodgers had 2 superbowls right now that would be pretty successful. At least most sane fans. Well, the only people that can be blamed for that is the players themselves because they choked in the worst possible way when they were stacked.

I don't see any more evidence of a plan than any evidence of this team having an identity.
Again, the man reacts, makes lateral moves to fill holes ( many caused by himself), and basically sits on his hands the rest of the time.
The draft isn't going to fix all the holes/questions on this team. But again, that seems to be Ted's only plan.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Was looking at the cap, salaries and other $$$ things on the Packers today. Had to laugh when I noticed this.

Cap Dollars allocated on positions and the number of players that includes.

Kicker (1): $3.6M

CB (5): $3.433M

No wonder our secondary sucks. This figure obviously hasn't been updated to include House. 2.32% of our cap is being spent on CB's. The entire secondary, 12 players, account for $16.771 M or $1.5M more than Clay Matthews.

I know, its just cherry picking #'s and we have young CB's, but wow.

D

Deleted member 6794

Was looking at the cap, salaries and other $$$ things on the Packers today. Had to laugh when I noticed this.

Cap Dollars allocated on positions and the number of players that includes.

Kicker (1): $3.6M

CB (5): $3.433M

No wonder our secondary sucks. This figure obviously hasn't been updated to include House. 2.32% of our cap is being spent on CB's. The entire secondary, 12 players, account for $16.771 M or $1.5M more than Clay Matthews.

I know, its just cherry picking #'s and we have young CB's, but wow.

According to Over the Cap those numbers are a little bit off as based on their information the Packers have allocated $5.5 million to cornerbacks for next season with House's contract still not included.

It's mind-boggling though that Thompson will most likely enter the draft not even spending as much cap space on the position as the team saved by releasing Shields.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
According to Over the Cap those numbers are a little bit off as based on their information the Packers have allocated $5.5 million to cornerbacks for next season with House's contract still not included.

It's mind-boggling though that Thompson will most likely enter the draft not even spending as much cap space on the position as the team saved by releasing Shields.

Guessing Over the Cap is more up to date and/or included Randall as a CB, this site has him at strong safety.

I got those numbers from:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/positional/

But yes, the numbers are very telling. While spending money doesn't guarantee performance, when you don't spend much money on one of the most important positions on defense, your expectations can't be too high.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sure looks like TT doesn't value guards as well as cb's. If guards really don't matter much because they can be compensated by good tackles and centers maybe TT believes cb's are overrated and can be compensated by safties and a stellar pass rush. While I think your team is only as good as its weakest link, it doesn't look like TT believes that in that his team's usually enter the season with big holes in one or more position groups.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
I'm torn between my two most perplexing non-moves:

1 - Not firing TT.

2 - Not firing Capers.

TT wins it by a hair. He has now admitted by resigning House that his decisions at the CB position the last few years are a dumpster fire. Likewise, his 2013 draft is a total washout aside from Bakhtiari. 2011 & 2012 are similar. For a decade he's been riding the coattails of two good draft picks in Rodgers and Nelson plus a good coaching hire in McCarthy, if not for that he would be considered the Tom Braatz of the Packers' 21st century.

He's very similar to Doug Melvin (former Brewers GM) who lucked into Braun and Fielder and never did a thing after that.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It appears to me by the Packers actions that the main priority is to make money and that is more important then winning championships.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not firing Capers. He's had far more chances than any coach that I can recall. The defensive talent procurement has been below average, but it's not for lack of effort. We need a defensive coach who has an eye for talent and can relay that to TT, then execute a competent NFL scheme. The defense NE was running last year was likely far less expensive, had fewer high draft picks, but was still much better.